• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Go Vacation (Wii) Official Thread: It only does everything

gamingeek

sfried said:
Here's a trick for the jetskis and ATV: Orient your Wii nunchuck and remote in a similar fashion to handle bars (like the jet skis in Wii Sports Resort) and twist them in opposite directions to turn. It will become second nature and it a much better setup than the default "turning" motions they suggest in the prompts. In fact, if you go through the Tutorial School section (which is at the Information Desk area), they'll tell you you can also treat your Wii remote and nunchuck like a seering wheel and it will work the same way. But the handlebars technique works practically all the time and works for smoother turns too.

The video review just above this post says that it works if you just keep the wii remote still and tilt the nunchuk for steering stuff.

Anyone want to check this out and see how it feels?

sfried

kunonabi said:
bungee jumping sucks. I cant pass it for the life of me.
Golf is janky as well but everything else seems fine.
Bungee jumping bounce is based on how quick you flick at the proper timing. The closer you are to the ground, the quicker your jerk reaction must be otherwise you'll stretch out too long.

Golf is indeed janky and I think forces you to recreate stroking a golf ball with your arm with the right pausing strength.

Okay, I finally have this game. It's pretty decent.

I don't mind waggling to move (much) but I don't like that we also have to steer with the remote, like with the skates. I didn't think it would bug me, because this sort of thing usually doesn't. My mind can't focus on so many things at once! Also the ATV seems to either turn too hard or not hard enough, and it seems like it has problems stopping when I tell it to stop. The Horse is probably my favorite means of transportation so far. It's perfect. Does it get better if I have M+? I won't have it until Skyward Sword comes out...

The minigames are decent. They seem spread a little thin, but it's okay because there are at least a few in each area I can enjoy. I can't seem to get the hang of the Dancing one though.

zigg

My daughter's still totally lost on how to access secret areas. The dog gets excited and she'll comb the area but doesn't find anything of note.

gamingeek

ONM reviewed the game: 80%

More pics

gv67.jpg

gv66.jpg

gv64.jpg

gv63.jpg

gv62.jpg

gv61.jpg

gv60.jpg

gv57.jpg

gv55.jpg

gv51.jpg

gv50.jpg

gv48.jpg

gv47.jpg

gv46.jpg

gv45.jpg

gv44.jpg

gv43.jpg

gv42.jpg

gv38.jpg

gv39.jpg

gv32.jpg

gv37.jpg

gv34.jpg

gv30.jpg

gv28.jpg

gv26.jpg

gv04.jpg

gv25.jpg

gv05.jpg

gv15.jpg

Is this guy wearing a flesh coloured swimsuit?

gv16.jpg

gv17.jpg

Cam someplease please explain the fruit?
gv18.jpg

gv19.jpg

gv23.jpg

After some more time with this game, it seems it's just the ATV, skates, skateboard, and skis that are giving me trouble. Every other mode of transportation is fine.

I've only discovered one secret area in the Winter resort, and it blew my mind. I've come close to discovering some others, and if they're anything like that one, this game was worth the money.

Most minigames are not too bad. If they seem easy, apparently you can make it harder by pressing either 1/2 or +/-, according to a blue balloon. I checked the records screen, and apparently there are locals you can talk to, outside of the ones with orange things above their heads. I don't know who they are, but apparently I've already talked to one of them. There also seems to be a way to get a 'best friend,' but I don't know if that's only for multiplayer or if the people you invite to your party can be your best friends too.

The free dive part of the diving minigame is really great. I've never played Endless Ocean but I assume it's kind of like that, only less.

Bought this game about a week ago and on my first play I decided this game was 6.5/10 material. The controls of the different gears are imprecise and cumbersome, and some of the mini-games are hit and miss (not to mention boring). Then, after a few more plays and unlocking the different resorts I decided this game was more of a 7.5/10. The variety of mini-games and the free play were amazing. It was a blast to just go out into the ocean to surf or go scuba diving. The inline skates around the city were mindless fun, and kayaking from the top of the mountain resort was incredibly relaxing. After unlocking the different times of day and the Villa this game shot up to an 8.5/10. If you’ve ever been interested in Animal Crossing or Sims for the house design segments you owe it to yourself to get this game. The view of the ocean is amazing and the amount of items for the villa is crazy. Each mini-game and open world tasks will award silver keys that you can use to unlock villa items (there are around 80 silver keys and each key opens around 5 items or a different house style. Before you unlock the box it will also tell you the ‘theme’ to the pack). Then, each item has around 10 different colors schemes that drastically change the look of the item. Then there are also gold keys (around 15, I think?) that are unlocked by completing a list of achievements for things such as taking a dog to all the resorts, etc. I haven’t got any of those yet, but it would seem that they unlock even larger packs than the silver keys (makes sense…).

