• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Go Vacation (Wii) Official Thread: It only does everything

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
sfried said:
Wait, you can move around without nunchuck?

Good lord...

Namco seems to have gone out of its way to provide multiple control methods. It's nice.

sfried

Talladega Knight said:
where are the reviews at?
So far no reviews.

Seriously, it'd be hard to convince people that this isn't just some other casual mini-game collection unless Giant Bomb or some other publication did a playthrough it.

So does this game literally include all of We Ski, or is it just a chunk of what you could do in that game to make room for all the rest of the areas?

Does it have all the different animal themed slopes and everything?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
UncleSporky said:
So does this game literally include all of We Ski, or is it just a chunk of what you could do in that game to make room for all the rest of the areas?

Does it have all the different animal themed slopes and everything?

I don't think it includes all of We Ski, but is totally includes some familiar routes and landmarks from the previous games.

I played some two player action and it is a ton better with others. Though the split-screen does drop the Framerate, it's pretty awesome to be able to be on the opposite end of the Island of your friends. More games should try and incorporate split-screen without bounding areas.

The mini-games do ramp up when played more then once, with some adding obstacles and others adding more in-depth control methods. Volleyball is fun now and Water-squirt battles is actually pretty badass. But the main (most fun) part of Go Vacation is exploring and goofing off with friends in the open-world resorts. Racing down the snow mountain on tubes is hilariously fun (in a good way) and was the highlight of the night for me.

I just unlocked the Villa Grounds, hopefully I will have time to explore that tomorrow.

How many different "vehicles" can be used in each area? For example, I saw someone get off a four wheeler and onto a horse. Can you use both of those in the snowy mountain too?

No online at all in the game? Any of you guys will put some balance board impressions?

For some weird reason i wish this game to put some decent numbers.

cacildo

Skiesofwonder said:
I played some two player action and it is a ton better with others. Though the split-screen does drop the Framerate, it's pretty awesome to be able to be on the opposite end of the Island of your friends.

Great! I was thinking about that possibility, nice to see they got it right

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The_Technomancer said:
This looks ridiculously amazing.

To stay realistic, I'm finding that the game could benefit from some more control options (ATV, inline skates and skateboarding around the areas for open world exploration are not as fun as they could be), but the more I get into it, the more I find.

Some games are deeper than others. A few are cute mini-games, others can be pretty exciting. Ironically, Volleyball, one of the first things you do that you initially play in super casual mode, turns really exciting once you can play with nunchuk and manually move your character around. Multiplayer with it is amazing.

sfried said:
Wait, you can move around without nunchuck?

Good lord...

I thought so at first but maybe not. Im getting used to the steering wheel controls though.
Anyway the game is pretty fun
Im exploring some more, got a dog, learned to play volleyball game and thats fun too.

This cannot be said enough, and should probably be put into the OP: Mini games need to be played more than once! I think Namco did a huge disservice to the game by presenting the first run of each mini game in such a boring and simplistic way. Volleyball practically plays itself, jet skiing race down a straight path, etc. Even the presentation sucks.

Then you visit it a 2nd time and it's totally different. You get a "splash" screen for the activity, allowing you to see all the various control options, select different modes (and each mini-game has a ton of them), and view the game's equivalent to achievement or medals, called silver keys. It's a completionist's wet dream!

For example, the jet ski alone is actually composed of nine courses, 3 for each mode (single lap, multi lap, and going through rings). It's a minor thing, perhaps, but the game is far more deeper than I thought

I'll write up a more detailed hands on later, but man, so far Go Vacation : Mini Game Collections :: Defense Grid : Tower Defense

I really like the Jet Ski physics I dont want to get crucified here but I think it plays about as good as waverace.
The water physics in general are really good which carries over to surfing too.

@MUWANdo

Banned
When you say "multiple control options", do any of them include the Classic Controller/Gamecube pad? Not a big deal, just curious to see how extensive they are.

