• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GMR and XBN magazines are no more

Gazunta

WarPig said:
This brings the total number of dead publications I've written for to...five, I guess, if you count Gamers.com, which I do. XBN, GMR, GameNow, Gamers, and Gamers' Republic. Anybody else have some numbers of their own? I'll bet Gaz leaves me in the shade.

DFS.

Because you asked:

Hotgames.com (Reading this thread now, can't believe i got so many of you guys in on that)
Gamers.com (to date my highest paying job ever, which is kinda tragic)
N64 Magazine (ghost wrote a piece for someone - snuck both my and John_tv's IRC nicks in there)
Video Games Underground (paid like crap, but it was a fun mag to write)
GBHQ (Sort of counts - it was my site, but I sold it to uncle ziff, and it died very quickly)
Game NOW (I wrote one tiny piece about Yugioh, the editor rang me at like 4 in the morning and I couldn't say no)

Holy crap, looking over my list, it seems everywhere else is still alive. TV Week, The Australian, PC Authority, Sunday Mail, Gamespot, Pocket Games, IGN, Official Australian Xbox Mag...

(are we counting just ones that actually paid? If not, the list would get way bigger...I did way too much free writing when I was young and naive)

Gazunta

john tv said:
Ferr, you never did anything for IG? Was that before your time?

What about XG?

Speaking of Hotgames, whatever happaned to Scary Larry?

The last I heard he got a job running Pokémon USA in New York for a stupid amount of cash - I know that coz I was offered the job first. :)

Gazunta

eXxy said:
that's not even the half of it. because of millennium's previous fuck ups on getting me an e3 badge, my dad and i had to track down an e3 guide, find the millennium publishing booth and i sent him into the show in search of fernando or someone who could help. i can't even imagine the ridiculous conversation my dad must have had; he barely knows what it is i do now, let alone back then.

Heh, your poor dad, he looked so afraid this giant Australian was gonna pick you up and throw you around the room :)

WarPig

Gazunta said:
I just realised all of page 10 of this thread is about me.

That's cool!

Now it just needs that picture of you licking Dave Z, and the thread will have completely derailed from its original solemn intentions.

ObGMR: Everyone who didn't like the big pink DOAU cover is a dumb-dumb head.

DFS.

I did some preview/filler/"humor" content writing for Pocket Gamer and the Official Playstation Magazine, largely thanks to the fine chaps Kraig Kujawa and Dan Peluso. I did some filler shit for the ZD Dreamcast mag, too, if I remember correctly.

I've written a significant number of reviews for Computer Games Magazine over the past three or so years, as well. I busted Deus Ex 2 in the chops and got a little flak, but other than that, my little off-hours foray into videogaming journalism has been less-than-exciting. In the end, most games are unpleasantly average; I used to actually BECOME HAPPY when I got a shitty game, since I knew the review would not only flow onto the page in a sludgy treacle of hyperbolic negativity, but that I would actually write a review folks might READ and ENJOY and not just skim with their eyes as their tracking function scanned for the score.

fausty

WarPig said:
Whatever became of Ryan Lockhart? He was at EGM for a while, at the same time Mielke and Sam K were on board, but after that I never heard what happened.

DFS.
AHEM.

Why exactly did you get fired from GR? Let me guess, you disagreed with Dave?

fausty

WarPig said:
This brings the total number of dead publications I've written for to...five, I guess, if you count Gamers.com, which I do. XBN, GMR, GameNow, Gamers, and Gamers' Republic. Anybody else have some numbers of their own? I'll bet Gaz leaves me in the shade.

DFS.
GameFan
Gamers' Republic
incite Video Games
Versus Books

EGM is the only one that surivived my curse... Yay!

Gazunta

WarPig said:
Now it just needs that picture of you licking Dave Z, and the thread will have completely derailed from its original solemn intentions.
DONE.

e3_browzer-davez-gaz-anoop-dave.jpg

(Can you guys tell I'm off from work today?) :)

PS: Exxy: Oh, he sure did :) But I gave you a piggy back ride the year after so it's all good.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Wow. Someone looks like they're in mid-barf there.

WarPig

fausty said:
AHEM.

Why exactly did you get fired from GR? Let me guess, you disagreed with Dave?

Oh, my bad. For some reason, I thought you were Dave Hodgson.

There were a lot of reasons, but mostly it was because I told Dave to "fuck off" a whole lot. There was one time where I told him to "go fuck yourself, you fat bastard." I was young and impetuous at the time.

DFS.

fausty

WarPig said:
Oh, my bad. For some reason, I thought you were Dave Hodgson.
Me weeps openly.

WarPig said:
There were a lot of reasons, but mostly it was because I told Dave to "fuck off" a whole lot. There was one time where I told him to "go fuck yourself, you fat bastard." I was young and impetuous at the time.

