• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War TV Series - Amazon Prime

JaksGhost

He made a fair comparison. In 2013 MS Made Xbox Studios to produce movies and TV shows. Phil killed that fast when he took over. All these new PlayStation shows and movies (Uncharted, TLOU, Twisted Metal, GOW) are from a similar division Sony created to be like Marvel Studios and make movies and TV shows based on their games. If you saw Uncharted in theaters you saw their fancy animated logo.
One company is in the TV/Movie business and wants to leverage their IP while another one is a technology company trying to branch out into TV and Movie. Not the same thing.

WoJ

Am I alone in that I have zero desire to see video games adapted to TV and movies? Even taking Hollywood's shitty wokeness out of the equation, games are games for a reason. I don't want or need then adapted to the screen.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Boy!

go-for-it-homelander.gif

lachesis

My guess is that they are trying to become the next Disney with their Playstation IPs, looking for the synergy effect - the popularity of game feeds into the movie/TV series, then it feeds right back to the game, vice versa. At some point, there maybe even some sort of cross overs between franchises like some loose MCU...- and I won't be surprised to see Gran Turismo being one of them too.

As a gamer, it's not something that I'm too keen of, having seen many failures than absolute successes of those adaptations - but I'm sure Sony's trying to come with some sort of fail proof formula like Disney. Perhaps Uncharted movie, was a good example of it.

I do however wish to see an Anime adaptation of Gravity Rush, by Mamoru Hosoda. (Think he's the best fit for it)... That would be real nice, but I don't think Sony will ever do it though. :(

Ezquimacore

Banned
Playstation games are good because they feel like a Hollywood interactive experience, all these Playstation movies are trash because they feel like a low budget movie trying to imitate the gaming cinematic experience. People gonna see how corny a live action the last of us will be.

Last edited:
My guess is that they are trying to become the next Disney with their Playstation IPs, looking for the synergy effect - the popularity of game feeds into the movie/TV series, then it feeds right back to the game, vice versa. At some point, there maybe even some sort of cross overs between franchises like some loose MCU...- and I won't be surprised to see Gran Turismo being one of them too.

As a gamer, it's not something that I'm too keen of, having seen many failures than absolute successes of those adaptations - but I'm sure Sony's trying to come with some sort of fail proof formula like Disney. Perhaps Uncharted movie, was a good example of it.

I do however wish to see an Anime adaptation of Gravity Rush, by Mamoru Hosoda. (Think he's the best fit for it)... That would be real nice, but I don't think Sony will ever do it though. :(
I agree with your first statement.

Sony realizes that if PlayStation Productions can be even 25% as profitable as Marvel Studios that it'll be big for their company.

The problem is Sony hasn't cultivated franchises for long enough. You compare Microsoft and Sony, and at least Microsoft has cultivated Halo nonstop since 2000.

How many PS1 franchises has Sony maintained?

The reason why Marvel is as successful as they are is that their IP and brand have been established over decades and unlike Sony, they don't have a centralized universe of games. We won't see much in terms of cross-over because it simply isn't very plausible.

I think the Uncharted movie is proof that Sony is still in its infancy here when it comes to making these films. I think Twisted Metal going to peacock confirms that as well. I think the casting in the Last of Us on HBO also confirms that.

Right now Sony feels like early 2000s Marvel via Fox and Universal, they have to step things up.

They're not going to make it violent or bloody enough.
Pass.

What? Probably the opposite. OTT gratuitous violence is my fear, like in Game of Thrones, which basically gave a green light to horrific violence for mainstream audiences thereafter.

Also Amazon look like they have royally fucked up LotR with the senseless and out of place casting.

Sony are really jumping the gun on these shows and movies. They should probably wait to see how Ragnorok performs based on the performance of TLOU2, HFW, and GT7.
The last God Of War game has been a monumental success on both console and PC. What more incentive do they need to expand the IP to other entertainent mediums?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Reason 1: The Xbox One was made to connect to your TiVO or Cable box. Yes........I said "cable box". Looking back on how TV has moved away from those traditional sources, it was a huge failure of MS to want to do that. I can keep going on and on.....

