• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Santa Monica Studio Rumored To Be Working On A New God Of War “Half-Sequel”

Varteras

Gold Member
I said it before and I'll say it again. There needs to be an off-screen sex minigame where Angrboda finds out why they call Atreus "The Other World Serpent". In fact, that's what they should call the hidden trophy.

For the sake of clarity and to not seem like a bigger creep than I am, I would assume both are older in this supposed game.

Ozzie666

Lost Legacy was really good and hit that nice sweet spot. Miles was fine but maybe not for a launch title.

Where is our Abby game.

Flutta

Banned
Prob a DLC made for Atreus. Hard pass if so. Also hated that section of the game and everything about that annoying brat. Nothing in GOWR felt like GOW to me. Better get back to your roots or i’m done with this series.

Last edited:
Lost Legacy was really good and hit that nice sweet spot. Miles was fine but maybe not for a launch title.

Where is our Abby game.
What did you like about Lost Legacy? It is such a forgettable experience for me. Uncharted 4 was far better imo.

Last of us 1 is your Abby game. Naughty Dog was not really subtle with their parallels.

Last edited:

Fredrik

PLEASE let me play as Thor.
A prequel with Thor as main character would’ve been perfect, he was cooler than old man Kratos anyway, they could even add his daughter to the mix if they want to do the father and child parental thing again, and his wife was hot so include her too.

But this will likely be about Loki and Angrboda and I’ll gladly skip it.

Ozzie666

What did you like about Lost Legacy? It is such a forgettable experience for me. Uncharted 4 was far better imo.

Last of us 1 is your Abby game. Naughty Dog was not really subtle with their parallels.

Honestly, I totally agree UC 4 was far better game. But I do like the character of Chloe and enjoyed my time with Lost Legacy. I am fine with micro sized games, if the developers can still work on bigger projects. These smaller titles can fill in some develpoment gaps. Just as long as it's not an either or choice

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Just call it dlc or expansion. Why invent new buzzwords for already established things. Gta Lost &Damned, Gay Tony, Rdr Undead Nightmare, W3 Blood & Wine are all dlc’s and I doubt this will be any different.

Cool, then I expect it to be "half" price 👌 Anyway, day 1 on anything SSM does though I don't care much for Atreus (pretty sure focus will be on him). I still want an Egyptian prequel before Kratos was neutered by fatherhood, give me unbridled rage and bloodshed.

[Sigma]

I probably won't even buy the next God of War game at this point. I'm pretty much done with this franchise with the way it is now.

Xtib81

Hopefully it doesn't take too many ressources from the studio. The sooner they focus 100% on the next Gow in Egypt, the better.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Half-Sequel is the dumbest thing ive ever heard of.

Just call it what it has always been called : Standalone Expansion Pack.

Sounds good to me. I think that's a strong pattern to have.

Full blown high budget AAA game.
Followed by AAA game with a smaller scope.
All while the new IP is in development and staff can be switched to the bigger project.
The next GOW will also be in pre-production.

Decent cadence. Means we'll get more than one game per gen out of the bigger studios now.

I'd still like each studio to make a few AA or indie-inspired games too

Hoppa

Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

I’m bored, are we getting new IP this gen or what

FingerBang

I'll take it. I want to believe it won't be a long Atreus section, even if it stars him instead of Kratos.

Loved Ragnarok

Thirty7ven

Banned
When Lost Legacy turned out to be a banger it looked like this was the future, then when Miles Morales became a mega hit it seemed inevitable.

Sony loves to miss its own boat.

zeldaring

Banned
This exactly reason why I cant get myself to replay Ragnarök and for some reason Atreus got much, MUCH dumber compare to 2018 game.

If it was Kratos from pervious game, he would have killed Atreus by now.
I did 98%of GOW: ragnorak the biggest reason i can't replay is the level designed to block you and waste time, and make you do silly puzzles or go around something. plus atreus was annoying. It's annoying how bad ass characters in gaming are being wiped out. Sony killed joel and now they wanna make kratos soft.

Totally unexpected

Just call it dlc or expansion. Why invent new buzzwords for already established things. Gta Lost &Damned, Gay Tony, Rdr Undead Nightmare, W3 Blood & Wine are all dlc’s and I doubt this will be any different.
DLC's are 10-20€ normally, expansions can go up to 30-40€.

A half-sequel? Easily 50-60€

You'd be a terrible executive man

Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

I’m bored, are we getting new IP this gen or what

?? Sony announced two just a few months ago, Fairgame$ and Concord

Really hope it's not with Angroboda and Athreus; I don't like Thor either.
Ragnarok already feels like DLC, and they've visited most of the Nordic myth worlds.

Luipadre

Jesus christ are all sony studios creatively bunkrupt now? ND stuck with last of us and more gow from ssm? I loved 2018 gow, ragnarok was great, but im kinda over kratos and gow now

MagnesD3

Same. Everyone hates this fucking game it seems, how the hell did it sell / review so well.

I do remember quite a bit of 2018 God Of War tho, fond memories too
Its very LCD appealing, look my teenage son is rebellious too I relate to this :S

Mowcno

I think games are sometimes too ambitious for their own good these days. The good old days when we got multiple titles in a franchise in the same generation are mostly gone. 10 Years since GTA V, 11 years since Dragon Age Inquisition, 12 years since Skyrim. Development and probably consumer expectations too needs to be reigned in.

Kerotan

You guys will never give up on the idea that Angrboda is from Egypt or Africa, when the sad reality that Sony Santa Monica wanted to blackwash characters for the sake of virtue signalling.
It's just an Idea pal and it will be confirmed or not when the next game is released. I don't care either way, not losing any sleep over it.

Half sequel is not a flattering name, they shouldn’t let it catch on.

‘Side sequel’ is better. MM and LL were great. I’ll take all the side sequels.

Fake

Good luck trying to push this franchise without Kratos.

There is only one god of war.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I think "Half-sequel" is silly. It just sounds like AAA market forgot you can have shorter experiences or re-used assets to help development rather than corner yourself into bigger is better, even Expansion is losing its meaning on this side. Sadly, on the creative side, it's just not that interesting either as it feels like how movies are in what they ship.

Top Bottom