• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sequel and Gran Turismo 7 are Cross Generation Titles

e&e

Banned
Anyone remember this article?

Can someone find the thread please so I can look through it again?

Mr Moose

This is exactly what I was warning about last year and everyone was leaving LOL reactions to my post for being chicken little. Multiplat development indicates a shift in strategy that will eventually hurt games. We have already seen this with MLB The Show getting zero next gen upgrades despite launching six months after release, despite being a first party title because they had to shift resources to make 4 xbox versions. GG devs spent six months patching up the PC version. Who is to say that it didnt cause a delay?

Those two things would not have happened if Sony didnt chase money over quality. I remember Shawn Layden saying that Bloodborne didnt do amazing sales but that was never the point. The point was to give PS4 owners an experience you couldnt have on the PS3. To reward their $400 purchase with quality exclusives instead of taking them for granted and chasing PS4, Xbox and PC users.

It's a complete shift in strategy that has already turned them into multiplatform publishers like EA, Ubisoft and Activision. They are literally opening up mobile studios and looking into creating F2P GaaS games according to the leaked sony investor presentation.
They need to leave the official MLB licence behind and do their own shit like PES.
No one will step in and make a game next year quick enough without them.

Paid for by MicroSoft :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

Zones

Are you high? Of course it makes a difference whether it’s first party or not.

First party games are meant to be bespoke for the new console. They’re meant to be showcases designed to take advantage of the latest tech. They’re meant to sell the console to people.

What the fuck is the point in buying a new console, if even the people who made it aren’t trying to use its full potential?

Also, I never thought RE8 would be next gen only. I don’t think anybody really did, did they?
No it doesn't matter if it's first or third party if you actually want the industry to progress forward.

You said cross gen by itself is not an issue but Sony's messaging is, and yet at the same time you and everyone else give Capcom a pass for doing the same exact thing as Sony.

Just so you know, RDR2 is more advanced in certain areas than any Sony's first-party title on PS4, and to me it doesn't matter that it's not a first-party game that's taking advantage of certain aspect of the system as long as I get those high tech games from devs.

Oh and why did you expect RE8 to be cross gen but somehow after Horizon and Miles you thought GoW won't be? Did you not see the obvious precedent set by Sony that all the BIG first-party titles will be cross gen until PS5's install base becomes big enough for these AAA games to sell a lot on PS5 alone?

Stooky

Fine? Sure. Next gen? Nope. Why did Sony even release a ps5? Why not stay with ps4 for another 3 years? And no they don't 'need' ccross platform games. They have never really done cross platform first party games in any real capacity.
It will be next gen enough for that I will enjoy playing the Ps5 version over the Ps4 version. Also I dont know why you think with the development time that they would drastically over hall the gameplay mechanic just for nextgen. Remember this game is a sequel its going to carry over characteristics from previous the PS4 game.

SomeGit

I think people will be massively disappointed by next gen, because they seem to think that any roadblock like cross-gen, lack of GPUs stock, XSS, the Switch, etc. is an anchor that is stopping this rocket of a next gen revolution from exploding and showering you with a amazing never before seen experience that can't be rivaled in this world.

Yes, Jaguar CPUs are slow, yes HDDs are slow, yes 2012 GPU have shown their age for quite sometime; but next gen games won't be fundamentally different for quite some time. The first few years of a generation are always like this, last-gen but better looking or with better performance. It's been that way for quite a few generations now.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
No it doesn't matter if it's first or third party if you actually want the industry to progress forward.

You said cross gen by itself is not an issue but Sony's messaging is, and yet at the same time you and everyone else give Capcom a pass for doing the same exact thing as Sony.

Just so you know, RDR2 is more advanced in certain areas than any Sony's first-party title on PS4, and to me it doesn't matter that it's not a first-party game that's taking advantage of certain aspect of the system as long as I get those high tech games from devs.

Oh and why did you expect RE8 to be cross gen but somehow after Horizon and Miles you thought GoW won't be? Did you not see the obvious precedent set by Sony that all the BIG first-party titles will be cross gen until PS5's install base becomes big enough for these AAA games to sell a lot on PS5 alone?

Is your argument that it’s okay for Sony to pull this shit, because Capcom also did it with RE8?

