• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok: SPOILER-HEIM

sainraja

Finished the main story last night. It was alright. Honestly surprised this got so many 10s.

I understand the direction of the story and find the ending kind of neat and where Kratos is potentially headed. That's cool.

But I do miss angry fuck shit up kratos and I was really expecting to get that in this game.

Curious to see where this franchise goes from here.
Well, it was clear that this Kratos isn't the angry Kratos in the 2018 game. So, personally, I wasn't expecting it BUT I was hoping that they would have done a neat "flash back" of something from the first game, where you get to control Kratos, and the gameplay of that flash back scene is like the original games....I think that would have been nice and a neat touch. :D

Last edited:

sainraja

Yea, I don't see any studio considering themselves that - but there are definitely folks on this forum that consider the studios "masterful" at storytelling. Which is baffling as the writing is, at best, only OK. Never above that.
I don't really get comments like this. I don't consider the story of the game to be "masterful" at storytelling....but it's not that bad. I am not sure what your problems are exactly but maybe others got to experience this type of story in a game and that is what they found to be "masterful", the way it was blended with gameplay.

I think they played it a little safe, but I enjoyed it. The story was interesting enough for me to play-through the game and I also enjoyed the combat so I took my time but anyway....characters don't have to die for a story to have meaning 🤷‍♂️ and they have already set up Atreus to be the one we will play as next so that could be interesting.

Last edited:

MacReady13

For me the game was fine. Not the 10 out of 10 masterpiece everyone said it was but a solid 8 out of 10. I didn’t really enjoy most of the Loki controlled segments. The story was fine but I think sometimes devs forget we are playing a video game. We want to control our character and do what he does best- combat! Give us more combat and less talking.

Last edited:
Loved the game.

At least till I reached the crater. Had to put it down for a bit because I saw it for what it was - content padding with a very limited effect on advancing the story.

Came back to it after a bit and enjoyed it while finishing the game.

My first Platinum on PlayStation and I think the game was a masterpiece.

Kerotan

Ragnarok was too brief, I wanted to see armies clash, Thor vs Jormungadr, Shield maidens vs Valkyries, Slepnir (which was hinted at in 2018 in the triptych murals).
I think it's as a result of the one shot camera policy. Most games would just cut to a cut scene and show the things you listed but because of their one shot camera policy with no pre rendered cutscenes this isn't possible.
A "twist" would be something you didn't see coming. Odin masquerading as Tyr was so painfully obvious even before the release. This guy didn't "predict" anything. Just stated the obvious that most people knew.
I had no idea it was him and none of my friends did either.
Loved the game.

At least till I reached the crater. Had to put it down for a bit because I saw it for what it was - content padding with a very limited effect on advancing the story.

It's really intended as post game content. You can't really complain because most publisher's would have boxed off the crater and sold it as a $20 expansion.

Speaking of they'll probably do an Atreus expansion where he goes off and does his thing but will ultimately reveal who the giant snake is and where he came from.

I knew Artreus would destroy the damn mask the moment they put it back together.
So we just gonna leave that green crack and never mentioned it again huh.

The_hunter

Speaking of they'll probably do an Atreus expansion where he goes off and does his thing but will ultimately reveal who the giant snake is and where he came from.
The snake you save from Angrboda's grandma eventually becomes Jormungander and fights at Rangnarok. Unless what you meant is who the identity of the giant that was placed in Jormungander is.

oji-san

Banned
Didn't get the Jormungandr thing tbh, you see him and talk to him in the first game and he has a big role and even appear in the final battle, then you see him in frozen Midgard at the second game, ok... same one fully grown giant snake.. so how is that you save the snake in Jotunheim from Angrbooa grandma and put the unknown gaint soul in it, it becomes Jormungandr.. did we go back in time? Another thing i didn't like about the story, just like in the end Jormungandr disappear after the Thor battle, didn't get it.

Last edited:
Didn't get the Jormungandr thing tbh, you see him and talk to him in the first game and he has a big role and even appear in the final battle, then you see him in frozen Midgard at the second game, ok... same one fully grown giant snake.. so how is that you save the snake in Jotunheim from Angrbooa grandma and put the unknown gaint soul in it, it becomes Jormungandr.. did we go back in time? Another thing i didn't like about the story, just like in the end Jormungandr disappear after the Thor battle, didn't get it.

There are 2 Jormungandr exist at the same time.
Thor punched the younger version so hard that he go back to the past.
Older version still lying some where in Midgard.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Thanks for the info, Now i like it even less, let's hope there isn't a second Kratos around or even worse a second Atreus.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Thanks for the info, Now i like it even less, let's hope there isn't a second Kratos around or even worse a second Atreus.

