• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War coming to PC on January 14

cromofo

dear lord if i read one more "they're doing this so they buy the sequel and ps5" on twitter i'm gonna blow

talk about not knowing wtf you're talking about while pretending you do

cromofo

Iw0eXxV.jpg
Horizon Forbidden West is not Horizon Zero Dawn

Interesting. You are a PC guy right? Do these games interest you? And if you liked them, let's say theoretically, a LOT ... do you think you would be motivated to buy a PS5?

Jim Ryan wants to know.
That's a fallacy, because this is "his" account. I am none other than Jim Ryan, in the flesh.

But yeah I do like some of the games, but not to justify a ps5, as there would be the hardware and online services on top. I don't mind consoles at all, and don't want to come off that way, I just prefer PC.

I own a pretty big discord server, and we all play together, mostly PC, but have a couple of console guys in there.

Hopefully the Sony x Discord situation allows native discord use for voice chat and what not. I'd honestly love to be able to play upcoming games with some GAF members.

Lognor

Banned
Oh shit! Guess I will finally get to check this out and see if it lives up to the hype.

Glad to see more and more PS games come to PC! I'll be missing out on fewer and fewer games going forward! Love it! XSX (with Game Pass), semi-capable gaming PC, and Switch is perfect combo!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think not making PS5 SKUs of games like Horizon, Days Gone and GoW and spending so much time and effort making 4k 120 fps DLSS widescreen versions of PC games does kind of tarnish the PS5 experience where gamers have had to settle for 4kcb 60 fps. No 120 fps modes for any of Sony's first party games. Even ones that got a paid PS5 patch like Death Stranding and Ghost Of Tsushima.

The other day i was criticizing Crytek for not releasing PS5 and XSX SKUs of Crysis 2 and 3. Leaving at least 25% performance on the table. But Sony being first party needs to do better. Games like GoW, TLOU, GoT and Horizon would play amazing at 120 fps. As Sony's Premium $500 machine, they ought to support it like they are supporting PC releases.
Exactly. I love all versions but there should be ps5 native versions which use super fast loading, 4k and dualsense

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The Big Lebowski Whatever GIF

I know some people really care about this but I honestly do not.

this is the future and believe it or not, PS5 and Xbox are just mid range PC’s now.

I imagine in the future that we will just have some sort of 2-3 year exclusivity on console and then they’ll release on PC. I’m cool with that, I sit at a desk for 8-10 hours a day working, I do not want to sit and play games at a desk in the evening so console gaming is just more relaxing and enjoyable for me. Sure I miss my RTS games of past but for now I just can’t be annoyed about this. If Sony still pumping out AAA bangers like they have been, they will be just fine.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The next god of war is on ps4 too is it not>?

Push PS4 console sales?
This is getting further and further from god.
If hes talking about the PS4 thats even worse.
If the PCMR havent been convinced yet to pick up a PS4 how is paying for a 2 year old game thats like 12 bucks on a 200 dollar console going to convince them to spend 60?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Horizon Forbidden West is not Horizon Zero Dawn
Fixed.
dear lord if i read one more "they're doing this so they buy the sequel and ps5" on twitter i'm gonna blow

Thats the theory Jim promoted. PC gamers get a taste of a Sony franchise now so they're amped up and will buy a PS5 and GOW 2 or Horizon 2 for launch.

yurinka

This list is mostly fake. Sony are porting to PC (and mentioned they plan to continue doing) old games released several years before on PS4. They also mentioned that don't plan to release all their games on PC and that don't plan to release them day one (but I assume they may make an exception with some F2P or MP focused GaaS title, which would be a tiny portion of their exclusives line-up).

And excluding Days Gone, all the games they ported or annouced to port to PC have an upcoming movie, tv show or PS5 only sequel releasing some months after that PC port, so that PC port also works to promote them. So pretty likely the next one they will announce will be TLOU, maybe bundled with TLOU2, to be released somewhere late 2022 or in 2023, some months before they release the TLOU tv show. And Spider-Man around that date too, months before its sequel.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

Actually... It makes a lot of sense to do it and they have very little to lose. It's easy to make you have a taste and get hyped for the sequel. Can't see why this is a hard concept for some to grasp.

