• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok: SPOILER-HEIM

BEWARE THERE IS LOTS OF POST GAME CONTENT THAT CAN STILL BE SPOILERS!!!

The OT has started getting dicey, and many of us have beat the game and are dying to talk all about it! So here we are I'll start first,

I reeaaally enjoyed it, but not as much as the last one. Combat is so much fun but I don't feel like they added all that much. The skill trees are almost exactly the same, unlocking the same moves from the first one. Only one new weapon was kind of a let down too.

The realms were pretty and interesting, but I was hoping for more outlandish areas. I didn't mind going back to midgard and alfheim since they changed so much, but helheim and muspelheim were just the same.

My BIGGEST gripe though is how underwhelming asgard and the rest of the pantheon were though. Like it makes sense lore wise, but the reveal of it being a little shitty skyrim village was so deflating for me. And then Thor is this bipolar cuck (understandable as his whole family is dying and odin dont care), and his end fight is lackluster. Odin's end fight wasn't great either.

Also the fights where its just 5 lizards or eyeballs or floating sigils...wack.

But no I swear I really enjoyed it lol I was just hoping for some old kratos/god of war badassery in the end. At least they didn't kill him! Was so relieved

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Just wanna drop these 2 pics and fuck off lol
I haven't finished yet

FhT3ZvHXgBciRxq

FhT2ECJXgAA583x

The art direction oof

Oh and can't wait to talk about fenrir boss battle. 🙌

Justin9mm

Haven't finished yet, but I have no idea how they got this game to look as good as it does running a lot higher then 60 FPS @120hz in High frame rate mode. I was originally playing in Quality 40 FPS unlocked but the graphical difference between quality and performance is negligible, and the performance difference and experience is leaps and bounds better.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finished the game. Below opinion on game, ending and time it took me: (major ending complaints)

-43 hours. I did a lot of side stuff. Whole elf deserts, whole dwarf lands, most of midgard and main veneheim. Only some of the crater. Never touched sutr challanges. Feels like there is at lest 40h left if I want to do everything.
-Angrboda was pointless Mary Sue nobody. She is a kid, yet giants are long dead. Her grandmother is the last living big giant and she is just jack and the beanstalk monster.
You transport to her forest just by fucking sleeping, spend 2 hours with her doing nothing and she gives you souls of giants?
She appears at the ending with her "huh giant magic you all!" and saves everyone. This is the laziest and most pathetic excuse of an ending I've seen in a long time. WTF
-Atreus pushes Kratos into angrboda rift and it cuts away... only to have him wake up safe and sound. but.. how? Why did they felt the need for this idiotic last moment cut away...
-Then Atreus goes the fuck who knows where to look for giants? Don't he have them in his purse? And why can't they go together? They make it sound like he is going far away... but we know all realms... he can't go THAT far and the danger is gone
-I hate the "oh there are still bad guys because Asgard exploded !!! Have some dignity and end this. Put monsters and animals in their place. The whole valhalla situation makes no sense now.
-Game was to mechanics heavy... and then you learn none of it mattered. You get great armor for free at the ending anyway and upgrading it to +8/9 is cheaper than other armors too.
-Bad, busy ui... just as busy as game mechanics are
-Great combat. Just too busy for me.
-Redundant weapons that all do the same. The spear is awesome but it is barely justified.
-Asgard was just a fucking wooden village lol.
-Thor arc sucked. Sif got super good at the end there all of sudden.
-Puzzles were good except when companions give you solutions before you notice the puzzle.
-Exploration is good. A bit maze like in some areas but good. Very addicting.
-I dislike inetraction markers on all ledges and even when climbing. Make it more free form... no need to have that white paint all over the game.
-Kratos story... kinda went nowhere? He accepted to trust his son. that's it.
-playing as Atreus was fine.. I just did not wanted to play as Atreus. But his later sections were ok
-I also found the combat too difficult in that "crazy fast 10 things happening at once" way. You get used to it and I did. I played on default difficulty and it was fine with bosses but some exploration fights were a bit tiresome.
-Not sure if I like the modern writing on some of the characters. Like Odin just talking "oh yeah cool, let's have peace don't we, soorry bro" type of stuff. Same with Sutr.
-Brok Death makes no sense. it's just for shock. The way Sindri is angry forever makes no fucking sense whatsoever

-And of course the biggest one. Prophecies were all true UNTIL THEY WERE NOT.
Why Kratos didn't die? Why isn't snake coming out of his mouth? they just say "oh these panels are old and were replaced by these new panels we just found". Are you fucking kidding me?! They could've turned it into winning with fate but no. Fate is all written down... they just looked t the wrong panels lol.
And the big snake had nothing to do. How disappointing.