Dont give them any ideas.....i can see it already.....a scene where there are two Kratos yelling "BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" at Atreus

Kerotan

So I've a stupid fucking bug that won't let me through a crack to a part of alfeim.

so I can't finish the las
t remnants of Asgard quest and I'm assuming that needs to be finished to complete the beyond Ragnarok main quest.

I've already platinum the game but just wondering if anything cool happens afterwards. And yes I've already been to the prison on nippleheim.

aclar00

But all the funeral is disappointing and feels cheap. You arrive to the celebration in the tavern and there are only three characters and Brok's corpse lying on a table. With no extra props or clothes, only the same Brok 3D model lying on a table. I remember thinking "when did this game went from AAAA to AA?". I would rather prefer nothing than something so poor for a such important and dramatic scene.

My niggest gripe os the lack of NPCs, the world just felt deaf. All these worlds and hardly any interactions other than battling.

Kerotan

My niggest gripe os the lack of NPCs, the world just felt deaf. All these worlds and hardly any interactions other than battling.
There was a lot of NPC's in svartleheim when you first enter the town and understandably they all go into hiding as you approach. But after Ragnarok they should have all emerged and been enjoying life adding atmosphere to the village.

Fredrik

It’s a fragmented game for me. There is some really good story telling in there, and I loved every single second Thor was there, and I like the combat more than in 2018, it’s great, loving all the choices there. But they break it all up so often with these puzzles they never let you fully solve by yourself and the annoyingly linear and slow climbing and crawling sections, that in the end I just don’t like the complete package.
I took a break somewhere in the middle because I simply got bored, but I’m glad I went back and saw the end of it if they some day continue the story.
Action 10/10
Story 9/10
Direction 4/10
Overall 8/10

Banned
Of course, opinions and all..

But I haven't had another game where I've felt interested enough to Platinum it.

This did that. I didn't have that sense of wanting to get more stuff done after an 'endgame' in any other game, across any other console so far.

So yeah, a masterpiece in my books.

if this is a masterpiece then the standards have truly fallen down a hill

if this is a masterpiece then the standards have truly fallen down a hill
Sure Jan GIF

noise36

After putting it down for a bit at the crater aka filler level, I just smashed it out on easy to get it finished.

Lots to like about the game! Gameplay and graphics are nice, direction and story not so much. I liked it less and less the more I played, its more dad of war than god of war.

I dont finish that many games so that in itself is saying a lot. 8/10

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Finally finished the main story but not the additional ending. I wanted to talk about my thoughts here.

Overall, an incredible narrative driven action game.

The beginning of this game is bad the first 10 to 15 hours is very slow to me. The sequence where you play Atreus and go to Jotunheimen with the paint girl giant almost made me stop. This was far to long, and uninteresting. I know it is setting up the whole story, but it is bad. Collect this fruit, collect these things, ride this animal, feed these things, is all extremely tedious. I would have rather had a 20 minute Kojima cut scene than play though that section of the game. I do like how she uses paint and color to fight but the section is terrible.

Once you get out of that section the game gets moving and becomes a better narative. I did not do a ton of side stuff just because I was worn out from Atreus the first time. The next time he breaks away I was worried, but I found the segments with THor and Thruid all enjoyable. They were fighting sequences with exposition worked it.

Killing Heimdall is about the most satisfying thing in the game. A character never deserved it more than that dude. I really enjoyed that payoff.

The rest of the game introduces a lot of characters and adventures, and you come to areas different ways that are fun. Saving the guy that fell out of the boat and the dragon fight is fun.

Thor's death sets the tone. Death of Brock was a tough twist. SIndri's anger afterward was really well done.

The final battle with Odin was satisfactory, but I had harder battles early on probably due to being rusty with the controls. I thought the death of Odin was great.

Great story with a satisfying ending and some great characters.

Thor kept reminding me of someone so I looked up the actor and it is the guy from Remember the Titans. HE was excellent.

For me not better than Elden Ring but still a great game.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Finally did it. Got the platinum.

From a huge god of war fan I have mixed emotions, excellent gameplay when the game actually let's you go for it.

Heading off to work, need to take some time to think about it. Once I've had time to really think about my complete 60 hours of playtime I will do a proper post.

Overall, for the franchise history and my personal investment I'd say its a solid 7.5/10. It makes some huge mistakes for me personally which is extremely frustrating becuase my main issues are all just around pacing and a very weak story, delivery and Overall decisions around giving the player control of their gaming experience.