@MUWANdo said:
When you say "multiple control options", do any of them include the Classic Controller/Gamecube pad? Not a big deal, just curious to see how extensive they are.
Nah. Not that I've seen. There seem to be 5 that can be supported, though not for every activity

Nunchuk + Wiimote, just Wiimote, WM+, balance board, and steering wheel

sfried

60_gig_PS3 said:
I really like the Jet Ski physics I dont want to get crucified here but I think it plays about as good as waverace.
The water physics in general are really good which carries over to surfing too.
The jetski physics are more forgiving, and I even like the controls, but the tricks, man... The ones that involve holding C + Down on the pad in conjunction with flail KILL ME.
JazzmanZ said:
Best Sleeper hit since Scribblenauts.
Gonna be buying this eventually next week.
Oh my God, this...

I did not expect to find myself playing hours on end for this. Exploring the island alone for treasures/new activities is just so...They just had to hit my soft spot for exploration in sandbox games, and they nailed it so good it hurts...

@MUWANdo

Banned
SirPenguin said:
Nah. Not that I've seen. There seem to be 5 that can be supported, though not for every activity

Nunchuk + Wiimote, just Wiimote, WM+, balance board, and steering wheel

Ah, cool, thanks for the info.

As far as multiplayer goes, does every game support four players, or are some limited to two?

gamingeek

SirPenguin said:
This cannot be said enough, and should probably be put into the OP: Mini games need to be played more than once! I think Namco did a huge disservice to the game by presenting the first run of each mini game in such a boring and simplistic way. Volleyball practically plays itself, jet skiing race down a straight path, etc. Even the presentation sucks.

Then you visit it a 2nd time and it's totally different.

Stuck it in the OP, thanks.

gamingeek

IGN PREVIEW: GO VACATION IS WORTH THE TRIP

"No, you won't be slapping any prostitutes in Go Vacation, but you will get the opportunity to run around a giant island boasting four vastly different resorts and an impressive open world mechanic. The worst part about Wii Sports Resort was that you had to observe this beautiful island paradise from afar, never actually getting the chance to explore it. Go Vacation changes everything, as romping around the island is a huge part of the experience, lending some much needed depth to the experience."

More at the link^

NEW LAUNCH TRAILER

BUTTLOAD OF NEW VIDEOS FROM NWR

Love this Paragliding video - the music :)

Famitsu review:

Go Vavaction (Wii, Bandai Namco): 8 / 8 / 8 / 7 - (31/40)

The main thing I was worried about was that the exploration would be limited to just walking around between linked minigames but you do have more freedom. There are jet skis lying around that you can hop on and just go freestyle for a while and explore by water.
There are rings and ramps to play around with and theres no time limit.

I actually like the sky diving just for the view you get of the island. You literaly feel like you can jump out of the plane sky dive all the way down to the ground and start running around. Its not quite that linked but I did get that feeling.

Only thing I wish is that the different jet skis and ATVs that you find would have different specs power-wise but so far they all seem about the same.

This will be the first game I buy when I get one of the new redesigned Wiis.

Looks awesome, and I think my girlfriend will enjoy it, which means she won't complain about me blowing money on a Wii!

Ok, I have questions for people who have the game:

1) If vehicle movement is done with the Wii remote only, does the nunchuck control the camera like in the videos?

2) How much is there to explore?

3) How many collectibles are there?

4) What's the lodge like? What all can you do with it?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
gamingeek said:
Get us some Villa grounds impressions guys. I want to know if this will satiate my Animal Crossing cravings.

I haven't played around with it long enough, but so far You can choose from different layouts for your house, and different styles of furniture/designs, but how many variations available is hard to tell because everything is locked. Like I mentioned earlier, you have to unlock keys through the mini-games to gain access to the furniture.

Right now there seems to be more options in Go Vacation, but Animal Crossing had more quirky items and different varieties of styles to make a more personable home.

zigg

My 9-year-old daughter loves this game. As for me, I thought it was fun playing with her (using two Remotes with Nunchuks, you can wander the resorts split-screen) for awhile... but then I ran out of things to do, and the islands seem too big and none of the people walking around seem particularly interesting.

I should go back and check those activities again though. It does seem pretty criminal that the stamp runs are all oversimplified versions. I'd already written off the racing I saw my daughter playing as boring; maybe there's more to it...

jogarrr

donny2112 said:
How's the mini-golf? # of holes, # of courses, Motion+ enabled, complex holes?
Two nine-hole courses (also playable as 3/6-hole layouts). No motion plus. Nothing special about any of the holes themselves. I didn't enjoy it very much, just got my silver key from it and got out of there.