So yeah. Story is trash for the most part. Especially Angrboda parts, Giants parts and Ending... in my opinion of course.

Now for some of good things(obviously I liked the game and i's super quality):
-Amazing cinematics
-Voice acting
-Combat
-Exploration
-Lots to do (too much really)
-Very addicting gameplay loop.
-Axe is still the best weapon! Very satysfing.
-My fav open world exploration hubs were alfhaim deserts and dwarf lands. The side quests with flying medusa and whale were super cool and exploration in this area was fantastic. Veneheim exploration was terrible in comparison.

In the end, 2018 was better. Had better story, world and gameplay... but said that, I am not disappointed in the sequel. It was a fantastic game.
I will just sooner replay 3 and 2018 rather than Ragnarok.
In the end, it really is just the old tired by the book ragnarok story/fall of asgard... I was hoping for GOD OF WAR story. Not nordic mythology 101 with god of war characters IN IT... and nothing with Athena

The fact that these game got all the 10s is crazy. Are critics blind? Especially to the bad story, angrboda "mah giant magic ending" and redundancy/overmachanized gameplay.
Don’t get me wrong. It’s one of the best games I’ve played but they made weird choices. Especially with the story

edit: And yeah... I still can't get myself to wear these full armors lol. Only wore the strap armors that cover 1 or 2 shoulders lol

Last edited:
Love the ending, good way to end it. Sidequests were incredible and meaningful. The only character I found a tad annoying a bit was Atreus. Everyone else was phenomenal. Great acting, good cut-scenes, awesome plot twists. Great sense of exploration and good level design for a game was being made for a hardware that was released in 2013.

Spear was an awesome addition, and a fantastic fantasy of feeling like a greek soldier.
Brok's death while unforutante, was still well done. I think I shed a tear doing his funeral quest. Amazing support character, loved it.
I felt bad for Thor, but overall a good character, I liked his story arc. Very glad Kratos didn't kill him.
Sif is a hot wifey so that's also a plus.
I want to marry Freya, powerful, sexy, confident and well written.
Atreus can go play with the balls for all I care, wasn't a huge fan of his story. Gameplay was decent
Odin was well acted, voiced and I love his potryal as a typical narssistic gaslighting douchebag.
Norns was a cool lore moment
Tyr not being actually Tyr really surprised me, at first I didn't like it, but then it grew on me and loved it.

To all the people complaining about the combat is hard, stop crying and get good. I played 2nd time on GMGOW and did all main bosses with 0 hits. Either A) You are slow, or B) You don't understand combat design, animation frames, C) Simply Suck or D) All of the above. In all honesty, it is not that difficult.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Love the ending, good way to end it. Sidequests were incredible and meaningful. The only character I found a tad annoying a bit was Atreus. Everyone else was phenomenal. Great acting, good cut-scenes, awesome plot twists. Great sense of exploration and good level design for a game was being made for a hardware that was released in 2013.

Spear was an awesome addition, and a fantastic fantasy of feeling like a greek soldier.
Brok's death while unforutante, was still well done. I think I shed a tear doing his funeral quest. Amazing support character, loved it.
I felt bad for Thor, but overall a good character, I liked his story arc. Very glad Kratos didn't kill him.
Sif is a hot wifey so that's also a plus.
I want to marry Freya, powerful, sexy, confident and well written.
Atreus can go play with the balls for all I care, wasn't a huge fan of his story. Gameplay was decent
Odin was well acted, voiced and I love his potryal as a typical narssistic gaslighting douchebag.
Norns was a cool lore moment
Tyr not being actually Tyr really surprised me, at first I didn't like it, but then it grew on me and loved it.

To all the people complaining about the combat is hard, stop crying and get good. I played 2nd time on GMGOW and did all main bosses with 0 hits. Either A) You are slow, or B) You don't understand combat design, animation frames, C) Simply Suck or D) All of the above. In all honesty, it is not that difficult.

I am not saying the combat is too hard... I am saying it's too frantic and there is too many redundant mechanics. There is elegance in simplicity.
I've managed just ok on default balance difficulty but it was more like "ooof.... here goes another cacophony of noise and everything happening fast around me".
Games have this need to get faster. I have the same issue with Elden Ring... Souls games will never return to pre-bloodborne enemy fights and speed. Even DS3 is slower in comparison to some ER fights... there is a reason why ds2 is my fav but it's another topic

I mean Angrboda says it was her giant magic but that is bs, as in it wasn't even her... It was best boy Fenrir, lol. He can create the rifts, remember?
So the writing there was stupid. Also Freyr, why sacrifice yourself? When Surtur lifts the sword, why not escape?
Something else that pisses me off, Sindri, I mean yeah I get it but Odin fooled everyone. It's no one's fault, these people are your family after all you have been through. :'(
Overall I enjoyed the game, the countless gaps etc you have to squeeze through are annoying though.

Just finished the game. Wow. I'm kind of lost for words. In some ways a bittersweet ending because of Brok and Sindri, but nonetheless spectacular. I really loved the direction they took Kratos and especially Freya, and the latter was the standout for me in this game. Atreus came off as incredibly annoying at times and I just felt like telling him to shut up lol but yes as someone who loved the 2018 game, this some how managed to top that game, in terms of story telling, characters, world design, combat and so much more.

Story elements aside, the world and environmental design of this game is absolutely breathtaking. Just wow, especially Vanaheim and Jotunheim, I've never seen art direction on that level. Regardless of it being cross-gen, this was a bloody good looking game running on my PS5.

There's so much more I can talk about but I'll be going forever, but one final thing I will say is....
Good Lord Sif is smoking hot

Just finished the game. Wow. I'm kind of lost for words. In some ways a bittersweet ending because of Brok and Sindri, but nonetheless spectacular. I really loved the direction they took Kratos and especially Freya, and the latter was the standout for me in this game. Atreus came off as incredibly annoying at times and I just felt like telling him to shut up lol but yes as someone who loved the 2018 game, this some how managed to top that game, in terms of story telling, characters, world design, combat and so much more.

Story elements aside, the world and environmental design of this game is absolutely breathtaking. Just wow, especially Vanaheim and Jotunheim, I've never seen art direction on that level. Regardless of it being cross-gen, this was a bloody good looking game running on my PS5.

There's so much more I can talk about but I'll be going forever, but one final thing I will say is....
Good Lord Sif is smoking hot
Yeah - Thor scored a good one. Hot milf.

On topic of the story - this is the end of the Norse saga and it's obvious that Kratos has done the opposite for the Norse Pantheon vs the Greek. In the Greek, he destroyed the pantheon, in the Norse he saved the pantheon as the mural shows him being worshiped and idolized.

Atreus fucked off to do his own thing (thank god) the only way I see this moving forward to another Pantheon is going to be Mimir. Mimir is actually a being from another world, more specifically Celtic/Irish hence his Scottish accent. Also, if you did the sidequest after beating the game you get to find the real Tyr who was imprisned by Odin. The body has to be alive in order for Odin to take their shape, hence why real Tyr was locked in an actual prison in Niflheim. When you meet him there, Tyr says "I know you from somewhere", "I heard your name before" Freya offers him to go chill at Sindri's house but Tyr declines and says that he needs to sit down and be alone for a bit to process who he just met and saw (kratos obviously) If you go back to GoW 2018 and go down an elevator in Tyr's temple, there is a tapestry on the wall of Tyr visiting different pantheons including Egypt.

TLDR - Mimir and Tyr are the key to going to different Pantheons. I can't wait too see what's next.

Last edited:

Markio128

Just finished the main game - absolutely loved all of it. Fantastic last couple of hours and the ending was perfect.

What seems to be against the grain is that I really enjoyed Atreus’s missions, especially the dream. Yes, it had a slow section with the fruit collecting, but being in the giant grandma home felt like playing through an awesome version of Jack and the Beanstalk.

