• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War coming to PC on January 14

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Im selling my ps5. Im 100% investing in pc now.

Consoles are not worth it.

There is absolutely no reason for me to have ps5.

Even though i think the pc experience has been very disappointing and underwhelming and overated by the pc crowd.. I think the traditional console experience is vastly superior to pc.

But current consoles are not.

Consoles offers nothing anymore:

No exclusives.
All games including firstparty software are developed like crappy multiplatform games, no tight bespoke games.
No legacy support.
Physical releases with half functioning games on disc.
Non trustworthy digital distribution. where you don't know if your games exist tomorrow, and your whole collection could be banned on a whim.
Expensive as fuck digital games.

Pc has a better offer:

All games from all platforms, in their best suit.
Trustworthy digital distribution and legacy support such as steam.
Cheap digital games.
I will keep my PS5 for now but I see zero reason to upgrade to whatever mid gen refresh they come out with in two years. I think the $60 PS+ sub is ridiculous and wont miss it at all on PC.

Recently upgraded all my PC parts, and am just waiting to get a 3080. I bought the Xbox One on Day 1 despite hating the Kinect and Always online focus (it helped that they did a 180 on it before launch) and Xbox One X just a few months after launch, but I didnt see a single reason to buy an XSX. MS pretty much offered me none. My 2080 is just as powerful as an XSX if not more in ray traced games. I see that Sony is on their way to do the same. And thats ok. It's their business. I am just being given less and less reason to buy their product and invest in their eco system.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I will keep my PS5 for now but I see zero reason to upgrade to whatever mid gen refresh they come out with in two years. I think the $60 PS+ sub is ridiculous and wont miss it at all on PC.

Recently upgraded all my PC parts, and am just waiting to get a 3080. I bought the Xbox One on Day 1 despite hating the Kinect and Always online focus (it helped that they did a 180 on it before launch) and Xbox One X just a few months after launch, but I didnt see a single reason to buy an XSX. MS pretty much offered me none. My 2080 is just as powerful as an XSX if not more in ray traced games. I see that Sony is on their way to do the same. And thats ok. It's their business. I am just being given less and less reason to buy their product and invest in their eco system.
Who pays full price for PS+?

That shit is always on sale every few months for $30-$40 range.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why do people keep saying this shit. It's obvious back then PC wasn't a priority, I can't see it being 4 years for ports after they port their backlogs and all there engines are already running on PC. Just look at Days Gone that didn't take 4 years because that's on Unreal Engine. We now have Decima, God of War Engine, Naughty Dog Engine ported to PC. So don't expect the newer games to take as long to get ported, the Nvidia leak has already shown Horizon 2 listed.

I expect God of War Ragnarok port to happen 2 years after PS5 release just like Days Gone. 2 years is going to be the standard after the backlog gets ported you can quote me 2 years after Ragnarok release on PS5.
umm read my quote in your post again. :messenger_horns:

Pejo

Fucking cool news. And to Jim Ryan's credit, I will be double dipping on all of these games on PC, so his plan is at least kinda working.

Demon's Souls and Bloodborne next, let's go.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sony....
giphy.gif

You have BETRAYED you long loving fans!!!

SZips

Super looking forward to this.

I absolutely loved this game when it came out. It's one of the very few PS4 games I ever liked enough to fully 100%. Might have to do that again on the PC.

Filben

Okay, now I need an ultra wide screen. Any recommendations? UWQHD/3440x1440, +100Hz, 34'', good colours and no smearing/ghosting for less than thousand EUR?

Excellent news for the PC players who were interested in trying one of the very best games of last generation. Is SSM handling the PC version themselves? If so, Sony should acquire a US based porting team ala Nixxes to take care of their North American output.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Not sure this is going to have the intended effect Sony is hoping for. The thinking is "get PC players hooked on our IP so they go buy a Playstation so they can play the games earlier" right? Or am I missing it? This is indicating a change in behavior on the part of the player, that I think is just too hard to overcome. PC gamers like and prefer PCs over consoles. If they buy and play these games I think the far more likely outcome is "Hey that was cool. I'll get the next one when it comes out. In the meantime I'll go play one of the other bajillion games I have available." I don't think the Sony games are just so dang good that PC gamers are going to now want a console, if they didn't already have one.