Amiga

hardly liked any game adaptation. Movies/TV are step down from gaming as a creative platform. there is always something that goes missing.

JaksGhost

I agree with your first statement.

Sony realizes that if PlayStation Productions can be even 25% as profitable as Marvel Studios that it'll be big for their company.

The problem is Sony hasn't cultivated franchises for long enough. You compare Microsoft and Sony, and at least Microsoft has cultivated Halo nonstop since 2000.

How many PS1 franchises has Sony maintained?

The reason why Marvel is as successful as they are is that their IP and brand have been established over decades and unlike Sony, they don't have a centralized universe of games. We won't see much in terms of cross-over because it simply isn't very plausible.

I think the Uncharted movie is proof that Sony is still in its infancy here when it comes to making these films. I think Twisted Metal going to peacock confirms that as well. I think the casting in the Last of Us on HBO also confirms that.

Right now Sony feels like early 2000s Marvel via Fox and Universal, they have to step things up.
They've released one project under the new division and it's a box office success even without China. Where's the proof that it's still in it's infancy besides only a single project being released to date? A lot of these opinions are straight old men yelling at clouds behavior.

Last edited:
They've released one project under the new division and it's a box office success even without China. Where's the proof that it's still in it's infancy besides only a single project being released to date? A lot of these opinions are straight old men yelling at clouds behavior.
Sometimes the old men are right and the clouds are actually the shallow, empty, vapid piles of shit they say they are. Being a box office success doesn't take much these days, and is certainly not indicative of quality.

Hezekiah

Banned
Tis could be awesome if Amazon put a big budget behind it and hire some top writers.

Makes more sense to be a show than a movie too.

While the movie has performed okay, it wasn't a box office hit domestically. It was also reviewed very poorly. Given that you can't count on Chinese releases these days, had Uncharted not received a Chinese release it would have barely outperformed its production and marketing budgets, which isn't a great start to a franchise.

They were shopping around Twisted Metal and none of the big players bought it, that isn't indicative of quality.

The casting of Bella Ramsey as Elle is ultimately going to be hit or miss with a strong chance of it being a miss.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I know norse god of war is the new hotness. I wonder if they are going to ignore the greece stuff and go right to norse, with maybe some flash backs
I don’t think they can skip Greece, there’s too much story to be told. The audience wouldn’t know what is going on or why it’s going on, no amount of flashbacks would resolve that issue. Plus, if they want the show to last more than three seasons then starting from the very beginning of Kratos’s story would be the way to go.

Hezekiah

Banned
I know norse god of war is the new hotness. I wonder if they are going to ignore the greece stuff and go right to norse, with maybe some flash backs
That would be a mistake. The story in the first game where Ares gives Kratos the Chains, then manipulates him, and then Kratos takes down Ares is the best one.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just dont assign the same people doing the new Lord of the Rings to God of War. That show is gonna be a ridiculous wokefest.

Peacock bought it, unless you mean they aren’t a big player?

Correct they aren't a big player. There are tiers in streaming.

Tier 1
Netflix, Amazon

Tier 2
Disney+, HBO Max

Tier 3
Peacock, Paramount+, Hulu, Apple*

*I've placed Apple under Tier 3 based on their limited number of subscribers, but their budgets are considerably higher than their peers in tier 3 and they likely will be tier 2 in short order.

Ideally, Sony would want to have something on Netflix or Amazon, which is why this God of War news is so positive for them. They're never going to get anything on Disney unless it is Spider-Man related, but that would come out of Sony Pictures probably rather than PlayStation Productions. So HBO Max is a good alternative for the Last of Us.

Twisted Metal going to Peacock is an absolute failure out of the gates.

Sadly? Nah... not that sad. There's some obvious bets that Sony has done well at - that was not one of them.