Now it seems I have a ton of endgame stuff to do, and I can’t wait to get stuck in - a quick look at the initial Midgard map shows that I have completed 18% of it. In fact, I think I’ve only finished 2 or 3 side missions, so I’ve got loads to be getting on with.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Just finished the game. I really enjoyed it.

+ The cast of characters are so much better in this game. Angrboda character/actor is probably my favorite.
+ Playing alongside other characters was fun instead of just being partnered with Atreus.
+ The game feels bigger compared to 2018.
+ I have not completed all side missions yet, but so far there are some big boss fights during the side missions.
+ A lot of different enemy types compared to 2018. One of my major complaints about 2018 GoW was that a lot of the enemies are the same. There were just so many troll fights in the first game.
+ Navigating across realms and the map is much easier this time around.

- The game is easier compared to GoW 2018.
- I keep thinking about Arnold Schwarzenegger every time Kratos gets hit.
- I thought playing Atreus was just "ok." I got a bit bored playing as him when he first met Angrboda, but his segments did get better later on (when you're teamed up with Thor).
- The way the game is set up is kind of a spoiler. They were not going to have you complete the game and explore the worlds without Kratos so it was predictable.
- The best set pieces happened during the beginning of the game and they were kind of lacking near the end.

While I enjoyed the story in both games, I thought 2018's story was a bit better. However, the gameplay and the world just feels better in this game.

I give it a 9/10.

I wonder if this is the last God of War game, or if they will continue God of War with Atreus…. I’m not sure how I feel about that… It would be nice if they embraced the old GOW style again, but I fear that this cinematic walk and talk style is going to be the standard for all future GOW games…
If they continue with Kratos, then I think the Roman Pantheon would make the most sense. A Roman Pantheon that Athena guided and helped build and would inevitably conquer the Nordic Realms. Perhaps with the Roman Pantheon we could see a return to the spectacle and gore of the Greek saga.

Mephisto40

I get the feeling the next game is going to be set in Egypt, there are remains of an old Pharaoh called Sa-Nakht who is known as the worlds oldest known human giant, which I think would tie in with Atreus disappearing at the end of Ragnorok

Jayjayhd34

Just finished the game. I really enjoyed it.

+ The cast of characters are so much better in this game. Angrboda character/actor is probably my favorite.
+ Playing alongside other characters was fun instead of just being partnered with Atreus.
+ The game feels bigger compared to 2018.
+ I have not completed all side missions yet, but so far there are some big boss fights during the side missions.
+ A lot of different enemy types compared to 2018. One of my major complaints about 2018 GoW was that a lot of the enemies are the same. There were just so many troll fights in the first game.
+ Navigating across realms and the map is much easier this time around.

- The game is easier compared to GoW 2018.
- I keep thinking about Arnold Schwarzenegger every time Kratos gets hit.
- I thought playing Atreus was just "ok." I got a bit bored playing as him when he first met Angrboda, but his segments did get better later on (when you're teamed up with Thor).
- The way the game is set up is kind of a spoiler. They were not going to have you complete the game and explore the worlds without Kratos so it was predictable.
- The best set pieces happened during the beginning of the game and they were kind of lacking near the end.

While I enjoyed the story in both games, I thought 2018's story was a bit better. However, the gameplay and the world just feels better in this game.

I give it a 9/10.
Angrboda section was awful

skit_data

Loved the scene in the tent before the final battle in Asgard.
The story definitely didn’t end the way he later says it did, that new ending came to him in the form of memories of Faye.
Probably would’ve changed the whole outcome of the battle and the game if Atreus didn’t fall asleep so fast.

I wonder if this is the last God of War game, or if they will continue God of War with Atreus…. I’m not sure how I feel about that… It would be nice if they embraced the old GOW style again, but I fear that this cinematic walk and talk style is going to be the standard for all future GOW games…
If they continue with Kratos, then I think the Roman Pantheon would make the most sense. A Roman Pantheon that Athena guided and helped build and would inevitably conquer the Nordic Realms. Perhaps with the Roman Pantheon we could see a return to the spectacle and gore of the Greek saga.
Tyr and Mimir are the key to traveling to other pantheons. Tyr has seen/heard the name Kratos prior to all this (this is confirmed, if you did the secret side quest where he talks to Kratos about it after being freed from the prison in Niflheim) Mimir is from Celtic myths actually and is not from this pantheon.

Cory Balrog stated originally the new God of War games were supposed to take place in Egypt, but they ended up doing Norse instead. In GoW 2018 when you go up and down inside the Tyr's temple elevator you can see a tapestry on the wall as you right up or down with Tyr visiting different pantheons including Egypt and Japan.

You WILL play as Kratos. You can't have a God of War game without Kratos. That's like playing a Zelda game without Link or Halo without Master Chief. It just would not make any sense and would piss everyone off.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Kratos just wants to chill now, why go somewhere else and start killing again? He isn't as young anymore. If we get another game, dlc or spinoff it will be Atreus.
But I don't think we will be seeing anything GoW related for a long while now.

gow3isben

My favorite God of War game and one of my favorite games of all time.

I have some extreme disappointments.

1. How the hell was Surtr not made into an epic set piece Boss fight like Chronos? It is damn Surtr he is screaming to be the one biggest and most obvious bossfights in the whole game!
2. How the hell was Mjolnir not made into a fourth weapon? Spear was fantastic and easily as good as the axe and blades but Mjolnir? It even had a different lightning element. What were they thinking???
3. Where the hell are the major setpieces? The fenrir and Freyr chase sequences were too short. Man God of War 3 and Uncharted 2/3 setpieces in which the player has agency but the environments and such are altering and going crazy and last for a good chunk are simply gone now.
4. They really needed to show more of the norse pantheon. They just showed like 6 Aesir Gods and the rest were generic Einherjar. Where is Vidar damn it!. It would be amazing if they make a DLC with Vidar as the main villain to round out some of the norse creatures. Like a focused linear Lost Legacy type of game as there is so much of the norse pantheon that is left as we only had 2 games.

Now minor complaints:

- The Thor first bossfight was insane and amazing but the second one was pretty meh honestly. He seemed overpowered as all heck initially but was totally underwhelming and didn't even seem as impressive as Baldur. They had to really amp up the spectacle with that one even more than the first bossfight.
- Jormungandr had like minimal role in this story WTF man
- The Vanir counselor and female dwarf just seemed out of place in terms of voice work. Other than that loved all the characters SSM clearly told the best story in gaming.

I would rank major bosses:

1. Fenrir/Garm
2. Nidhogg
3. Heimdall
4. Thor part 1
5. Odin
6. Valkyrie duo
7. Gryla
8. Thor part 2
9. Freya

I am not missing any right?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
the best story in gaming
excuse me ?!
BEST story in gaming?
Not with:
-Angrboda saving the day with "much giant magic I dunno" totally destroys everything they worked towards just to give her a role in the story
-Prophecies are 100% correct untile they aren't at the end. OH DUDE I FOUND THIS NEW PANEL that says you don't die and you are worshipped !!!
-Loki goes where exactly??? The realm are right here... they make it sound like he is going on some dangerous journey... but we already killed everything and odin is not a therat.
-You transporting to iron woods in your sleep because you apparently have to and story calls for it....
-Odin being very inconsistent with his powers and him knowing personal TYR history is strange
-not enough done with Thor... They almost had an idea there.
-Kratos story... (in a kratos game) ... being set wayside and really ending with a whimper
-Freya annoying whining for 75% of the game
-Jack and the beanstalk segment (and whole iron woods)
-The ending part where it fucking cuts to black for no reason. Atreus pushes you inside the portal and wakes up in his bed? Cmon dlc....

I recon 2018 had better, more personal story. This just introduces more plot holes, coincidences and is just OUR characters inside story of ragnarok... not influencing it. Just riding along
Don't get me wrong, This is a good story but with so many holes, coincidences, Angrboda and magic when needed, it's on the level of Marvel absurdity.
The best story is in games Like Soma, The Last of us2 and so on.

