• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gilmore Girls premiered 15 years ago today

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

69wuBDA.jpg

61zQLbk.jpg

On this day 15 years ago, viewers were first given the gift of an episode of one of TV’s wittiest, most delightful series. “Gilmore Girls” premiered on the WB on October 5, 2000.

In the eight years since the series finale of “Gilmore Girls,” fandom hasn’t died down for the dramedy about a fast-talking, constantly pop culture-referencing mother-daughter duo addicted to caffeine, riding the emotional waves of life in their small Connecticut town.

This is the show that made us fall in love with Melissa McCarthy long before “Bridesmaids” was even an idea, the show that made us feel less sheepish about bringing a book everywhere cause Rory does it too, the show that had us aspiring to be as brash and sassy as Paris Geller, the show that introduced us to Jared Padalecki’s ever-evolving mop of hair even before those brown locks appeared on “Supernatural,” the show that melted our hearts at the sight of a thousand yellow daisies, and the show that made us more than happy to spend hours upon hours in Stars Hollow

http://m.hitfix.com/news/on-this-da...y-gilmore-girls-premiered#GJgS30x0DBaK9Mt8.99

Amy Sherman-Palladino and Lauren Graham look back on Gilmore Girls 15 years later

It was Oct. 5, 2000 when Gilmore Girls introduced us to Lorelai and her shy, brilliant daughter, Rory – arguably two of the most caffeinated people in the world – along with the eccentric residents of their hometown of Stars Hollow, Connecticut. Looking back, actress Lauren Graham recalls how she was just about as addicted to coffee as her character.

“I drink a lot of coffee. I would get to this place on-set [of Gilmore Girls] in real life where if I had anymore, I was going to keel over dead,” Lauren Graham tells EW. “So sometimes there was water in there.”

To celebrate the show’s 15th anniversary, EW caught up with Graham and creator Amy Sherman-Palladino to reflect on the pilot that started it all and look ahead to what Rory and Lorelai’s relationship would be like now.

FINDING THE PERFECT LORELAI
When it came to her audition, Graham couldn’t quite put her finger on which scenes she read — it was most likely the opening scene, and possibly the scene in which she confronts Rory about wanting to ditch Chilton for Dean (Jared Padalecki), the new boy in town — but right from the start, Graham felt a “connection” to the role. However she was still attached to another project.

AMY SHERMAN-PALLADINO: Our casting director kept saying, “It’s Lauren Graham, it’s Lauren Graham, it’s Lauren Graham.” He kept putting her picture in front of me and I kept saying, “She’s signed to another show, so I don’t want to fall in love with somebody I can’t have because that’s cruel and I will be going through that for the rest of my life so why do I have to do that now when I’m in charge?” So, it was a little bit like don’t keep bringing up Lauren Graham when we can’t have her. And finally when it was clear that we weren’t finding that magical Lorelai to walk in and be everything that we needed, it was like, “Fine, bring Lauren in. Let me fall in love with somebody I can’t have.” And I got lucky because the other show got canceled, and then I got her.

LAUREN GRAHAM: [Reading through the script] felt like two things: One, the idea of someone else doing it made me really mad [Laughs]. It’s just a spark, you read something and you’re like, “Whoa.” I started playing the character from like page one and sometimes it’s not that seamless. I felt like I knew what the writer meant, you know? It was a connection. I just really connected to the material. Also it didn’t sound like anything else. I was kind of at a weird in-between time when I was reading comedies and dramas and this was a tone that I thought was just really unusual and that attracted me to [Gilmore Girls].

PICKING THE THEME SONG
Each week, Gilmore Girls kicked off with “Where You Lead,” and it’s the “greatest theme song in the entire world,” according to Sherman-Palladino.

SHERMAN-PALLADINO: We were just looking for something that felt classic and you just don’t get more classic than Carole King – there’s just nobody better. It was a song about connection and it was a song about where you lead, I’ll follow – that we’ll always be together. And what’s interesting is I just wanted to use the song off of Tapestry, and we thought there’s no way that was ever going to happen, because how would that happen? We’re a tiny show, we don’t really exist and Carole King is a legend. And we got to her and what was weird is she said, “I don’t do that song anymore in concert because it’s about a woman following a man and I feel that the times are different and I don’t want to be singing about a woman following a man. But I love the idea of a mother and a daughter and if I could re-record it with my daughter and turn this song that I wrote into something more relevant, I would love to do that.”

It was her idea to do it with her daughter [Louise Goffin] which was, you know, our immense good fortune. And if we were on for a hundred years we would never change that theme song. How could you change that theme song? Good Lord. It’s the greatest theme song in the entire world.