Granted, this game has many flaws that will kill the joy for some. The controls for vehicles can be very frustrating and walking on foot is slow, there are plenty of loading screens (thankfully you can interact with the screen by placing dog stickers, but even that gets old), and some of the sounds and character voices are jarringly low-fi. The biggest flaw here, by far, is the waggle. Most minigames don’t feel precise and not being able to control free-roam vehicles without swinging around constantly is annoying to say the least. On the plus side, the visuals are amazing for a Wii mini-game collection. Even being the pc-master-race-overclock-to-get-60-fps-in-everything jerk that I am, I found myself amazed at moments by the beauty of the game (free surfing and the ski resort at night come to mind).

Overall, this game is a labor of love that is worth getting. I went into it thinking that the mini-games were the focus and that the multiplayer free-roam world was just a bonus. Instead, the mini-games are a patience endurance run that are there only to further fuel my house building addiction. The true star of the show here is the relaxing pace and the free-roam. I’ve only found three hidden treasures in the game so far (there are 7 in each area making for a total of 28) and I’ve yet to find any secret areas (how many of them are there?) and the incentive to play is still high. Hell, even the fact that I made a write-up for the game is more effort that I would normally put forth. I think that everyone that goes into this game with an open mind and gives it a few hours to prove what it has to offer with be pleasantly surprised. Now, back to treasure hunting and getting more keys….

hatchx

Banned
I picked this game up for 20 bucks Canadian last week, thought I'd chime in with my thoughts.

I am not one to buy shovel ware. I would normally overlook this title had it not been for this thread. It is not a perfect game with perfect controls, but it has so much to do and for such a cheap price it is really hard to complain.

20 bucks guys, 20 bucks.

I am still exploring, finding new things to do, and having a blast. This game really puts every mini-game compilation to shame, including the Mario Party's. Cruising around on a jet ski, horse, roller blades, or ATV is a shit load of fun. There are a lot of crappy mini games. For example, I stopped at the ski resort to do the ice fishing mini game. It is crappy, and mindless, and once you figure it out it's incredibly easy....but I did it once and will never do it again. I like that. I like that I can stop, participate in a crappy little mini game, figure it out for what it's worth, and never participate again. Freedom baby!

20 bucks guys, 20 bucks.

Exploring is a ton of fun. It is cool because your mii's on your system will appear on the island and just follow you around. I have a dog too. I know I can furnish my house but I have yet to explore that option. I also have not even touched the multiplayer.

This game, in a lot of ways, put wii sports resort to shame. It gives you freedom! Something sports games have never done. This game, in a lot of ways, set a new bar for mini-sports-compilations-games.

20 bucks guys!

I can't recommend it enough. Great for casual friends, great for mindless exploration, and a fantastic value. Considering the price, I'd give this game a 9/10. So much to do and very relaxing.

For me, it was the entire Winter Resort that pushed this game from 'Decent' to 'Pretty Damn Good.' If you haven't found it yet, go to the very top and slide down the left slope (on the right side of the minimap) and keep to the left to find an amazing secret area. That's what did it for me. That and the breathtaking views of vast expanses of snow on the way up.

Oh, and when I got it, Gamestop had it on sale for $30. Totally worth it. It might still be on sale.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but the Destructoid and IGN reviews mentioning volleyball might be right. You can move around when re-playing those segments but if you don't, it'll just move your guy in range of the ball from what I can tell.

Was hopeful about this with all the activities, but none of them were really interesting enough to hold my interest. Still glad I rented it after the positive response here; needed a vacation from all the shooters.

How many of them did you try?

Also, yeah about the volleyball. When the ball goes to your side you can hit it once to your teammate and then the CPU automatically puts you in position to hit it back over. Although, you can place the ball (which I never knew until reading the instructions) and change the difficulty level (which I never knew until finding a blue balloon).

I tried maybe fifteen of 'em. Just wanted to see what the buzz was about. I didn't get far enough to really make any claim about the overall quality. Might have to come back to this later, I really like the idea of it and want to see what the villa stuff's all about.

Part of it's just having way too many promising games to play lately and not enough time. What a decent problem to have.

zigg

jamesinclair said:
Im watching a video review and it says you can play as your Mii.

I thought only Nintendo games were allowed Mii access?
Only in the very beginning, and even then apparently only because of immature APIs. Miis have been in third-party titles for several years now.

Oh wow, just found the secret area in the snow mountains that Awesomest posted about and it is really awesome. Does each resort have an 'off the map" area like this?

Goldmund

If it weren't for the NeoGAF threads, I wouldn't even know this was coming out. Thanks for the heads up, OP. I'll pick it up November 4.

lennylightspeed said:
Oh wow, just found the secret area in the snow mountains that Awesomest posted about and it is really awesome. Does each resort have an 'off the map" area like this?

Apparently they have multiple ones! Another one in the Snow resort is that Fox-whatever area on the left side of the resort minimap, but I haven't found that one yet.

I'm really having trouble controlling the hanglider and minigolf. Does Motionplus make it any better?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Amazon shipped my copy today....finally, cant wait to try it out this weekend.