DFS.
Wow. Yeah, that likely did it. We normally told Dave to "fuck off" really quietly... You know, when he was in the other room.

WarPig

fausty said:
Wow. Yeah, that likely did it. We normally told Dave to "fuck off" really quietly... You know, when he was in the other room.

Well, like I say, I was 20 years old. And Dave was doing shit like trying to put South Park Rally on the cover of the magazine.

DFS.

Matlock

Banned
WarPig said:
Well, like I say, I was 20 years old. And Dave was doing shit like trying to put South Park Rally on the cover of the magazine.

DFS.

Somewhere deep inside, I know you're not joking.

And that somewhere is crying. crying.

fausty

Matlock said:

Hey, Dave loved South Park. Really, really, loved South Park. I remember the N64 shooter made him giggle like a schoolgirl...

WarPig

Matlock said:

South Park Rally is actually a funny story (one I guess I can tell now, because Millennium Publications no longer exists, and thus presumably cannot sue me). Gamers' Republic and Acclaim had this long-running beef dating back to before I signed on, something to do with a Turok 2 guide that never happened. To settle it, Acclaim said give us a cover story gratis (among other concessions) or we cut you off, no ads and no preview support. So the management, since they were petrified of the notion of losing support, even from degenerate scumbags like Acclaim (and by the way, you cannot believe how wonderful it is to be able to finally slander Acclaim to one's heart's content), knuckled under and said okay, we'll put South Park Rally on the cover.

Dave liked South Park, see. The fact that South Park Rally was complete shit was immaterial.

He kept the fact that SPR was going on the cover from most of the editors and designers until the last minute, fearing the revolt that would inevitably follow. However, due to a combination of factors -- the editors and designers being completely pissed, plus weird front-office shenanigans I never got the full story on -- that issue missed deadline and never shipped. The South Park Rally cover image never appeared anywhere, except on the Italian edition of GR. It was one of the ugliest pieces of 3D art I've ever seen in my life.

DFS.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
MarkMacD said:
The sad thing is, the only part of that story that surprises me is that there was an Italian edition of GR.

It'sa me! Dave Halverson!

WarPig

MarkMacD said:
The sad thing is, the only part of that story that surprises me is that there was an Italian edition of GR.

Hey, for an encore someday, I'll tell you the one about the Arc the Lad cover.

DFS.

fausty

MarkMacD said:
Bah, you're just jealous. And to think, you were almost a part of the Halverson world... I think I still have your sample review somewhere... Wonder Dog was it? :D

WarPig

fausty said:
Bah, you're just jealous. And to think, you were almost a part of the Halverson world... I think I still have your sample review somewhere... Wonder Dog was it? :D

Man, Dave loved him some Wonder Dog. I still remember him talking about how Core needed to do another Wonder Dog, as late as 2000.

The Italian edition of GR, surprisingly, was my first cover story. They put my Final Fantasy VIII review on the cover, for whatever reason (I think it was in the Wipeout 3 issue of the US mag).

DFS.

john tv

Drinky Crow said:
God I love Halverson stories. Keep 'em comin'!
Hey, someone tell the story about them slipping acid in Halverson's coffee? (Or something like that.)

Or the time the Japanese correspondent guy jerked off a dog?

DarkFact, God rest his soul, used to tell us loads of really interesting stories about the shit that went down there.

I know K Lee knows a lot too, though. He had plenty to share when we were working together on EGM back in the day...... :)

WarPig

john tv said:
Hey, someone tell the story about them slipping acid in Halverson's coffee? (Or something like that.)

AC Styles dosed the office coffee pot. I'm told that it wasn't just Dave who got high, although it was certainly Dave whose trip was immortalized in print.

The Arc the Lad cover story. Okay. Goes like this. After the South Park Rally issue missed deadline, they had all this content left over. So Dave said, we'll do a big double issue, relaunch the magazine, draw new readers, woo-ha!

This issue would have a big-time world-exclusive cover story. So secret and sensitive nobody could be told about it until very late in the game. Dave actually told people about it at different times according to when he thought they would rebel, so the editors who were still in his camp found out before the designers -- Gerald Abraham, Jeremy Corby -- who pretty much hated his guts at that point. Corby quit after that issue shipped.

The world exclusive, of course, was Arc the Lad Collection.

What's worse, the story was laid on so quickly and the art assets that were available were so sparse that the cover turned out to have the same art on it as the two-page GameFan import spread on Arc the Lad II, from years before (Casey Loe wrote that, it was a good piece). Some wag at the office (I think JR Haugen, the little shit they hired as a temp who kept hanging around because Dave didn't have the heart to kick him out) brought in that issue of GameFan, scanned those pages, and tacked a pair of comparison printouts on the office bulletin board.