As for your boss fights ranking:
I really enjoyed Phantom fights. yeah, Fenrir was great. Nidhogg too. Thor part 1 also. Thor part 2 and Odin I kinda disliked as it's just too fast and it's just noise

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was really hoping for a Marvel type Asgard instead of the New Asgard look, was pretty disappointed with that.
I am happy they didn't copy Marvel but at the same time it's just a village.... with giant ugly walls.
Like what? Are we expected to believe that even Tyrs temple just outside is way better and modern?
Even ruins in midgard are more impressive

Last edited:

Mephisto40

I'd be interested to hear how many people who find the boss fights in the game disappointing also think Dark Souls has the best bossfights in gaming history

I understand people prefer set pieces for God Of War games, but the boss fights in this game were no less exciting than the bossfights in Elden Ring, a game with a much inferior story overall than GOW:R

And yet Elden Ring will get all the game of the year awards

I understand peoples gripes with it so don't think this is just bashing people annoyed with the game in some ways, I just think it's interesting how people's opinions change on whats acceptable from game to game

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'd be interested to hear how many people who find the boss fights in the game disappointing also think Dark Souls has the best bossfights in gaming history

I understand people prefer set pieces for God Of War games, but the boss fights in this game were no less exciting than the bossfights in Elden Ring, a game with a much inferior story overall than GOW:R

And yet Elden Ring will get all the game of the year awards

I understand peoples gripes with it so don't think this is just bashing people annoyed with the game in some ways, I just think it's interesting how people's opinions change on whats acceptable from game to game
I dislike Elden Ring boss fights for similar reason. It's just too fast, hectic and noisy. It's dragon ball.
The times of dark souls 1 and 2 elegant boss fights are over. Even ds3 seems slow in comparison to elden ring....
Making stuff JUST AS FAST as possible with blue warning! yellow, red warning! bifrost warning!!! All around, it's not a good way.

I find it a bad choice why can't I parry of block red attacks? The dude is just punching.... The same way like he is doing for yellow or standard attack. if the red marker was not there, there would be no way to differentiate the attacks. What to evade and what to block.
It should be clearly shown by the animations. And animations are strange and fast. There is often no windup and the punch from the enemy is just shooting forward.

Last edited:
Yeah - Thor scored a good one. Hot milf.

On topic of the story - this is the end of the Norse saga and it's obvious that Kratos has done the opposite for the Norse Pantheon vs the Greek. In the Greek, he destroyed the pantheon, in the Norse he saved the pantheon as the mural shows him being worshiped and idolized.

Atreus fucked off to do his own thing (thank god) the only way I see this moving forward to another Pantheon is going to be Mimir. Mimir is actually a being from another world, more specifically Celtic/Irish hence his Scottish accent. Also, if you did the sidequest after beating the game you get to find the real Tyr who was imprisned by Odin. The body has to be alive in order for Odin to take their shape, hence why real Tyr was locked in an actual prison in Niflheim. When you meet him there, Tyr says "I know you from somewhere", "I heard your name before" Freya offers him to go chill at Sindri's house but Tyr declines and says that he needs to sit down and be alone for a bit to process who he just met and saw (kratos obviously) If you go back to GoW 2018 and go down an elevator in Tyr's temple, there is a tapestry on the wall of Tyr visiting different pantheons including Egypt.

TLDR - Mimir and Tyr are the key to going to different Pantheons. I can't wait too see what's next.

Agreed, there's certainly openings they can create to take them to different pantheons and such.

However the biggest issue is what would nessecetate another game? Like where do you take Kratos in terms of character and narrative after Ragnarok, which in many ways concludes a lot of his story and ties up a lot of the loose ends in the Norse saga. I welcome another God of War game but I'm not sure how they'll drag Kratos story on into another pantheon.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Finished the game. Below opinion on game, ending and time it took me: (major ending complaints)

