• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GIGATON: Zelda to be a playable character in Tears of The Kingdom

Wait you mean the main character isn't called Zelda?!
Isn't zelda the dude with the sword and the tunic? I thought the entire series was about him.
But i thought you already played as Zelda in all of the games🤯
iu

Batiman

Banned
Can’t wait for this game. I do have to admit that I’m not really feeling the art direction of this game. I liked it when BOTW came out but looking at the characters now make me realize I’m not really digging it. Mostly talking characters though as I do love the world

Bragr

Banned
I know it's a gameplay device, I just don't see why the tweet indicates she's playable. She's not even using it in the pic, she's just holding it and looking at something up to the left.
She's not playable, she's just scanning some stuff. At the absolute very best, you play as her for 5 minutes in the beginning or something, but that's not likely.

Anyone who thinks she's playable and is gonna be "disappointed" when she's not, needs a reality check.

Reactions: Isa

Shut0wen

thats a safe bet. if she is playable it'll only be at certain points in the game like dungeons for example.

there are rumors of zelda being a ghost (i don't know how much there is to back it up) so maybe Link can summon her ghost in dungeons or some shit?
Maybe how come people think shes a ghost? I thought she was at the end of botw haha but yeah i reckon shes only playable in main dungeons and has her own set of skills that are different to links so that the dungeons play out way better

DonF

Stuoid Nintendo uk, why spoil it so close to release??

Maybe even Nintendo feels this game feels too similar to botw and wanna differentiate it?

Isa

I sincerely wish it were so but truly doubt it sadly as that would be too nice. And even if it 'twere so I bet it'd just be some little minor exploration or stealth segment with some annoying limitations making those moments a bother. I'll be keeping my expectations in check as that is just some promo art with no actual dev comments or gameplay showing she is playable. I also wish they went all out with an underworld to explore as that is something I think the devs could really make a fun game around. So much untapped potential for a cool underground romp, even terror filled unknown stuff ala Patrick Stuart's Deep Carbon Observatory and Veins of the Earth tabletop stuff.

I hope so but I don’t see how this tweet confirms anything about playable Zelda. She knows how to use the Sheikah slate because she found it in the first place and uses it in the BotW flashbacks.

So it could be simply cutscenes with her using it in the future.
It also looks like a Switch so it could literally just be a joke that people are reading way too much into.

I’m all for a playable Zelda especially if she has unique abilities and it’s not just a model swap.

daveonezero

Banned
I couldn’t care less…. J hope I’m not forced into anything. Bought to block all Tears of the Kingdom posts as I don’t want spoilers.

Last edited:

Philfrag

Banned
They should make it that you can only play as Zelda and you have to save Link this time. Just imagine the discourse, the complete wasteland Youtube would become.

radewagon

The fact that something this basic would be a gigaton is kind of depressing. Zelda has been portrayed as being quite capable of adventuring for quite some time now. Not sure what the holdup has been with Nintendo not offering her as a second playable character.

Lethal01

The fact that something this basic would be a gigaton is kind of depressing. Zelda has been portrayed as being quite capable of adventuring for quite some time now. Not sure what the holdup has been with Nintendo not offering her as a second playable character.

Sadly this has went from a a neat idea that could easily be awesome if done right and give us some perspective from the second most important character in the franchise to a"SJWs vs THE GAMURS" issue for a lot of issue.

Playable Zelda with some new magic abilities would rock, even if she were just a Link clone it would still rock from a story perspective.

Gambit2483

Fun Fact: There were rumors of a "Playable Zelda" as far back as Ocarina of Time.

Will it finally happen? I guess we'll see....

Last edited:
This would... actually make sense. Zelda was also a big part of the original teaser trailer back at E3 2019. I wonder if the game does have playable Zelda, if the game will be split into chunks where you play as one or the other, depending on where you are in the game.

Either way, maybe this is one of the big surprises of the game they are still holding onto for the proper media event/ Treehouse Live? The game comes out in less than 8 weeks.

I still want to know more about how the game is structured, like assuming there are indeed several proper/ full-size traditional dungeons in this one. It looks that way, from the latest trailer inparticular. But also, curious about volume of the game not in the sky islands, how his corrupted arm/weapon arm works, vehicle building/ modifications, etc.

Oh man, I love this time before a big game like this launches, still a lot left that we don't know.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
This would... actually make sense. Zelda was also a big part of the original teaser trailer back at E3 2019. I wonder if the game does have playable Zelda, if the game will be split into chunks where you play as one or the other, depending on where you are in the game.
She was also the main protagonist for the entire plot of BotW, doesn't mean much.

At first I thought that was the name of the outlet.

It's just probably going to be generic same moves with slight variation for both characters.

Top Bottom