Oh, and the internet got the Arc Collection scoop before the issue hit stands anyway.

The Arc the Lad issue is still nine kinds of awesome, though, because it has Tom Stratton's immortal interview with Snoop Dogg, where Snoop outlines the kind of game he would like to make -- a Resident Evil-style horror adventure featuring urban gang-banging and lycanthropic dogs. I shit you not. It also has the Sakura Tsuushin review where I called for the public execution of ADV Films.

DFS.

fausty

john tv said:

Happened right before I got there, but the story was still buzzing when I was hired. That was Andrew, he put a tab in the coffee pot but only two people got hit - Dave and a layout artist...damn, what was his name...some guy that played guitar. Dave wrote his now-famous Cybermorph review, and the artist chased our acid-dropper out of the building the next day - almost killed him as the legend goes - and Andrew had to stay out of the office for a month or so. Thing is, Andrew didn't do it to be mean, he just wanted people to lighten up or something - just a joke that went too far.

john tv said:
Or the time the Japanese correspondent guy jerked off a dog?
Fuck you for bringing up that nicely buried memory. "He likes it!" was the quote that gave me nightsweats for weeks.

WarPig

MarkMacD said:
Maybe enough stuff for a new thread here?

Actually, I'm nearly out of good ones. I was only there for nine months, sadly.

There's the one about how ECM got his job at GameFan by literally showing up on the doorstep, but that came from Frank Martinez, so I can't consider it completely reliable.

DFS.

Matlock

Banned
WarPig said:
because it has Tom Stratton's immortal interview with Snoop Dogg, where Snoop outlines the kind of game he would like to make -- a Resident Evil-style horror adventure featuring urban gang-banging and lycanthropic dogs. I shit you not.

:lol

Man, if there was ever a scan of a mag I wanted to see, it's that one.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
john tv said:
Who wrote that article? I hate it when sites or mags use "I" over and over and then don't even list a byline. Hello?

Just checked the backend, but it wasn't tagged. I sent out an email to the Biz side, and I'll have your answer shortly.

john tv

Agent Dormer said:
Just checked the backend, but it wasn't tagged. I sent out an email to the Biz side, and I'll have your answer shortly.
Thanks! Don't mind my grumpy ass. It's 9:40am here, a good two hours before my body thinks I should be allowed to wake up.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
john tv said:
Thanks! Don't mind my grumpy ass. It's 9:40am here, a good two hours before my body thinks I should be allowed to wake up.

The Biz side tends to isolate themselves from the main site anyway, so I'm not hurt in the slightest.

BuddyC

Agent Dormer said:
The Biz side tends to isolate themselves from the main site anyway, so I'm not hurt in the slightest.
That's a nice way of putting it, yea. They share the GameDAILY name and, well, that's it, actually.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
john tv said:
Who wrote that article? I hate it when sites or mags use "I" over and over and then don't even list a byline. Hello?

Sorry about the lack of bylines. Believe me, I would certainly prefer them....

Edit: You're right about the isolation, but I'm not sure I understand the chip that seems to be on your shoulder about it. They are literally two completely separate publications (at least for now). GameDaily BIZ used to be just gamedaily... but it had to change when "gamedaily" became the consumer site. Spinning off with its own domain and a new name would have confused readers too much.

Edit2: The guy that freelances the media coverage column every week respectfully asked that I not spill the beans. It's not some great secret or anything shocking... he just prefers it that way.

jamesb23

We isolate ourselves because we are too cool for you or something...

As for the bylines, it's just Biz policy guys; it's how our CEO wants it. Sorry.

GDJustin

jamesb23 said:
We isolate ourselves because we are too cool for you or something...

*high five*

They outnumber us like 10 (12? 14?) to 2.... at E3 we will need to form alliances with some of the more persuadable consumer writers to survive, or else they will exact their revenge upon us when we sleep.

BuddyC

Hey now, let's not turn this into a GD thread. After all, we have our own staff forum...

Personally, I need to hear about the Japanese correspondent jerking off a dog if I want to continue functioning as a human being.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Gazunta said:
N64 Magazine (ghost wrote a piece for someone - snuck both my and John_tv's IRC nicks in there)

I don't suppose that was the UK mag by any chance? If so, that was awesome...for a while. Then the team changed, went shit.

GDJustin

ferricide said:
well, then stories shouldn't be written in the first person. duh?

I think you're preaching to the choir here... neither james nor myself wrote the piece, and it wasn't our decision to not run with bylines...

Gazunta

Mama Smurf said:
I don't suppose that was the UK mag by any chance? If so, that was awesome...for a while. Then the team changed, went shit.

Yah, the UK one. It was good back when there was hope for the N64.

Top Bottom