-43 hours. I did a lot of side stuff. Whole elf deserts, whole dwarf lands, most of midgard and main veneheim. Only some of the crater. Never touched sutr challanges. Feels like there is at lest 40h left if I want to do everything.
-Angrboda was pointless Mary Sue nobody. She is a kid, yet giants are long dead. Her grandmother is the last living big giant and she is just jack and the beanstalk monster.
You transport to her forest just by fucking sleeping, spend 2 hours with her doing nothing and she gives you souls of giants?
She appears at the ending with her "huh giant magic you all!" and saves everyone. This is the laziest and most pathetic excuse of an ending I've seen in a long time. WTF
-Atreus pushes Kratos into angrboda rift and it cuts away... only to have him wake up safe and sound. but.. how? Why did they felt the need for this idiotic last moment cut away...
-Then Atreus goes the fuck who knows where to look for giants? Don't he have them in his purse? And why can't they go together? They make it sound like he is going far away... but we know all realms... he can't go THAT far and the danger is gone
-I hate the "oh there are still bad guys because Asgard exploded !!! Have some dignity and end this. Put monsters and animals in their place. The whole valhalla situation makes no sense now.
-Game was to mechanics heavy... and then you learn none of it mattered. You get great armor for free at the ending anyway and upgrading it to +8/9 is cheaper than other armors too.
-Bad, busy ui... just as busy as game mechanics are
-Great combat. Just too busy for me.
-Redundant weapons that all do the same. The spear is awesome but it is barely justified.
-Asgard was just a fucking wooden village lol.
-Thor arc sucked. Sif got super good at the end there all of sudden.
-Puzzles were good except when companions give you solutions before you notice the puzzle.
-Exploration is good. A bit maze like in some areas but good. Very addicting.
-I dislike inetraction markers on all ledges and even when climbing. Make it more free form... no need to have that white paint all over the game.
-Kratos story... kinda went nowhere? He accepted to trust his son. that's it.
-playing as Atreus was fine.. I just did not wanted to play as Atreus. But his later sections were ok
-I also found the combat too difficult in that "crazy fast 10 things happening at once" way. You get used to it and I did. I played on default difficulty and it was fine with bosses but some exploration fights were a bit tiresome.
-Not sure if I like the modern writing on some of the characters. Like Odin just talking "oh yeah cool, let's have peace don't we, soorry bro" type of stuff. Same with Sutr.
-Brok Death makes no sense. it's just for shock. The way Sindri is angry forever makes no fucking sense whatsoever

-And of course the biggest one. Prophecies were all true UNTIL THEY WERE NOT.
Why Kratos didn't die? Why isn't snake coming out of his mouth? they just say "oh these panels are old and were replaced by these new panels we just found". Are you fucking kidding me?! They could've turned it into winning with fate but no. Fate is all written down... they just looked t the wrong panels lol.
And the big snake had nothing to do. How disappointing.

So yeah. Story is trash for the most part. Especially Angrboda parts, Giants parts and Ending... in my opinion of course.

Now for some of good things(obviously I liked the game and i's super quality):
-Amazing cinematics
-Voice acting
-Combat
-Exploration
-Lots to do (too much really)
-Very addicting gameplay loop.
-Axe is still the best weapon! Very satysfing.
-My fav open world exploration hubs were alfhaim deserts and dwarf lands. The side quests with flying medusa and whale were super cool and exploration in this area was fantastic. Veneheim exploration was terrible in comparison.

In the end, 2018 was better. Had better story, world and gameplay... but said that, I am not disappointed in the sequel. It was a fantastic game.
I will just sooner replay 3 and 2018 rather than Ragnarok.
In the end, it really is just the old tired by the book ragnarok story/fall of asgard... I was hoping for GOD OF WAR story. Not nordic mythology 101 with god of war characters IN IT... and nothing with Athena

The fact that these game got all the 10s is crazy. Are critics blind? Especially to the bad story, angrboda "mah giant magic ending" and redundancy/overmachanized gameplay.
Don’t get me wrong. It’s one of the best games I’ve played but they made weird choices. Especially with the story

edit: And yeah... I still can't get myself to wear these full armors lol. Only wore the strap armors that cover 1 or 2 shoulders lol
I probably need go back and replay shit cuz im sure people are gonna shut me down and tell me I just dont understand.
But I fully agree Angrboda as a whole was really bad.

And I also dont understand the whole Atreus pushing Kratos into the portal and just waking up?
What was the point of the scene?

If we are supposed to rate the game for its "amazing writing" then theres no way the game can be a full 10...cuz there is a bunch of weirdly weak writing in the game.

We beat the prophecies by sheer force of will?
If beating a prophecy only requires you to will it out of existence then fuck prophecies they are useless.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I probably need go back and replay shit cuz im sure people are gonna shut me down and tell me I just dont understand.
But I fully agree Angrboda as a whole was really bad.

And I also dont understand the whole Atreus pushing Kratos into the portal and just waking up?
What was the point of the scene?

If we are supposed to rate the game for its "amazing writing" then theres no way the game can be a full 10...cuz there is a bunch of weirdly weak writing in the game.

