• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GmanLives: Reviewing Every Uncharted Game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

0:00 Intro
01:15 Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
12:03 Uncharted: Among Thieves
23:30 Uncharted: Drake's Deception
33:45 Uncharted: A Thief's End

The video is a thorough review of every game in the Uncharted series. The reviewer discusses the cinematic influences of the first game, "Drake's Fortune," and praises the likable characters and balanced combat mechanics. They go on to discuss how the second game, "Among Thieves," improves upon the first with larger environments, improved quality of life inclusions, and the addition of new character Chloe Frazier. The reviewer then criticizes the storyline and contrived set pieces of the third game, "Drake's Deception," which they deem the weakest of the original three games. They also express disappointment with the lack of a concise and satisfying experience in Uncharted 4, which deviates from the simple loop of the previous games. The video ends with the reviewer comparing Uncharted's protagonist Nathan Drake to other legendary video game characters.

Drizzlehell

Banned
ZL9uKY3.png

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Like all of them but 4 is light years ahead from the trilogy... it's amazing jump in quality. It's almost hard for me to get back to the trilogy after 4

Drizzlehell

Banned
Like all of them but 4 is light years ahead from the trilogy... it's amazing jump in quality. It's almost hard for me to get back to the trilogy after 4
IMO it's the worst one because it does away with pulpy lighthearted adventure movie tone that they were going for in the first three games and replaces it with some lame family drama and deconstruction of the character.

It also represents everything that has gone wrong with cinematic PlayStation games. The so-called "cinematic" style in the original Uncharted trilogy used to be a fun and exhilarating way to contextualize the gameplay but after The Last of Us, those cinematic elements became the main focus, with gameplay being treated more like a chore that you need to complete in order to get to the next cutscene. And Uncharted 4 is exactly like that.

The best encounters and mechanics are in 4 but it has the LOWEST points as well.

Some of those walking sections are so Long and so Boring. THAT section in Ragnarok is miles better than some of the sections in U4

Despite having the best gameplay the core gameplay was starting to get old anyway by 4.

RagnarokIV

I loved the Legacy Of Kain games, so for me this is Amy Hennig downgrading massively. It's like Scorsese downgrading and making Fast n Furious Press F8 for help.
Own all the games and finished them, but sadly they just don't do anything for me.

GymWolf

4 is only better for combat and graphic, pace, story, chara are even worse than u3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

GymWolf

IMO it's the worst one because it does away with pulpy lighthearted adventure movie tone that they were going for in the first three games and replaces it with some lame family drama and deconstruction of the character.

It also represents everything that has gone wrong with cinematic PlayStation games. The so-called "cinematic" style in the original Uncharted trilogy used to be a fun and exhilarating way to contextualize the gameplay but after The Last of Us, those cinematic elements became the main focus, with gameplay being treated more like a chore that you need to complete in order to get to the next cutscene. And Uncharted 4 is exactly like that.
Tbf gameplay wise u4 is a couple of galaxies better than the first 3.

Not that it was an hard task at all...

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned

Thank you, i couldn't have said it better. I can see the high quality of Uncharted 4, but to me it's the worst Uncharted game for the above reasons. 1-3 are just more fun to play.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Uncharted 4 is honestly the only ND game they've ever made that I enjoyed. Never could make it through the 1st Uncharted game. Didn't make it through TLOU. Hated Crash.

Uncharted 4 actually had a nice gameplay addition with the grappling hook. And it's got some of the best spectacle scenes ever made, like the car chase and motorcycle chase. I can't say I gave a damn about any of the story, but it was fine I guess. Even the multiplayer was pretty fun. I think it's easily their best game from what I've played.

Damigos

Uncharted 4 is honestly the only ND game they've ever made that I enjoyed. Never could make it through the 1st Uncharted game. Didn't make it through TLOU. Hated Crash.

Uncharted 4 actually had a nice gameplay addition with the grappling hook. And it's got some of the best spectacle scenes ever made, like the car chase and motorcycle chase. I can't say I gave a damn about any of the story, but it was fine I guess. Even the multiplayer was pretty fun. I think it's easily their best game from what I've played.
Are you sure you're in the right forum ?