And Miles was a launch game. GoW is not.

I was super disappointed to hear Horizon was cross gen, but this latest announcement about God Of War has just made it a lot worse.

Yes, it was also wrong of Capcom to push Village as next gen only (I don’t remember that myself, but I’ll take your word for it)

...but that’s a little different from the biggest video games hardware maker in the world doing the same thing, wouldn’t you say? Given their vested interest in selling Ps5’s?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They need to leave the official MLB licence behind and do their own shit like PES.
No one will step in and make a game next year quick enough without them.
They need to but they wont. Everyone was telling us that sony was forced to do it but in their investor presentation they were boasting about how they sold the most copies ever and won NPD for the month of April.

They love it. I kept telling you all that you cant just force someone to port a game. Sony wants this. There is a reason Herman Hurst is the one breaking all this bad news every few months. That's why Shu was replaced. He is part of the old guard who did things differently. There is no other reason to replace Shu. He oversaw a period where Sony WW studios and partners won 5 GOTY awards in 8 years. And they just unceremoniously ship him away to indie games? I thought Japan had honor lmao. What was that meme? honor and shame! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nah, They are just as cutthroat as Wallstreet corpos now. They want profits over quality and MLB 21 is the perfect example of that.

DeepSpace5D

To be fair though, in the first ~6 months PS5 owners have gotten Astro’s playroom, Demon’s Souls, Returnal, and Ratchet & Clank in little over a week as next-gen only experiences. Still plenty to offer in that regard in my opinion.

It seems that the real heavy hitters are crossgen though.

Last edited:
No Night / Day on GT7, no wheater too.
Just a GTSport 1.5
Thanks cross-gen...
Has this been confirmed anywhere? I mean I understand people being mad about crossgen but there's no need to pull stuff from our asses here.

There's no reason why GT7 on the PS5 can't have day/night cycles and weather exclusive to it as a "next gen" feature.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
4D4ywPB.jpg
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Don't care if its even on ps3 , from what I saw and played it didn't matter which console the game on. We played GOW on PS4 and we know how incredible is the game so I'm just ready for what Sony Studios bringing to us.

For fans who cry everytime they see PS4 next to PS5 , nobody smack you on the hand to buy a PS5! You all know that for at least two to three years PS4 version will be there.

Zones

This is exactly what I was warning about last year and everyone was leaving LOL reactions to my post for being chicken little. Multiplat development indicates a shift in strategy that will eventually hurt games. We have already seen this with MLB The Show getting zero next gen upgrades despite launching six months after release, despite being a first party title because they had to shift resources to make 4 xbox versions. GG devs spent six months patching up the PC version. Who is to say that it didnt cause a delay?

Those two things would not have happened if Sony didnt chase money over quality. I remember Shawn Layden saying that Bloodborne didnt do amazing sales but that was never the point. The point was to give PS4 owners an experience you couldnt have on the PS3. To reward their $400 purchase with quality exclusives instead of taking them for granted and chasing PS4, Xbox and PC users.

It's a complete shift in strategy that has already turned them into multiplatform publishers like EA, Ubisoft and Activision. They are literally opening up mobile studios and looking into creating F2P GaaS games according to the leaked sony investor presentation.
I think you're mistaking Bloodborne with... Vib Ribbon. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

I would love to be corrected if you're referring to something else.

By the way, the whole transitioning to PC happened during the Shawn Layden days...

In an interview, Shawn Layden, chairman of Sony’s game studios worldwide, said exclusive titles will still be a part of the company’s strategy, but that some games -- particularly multiplayer titles designed to be played on personal computers -- may see broader distribution.

“We must support the PlayStation platform -- that is nonnegotiable,” Layden said. “That said, you will see in the future some titles coming out of my collection of studios which may need to lean into a wider installed base.”

Mr Moose

To be fair though, in the first ~6 months PS5 owners have gotten Astro’s playroom, Demon’s Souls, Returnal, and Ratchet & Clank in little over a week as next-gen only experiences. Still plenty to offer in that regard in my opinion.

And Destruction AllStars but that isn't really a good game (I didn't bother playing it).
Don't tell THEAP99 though, his list of 3 games that aren't out yet will collapse.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GoW was revealed the same day Jim Ryan went out and said Miles and Horizon were PS4 games. GT7 was revealed six months before that. I dont think thats very honest.

It's like going on a first date and informing your date that you had covid and took the covid vaccine. Then 6 months later you tell them you have herpes and HIV as well. That's not very honest.

I don't think comparing a girlfriend or someone you are dating to a corporation. They don't have to tell us many things, until they feel it's a good time to say so. I think the understanding between two people dating is different.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I think you're mistaking Bloodborne with... Vib Ribbon. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

I would love to be corrected if you're referring to something else.

By the way, the whole transitioning to PC happened during the Shawn Layden days...

In an interview, Shawn Layden, chairman of Sony’s game studios worldwide, said exclusive titles will still be a part of the company’s strategy, but that some games -- particularly multiplayer titles designed to be played on personal computers -- may see broader distribution.

“We must support the PlayStation platform -- that is nonnegotiable,” Layden said. “That said, you will see in the future some titles coming out of my collection of studios which may need to lean into a wider installed base.”

He was talking about Predator.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Why do people discredit being able to play a game like Spiderman MM in 60 fps with some raytracing to be something that no one cares about? The game also loads in like 2 seconds. The game is miles (pun intended) better on the PS5 then compared to the PS4 version.

That does matter too!

Boneless

When you hear your neighbour’s PS4 taking off with GoW2 in the disc drive you’ll be driving him down to Walmart yourself to pick up a couple of PS5s.

There is no way they are risking bad performance with this. It will be built for PS4, with better options for PS5, like we had with PS4 Pro.

Yes, to an extent. But knowing the tools/engines that are running on a x86 dev kit and then building the game with that because at the time of starting the next project or continuing to the sequel its what you have at the time. So again games that started 2017,2018,2019 will be mostly cross gen.

Ratchet is one of the games that started mid-late 2019 and by that time they had early devkits. Anything before that would have started on devkits that targeted PS4. Anything Bend, Naughty dog, suckerpunch have been working on forward are PS5 only titles.
I don't believe for a second that Ratchet & Clank, the most next gen looking game showed so far, is going from starting development mid-2019 to launching mid-2021. Unless the game is a 6 hour tech demo there is no fucking way.

Stooky

So, the bottleneck created by the PS4 HDD and the weak GPU that games have to run on won’t be issues at all?

...if Xbox Series X games will be hamstrung by having to run on last gen hardware, then exactly the same is true for Ps5.

Same shit, different companies.
God of war didnt have loading screens , besides from the first initial load. With PS5 the initial will be drastically cut down. The game won't be ham strung because the gameplay is PS4 , its a sequel, there aren't going to redo their entire design for what is maybe a 3 year dev cycle. Comparing it to Xbox situation is BS.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

Why do people discredit being able to play a game like Spiderman MM in 60 fps with some raytracing to be something that no one cares about? The game also loads in like 2 seconds. The game is miles (pun intended) better on the PS5 then compared to the PS4 version.

That does matter too!
Of course, even with crossgen games the PS5 version is clearly going to be superior. But for some people that’s not necessarily enough to go out and make a PS5 purchase yet.

My point was that there are next-gen only games out right now, despite these recent crossgen announcements.

CamHostage

The main problem I have with this is it should have been announced at the same time as Horizon: FW if so.

Hulst may be earnest with the whole "we’ll continue looking at that" line. GT7 may have been planned as an exclusive next-gen project (God of War never had any wording to it besides "Ragnarok is coming", so we never knew firmly if it was or wasn't PS5-exclusive,) but as the year went on, a PS4 version became either still-possible or a necessary commitment to producing a port-down somehow.

It's egg on Sony's face as far as PR goes, they deserve that hit. But when we start talking about the facts, we have relatively few answers as to what's been going on with any of these projects over the past year.

Last edited:

Zones

Is your argument that it’s okay for Sony to pull this shit, because Capcom also did it with RE8?

And Miles was a launch game. GoW is not.

I was super disappointed to hear Horizon was cross gen, but this latest announcement about God Of War has just made it a lot worse.