Does that make sense?

Anytime you see a company come out with something that isn't an order of magnitude better than a competing product, but having it succeed requires consumers to change their behavior en masse, that thing is destined to not succeed. I don't think this move will hurt PlayStation necessarily, but my guess is the final outcome is some decent sales for the PC releases and no detectable moving of the needle for their console business.
You don't think they are good, yet 20 million people bought it. People want the new and shiny thing as soon as possible. Besides those few loudmouth PC zealots sitting in their basement, counting the days (for 4 years) when a console game gets ported.

They are testing the waters.

Pejo

I dunno if it's a testament to the Deck's screen, or some clever video editing, but these "over the shoulder" view videos of the deck always look so bright and clear that they look fake. Like a video overlay on top of a blank screen or something.

Dr Bass

You don't think they are good, yet 20 million people bought it. People want the new and shiny thing as soon as possible. Besides those few loudmouth PC zealots sitting in their basement, counting the days (for 4 years) when a console game gets ported.

They are testing the waters.
WTF does this even mean? I didn't say the games aren't good. I said I don't think the games are so good they are going to change PC gamer habits. I don't think ANY games are that good. People tend to like their chosen platforms, and will stay loyal to that over games. You see it constantly on this board. I bought GoW on PS btw. So I was one of those 20 million. You latched onto a simple statement and completely misunderstood it.

So yeah, I do think PC gamers will wait years to play a game if it means they get the best version and potentially one where prices will be cheaper. PC gamers like their big RGB boxes and high end video cards. They aren't going to give up their hobby to play a game earlier, when they are hardly bereft of choice otherwise. Again, Sony is expecting people's personal likes and preferences to change just to get their hands on PS exclusives earlier? Not gonna happen.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Bloodborne when?
In due time, it's never been more clear, and I'm so happy, lmao.

I mean, Uncharted, Horizons, and God Of War are all on/coming to PC. Hell, we've even seen Days Gone. There's absolutely no way Bloodborne would be omitted.

This is really cool for people that always wanted to check these titles out and never got a chance to. I'll be buying them all to support, even if double dipping.

WTF does this even mean?

And yeah, I do think PC gamers will wait years to play a game if it means they get the best version and potentially one where prices will be cheaper. PC gamers like their big RGB boxes and high end video cards. They aren't going to give up their hobby to play a game earlier, when they are hardly bereft of choice otherwise. Again, Sony is expecting people's personal likes and preferences to change just to get their hands on PS exclusives earlier? Not gonna happen.
No, Sony is not expecting a massive exodus from PC to consoles; They are looking to service another market and make more money off of its franchises. It would be idiotic not to.

Graciaus

So yeah, I do think PC gamers will wait years to play a game if it means they get the best version and potentially one where prices will be cheaper. PC gamers like their big RGB boxes and high end video cards. They aren't going to give up their hobby to play a game earlier, when they are hardly bereft of choice otherwise. Again, Sony is expecting people's personal likes and preferences to change just to get their hands on PS exclusives earlier? Not gonna happen.
Of course they will unless they already also owned the console. Anyone who thinks a PC gamer is going to give it up to buy a PS5 over this is smoking some good shit.

Swift_Star

Banned
Don’t take this the wrong way but why does it have to be a long time to release on PC? It wouldn’t take away from your enjoyment if it launched the same day on both PS and PC (not that I’m saying that will or should happen).
The game sold almost 20 MM alone on PS4. They have no incentive to do day and date PC releases.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Do you honestly think that many people who didn't spend ~250 bucks on a PS4 for almost 4 years will now suddenly spend 500 bucks? I think most will just wait and play it again in better quality on Pc since there is nothing to miss on singleplayer games.
Many people don't like to wait.. especially after experiencing something like God of War.