GametimeUK

Honestly I'm super stoked to have another Sony game on Steam, but owning a PS5 I can't really justify the purchase of these games that have PS5 updates. The gap in quality isn't big enough to consider rebuying or paying extra for. Days Gone, Horizon and God of War all have great PS5 updates. I'd only expect a slightly better experience on God of War with my 2080 than I'd get on PS5 (and in Horizons case a worse experience).

Amazing news for PC players who have skipped these games though. I'll pick then up at some point during a sale to add to my library no doubt.

tmlDan

What are YOU talking about, that's how you expand your exclusive userbase - give them a taste, make them want a PS5 for the sequel cause they can't wait 2-3 years to play it on PC.

Please give another POV if you're so smart.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Push PS4 console sales?
This is getting further and further from god.
If hes talking about the PS4 thats even worse.
If the PCMR havent been convinced yet to pick up a PS4 how is paying for a 2 year old game thats like 12 bucks on a 200 dollar console going to convince them to spend 60?
Well, that's your opinion.

The fact of the matter is, it's a positive no matter how negatively you're trying to paint it.

tommib

Good news in terms of more sony games on pc. I thought this game was awful and ruined the god of war franchise since it didn't feel nothing like a real gow game and instead a dumbed down walking simulator and dark souls ripoff with weak combat. Hope sony can put their other better games on pc.
No lies detected. And before I get all the hate, I'm just agreeing that GOW 2018 deviated the series completely into the narrative-heavy third-person cinematic experience that's so popular these days. And yes, the combat is a Souls-ripoff with terrible camera management.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Exactly. I love all versions but there should be ps5 native versions which use super fast loading, 4k and dualsense
Playing DS right now. At first, I wasnt a fan of paying $10 for next gen versions, but the game looks so stunning and the loading and dual sense integration is so well done, I really dont mind. I mean fast travel in that game was always a chore but now its like a second. Sometimes even less. You'd think id get used to it after a year but this 1 or sub second loading still puts a smile on my face.

Would gladly pay $10 to get next gen SKUs of these Sony games.

FB88uSKXoAMjBRH

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This list is mostly fake. Sony are porting to PC (and mentioned they plan to continue doing) old games released several years before on PS4. They also mentioned that don't plan to release all their games on PC and that don't plan to release them day one (but I assume they may make an exception with some F2P or MP focused GaaS title, which would be a tiny portion of their exclusives line-up).

And excluding Days Gone, all the games they ported or annouced to port to PC have an upcoming movie, tv show or PS5 only sequel releasing some months after that PC port, so that PC port also works to promote them. So pretty likely the next one they will announce will be TLOU, maybe bundled with TLOU2, to be released somewhere late 2022 or in 2023, some months before they release the TLOU tv show. And Spider-Man around that date too, months before its sequel.

2-3 games does not really represent a well defined pattern.

They could release any game on PC, at any time.. I doubt the pattern will be something so well defined as "it has to have a tie-in releasing elsewhere."

The GeForce Now list might not be accurate, but I wouldn't start guessing what will release based on only a few examples.

Honestly a game like Returnal for instance would be a bit of a no brainer.. did decent on PS5 but is a niche genre popular on PC... GT7 would also potentially make sense as it'll likely be MTX heavy and heavily multiplayer based. Also a genre that has a pretty decent following on PC.

Other games might be being considered simply because the tech is easy to port.

In the end, Sony might even be working on ports that they'll cancel for marketing reasons... any PC build they have on Steam could be tested on Steam, and a dev using GeForce Now might cause that to end up in nVidia's database. From a Steam perspective that's all free... it's a pretty valid platform for remote development work / testing really.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
Not sure this is going to have the intended effect Sony is hoping for. The thinking is "get PC players hooked on our IP so they go buy a Playstation so they can play the games earlier" right? Or am I missing it? This is indicating a change in behavior on the part of the player, that I think is just too hard to overcome. PC gamers like and prefer PCs over consoles. If they buy and play these games I think the far more likely outcome is "Hey that was cool. I'll get the next one when it comes out. In the meantime I'll go play one of the other bajillion games I have available." I don't think the Sony games are just so dang good that PC gamers are going to now want a console, if they didn't already have one.

Does that make sense?

Anytime you see a company come out with something that isn't an order of magnitude better than a competing product, but having it succeed requires consumers to change their behavior en masse, that thing is destined to not succeed. I don't think this move will hurt PlayStation necessarily, but my guess is the final outcome is some decent sales for the PC releases and no detectable moving of the needle for their console business.
I think you are missing the part where Sony doesn't care if a die hard PC gamer never buys a PlayStation console, they were never going to buy one anyway. And heck, if some do, that's just extra.