Anyway, I'll post more in depth thoughts when i can, can't wait for the next one and I hope they take honest feedback on board and make it a great god of war game again. They were close but made some glaring mistakes imo.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Loved the game.

I also consider it to be a masterpiece

The combat, the story, the visuals (even being crossgen) and I liked EVERY single character that was put on the screen

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, my main points on this game.

I can see what SSM were going for and I guess what felt like an great idea, and an attempt to focus the story around Atreus / Loki to show how the bond between a parent and child how it can nurture a relation ship where they both learn from each other, I ultimately feel like it failed in its execution and overall its goal of delivering an excellent game worthy of being spoken of in the same breath of as the incredible god of war 2018. There was some great moments, but unfortunately those great moments for me were all hidden within the side content and when the game actually allowed me to play as Kratos (The God Of War and main character of this franchise up until now..anyway) so I ultimately felt let down by it.

We have great examples of decent action games with multiple characters. You need a supporting character with just as good move set as the main protagonist. In this case, Loki is such a weak character to play...his sections come off as filler, but we can see they SSM is trying to build the story around him...the problem for me....he is just no where near as fun to play as Kratos...and while I respect the kid is doing the best job he can, he came across as annoying in his delivery of the character in the story sections too....I just couldn't get behind his character arc at all. just a shame....He needed a much more robust move set and just as good a skill set to be able to stand with the great playing Kratos...this just made me loath the sections when the game forced me to play as him. Give me more moves etc and maybe this could have changed.

The story and all its moments just felt like a board full of ideas of scenes and they randomly just connected the strings like Charlie Day in always sunny. Massive drop in quality here over the previous game.

The good:

- Great combat when you are Kratos
- Incredible animation and motion capture
- Great sense of scale and beautiful draw distances / World geometry that is often breath taking
- Kratos - sometimes!
- Brock
- Side content is top tier and the best part of the game by an absolute country mile
- Companions work pretty well in combat. Combat system is pretty damned good for a series that is normally competent.

The Bad:

- Story focusing on Loki just didn't work for me
- Constant chatter is borderline disgusting. I was actually saying out loud SHUT THE FUCK UP!

This I have to touch on, it was absolutely terrible. One example I was fighting the dragons and had already used my spear to get the dragon off its stone Purch by destroying the pillar.....It landed and i was fighting enemies and Loki was just shouting constantly..."If there was only a way to get it off that pillar"....."You should throw your spear at that piller" etc...this is just one example of many...I was like "I FUCKING KNOW..I've done it once all ready!" This was infuriating and anyone who played it knows how much shit is getting shouted. Terrible stuff. Please SSM do NOT do this ever again!

- Long dragged out sections of story - the story in general - the first ten hours or so are shockingly bad paced.
- Just let me play as Kratos - or make Loki a viable strong playing character with a decent move set.
- Some dodgy face models and graphics on some characters - showing it's PS4 roots. Bad lip syncing etc.
- Conversations starting...Kratos or someone saying stop talking when landing the boat...."We will carry this convo on later" - Convo never happened...not sure if a bug?

And that's more or less it.

I enjoyed it but there were some very strange decisions, i felt it could have been half as long...or needed the story to be completely overhauled, and playable sections of the story to make those 20 to 30 hours enjoyable.

Glad I played it and cant wait for what's next of my big boy Kratos....I was so happy when Loki fucked off!

He played his part and taught the big lad how to think a little differently at least.

Finally finished it yesterday. In some ways I think it's great and in other ways it's very flawed.

+ It looks great, in both fidelity and art design. Love the atmosphere.

+ The core gameplay/combat mechanics are good

+ I really liked the core story

I guess I only have 3 positives, but they are very, very positive.

- Bloated mechanics. I was 20-something hours in and the game gave me a new way to open doors. C'mon. And the combat has too many things to do.

- Atreus. I really could have done with about 20% less time playing as Atreus.

- The lecturing. Oh my God, I do not need to get a lecture on how masculinity should work every half an hour.

- The level design needed some straightening out (literally). Too many winding paths, too much walking to get back to the closest fast travel point.

- The modern/quippy dialogue. I don't need Surtur to talk like he's in a Taika Waititi movie. "Get big. Smash stuff."

Overall, I liked it a lot, enough I plan to do New Game Plus. But it's pretty damning that it's taken me this long (I bought it at launch); I'd play for a while and then hit a long stretch of getting lectured or playing as Atreus and I'd drop it for a few weeks. I did start replaying God of War II recently, and I'd love to get a RE 4-style remake of that. The original trilogy is one of my favorite things in gaming.

Top Bottom