• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GMR and XBN magazines are no more

WarPig

Matlock said:
What did you get the degree in?

I have a Bachelor of Arts in history (University of Washington, 1997), and a Master of Science in Library Science (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1999), making me one of the most overeducated people in North American games writing. There are some other master's degrees floating around out there (Peer Schneider at IGN has one, I think), but they're not common.

Incidentally, library science is not a science. I think academic librarians just like to call it that to make themselves feel better about getting paid thirty grand a year for entry-level gigs.

DFS.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm frightened by the fantasy prospect of a game magazine written by proper journalists. no, that's not accurate. i can't even imagine what the people who want such a thing have in mind. there are a lot of a journalism graduate has learned how to do, but "write" isn't often one of them.

might as well muse on games journalism here, because no one else wants to hear it. and because i've just engaged in it, however inauspiciously. i can't comfortably sneer at game writing anymore, because it turns out i'm very bad at it. any wit or ease or perspicience i might tentatively display on this board evaporates the moment you sit me in front of a word processor, at which point i automatically produce very bad, very dutiful school assignments. but i'm not actually embarrassed by my bad review, because i think it demonstrates the thing that matters in game writing: that the writer played the game with his eyes open, and wrote his piece without naive recourse to stock phrases. and that's what i liked in xbn generally. not that it can't be sneered at, or that the writing therein is uniformly good. it can, and it isn't. just that it had moments of sharp, specific, personal observation. there are xbn lines i'll remember. and it sucks that i can't read it anymore.

there were elements of that whole "new games journalism" position that i liked: it values talent, it militates against cliché and generality. but i don't agree that idea that the capital "i" should be foregrounded, or that games writing should be about the feelings games elicit. no one would contend that books should be written about that way. i'm not arguing that games are like books, or that games are as important as books, but if games have any value at all, then to write about a game should be to observe it intensely and tease out its essential quiddity or whatness. and if games have no value at all, then games journalism is a stupid joke, and the hacks have it right.

RIP xbn. i've only read a couple issues of gmr, and i didn't come away with any strong impressions, but the posts in this thread make me want to read back issues.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
drohne, we will hopefully have opportunities to work together in the near future.

that said, here's my press release:

CHE CHOU IS AVAILABLE FOR HIRE Q1 2005.

FartOfWar

Banned
WarPig said:
I have a Bachelor of Arts in history (University of Washington, 1997), and a Master of Science in Library Science (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1999), making me one of the most overeducated people in North American games writing. There are some other master's degrees floating around out there (Peer Schneider at IGN has one, I think), but they're not common.

Incidentally, library science is not a science. I think academic librarians just like to call it that to make themselves feel better about getting paid thirty grand a year for entry-level gigs.

DFS.

BA in English (UW, as well), MA in English (WWU). You know that Dave. :)

drohne, tell me about it. I've written a couple amusing articles/reviews for CGM I'm proud of, but that's it. The rest are either painfully prolix drek, or exercises in terribly geeky enthusiasm. My best work occurs when I hafta keep it short and sweet, and my instinct to indulge is thwarted. My worst stuff comes when the web format allows me to ramble. When you're on deadline and don't have any context beyond some very mixed feelings on an average game, it's hard to write really engaging and clever content.

The worst writing occurs when the reviewer follows one of the two defacto approaches:

1) the hardcoded paragraph essay style. Intro->Background->Graphics->Sound->Mechanics->Observations->Summary. YUCK. I used to get really lazy and follow this style, and it produced some of the most absolutely unreadable crap.

2) the rambling self-indulgent anecdotal style (also known as the Gamefan style). Littered with inside gags or stark attempts at geek humor, it's not so much purely subjective as it is purely SELFISH. All reviews are fundamentally subjective, but the idea is to bring the reader in, not to pimp your nerd personality and knowledge of trivia.

Both styles have one thing in common: they're utterly LAZY. A tight, loose style that keeps the first-person references to zero and draws apt analogies is probably the most effective. Massive bonus points for clever metaphors, insightful gags, and a little meta-commentary to put it all in perspective.

I've written quite a bit of freelance game mag content and I'm multi-degree'd. Let's not make snarky remarks about gaming journos, here; if their post quality is any indicator, they're quite a bit more educated than the norm around these parts.

To the ZD Folks: What ever happened to Dan Peluso?

WarPig

Drinky Crow said:
1) the hardcoded paragraph essay style. Intro->Background->Graphics->Sound->Mechanics->Observations->Summary. YUCK. I used to get really lazy and follow this style, and it produced some of the most absolutely unreadable crap.

In my defense, IGN made me do it.

DFS.

skip

Drinky Crow said:
I've written quite a bit of freelance game mag content and I'm multi-degree'd. Let's not make snarky remarks about gaming journos, here; if their post quality is any indicator, they're quite a bit more educated than the norm around these parts.

afaik, he's still doing stuff with our specials (pocket games, buyer's guide). good guy, dan.

XS+

Banned
drohne said:
i'm frightened by the fantasy prospect of a game magazine written by proper journalists. no, that's not accurate. i can't even imagine what the people who want such a thing have in mind. there are a lot of a journalism graduate has learned how to do, but "write" isn't often one of them.

might as well muse on games journalism here, because no one else wants to hear it. and because i've just engaged in it, however inauspiciously. i can't comfortably sneer at game writing anymore, because it turns out i'm very bad at it. any wit or ease or perspicience i might tentatively display on this board evaporates the moment you sit me in front of a word processor, at which point i automatically produce very bad, very dutiful school assignments. but i'm not actually embarrassed by my bad review, because i think it demonstrates the thing that matters in game writing: that the writer played the game with his eyes open, and wrote his piece without naive recourse to stock phrases. and that's what i liked in xbn generally. not that it can't be sneered at, or that the writing therein is uniformly good. it can, and it isn't. just that it had moments of sharp, specific, personal observation. there are xbn lines i'll remember. and it sucks that i can't read it anymore.

there were elements of that whole "new games journalism" position that i liked: it values talent, it militates against cliché and generality. but i don't agree that idea that the capital "i" should be foregrounded, or that games writing should be about the feelings games elicit. no one would contend that books should be written about that way. i'm not arguing that games are like books, or that games are as important as books, but if games have any value at all, then to write about a game should be to observe it intensely and tease out its essential quiddity or whatness. and if games have no value at all, then games journalism is a stupid joke, and the hacks have it right.

RIP xbn. i've only read a couple issues of gmr, and i didn't come away with any strong impressions, but the posts in this thread make me want to read back issues.

No offense, but I don't think any gaming mag would survive were your style the norm.

any wit or ease or perspicience i might tentatively display on this board evaporates the moment you sit me in front of a word processor, at which point i automatically produce very bad, very dutiful school assignments.

Maybe this means you're not as skilled a scribe as you fancy yourself to be.

BTW, I don't think there's a science to reviewing games. Once you begin adhering to any particular form, you're bound to bore and alienate readership. Just write. If you can't write, don't review games.

ferricide

skip said:
afaik, he's still doing stuff with our specials (pocket games, buyer's guide). good guy, dan.
yerp. he was my point-of-contact on the latest pocket games, for which i wrote the mario 64 DS review.

Raddock

Drinky Crow said:

Dan pretty much only works on the specials now. (Pocket Games, Codebook, etc.)

XS+ said:
Maybe this means you're not as skilled a scribe as you fancy yourself to be.

Or maybe it just means he's realistic in his self-perception and mature enough to not harbor self-illusions of grandeur. True knowledge is knowing you know nothing, and all that, and there's nothing more mature than recognizing your own immaturity. Contrapositively, there's nothing more immature than thinking you know everything, and that's what makes for the really, really shitty game writing.

Drinky Crow said:
2) the rambling self-indulgent anecdotal style (also known as the Gamefan style)

I believe this is now commonly referred to as the "Knowlesian style."

Matlock

Banned
gmrwallpaper800.jpg

http://s93066194.onlinehome.us/gmrwallpaper800.jpg
http://s93066194.onlinehome.us/gmrwallpaper1280.jpg
http://s93066194.onlinehome.us/gmrwallpaper1600.jpg

Did this wallpaper with the images I have of the covers--may redo if I ever get 24 and 25's covers.

I think the most important factors that separate the print media from the web are still length and level of quality. A review that is worked on for a week or more is always going to be better than the final product of a reviewer who does two games a week (like I do, and my reviews could be a lot better than they are, but I simply do not have the time to make them as good as I would be comfortable with). And, as Mr. Crow already pointed out, prolixity on the web is often detrimental to the writing process. Complete freedom in terms of length tends to lead to less refined work. Perhaps this does not apply to all writers, but I'm sure it does to many -- most notably the fellows over at IGN, who, after so many years of doing what they do, still can't seem to write a preview or review without talking about how much their demand froths, or spewing out similar usage of wreckless imagery and diction. The gaming press as a whole still has a long way to go to present journalism on the level of publications like Rolling Stone, sure, but I feel that the print media is far ahead of the web, for the most part.

novery

This news came as a particular shock to me because I think I was on the verge of convincing XBN's Managing Editor Cindy Lum (http://xbn_cindy.1up.com) to feature a snazzy European carry-all in the mag's "Stuff" section. I think she was finally warming up to the idea after six months of coaxing.

european.jpg

(faces hidden to protect the innocent)

She kept saying "No 'man purses' will ever grace the pages of XBN," but I think I was creepin up on a breakthrough. Tell me this wouldn't have fit in the Stuff section. Tell me!

-rp

mosaic

go eat paint
Pocket Games 4EVER!

(Yeah, it's high priced. Yes, some of the material is dated. Yes, the guides are hit or miss. But it's all written from the heart damnit [very little to no repurposing from EGM], and on deadlines that'd make you cringe.)

Amir0x

Banned
novery said:
This news came as a particular shock to me because I think I was on the verge of convincing XBN's Managing Editor Cindy Lum (http://xbn_cindy.1up.com) to feature a snazzy European carry-all in the mag's "Stuff" section. I think she was finally warming up to the idea after six months of coaxing.

european.jpg

She kept saying "No 'man purses' will ever grace the pages of XBN," but I think I was creepin up on a breakthrough. Tell me this wouldn't have fit in the Stuff section. Tell me!

-rp

Aw, that would have been so awesome :(

MC Safety

novery said:

european.jpg

-rp

Sadly, the last item in "Stuff" will not be a manpurse for which you will be forever hideously mocked for wearing, but rather some sort of super router.

I was, however, looking forward to your next Japanese Xbox game review.

idgirl

And you should see the friggin' tote bag he's carrying around now.

It will NEVER be in Stuff, Ryan "Man-Purse" Payton, as long as I am managing editor of XBN, oh wait...

novery

idgirl said:
And you should see the friggin' tote bag he's carrying around now.

It will NEVER be in Stuff, Ryan "Man-Purse" Payton, as long as I am managing editor of XBN, oh wait...

Oh Snap!

-rp

PS. Welcome to the Gaming Age Forums.

WarPig

Matlock said:
Did this wallpaper with the images I have of the covers--may redo if I ever get 24 and 25's covers.

I don't like the game, but I still really like that Xenosaga cover. The Chewy Issue!

If you're gonna put one of the pink covers in, though, I like the DOAU one better.

DFS.

WarPig

Matlock said:
I dunno, it's cool and all--but the Republic Commando one is my favorite by far.

Republic Commando was cool because it was the first one to look really unconventional like that. Well, I guess the Soul Calibur cover was pretty funky, but Republic Commando
was much more so. Came off pretty well, too.

BTW, what's on the other two covers you're short? I bet I could find the images for you if you wanted.

DFS.

Matlock

Banned
WarPig said:
Republic Commando was cool because it was the first one to look really unconventional like that. Well, I guess the Soul Calibur cover was pretty funky, but Republic Commando
was much more so. Came off pretty well, too.

Ah yes, the SC2 cover...of which I loved for two obvious reasons.

tittahs5yd.jpg

BTW, what's on the other two covers you're short? I bet I could find the images for you if you wanted.

DFS.

I got the highest-res stuff I could get from skip--but it was only 1-23.

Matlock

Banned
Oh, and I guess the covers for 24 and 25 are Halo 2 and Resident Evil 4, respectively. The Halo 2 issue should be still at home, and I haven't even seen it yet.

WarPig

JackFrost2012 said:
Or maybe it just means he's realistic in his self-perception and mature enough to not harbor self-illusions of grandeur. True knowledge is knowing you know nothing, and all that, and there's nothing more mature than recognizing your own immaturity. Contrapositively, there's nothing more immature than thinking you know everything, and that's what makes for the really, really shitty game writing.

As a rule, I've found that hating what you write usually means you're on the right track. I've been getting paid to do this shit for going on six years now, and I can think of maybe two things off the top of my head that I'd want to read again or remember fondly.

And one of them is the ZOE review, which sucks, but has Gogg in it.

DFS.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
WarPig said:
As a rule, I've found that hating what you write usually means you're on the right track.

completely true. whenever i do write something i think has the potential to end up being personally likable, when it's published (especially in print), i immediately loathe most of it.

eXxy said:
completely true. whenever i do write something i think has the potential to end up being personally likable, when it's published (especially in print), i immediately loathe most of it.

As they tell you in writing class, "kill your darlings."

Usually when I'm writing something and I'm thinking to myself "this is the worst shit ever," it's an indication that people will like it. No idea why.

JackFrost2012 said:
As they tell you in writing class, "kill your darlings."
Also sad but true. Anything I actually like is generally shit.

Top Bottom