Anyone else pickin up the PAL version ?

fernoca

Damn! This game is way better than I thought. Is one of those games were you pop it and think you'll only play for a few minutes or a quick ATV game and then you spend over an hour just walking around and doing everything but that. :p

Question, is there any specific way I can make my Mii follow me...again?
I decided to create an avatar, instead of use my Mii. Then at the beach I found my own Mii interested in joining me, so ..thought it was cool and accepted. But on the menu, chose the option to remove buddies to see if it took me to a screen to "manage them" and it just removed my Mii and my dog. The dog's saved so I just chose it back, but the Mii ..well, can't find it on the beach ..again.. :(

fernoca said:
Question, is there any specific way I can make my Mii follow me...again?
I decided to create an avatar, instead of use my Mii. Then at the beach I found my own Mii interested in joining me, so ..thought it was cool and accepted. But on the menu, chose the option to remove buddies to see if it took me to a screen to "manage them" and it just removed my Mii and my dog. The dog's saved so I just chose it back, but the Mii ..well, can't find it on the beach ..again.. :(

Yeah, this was one thing I didn't like, how when you go to the main menu your party disappears. I have this theory for Miis though, although I haven't gotten a chance to test it out:

When I was wandering, I kept looking for avatars to follow me around, not Miis. But one Mii of myself kept popping up EVERYWHERE. Like, every time there was an opportunity to find a party member, there he was. And I never wanted to play with him. Sooo I go to the Mii channel and I realized that this guy is wearing red pants! He's the only one wearing red pants! So I took his pants off and put them on two other Miis instead. I have yet to see if that changed anything, but I have a feeling it will.

tl;dr go to the Mii channel and mess around with the Favorite option. I think the Managing-party-members option is only if you have actual human friends playing with you.

Yuterald

I think this game looks like a nice, guilty please sort of a experience. Normally, I wouldn't play mini game compilations, but this one looks and sounds neat. Go Vocation looks like one of those rare gems that NO ONE will remember but a few odd ball, niche Wii fans that hold it in high regard. I'd like to be one of those members, lol! Strapped for cash at the moment, but I'll pick this up a some point.

tuffy

Once I noticed who the developer was, I figured this would be "Wii Ski & Snowboard & Everything Else In The World" and that's exactly what it is. It offers huge sandbox areas to wander around in, each filled with tons of optional minigame events and NPCs to talk to. Contrasted with Wii Sports Resort where you can't do anything else but play minigames, in this you can do everything but the minigames if you're so inclined. It's very open-ended and offers so much stuff that even unlocking items in single player will keep one busy for awhile.

zigg

tuffy said:
Contrasted with Wii Sports Resort where you can't do anything else but play minigames, in this you can do everything but the minigames if you're so inclined. It's very open-ended and offers so much stuff that even unlocking items in single player will keep one busy for awhile.

Having tried both, I definitely prefer the WSR M.O. I found the intermediary stuff's appeal wore off quickly, and then a not-insignificant number of the games themselves were either way too simple or didn't work very well. I guess this lets me cross We Ski off my list of games to look at. :)

But my daughter loved it all for awhile. So, diff'rent strokes.

Platy

Played this game these days .... loved the mountain and snow resort .... and HATED the city resort ...those ways to move around the city are PAINFULL =|

I'm hoping there are some motor stuff to be unlockable... even went to gamefaqs to know this but will probably wake a LONG while to someone make a faq or just post the "secrets" about his game since it is so huge =P

Some really cool minigames, but the most fun i had was searching for treasures and stuff

so the consensus on this game is that it has a few issues but if I can find it for $20 bucks its worth it? the wife and I need something to play together.

Had time to play this for a few hours over the weekend since my mom owns it. Loved what I did play so far. Will rent it from her asap

dock

Just bought this today, I'm playing it now. Really liking the open world. :)

Is there any way to ditch the NPC companions? they're annoying, but I can't seem to shake them.
edit: aha - it auto ditches them when you exit and return to the main menu.

Platy

Sorry the bump ... but ...my sister was playing this game ... and suddenly she discovered an ovni in the villa !

it looks like that to find it
you have to drop a futuristic ball in the waterfall hidden in the woods
... but anyone knows if it does anything other than ....flashes and walk by the villa ?

This game keeps surprising me with how much content it has !

Yagharek

Great article, worth it for the bump.

Similarly, dozens of wii games could have write-ups made about them like this. So many overlooked gems.

I remember BN saying they wanted to do a sequel on Wii U and the game did really well IIRC on Wii in Japan. Not to mention they are actually willing to make Wii U exclusives (Taiko) so I don't know what they're waiting for!

@MUWANdo

Banned
I think I first learned about this game via an Iwata Asks interview that Iwata did for no reason--they weren't even publishing the game (although they did go on to publish in Europe), Iwata just saw some promo video and was all "what the hell? get Namco on the phone".

Very few of the individual sports can match up to the likes of Wii Sports but it really does have an absurd amount of content for what it is.

Top Bottom