• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Huntsman spider found in Scottish shipping container

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

On a hot humid night during summer I went back to work to irrigate some vegetables after dark.

Wandered into the pump shed that measures 10ft x 10ft and walked around some obstacles by feel to get to the light switch. On comes the light and 14 motherfucking huntsmen of various sizes surrounded me.

Killed 2 straight away cos I hate spiders and when I turned on the pump the vibrations caused the rest of them to scurry around.

I'm pretty sure I screamed like a kid but got another 3 of them.

My encounter with a 4ft tiger snake after dark could have been potentially much worse. Got the shakes from shock that time, that's how scared I got.

Tiger snakes dont fuck around.

Where I live we get western brown snakes and dugites. They can fuck you up but theyre not as notoriously aggro as tigers or some taipans are.

It's not all bad in Australia... I have two stand out memories of creatures when growing up.

The first was picking bark off a gum tree and a huntsman hiding underneath and scurrying up into my shorts. The bugger didn't even bite me.

The second was running across the bush track to my friends house and jumping over a big 'stick'. As I jumped I realised this stick moved, I turned around and saw a brown snake slither away. Brown snakes are nothing to sneeze at...

"The eastern brown snake, often referred to as the common brown snake, is a species of venomous elapid snake of the genus Pseudonaja. This snake is considered the world's second most venomous land snake based on its LD₅₀ value in mice."

Mupod

Yeah, our house is the same. I can credit my younger daughter for her tremendous empathy toward animals. I'm arachnophobic, and we have a pet tarantula. Go figure. It's helped me come to appreciate spiders. These days we (well, I, everyone else won't touch'em) catch and release spiders and other bugs outside. I actually let the ones my kids are freaking out about alone; they're busy killing bugs, which is a-okay with me.

I inherited a tarantula from my brother in the late 90s, he had a fascination with exotic pets that usually ended a few months into actually taking care of it. But it was a really interesting learning experience even if it's pretty boring as a 'pet'. I didn't handle it or anything but after living with one of those my instinctive 'spider response' was dulled almost to nothing.

Of course one of the things I learned is that tarantulas can squeeze through openings way smaller than you'd expect. Which led to me having to give it away :(

They are chilled spiders and generally don't move when they know you are watching. But if you try and kill them they are fast and try to run away. I don't like to admit but I do kill them if they are inside, as I don't want to risk my dogs getting bitten and becoming sick (or eating the spiders which might also make them sick!). They also can get into annoying places such as on your towel as you get out of the shower - I can say I've had the unpleasurable feeling of rubbing a huntsman on myself... It was big, a bit soft and crunchy...

!

I've thankfully only ever seen one funnel web in my life - yes they are super aggressive and chase YOU. It's not fun trying to squash a spider as it's chasing you around the living room.

!!!!!

I'm pretty sure I would literally die of a heart attack if a fucking big ass venomous spider chased me around my house.

This thread is the worst.

Lorcain

I've thankfully only ever seen one funnel web in my life - yes they are super aggressive and chase YOU. It's not fun trying to squash a spider as it's chasing you around the living room.
Ok...so they do think humans are prey. That's good to know.

Encounters with venomous animals just seems like a typical boring day for an Aussie.

Brazilian Wandering Spider is one of the most scary ones:

hqdefault.jpg

Fuck this spider and its hairy prolapsed butthole.

They are aggressive and they will go for you if they see you. It's one of the things that gives me doubts about visiting the amazon. You cannot be aware all the time.Such a small spider could realistically sneak onto you wherever you are in the rain forest. in a shoe, while sitting down. just jumping down on you from a tree.

commedieu

Banned
Brazilian Wandering Spider is one of the most scary ones:

hqdefault.jpg

Look at the consequences of being bitten by one:

They are aggressive and they will go for you if they see you. It's one of the things that gives me doubts about visiting the amazon. You cannot be aware all the time.Such a small spider could realistically sneak onto you wherever you are in the rain forest. in a shoe, while sitting down. just jumping down on you from a tree.

You turn into a pannini? Or something....?

what in the actual fuck

edit:

Brazilian Wandering Spider is one of the most scary ones
hqdefault.jpg

Look at the consequences of being bitten by one:

fuck this thread

JonnyKong

I really don't like the typical "house spider" that we get a lot of here in the UK, or as I call them, "medium sized spiders". They're just so ugly and brown and menacing looking, and run stupidly fast over your front room carpet when you're trying to watch Eastenders.

I don't think I've ever recovered from the one time I saw one running towards me on my pillow whilst I was trying to sleep.

*shudder*

Moltenix

I've been in enough GAF spider threads to know to turn images off first. As usual, looks like some of you weren't as lucky!

GhaleonEB

I really don't like the typical "house spider" that we get a lot of here in the UK, or as I call them, "medium sized spiders". They're just so ugly and brown and menacing looking, and run stupidly fast over your front room carpet when you're trying to watch Eastenders.

I don't think I've ever recovered from the one time I saw one running towards me on my pillow whilst I was trying to sleep.

*shudder*

Those things utterly freak me out, if they are similar to the ones we get in the US. (Which don't bite people, even when you try to make them, BTW.)

Toxi

Banned
I'm more frightened from scorpions than spiders. It always give me chills when I see a scorpion.
Scorpions can be very nasty. There are some seriously venomous ones out there (and unlike the wandering spider these live close to people in some countries), they're more likely to be provoked, and many more people die from scorpion stings than spider bites every year.

That's not to say Scorpions are out to kill you, they're not, but one should take a lot of precaution with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom