• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sequel and Gran Turismo 7 are Cross Generation Titles

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Of course, even with crossgen games the PS5 version is clearly going to be superior. But for some people that’s not necessarily enough to go out and make a PS5 purchase yet.

My point was that there are next-gen only games out right now, despite these recent crossgen announcements.

Then shouldn't those people actually "wait" until those games are released before buying a PS5?

So let's see, when the PS4 launches there is no BC and Sony had just launched TLOU on PS3 a few months earlier. At launch we got Knack and a Killzone game that it seems the vast majority of people did not like, 4 or 5 months later we got InFamous SS which is a great game but almost nothing else of note from first party other than a remaster of TLOU which we had to pay for until the next year and people seemed happy with that.

The PS5 launches with BC for PS4 games, many 1st party PS4 games get patches that allow for better performance on PS5. The launch PS5 games are Demon's Souls remake (PS5 exclusive), Sackboy's Adventure, Miles Morales expansion for Spider-Man as well as a remastered version of the first game which is cross gen but looks much better on PS5, within a few months we get Returnal and 7 months from launch get another AAA PS5 exclusive Ratchet and Clank. Not a whole lot to complain about there right? This was all done during a pandemic and the console sells out within minutes of being restocked everywhere. We get a preview of Horizon FW which looks incredible and people start talking up how powerful the PS5 is. When DF reacts to the video of HFW all the big cheese at DF can seem to talk about is "how is this going to run on the PS4?" and nobody is complaining much about the game being cross gen anymore. Now here we are a week later and two games we already knew were likely to be cross-gen are confirmed to be cross-gen and people start flipping their lids again.

I get it, I always wanted games to move to the new hardware right away but that really makes no sense with the bigger titles and here's why. First of all there are tens of millions of active PS4 users who still won't be able to get their hands on a PS5 until sometime next year, secondly most early gen games don't truly take full advantage of the new hardware anyway because their engines haven't been retooled to take advantage of the new hardware anyway. Anything that is 100% truly built for next gen isn't coming until 3 years or so in anyway, anything in the first two years next gen exclusive or not is more or less a last gen game dressed up.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Is it me or does it feel like all hype and momentum Sony had just vanished? Is that hyperbolic to say, perhaps? Anybody else feel this way?
It's because they are terrible at keeping fans something to look forward to. They don't have any yearly events where we can expect updates or anything. They just do their own sporadic thing whenever they feel like it. And it causes a drift with the audience.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
When these games cost 50+ million to make, youd almost be crazy to ignore 100 mil ps4s. But marketing wise PS5 exclusive would have been stronger for selling PS5 obviously.

Derktron

Banned
tenor.gif
And to think that PlayStation fanboys crapped on Xbox for doing exactly that, yet somehow the crickets are going and nothing is being said. This is why there is still bias in the gaming community

As someone wrote earlier : I have 0 incentive to upgrade from my PS4 pro. So deceptive, cause we won't see any game designed from the ground up for ps5. That was the duty of first party titles...
I just hate the Sony I see since a few months. I'm fed up with their lies.
I may go with switch pro after all, why not ? Never owned a Nintendo console.

twilo99

And to think that PlayStation fanboys crapped on Xbox for doing exactly that, yet somehow the crickets are going and nothing is being said. This is why there is still bias in the gaming community

I never paid attention before, but I've noticed quite a few instances where if the situation was reversed, there will be a huge blowout against xbox, but Sony kind of gets a pass for some reason.. most of the "media" do that as well, not sure why tho. Must be something to do with market share and clicks or whatever.

Like for example if Microsoft said they would offer expandable storage, and 6 months into production they didn't have it, there will be 100s of articles and memes about it lol

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I never paid attention before, but I've noticed quite a few instances where if the situation was reversed, there will be a huge blowout against xbox, but Sony kind of gets a pass for some reason.. most of the "media" do that as well, not sure why tho. Must be something to do with market share and clicks or whatever.

Like for example if Microsoft said they would offer expandable storage, and 6 months into production they didn't have it, there will be 100s of articles and memes about it lol

The Playstation brand has a lot of goodwill. No one likes Microsoft.

Well that tends to happen when you release a lot of high quality and highly rated games over several generations.

Whether it's fair or not Microsoft are judged based on their output. Phil saying nice things and doing pro-consumer stuff can only take Xbox so far in the eyes of many. They need to start delivering amazing games to get people to stop being hypercritical of them.

It's the same way Nintendo gets a free pass for almost anything they do, they deliver incredible games. There's no hidden agenda in the gaming media against Microsoft. I can guarantee you when they start delivering GOTY caliber games all this negative talk surrounding Xbox will fade away.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

Hulst may be earnest with the whole "we’ll continue looking at that" line. GT7 may have been planned as an exclusive next-gen project (God of War never had any wording to it besides "Ragnarok is coming", so we never knew firmly if it was or wasn't PS5-exclusive,) but as the year went on, a PS4 version became either still-possible or a necessary commitment to producing a port-down somehow.

It's egg on Sony's face as far as PR goes, they deserve that hit. But when we start talking about the facts, we have relatively few answers as to what's been going on with any of these projects over the past year.
I hear you. It was all assumptions from the start with no concrete details that were ever given.

But I do think it’s a bad PR move if GoW and GT7 were known by Sony to be crossgen back when they disclosed that Horizon: FW was. That would have been the time to list all of their crossgen games. Otherwise, if they chose to inform the public about Horizon II but left out GoW and GT7, it’s logical to assume the latter two were next-gen only.