GymWolf

Gman is probably one of the most FUN reviewer's out there. Hell, he plays games like people say reviewer's should and now he's an idiot lol
I just needed to watch his review of evil west where he compared a gameplay centric game to a cinematic game because you have some rare light puzzles and exploration to find stuff to know that he is an idiot, if you enjoy him, good for you.

Dude sound like your average old man yelling at modern gaming/wannabe elitist.

Last edited:

Puscifer

I just needed to watch his review of evil west where he compared a gameplay centric game to a cinematic game because you have some rare light puzzles and exploration to find stuff to know that he is an idiot, if you enjoy him, good for you.

Then you've clearly not watched enough of his catalog. I don't agree with everything he says but he's still enjoyable

GymWolf

Then you've clearly not watched enough of his catalog. I don't agree with everything he says but he's still enjoyable
Do i need to watch more when his opinion was so fucking wrong on a game that i enjoyed? I mean, Unless he is a bipolar dude with wildly different opinions at any given moment...

The old gamer who hate everything that is not old school shtik, is not exactly what i enjoy the most...

At best i listen to him when i wanna hear a critical drinker accent and there are no new videos from that guy.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I loved the Legacy Of Kain games, so for me this is Amy Hennig downgrading massively. It's like Scorsese downgrading and making Fast n Furious Press F8 for help.
Own all the games and finished them, but sadly they just don't do anything for me.
Well originally Drake's brother was going to be the bad guy rather than his buddy.

Drizzlehell

Banned

The convoy chase sequence was the only part of that game that genuinely made feel excited on the same level that the previous 3 games did. There was maybe like one other moment where you had to escape through collapsing ruins that was fun, but otherwise the game really compartmentalizes its elements. Oh, now it's the climbing section. Oh, now it's a shooting gallery. Oh, now it's the slow walking and talking part. Oh, now it's a cutscene. Rinse and repeat. It would feel more like an evolution of the style if they made more effort to somehow combine those things together, like in the convoy chase sequence.

Also, those climbing sections are way too drawn out, lol.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The convoy chase sequence was the only part of that game that genuinely made feel excited on the same level that the previous 3 games did. There was maybe like one other moment where you had to escape through collapsing ruins that was fun, but otherwise the game really compartmentalizes its elements. Oh, now it's the climbing section. Oh, now it's a shooting gallery. Oh, now it's the slow walking and talking part. Oh, now it's a cutscene. Rinse and repeat. It would feel more like an evolution of the style if they made more effort to somehow combine those things together, like in the convoy chase sequence.

Also, those climbing sections are way too drawn out, lol.
I could see how it would get grating on repeat playthroughs. I just played it once, but did actually play the multiplayer for a while as well.

I just thought the platforming was infinitely better with the grappling hook.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't know who this guy is, but as a huge fan of the uncharted series and was there day one on every release thx to my love for Nate as a character...this guy absolutely nails his review on uncharted 4. My thoughts and sentiments exactly.

Maybe none fans of the originals liked it, but for any fan..it was just like "what the fuck is this?"

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
GmanLives is a huge PC FPS player, and one of my “go to” guys when looking into games.

I’ll have to check out his thoughts on Uncharted.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned

Yeah, I enjoy his videos more when he's talking about boomer shooters. Seems like it's more within his ballpark than when he talks about other genres.

Fbh

Watched the Uncharted 2 part and it feels more like a description of the game than a review. Though I agree with on of his few review points that the abundance of bullet sponges towards the end is annoying and kills the flow of the combat.

Anyway, 2 is probably still my favorite, IMO it has the best story, characters, locations and set piece moments.

Also IMO visually both U2 and 3 have held up incredibly well. They do of course look dated and way less realistic than the newer games but the more stylized visuals still look nice and the lighting still make the environments pop
Like this stuff still looks great IMO:
FC8acnwXEAAs3Rh.jpg:large

813535-uncharted-3-drake-s-deception-playstation-4-screenshot-browsing.jpg

If you gave me mid budget games on ps5 with these visuals and 4K60 I'd be pretty happy

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
I loved 1 through 4, with 4 being the best. Lost Legacy was a dumpster fire jeep simulator gaggling geese fest.

Top Bottom