Yes, it was also wrong of Capcom to push Village as next gen only (I don’t remember that myself, but I’ll take your word for it)

...but that’s a little different from the biggest video games hardware maker in the world doing the same thing, wouldn’t you say? Given their vested interest in selling Ps5’s?
Last I checked, PS5s don't last more than a few minutes before selling out, and that's exactly why Sony isn't willing to lose potentially hundreds of millions in revenue from the PS4 user base just to appease console warriors on the internet who are more interested in list wars and whatnot.

For your information, Sony expects more PS5s being sold in the next fiscal year compared to any other year within their entire history. So if they fail at that by a great margin, then maybe you were right and they should have stopped with the cross gen titles, but until then, why not give them the benefit of the doubt?

You have to decouple your own selfish desires with the realities of the world, and in that world, having God of War sell a few extra million units is more important to Sony's overall strategy compared to a few forum goers being upset about this.

I will withhold judgment about the next GoW's supposed limitations due to PS4 just as I did with Horizon Forbidden West. HFW looks to be a sublime game, so while I selfishly might have liked a full next gen title, I am still super excited about what was shown a few days ago, so my last words to you is wait for the games and see if they deliver or not before getting yourself all worked up over a business decision that might not really result in anything substantially negative towards those games.

yurinka

You're missing the point. Xbox had the same messaging, the new Xbox Series X also supports cool new features like Quick Resume, Optimized loading and updates visuals and 120FPS games, in addition to also supporting Xbox One, Xbox One X and Series S. People were disappointed when MS said they will continue to support the previous gen and at the same time interviewed Sony and specifically asked if they were moving on to PS5 or if they would also employ the same strategy as Xbox.

Answering "We believe in generations" is an evasion tactic that

bit
them
in
the
vap0yiQ.gif
The problem is the 'journalist' who cut the sentence and put it as the title of the interview, plus included his own (wrong) assumptions in the text. If you read the complete interview focusing on what Jimbo says, he's very clear and honest, and what he says it's what they are doing: he mentions they will still support PS4 for several years and at the same time wants to see the devs using the new features that are next gen only. Which is compatible with making some crossgen games that use these features only on PS5 and other next gen only games that take more advantage of the next gen stuff.

Then many people took the title and the assumptions of the journalist and put them even more outside of content, as can be seen in this thread. Unlike MS, Sony is releasing PS5 only games. Unlike MS counting Ratchet they released like half a dozen next gen only games in the first half a year.

People is acting as if Sony wasn't releasing PS5 only games and as if they would have said they weren't going to release crossgen games. And both things are false.

The problem is the 'journalist' who cut the sentence and put it as the title of the interview, plus included his own (wrong) assumptions in the text. If you read the complete interview focusing on what Jimbo says, he's very clear and honest, and what he says it's what they are doing: he mentions they will still support PS4 for several years and at the same time wants to see the devs using the new features that are next gen only. Which is compatible with making some crossgen games that use these features only on PS5 and other next gen only games that take more advantage of the next gen stuff.

Then many people took the title and the assumptions of the journalist and put them even more outside of content, as can be seen in this thread. Unlike MS, Sony is releasing PS5 only games. Unlike MS counting Ratchet they released like half a dozen next gen only games in the first half a year.

People is acting as if Sony wasn't releasing PS5 only games and as if they would have said they weren't going to release crossgen games. And both things are false.
This is the result of clickbait journalism. People only read the bullshit headlines and then run with it. When things don't work out like they imagined they carry their pitchforks and run to Twitter.

The gaming community nowadays as well as gaming journalism are a joke. I miss the days when we had real journalism in gaming.

Is it me or does it feel like all hype and momentum Sony had just vanished? Is that hyperbolic to say, perhaps? Anybody else feel this way?
It's just you. I heard people saying this back in April until they saw Ratchet and Clank and the internet exploded.

This shit goes in cycles. Sony drops some disappointing news, the internet goes wild with hyperboles until they drop a new trailer or new event announcement and we are back on the hype train again.

Sony has the whole gaming community hooked like crack addicts and they know it. We want to quit the lifestyle but as soon as they show us something to wet our appetites again we come rushing back for the fix.

😂 Gaming community's relationship with Sony in gif form:
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Top Bottom