Sony cares about selling PlayStation games to those hardcore PC gamers though, and that makes business sense.

Null Persp

Praise the Jimbo. It seems to be a good port too. I bet they are going to port the sequel to PC after 1- 1.5 year, same thing for Forbidden West.

cromofo

What are YOU talking about, that's how you expand your exclusive userbase - give them a taste make, them want a PS5 for the sequel cause they can't wait 2-3 years to play it on PC.

Please give another POV if you're so smart.
If you play exclusively on PC you'll know how little that line of thinking makes sense. PC gamers play on the PC for a reason.

"Yeah I'll spend $500 on a console and another $70 just to play a worse version of this game". Give me a break.

The primary goal is to sell copies once sales on PS are exhausted. That's it. Selling more PS5s is just a welcome bonus.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Playing DS right now. At first, I wasnt a fan of paying $10 for next gen versions, but the game looks so stunning and the loading and dual sense integration is so well done, I really dont mind. I mean fast travel in that game was always a chore but now its like a second. Sometimes even less. You'd think id get used to it after a year but this 1 or sub second loading still puts a smile on my face.

Would gladly pay $10 to get next gen SKUs of these Sony games.

FB88uSKXoAMjBRH
Exactly ! I miss DLSS from pc version (and 120hz for that matter) but ps5 native version of DS is fully competent and have its own benefits like loading, controls and sound. (aside from DC content).
It will be super weird if we still have 1440p 30fps uncharted 4 and I will be able to play it on pc 4k 120

Graciaus

Actually... It makes a lot of sense to do it and they have very little to lose. It's easy to make you have a taste and get hyped for the sequel. Can't see why this is a hard concept for some to grasp.
Almost as difficult a concept to grasp that pc gamers won't be running out to buy a console for a sequel.

cromofo

Some will, some won't. Unless you have some hard data to back that up, you can't 100% say this won't bait some to buy a console for the sequel.
It makes me even more reluctant to buy a PS5 knowing that most likely I'll get those PS5 games 2-3 years down the road. With Xbox fully embracing PC gaming and PS dipping in their toes too (with superior versions), it just makes PC gaming better.

Graciaus

Some will, some won't. Unless you have some hard data to back that up, you can't 100% say this won't bait some to buy a console for the sequel.
Some already owned the console and will buy the game. Most won't. This is common sense.

These are the same people who have games actually released on pc and boycott them for a year because they aren't released on Steam.

The opposite is more likely and some will abandon consoles. Or they would if prices weren't insane right now.

Swift_Star

Banned
It makes me even more reluctant to buy a PS5 knowing that most likely I'll get those PS5 games 2-3 years down the road. With Xbox fully embracing PC gaming and PS dipping in their toes too (with superior versions), it just makes PC gaming better.
Like I said:
What I said is still true regardless of what you'll do.

Boneless

No lies detected. And before I get all the hate, I'm just agreeing that GOW 2018 deviated the series completely into the narrative-heavy third-person cinematic experience that's so popular these days. And yes, the combat is a Souls-ripoff with terrible camera management.

Correct, it deviated by lifting the quality from a B game to an AAA game.

Fbh

I know you're talking about the gpu shortage, but you don't need the most expensive PC to play games. Here's a 1050 ti, a cheap gpu from 2016 running Days Gone at max settings 1080p just to give you an example.

My laptop actually has a 1050ti, no the best thing ever but it's still great to play indies and less demanding games (even newer stuff tends to run ok at 30fps).
These days though, if I'm going to spend a lot of money building a PC I want it to be somewhat future proof, and cards like the 1050ti aren't really it, specially if you are aiming for 60fps and 1440p.

The MSRP for the 3000 series had finally reached that sweet spot of price to performance for me, shame it quickly went to hell.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just curious since people are bringing up Days Gone... Off topic.... if you activate a hoard and you keep outrunning them and make it to a part with human bandits, do the hoard and bandits fight each other too?

sncvsrtoip

I will keep my PS5 for now but I see zero reason to upgrade to whatever mid gen refresh they come out with in two years. I think the $60 PS+ sub is ridiculous and wont miss it at all on PC.