DLSS, fuck yeah! Sony had been watching MS cash in on PC/Steam and thinking they want a piece of the pie, too. This is another game that was on PSNow along with Uncharted 4 that's also coming soon to PC, and HZD that's already there. Going by PSNow, I'd guess next up would be Spider-Man. Maybe Bloodborne or Demon Souls. Then perhaps TLOU collection.

But yeah, DLSS support is fucking awesome.
It's gonna be GoW/uncharted first, them spiderman. I'd love to see spidey with full raytracing. It would be a night and day difference.
I've been saying this from last year. I might know a thing or two ;)

WitchHunter

Banned
WTF does this even mean? I didn't say the games aren't good. I said I don't think the games are so good they are going to change PC gamer habits. I don't think ANY games are that good. People tend to like their chosen platforms, and will stay loyal to that over games. You see it constantly on this board. I bought GoW on PS btw. So I was one of those 20 million. You latched onto a simple statement and completely misunderstood it.

"They are testing the waters."

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
TIL that sharing and opening up your products to more consumers is... greedy.

Must be only when they do it.

Nope, your missing the point, I think they will end up cannibalizing thier own console success. Thinking about reduced console sales makes the race look closer and could potentially cost them them console market lead. That said, it may be a wash, less console sales and royalties may be made up by pc software sales. But it's a real risk, and many people including those on this board won't recognize that trade off and just declare they are losing thier console lead.

Nope, your missing the point, I think they will end up cannibalizing thier own console success. Thinking about reduced console sales makes the race look closer and could potentially cost them them console market lead. That said, it may be a wash, less console sales and royalties may be made up by pc software sales. But it's a real risk, and many people including those on this board won't recognize that trade off and just declare they are losing thier console lead.
Didn't Apple makes more money from services than selling hardware, for many years now? Sony is likely doing the same. Hardware doesn't make much money, compared to software and services. Look at Microsoft as example. Just about everyone one in the tech world has switched over. Sony is late to the party, but better late than never, right?

Plus no one should be upset or salty over this. You already played the game, so let's us play it as well. If you still feel jealous, just buy a PC for the best versions of their games. If you don't wanna wait at all, get a ps5.

Everyone wins.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Then that GeForce Now list gains more credibility at the very least the Sony ports while the rest could be trademarks. If the next ports are faster than Horizon and GoW then I'm willing to just wait it out.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Season 9 Idk GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Swift_Star

Banned
Console and PC public barely overlap and Sony won't do day and date releases. The vast majority of sales are done in the first few months of game release so... Your logic is flawed. Sony strategy is clearly to port their games on PC after they stop selling on console.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Console and PC public barely overlap and Sony won't do day and date releases. The vast majority of sales are done in the first few months of game release so... Your logic is flawed.
The dozens and I mean dozens of us who will wait 3 to 4 years, then on top of that wait for deep deep Steam sales before I buy a PS game series I'm a fan of and usually get on day 1, are gonna show you when we jump ship!
Arrested Development Tobias GIF

Last edited:

Dr Bass

No, Sony is not expecting a massive exodus from PC to consoles; They are looking to service another market and make more money off of its franchises. It would be idiotic not to.
Is Nintendo "idiotic" not putting their games on PC then? Is Apple "idiotic" not putting Logic and Final Cut Pro on PC? Saying "no" to some things is hardly idiotic, even if it means leaving some cash on the table at times.

I've been saying this from last year. I might know a thing or two ;)
Do tell sir. :messenger_beaming:

Is Nintendo "idiotic" not putting their games on PC then? Is Apple "idiotic" not putting Logic and Final Cut Pro on PC? Saying "no" to some things is hardly idiotic, even if it means leaving some cash on the table at times.

Do tell sir. :messenger_beaming:
Spidey is next. TLOU2 MP might beat it out the gate first though.

Dr Bass

Spidey is next. TLOU2 MP might beat it out the gate first though.
Interesting. You are a PC guy right? Do these games interest you? And if you liked them, let's say theoretically, a LOT ... do you think you would be motivated to buy a PS5?

Jim Ryan wants to know.

S0ULZB0URNE

Releasing older,last gen games that have been free....
Is smart and won't affect the current consoles success.

Top Bottom