If it’s like you said possibly something they figured out later on in the development process that it can come to PS4 as well, or get a future down-port, then it’s understandable that the information was given just now.

Last edited:

HurtGravy

Neo Member
As long as PS5 is the focus of development that makes sense. Make the game for the PS5 and pare it back to work with PS4. Works for PC.
And don't forget Xbox series x. Isnt it funny how the SDF ripped into xbox saying next gen was being held back by having game cross gen. Now Sony decide scrap their " we believe in generations " plans and go cross gen it a all ok.

It will all be ok in the end don't you worry, when they release the gow ragnarok ultimate edition on pc 6 months later LMAO.

Mr Moose

After watching Horizon Forbidden west, I'm not even worried a single bit.

watching arnold schwarzenegger GIF
I agree it looks great, we will get great looking cross-gen games on both PS and Xbox consoles, the problem is that cross-gen games are constricted by last gen, they are absolutely being held back, especially by the CPU and HDDs.

And don't forget Xbox series x. Isnt it funny how the SDF ripped into xbox saying next gen was being held back by having game cross gen. Now Sony decide scrap their " we believe in generations " plans and go cross gen it a all ok.

It will all be ok in the end don't you worry, when they release the gow ragnarok ultimate edition on pc 6 months later LMAO.
No, just you and others couldn't read.
Like seriously? Get glasses, people, it's not fucking hard.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Holy shit, gt7 on my ps4 pro? Fantastic! Love the gt brand of career building, almost bought a new ps3 because missed gt 6 so much

Xbox fans will still get that thrill one day, they arent even getting cross gen games so far.

Personally I'd rather have Game Pass than all of the 1st party PS5 games so far (cross gen or not). So I don't think either side has many "next-gen" games right now, even if Playstation has more games only on PS5

It will, when there are only next gen games.
Until then it will be Xbox One.

Nah, GPU scales much easier than CPU heavy stuff, or having an SSD. I doubt the Series S will have any real effect on limiting next gen games

Msamy

I really hate this news but after I saw hfw gameplay and it looks better than ratchet and clank ,I can't thinking

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

No kidding.

On the plus side, you wont hear any Sony fans bring up cross gen lowest common denominator anymore.

Similar to E3 2013. The second Sony announced MP gaming requires PS+ sub fees, I never saw any PS fan bring up Xbox MP Gold fees ever again.

Mr Moose

Personally I'd rather have Game Pass than all of the 1st party PS5 games so far (cross gen or not). So I don't think either side has many "next-gen" games right now, even if Playstation has more games only on PS5

Nah, GPU scales much easier than CPU heavy stuff, or having an SSD. I doubt the Series S will have any real effect on limiting next gen games
I agree (at least compared to last gen), that's why I've been talking shit about last gen CPUs and HDDS (not the GPUs).

Last edited:

Zannrebel

Has this been confirmed anywhere? I mean I understand people being mad about crossgen but there's no need to pull stuff from our asses here.

There's no reason why GT7 on the PS5 can't have day/night cycles and weather exclusive to it as a "next gen" feature.
If they want cross play with both versions those features might likely have to be cut

e&e

Banned
Why do people discredit being able to play a game like Spiderman MM in 60 fps with some raytracing to be something that no one cares about? The game also loads in like 2 seconds. The game is miles (pun intended) better on the PS5 then compared to the PS4 version.

That does matter too!
Not $400 matter for me sorry meh...

skneogaf

I wish I had screenshots of the fanatics that were saying otherwise but it is what it is.

Good for the millions that can't even buy a ps5 due to low stock.

Mr Moose

Do you not know how to read? It has the exact same CPU and SAME SPEED SSD as the Series X.
Do you?

Here are the key Xbox Series S specs you need to know:
  • PROCESSOR. CPU. 8X Cores @ 3.8 GHz (3.66 GHz w/SMT) Custom Zen 2 CPU.
    CPU: Eight-core 3.6GHz (3.4GHz with SMT) custom AMD 7nm.
    Guess which is the series S?
I also mentioned the size of the SSD, not the speed, so do you agree or not?

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't believe for a second that Ratchet & Clank, the most next gen looking game showed so far, is going from starting development mid-2019 to launching mid-2021. Unless the game is a 6 hour tech demo there is no fucking way.

It was confirmed by jstevensen that ratchet started in 2019. As I had heard when I was with reset that it started much earlier. I was corrected by jstevensen who works for insomniac.

They made 2016 ratchet in 10 months.

They are sony's most effecient studio second to naughty dog. But even now I have to give it to insomniac.

Clover904

I think we can all agree that what we've seen thus far in Horizon Forbidden West looks spectacular. That gameplay has single handedly showed me that not all cross-gen created games are not created equal. Sony will push the teams behind Gran Turismo and God of War to not allow their PS5 versions of the game to be bogged down by last gen technology. This does mean that we may have to wait a liitle longer to see what this generation is truly capable of.

I just got paged by Jim Ryan, he told me to let you guys know a definitive version of Ratchet and Clank will release on PS4 with Raytracing turned off and an unprecedented frame rate at a solid 30fps.
It can't be a definitive version if it's capped to 30fps with RT Off and loading levels "instantly" in 5 minutes

Tell your "Jim Ryan" he's a fraud 😂

Last edited:
Top Bottom