Recently upgraded all my PC parts, and am just waiting to get a 3080. I bought the Xbox One on Day 1 despite hating the Kinect and Always online focus (it helped that they did a 180 on it before launch) and Xbox One X just a few months after launch, but I didnt see a single reason to buy an XSX. MS pretty much offered me none. My 2080 is just as powerful as an XSX if not more in ray traced games. I see that Sony is on their way to do the same. And thats ok. It's their business. I am just being given less and less reason to buy their product and invest in their eco system.
yeah lets wait for last 3 years ps5 ex and I want to see you playing it on base ps5 ;d what next ps titles you predicting on pc ? :d

yurinka

2-3 games does not really represent a well defined pattern.
They could release any game on PC, at any time.. I doubt the pattern will be something so well defined as "it has to have a tie-in releasing elsewhere."

All the ones they published or announced until now:
-Horizon 1 port: Horizon 2 PS5 sequel coming soonish
-Days Gone: the exception, maybe to make time before they got their next project greenlighted and because didn't reach sales expectations if it was the case
-GoW: GoWR PS5 sequel coming soonish
-Uncharted 4 GOTY edition: Uncharted movie coming soonish

Big ass AAA games released several years before in PS, already being sold dirt cheap and given away on PS Plus/Plus Collection/PS Now/Days of Play and all of them except one will have an important release a PS5 only sequel/movie/tv show coming.

Not any game is a candidate. They said they won't release all their games on PC and that they don't plan to release them day one, but instead that will be several years old games (the first times they mentioned the PC ports specified PS4 games) to don't affect PS5 sales. They mentioned that will act as bait to make some PC players want a PS5, but they know that most PC players who will buy these ports won't buy a PS5 because some of them live in countries where they don't have consoles or are too expensive, or are simply players who only play on PC and never would buy a console.

The GeForce Now list might not be accurate, but I wouldn't start guessing what will release based on only a few examples.
Well, at least is something that matches more with the strategy Sony mentioned, and doesn't include random stuff like a PSP Capcom game with typos in the name or games cancelled years ago like Scalebound.

Honestly a game like Returnal for instance would be a bit of a no brainer.
They seem to be focused on supersellers instead because they have more sales potential, and prefer to choose PS4 games with something else related to market months later.

But yes, they may port it to PC. But like 3 or 4 years from now, closer to the release of its sequel and distant from its original release. So they wouldn't have that project there. They should have there projects to be released the next year or two, which according to Jimbo and Hermen will be old PS4 games.

I'd believe to see GT Sport instead of GT7. Or Spider-Man instead of Returnal. And obviously what seems to be the most requested port, Bloodborne, instead of Deracine.

Why do I need a console? Serious question
To play the (some of them temporal) exclusive games, to forget about drivers/incompatibilities/bad ports/expensive hardware upgrades during 7 years or so/having to keep tweaking settings to get an optimal performance/etc. In console you simply buy games and play them at optimal settings without having to worry if they will port X exclusive and if they do it, to guess how many years they will wait before porting it.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
My laptop actually has a 1050ti, no the best thing ever but it's still great to play indies and less demanding games (even newer stuff tends to run ok at 30fps).
These days though, if I'm going to spend a lot of money building a PC I want it to be somewhat future proof, and cards like the 1050ti aren't really it, specially if you are aiming for 60fps and 1440p.

The MSRP for the 3000 series had finally reached that sweet spot of price to performance for me, shame it quickly went to hell.
Your laptop will be able to play GOW just fine. A few years ago I had a laptop with a 1050 ti, I think it was a nitro or something I was playing breath of the wild at 1440p on CEMU. Obviously I don't recommend to build a new PC with a 1050 ti if you want serious performance, but you already have the thing and it can play most games at 1080p 1440p 30fps/60fps.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
All the ones they published or announced until now:

3 games is not much of a pattern.. I don't know why you need to repeat the list. My point being that yes, that is something to note.. that doesn't mean they won't make other decisions not based on sequels or cross-marketing for film or TV.

Not any game is a candidate. They said they won't release all their games on PC and that they don't plan to release them day one, but instead that will be several years old games

No, any game is a candidate. For one it doesn't matter what they said in 2020 or 2021 as they can change lol And.. "not all games".. doesn't mean.. any game isn't a candidate. lol

Beyond that, they certainly haven't been as prescriptive as saying "several year old games".. Jim Ryan said this in Februray:

Fair enough. So releasing PlayStation games on PC was something that Sony PlayStation held back on for a long time. Now it sounds like you’re very much on that bandwagon. What changed?