For those of you who aren't all "Down with corporate Gamestop!" I stopped by a day late on my pre-order after Amazon was sold out of the $30 version and for some reason the game was on sale today for $30. Shrinkwrapped and all. Definitely look into it.

sfried

So I just got my villa after completing more stamps in the City Resort. Lo and behold, not only do I get a my nice new luxurious Southern European house, all of my female companions turned into meido.

That's right. Meido. As if this game isn't embarassing enough to make you dance like a girly j-pop artist, they make your companions turn into meido. And then I run outside to find a wedding church bell in the courtyard. With a companion dressed as a priest.

This game has officially out-Harvest-Moon'd Tides of Destiny.

I spotted this in the local Redbox outside the grocery store, so apparently they're going to carry the game. Good to get some exposure of it out there.

hatchx

Banned
This game looks and sounds amazing. It's secretly what I always wanted Wii Sports to evolve into.

I'm going to pick it up next week.

I know half the mini games will be broken, but still.

ciccione

My first impressions after playing one hour are extremely positive. This seems to be a very good game. The activities are all well done. My only complaints is that was too easy to win. But it's really funny to go everywhere and discover new sports or activities. Each one is very well done. There is a LOT of things to do. The graphics are ok. I visited the initial sea, then I unlocked the city. I tried to kill a lot of kids with the quad but no luck. The free roaming let you discover a lot of neat places around. The amount of activities they filled here is absolutely stunning, I only barely scratched the surface. This game deserves much more attention. If it had online it would have been the game of the forever.

zigg

ciccione said:
The free roaming let you discover a lot of neat places around. The amount of activities they filled here is absolutely stunning, I only barely scratched the surface.

I must really suck at exploring then, because in the two hours I played, I found large stretches of land that are painfully slow to traverse (even with vehicles, yes) and a bunch of NPCs standing around not doing much of anything.

Serious question. What do I need to do to tap into this interesting content outside the games? What am I missing?

gamingeek

Thanks for the impressions.

Still no reviews :(

I did manage to find the music from the launch trailer.

6gd846.jpg

It's 80s tune Vacation by, ironically, the Go Go's

The Awesomest said:
Ok, I have questions for people who have the game:

1) If vehicle movement is done with the Wii remote only, does the nunchuck control the camera like in the videos?

2) How much is there to explore?

3) How many collectibles are there?

4) What's the lodge like? What all can you do with it?

1) Vehicle movement uses both the nunchuk and the wiimote. It's weird at first, but eventually you get used to moving both at the same time. Wish they had just done analog control though.

2. A lot. Girlfriend and I spent about 35-40 minutes just exploring the first resort looking for treasure. We didn't cover all of the resort either.

Can't answer 3 or 4 cause I don't know.

Being able to customize your dog was a nice touch. It's hilarious having a corgi chase after your ATV.

I still want to know more about the tron lightsaber sword fighting. It's very mysterious. This is all I've seen of it, from the end of a commercial:

vXvFM.jpg

zigg said:
I must really suck at exploring then, because in the two hours I played, I found large stretches of land that are painfully slow to traverse (even with vehicles, yes) and a bunch of NPCs standing around not doing much of anything.

Serious question. What do I need to do to tap into this interesting content outside the games? What am I missing?

The only thing Ive found to do is look for prizes. and trying to launch my ATV onto areas that Im not sure your supposed to be able to get to.

I talked to one NPC who said that theres a hidden cave on the island.
Another guy wants me to go find some thing that he lost.

Its hard to say how much there is since i havent played enough to know most of my time has been spent inside the games. Ive barely scratched the surface but I really like surfing and volleyball.

donny2112

jogarrr said:
Two nine-hole courses (also playable as 3/6-hole layouts). No motion plus. Nothing special about any of the holes themselves. I didn't enjoy it very much, just got my silver key from it and got out of there.

Thanks. Liked the Mini-Golf in Mario Golf for N64, but there doesn't seem to be a good option past that (except for the Wii Fit mini-games to get the balls down the holes).

Top Bottom