We beat the prophecies by sheer force of will?
If beating a prophecy only requires you to will it out of existence then fuck prophecies they are useless.
I don't think they beat the prophecy... but they just followed the wrong one?
By the end, they find a new panel "OH SO THIS IS WHAT MOM REALLY MEANT"... and that shit we saw in ending of last game was just old erased comic lol.
So they failed and they indeed JUST FOLLOWED the prophecy. There is fate and they have no say in anything. lame

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah I got the platinum, I thought it started off alright, midway was strong and then fizzled out at the end.

Also my god the combat challanges where sooooooooo.... needlessly padded, oh complete these same challenges in different orders to unlock 1/6 final challanges.

I feel like 2018 was a better game overall, especially near the end, it feels like the game should have been delayed to have that final section have impact... ironically I think Atreus at the end leaving Kratos was supposed to be this big emotional thing like a father watching his child leave home, but I felt literally nothing and that is 100% down to the poor writing. They nailed it in 2018 with the ashes and the walk back where Kratos tells Atreus of why he got his name, they just couldn't manage it this time it seems.

I think it's an 8.7/10 its not better than 2018 in my opinion, even with the new mechanics in combat it felt far less fun especially with all the range spam that required you to unlock the targetting camera, start sprinting in 0.3 seconds in one direction and then dodge roll into the oposite to stand a chance of avoiding which was getting frustrating in the berserker fight with the main tank and the two ice and fire casters, it didn't feel like a challange it felt annoying and cheap.

Last edited:

Ansphn

What did y’all think about the ending? Thought it was rather underwhelming…
I thought there would be a more epic fight with Thor that would be even better than the early fight but was let down. The fight with Odin was okay but i just envisioned more destructive fights that would destroy that stone wall surrounding Asgard. I think the beginning of the game was more memorable than the ending with the bear being Atrues, Thor and Odin reveals, Thor fight when he brought you back to life and the lightning Ice.

Overall this game was one of the best AAA this gen and only 2nd to Elden Ring for me. If Gow-R wins game of the year, i wouldn't even be mad because it was a top tier game and better than the first game that imo was the best game of last generation. Elden Ring is simply the greatest game of all time.

Last edited:
Did they ever explain the time travel shenanigans? And who blew the horn in the first game?

I forget
Thor hit Journangadur with his hammer so hard that it traveled back in time and is now a baby snake that's regrowing.

This is actually how it's told in the real Norse Mythos not specifically God of War. So they went with it.

It's a snake that keeps coming back overtime. That's just how it is.

If your asking about other time travel stuff, then j sm not sure what you are referring too.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I have nothing but respect for SSM for this rendition rather than forcing it to make sense of people banging wolves, giving birth to giant snakes and all the bullshit you find in the real Norse mythology, most of which sounds like it was written by a 10 year old.

Also, nitpicking on the story beats explained by convenient "magic" while playing a dude who traveled thousands of miles after getting impaled on a greatsword, who spawns magic chains on his forearms every time he grabs magic blades that magically attach to his back. Come on.

Also, Thor was perfect. I loved how the Aesir were portrayed, all actors involved just killed it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have nothing but respect for SSM for this rendition rather than forcing it to make sense of people banging wolves, giving birth to giant snakes and all the bullshit you find in the real Norse mythology, most of which sounds like it was written by a 10 year old.

Also, nitpicking on the story beats explained by convenient "magic" while playing a dude who traveled thousands of miles after getting impaled on a greatsword, who spawns magic chains on his forearms every time he grabs magic blades that magically attach to his back. Come on.

Also, Thor was perfect. I loved how the Aesir were portrayed, all actors involved just killed it.
It's not nitpicking. I love the game and overall charcters but I rolled my eyes when angrboda showed up with "mah magic".
Her character should not exist. She is forced in there

Markio128

So, do we think that SSM will give us some DLC, likely involving Atreus’s search for more giants? I really enjoyed playing as Atreus, so I’d be up for this personally.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well would you accept if it was due to Fenrir (nee Garn, which had already demonstrated being able to open rifts between realms)?
Sure maybe. garn could do that. Fenrir maaaybe so.
But then how Atreus moved in sleep to iron forest?
And why the cut away at the end there?

Top Bottom