I think a few things changed. We find ourselves now in early 2021 with our development studios and the games that they make in better shape than they’ve ever been before. Particularly from the latter half of the PS4 cycle our studios made some wonderful, great games. There’s an opportunity to expose those great games to a wider audience and recognise the economics of game development, which are not always straightforward. The cost of making games goes up with each cycle, as the calibre of the IP has improved. Also, our ease of making it available to non-console owners has grown. So it’s a fairly straightforward decision for us to make.

There are not many qualifiers here.. he just implies it's "in particular for the latter half of the PS4 generation"... that could quite easily include a game like Ghosts of Tsushima. If they are smart they'll experiment with not just many year old games, they'd do it for games that aren't quite as old.

They seem to be focused on supersellers instead because they have more sales potential, and prefer to choose PS4 games with something else related to market months later.

Again; I refer back to my main point.. there first few PC games being released does not mean every game has to follow some trend.

Beyond that they've definitely hinted that more GAAS/MTX oriented games could be released off console.. and those would make way more sense much closer to release.

As Jim Ryan put it in that same GQ interview above "There was no massive adverse reaction to it. So we will continue to take mission steps in this direction.".

Look I'm not saying they'll go day one everything, or anything of that sort.. but thinking a game like Ghosts of Tsushima is off the table is just silly to me. They are experimenting.. have told investors it's going well.. and continued to indicate they plan to expand on this concept. Only doing really old supersellers or IPs with other tie-ins sequels is not much of an expansion as they'll run out of those fairly quickly.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yeah lets wait for last 3 years ps5 ex and I want to see you playing it on base ps5 ;d what next ps titles you predicting on pc ? :d
They just bought Nixxes and said they bought them to port over their games to PC. Lots more are coming. We have already seen Uncharted and now GOW get ported in back to back months. Horizon, Death Stranding, Days Gone, Detroit are already gone. Spiderman or Ghost of Tsushima are next. TLOU they will save till they reveal the PS5 remake. Then both TLOU remake and TLOU2 remake will be sold as one bundle with Factions.

That will leave just The Last Guardian, Ratchet Remake, and Bloodborne. None of these games sold enough for them to port them to PC. They might do Bloodborne because souls games typically sell well on PC, but i highly doubt they would prioritize that over Horizon 2, GT7 and GOW2 ports next year.

Fbh

Your laptop will be able to play GOW just fine. A few years ago I had a laptop with a 1050 ti, I think it was a nitro or something I was playing breath of the wild at 1440p on CEMU. Obviously I don't recommend to build a new PC with a 1050 ti if you want serious performance, but you already have the thing and it can play most games at 1080p 1440p 30fps/60fps.

I have a Ps4 pro and already played it so I won't really pick this is up.
I was talking more generally, PC just seems to way to go. More options, games are much cheaper thanks to regional pricing in my country (as well as key resellers), free multiplayer, MS games day 1, Gamepass, and now more and more Sony first party games (admittedly several years later, but still).

But right now it's hard to justify the price of a Ps5 + Series X for a mid tier GPU alone.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Yes, Sony will do this just for 3-5 games and ignore the sweet cash more Sony exclusives coming down the line like Bloodborne and Spider-Man will provide the company, because they don't want their fans to lose their bragging rights.

The more money those games will help Sony make, the whole lot more games will be added to the pile.

I doubt that the majority of PS owners will skip the PS entirely and buy a 2,000 euro PC in order to game at native 4K. The console will forever remain the best option for the person who is interested in 5-50 games but doesn't want to spend more than 400 bucks for the platform which will play said games.

But there was also a sizeable PC player base who was unwilling to buy a PS console for 10 games (and who were lacking in terms of visuals due to the console's lesser specs). Those are the guys Jim is after, and their money is as good as Ryan's.

Got to laugh at these raging fanboy lunatics. I was a sony boy ages ago and would always shitpost against xbox and hope their E3 would suck.

Then I joined the PC army (Im a general there) and never looked back, only down at the plebs.

I suggest you all do the same. We get all the best games with the best visuals

Top Bottom