CREATING THE FAMILY
Alexis Bledel, who played Rory, and Graham shared an on-set bond, but beyond that, Gilmore Girls explored the extended Gilmore family to create what Sherman-Palladino calls an “intergenerational freak-show.”

SHERMAN-PALLADINO: I think [with] that the combination of that real pro with the girl who kind of just is herself, there was something kind of magical about that and I think that that was partially what made it so special… So, Lauren and Alexis spent a lot of long hours yapping to each other, walking in circles around Stars Hollow. They developed this interesting camaraderie that was, you know, you can’t cast that, it just shows up and then it happens.

GRAHAM: It was great. I’m more loud and vulnerable, [Alexis] is a little – especially in the beginning – shier. So, that was a very natural fit. I’ve told this story before but the only place where she was so new was technically, and that show – as fun and breezy and light as it is – is technically really challenging because Amy liked to get a master, flawless single take….The camera’s following us and we’d have to curve around at a certain point or pause at a certain point. We have a very delineated path and if, you know, she’d sort of stray, we’d pull her back. We have a lot of scenes in those early episodes where I’m literally gluing her to my side. I don’t know if she noticed or cared, it kind of worked and it served to help make us look like this connected duo because I literally wouldn’t let go of her.

SHERMAN-PALLADINO: And we got lucky with Ed [Herrmann] and Kelly [Bishop] because, I don’t think anybody anticipated – I know the studio and the network never really anticipated – how important the parents were going to be. Kelly Bishop was the other Gilmore girl. Gilmore Girls is an intergenerational freak-show. Without all the generations represented, it would not have been complete. I think having those amazing parents/grandparents there, which allowed us to really go places that we wouldn’t have been able to go to with lesser folks, it made our show different because there kind of was no place we could not go.

7lfcXBy.jpg

mgXVoL3.jpg

ASbLO07.jpg

elBt74w.jpg

TOGi4rE.jpg

b2c1Wi3.jpg

ZaM7P4z.jpg

2CS1XjS.jpg

9rBZIhf.jpg

3Z7aWTo.jpg

Watched the full series when it came to Netflix

Amazing TV, earlier seasons definitely the best.

Some what disappointed in Rory's arc with Logan though.

d00d3n

The TV show of all time (except crappy final season). It is so nice that all the seasons are available in high definition now.

Volimar

Great show, baddish plots in the last few seasons. The whole Luke keeping his daughter from Lorelai thing was awful. Rory getting in trouble with the law and fighting with her mom was awful. Luke and Lorelai separating just to try to recapture the tension for a few more seasons was awful. Liked pretty much everything else.

Jess forever, Logan never.

Rory was too good for Logan.

Also too good for broody Jess.

d00d3n

Btw, here is the scene of all time from the tv show of all time. (only recommended for people who have already watched the show, would be spoilery otherwise)

My favorite of all time. I still get tears listening to certain songs. It was a very important part of my life and very influential. It made me want to be better.

Best show

All three of her boyfriends were bad for her in different ways, so I can't see how anyone can advocate for her being with Jess. Dude was a total tool

Jess changed brehs, he was at that hip book store getting his deep ass literature published. Dude was young and wild I'll admit but he turned it around.

My favorite show of all time. I didn't start watching it until reruns on Abcfamily around 2005 or 2006. I watched the final season when it actually aired and while not the best it was an adventure.

I was actually a little down last weekend so I binged half a season one night. God I just love the show so much.

My favorite episode is the 24hour dance. I was always a huge Jess fan but on recent rewatch, I felt like he was barely in the show and they weren't together all that long. Logan may have been the best one for her.

chadskin

I wish there were more quirky, witty and likable shows like GG on TV these days instead of all that samey lawyer/cop/doctor/superhero procedural stuff. This (network) TV season has been particularly awful so far, imho.

Also, yes, Rory's guys all sucked. :)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
my ex girlfriend raved about this and Everstone or whatever that show with the medic and his whiny son was. I watched one episode and bailed, yesh definitely not for me

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I just started the Gilmore Guys podcast today, I must have really really good timing.

Bring back Bunheads!

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I just started the Gilmore Guys podcast today, I must have really really good timing.

Bring back Bunheads!

I will miss Bunheads forever. That was some damn good TV.

Gilmore Girls is great too. It actually sort of helped me get a job earlier this year. One of the guys on the interview committee only remembered me because I brought up how I'd been watching it on Netflix. Every time I saw him around the office he'd be like "You're the Amy Sherman-Palladino guy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom