• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GMR and XBN magazines are no more

skip

Soul4ger said:
I enjoyed the mag immensely, which I can't say of any other in the last two years. My boss told me about us not carrying it anymore on friday night, but, according to him, ZD was simply stopping the publishing deal with us - they weren't completely dropping the magazine. Maybe some of you former GMR editors can head over to EGM and straighten it out. DO IT.

actually, it was EB's decision to pull the plug. that's what our superiors told us, so of course there's a bias. but EB was never really "into" us anyways, even though we were indeed profitable.

ferricide

AbeFroman said:
You mean EGM can't get away with putting "$250 of EB Games Coupons Inside" on every cover?
we appreciate the sympathy, but GI employees taking potshots at EGM undercover is marginally uncouth.

Blazyr

Bummer.

I did 7 years at EB before taking the plunge into writing. They really were not focused on what they were doing with GMR. Instead it was more of a knee jerk reaction by an incoming management outsider after seeing the competition had their own magazine. Their indecision was pretty clear from the fact that they continued their relationship with Gamespot to source their quasi-editorial content at ebgames.com.

The timing is especially tough, but probably coincides with EB's fiscal calendar which closes at the end of January.

I only got to write a couple of previews for them before the editorial lineup shuffled, but they are good folks. I wish them all the best.

I already missed Next Gen.; now there's another on that list.

Milkman

Blazyr said:
Bummer.

I did 7 years at EB before taking the plunge into writing. They really were not focused on what they were doing with GMR. Instead it was more of a knee jerk reaction by an incoming management outsider after seeing the competition had their own magazine. Their indecision was pretty clear from the fact that they continued their relationship with Gamespot to source their quasi-editorial content at ebgames.com.

The timing is especially tough, but probably coincides with EB's fiscal calendar which closes at the end of January.

I only got to write a couple of previews for them before the editorial lineup shuffled, but they are good folks. I wish them all the best.

I already missed Next Gen.; now there's another on that list.

Blayzr pretty much has the gist of it. We're actually a very profitable magazine, so this hasn't been a result of poor performance, but more of a business decision resulting from a partner who wasn't really committed to co-publishing a mag. It's a tough decision, but that's how it goes. Still, every one of us on the staff is proud of the magazine we put out every month, and we're glad for all the support we've gotten from everyone for the last two years. You'll no doubt see some of us again in the near future.

In the meanwhile, we're definitely going out with a bang. We have Resident Evil 4 as an exclusive review, and I'm very glad about that. It's such a great game and GMR is the only place in print you'll be able to read the review (for the February issues, everyone else gets to run their opinions in March issues). That said, the whole issue is packed full of cool stuff, and we hope you like it. We think the cover is pretty hot too. :)

Thanks for everything. We'll see you soon.

~Milkman

Gorey

So I get it that folks like XBN, but what other decent general gaming mags are left?

The biggest standout about GMR was how independant they managed to be despite their funding source, at least in my opinion. Big props to all involved for the hard work that must've entailed.

If the industry is still growing, why is print doing so badly? Is the 'net affecting it that much?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Milkman said:
Blayzr pretty much has the gist of it. We're actually a very profitable magazine, so this hasn't been a result of poor performance, but more of a business decision resulting from a partner who wasn't really committed to co-publishing a mag.
Fucking ridiculous.

Good luck to all of you guys (yeah, you too Pfister :)) in finding new gigs.

WarPig

Gorey said:
If the industry is still growing, why is print doing so badly? Is the 'net affecting it that much?

Well, like Mielke says, GMR's cancellation wasn't really a cutting-losses thing. I suspect Gamestar's case is more complicated as well.

That said, I gather that ad buys in the enthusiast press are lower than expected all round this fall (print and web). I think what you have there is companies gambling more of their money by trying to reach a mainstream audience.

DFS.

wipeout364

I quite liked GMR. I thought it had a great tone to it. I also liked the cheap subscription price. Reviews were hit or miss but the mag read well. ONce Simon Cox left you knew trouble was brewing.
I have cut back on buying print magazines lately. EGM I used to buy on a regular basis, but its weak content, and poor decision to increase its price to add on a weakass CD pissed me off so I stopped buying it after three years. I am still recieving GMR for the next month. PLAY I have also stopped buying lately. XBN is great as far as writing and content I just wish it was multiformat.

Anyway I am saddened at the passing of GMR, it was one of the best magazines on the stands. It's strange that in this time of expanding game markets the number of print mags is not able to expand.

To all the guys here from GMR thanks for the great articles, reviews, humour, my life in ..., and retroactive. Most of all thanks for a mag that didn't wreak of EB bullshit.

BenT

I thought someone was joking a minute ago when they said XBN was canned too. Of course, it's true.

Today is Black Fucking Monday. Condolences to all affected.

Dave Long

Banned
Jeez... are ad buys that low? I don't get it? I talked to someone on the PC mag side about this recently and he indicated that ad buys are down because there's a lot more places to advertise now (web, TV, mainstream mags, etc.) but does it really pay these companies to pull their ads from enthusiast publications to the point that the enthusiast pubs die off?

I guess as long as the "Official" mag exists, no one cares too much. *sigh*

WarPig

XBN hooked me up with a free trip to hang with my friends in North Carolina and visit Epic Games in the process. It pretty much ruled.

They also let me say awful awful things about Bloodrayne. Raw.

DFS.

WarPig

Dave Long said:
Jeez... are ad buys that low? I don't get it? I talked to someone on the PC mag side about this recently and he indicated that ad buys are down because there's a lot more places to advertise now (web, TV, mainstream mags, etc.) but does it really pay these companies to pull their ads from enthusiast publications to the point that the enthusiast pubs die off?

It's something I wonder about too. Cuz when a publisher buys ads, they're not just buying those pages of out-and-out promotion, they're supporting an independent organ that promotes their games. That was the point we were always trying to get across to people when IGN was in dire straits -- you're not just buying banners, you're buying the continued existence of something that can be an asset to you.

With the Xbox looking to have a pretty empty year in 2005, though, I can see why XBN was looking forward to some hard times. The pool of advertisers to draw from there is pretty limited.

DFS.

SuperPac

Well, crap. Both GMR and XBN were great magazines and I looked forward to both appearing in my mailbox each month. Condolences to all who've been hit by the axe-swing. I'm gettin' drunk tonight for y'all.

WarPig said:
With the Xbox looking to have a pretty empty year in 2005, though, I can see why XBN was looking forward to some hard times. The pool of advertisers to draw from there is pretty limited.

So, why not jump onto the next-gen wagon as early as possible, then? I mean, if Xenon is hitting at the end of next year, why not just quickly transition the mag into a mixed-format mag as soon as possible? XB2N? :(

Or did Imagine/Future get some kind of ridiculously tight deal with MS for info/support in the next-gen? I was looking forward to the XBN crew getting the title of Official XBOX 2 Magazine, too.

On the bright side, EGM has just added ~150k non-overlapping subscribers for a period of, say, 3 months. So stop all your crying - congratulations are in order for EGM, which has just experienced a huge uptick!

Seriously, XBN and GMR were the only remaining reasons to purchase Ziff-Davis publications. My sincere condolences to all affected by today's very foolish decisions; know that they were not ZD's first, or last. You guys are way better than this, and though you will never do it, you should leave as a group and start a competing publication. It has been needed for a long time in this oligarchical and terrible media environment.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Good mags never survive. Except for Edge.

I don't know much about US magazines, but in the UK some great magazines have died over the years. DC-UK and the official Dreamcast magazine were both awesome (yep, an official mag was good, believe it), though I can't remember if DC-UK died before the DC or not. I think maybe it did.

Arcade though...that was a great mag. Anyone else remember it? Real quality I thought.

Anyway, sorry to hear about this guys, I never got the chance to read your magazines, but if they were as good as the ones I mentioned then I sympathize.

mattx5

Fucking shit...

Any more info yet? Is this simply a business decision to keep the amount and direction of the mags more focused, or is it because of ad revenue?

If the latter, I'm guessing this won't just be an isolated problem and pretty soon it's gonna start affecting other mags.

spookyfish

Wow. I'm so sorry, guys. Good luck in all your future ventures.
Milkman, don't you dare leave the gaming pubs ....

You guys post and let us know where you are in a while.

Izzy

Banned
BenT said:
I thought someone was joking a minute ago when they said XBN was canned too. Of course, it's true.

Today is Black Fucking Monday. Condolences to all affected.

No kidding - Fulham 1-1 Man Utd.

novery

This really hurts. XBN gave me my first legit writing gig and I'm very thankful for it. I was a super lucky guy in that I wrote for my favorite magazine.

-rp

Top Bottom