As poorly marketed as Wii U.

Shouldn't have used the PlayStation name and the name Vue was a horrible choice as was Vita.

Sony marketing has tanked so many product initiatives.

Kilau

Gold Member
Sadly? Nah... not that sad. There's some obvious bets that Sony has done well at - that was not one of them.
Sadly because it was a great service that helped me convince my wife to finally cancel cable.

The networks just didn’t want to do it and kept pushing shitty deals on Sony so content kept getting removed. It’s interesting to see these networks doing this with YouTube TV but google seems to have a lot more power in this area.

Hezekiah

Banned
What? Probably the opposite. OTT gratuitous violence is my fear, like in Game of Thrones, which basically gave a green light to horrific violence for mainstream audiences thereafter.

Also Amazon look like they have royally fucked up LotR with the senseless and out of place casting.
The violence in the Game of Thrones HBO show wasn't gratuitous or OTT. It reflected the source material, and the world that George R.R. Martin created.

EDMIX

Damn it. Why it must be Amazon?
I hope it is decent enough.

Cause money...

If the won the bid, I trust what they can deliver as they have been more aggressive with trying to get that type of content, look at the Fallout deal the got, shit they bought MGM, if anything look at the films and shows they've been doing.

It being under Amazon is a great thing tbh, this isn't the same Amazon from 8 years ago, what they've been doing to compete with Netflix needs to be factored instead of just past views or something. I trust what they have to bring to that IP if Sony does.

Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami Agreed. Right now I'd say Amazon is bidding the hardest and making the bigger moves to compete with Netflix compared to others, I'd only put Apple slightly higher on your tier, but I believe its spot on.

imho and I don't mean to be rude to those on the thread, but in all honesty, most...just don't know what the fuck they are talking about regarding this subject. As someone that is a massive film lover and pays attention to where all this is going, I do my best not to force my bias on what I like or don't like with a streaming company and just look at the facts of what they've been doing recently

Netflix is the king of spending right now, some of the biggest deals in history all line up with them, like deal after fucking deal. The stories of them legit spending 100 million to get House Of Cards from a single phone call show what they are willing to do to get the best content, thus they are the ones to beat right now. Ryan Murphy, Shonda Rhimes, Dave Chappelle, the list goes on, they are willing to pay WILDLY to get the best writers, directors, studios and you have to beat them in price to get those contracts and take those deals.

Fallout should have fucking shown people that Amazon is NOT just sitting by and playing the same role, something changed and they are bidding more aggressively to get those contracts and something tells me its the budget that is getting those studios to side with them as its a price war at this point (well its always been that lol)

Amazon saving The Expanse and that Tom Clancy deal is what started to change a lot with Amazon.

Then they got the Fallout deal, Bought MGM, now this. I think people need to start really looking at what they are doing instead of this same 2015 logic that doesn't fucking makes sense in 2022 where they are willing to BUY MGM to get James Bond.

Willing to spend over $450 MILLION for a Lord Of The Rings series, I think people need to really, really fucking look at what they are doing with fresh eyes to understand this. I think when they really tried to compete with Netflix in 2015 with The Man In The High Castle, I think they really, really wanted a hit and spent like it and the show not doing well made them feel like it was pointless, years later...clearly something changed and they are competing head on now with these contracts.

So.....I think many of you need to hear this shit, if Elder Scrolls has a show, don't be shocked Amazon and Netflix are fighting it out for that contract.

Netflix budget is like 17 billion, Amazon spent 8 billion on MGM alone likely to get the James Bond IP, people need to get out of their heads that this is 2015 folks, both are competing with massive budgets and playing for keeps.

Last edited:
He made a fair comparison. In 2013 MS Made Xbox Studios to produce movies and TV shows. Phil killed that fast when he took over. All these new PlayStation shows and movies (Uncharted, TLOU, Twisted Metal, GOW) are from a similar division Sony created to be like Marvel Studios and make movies and TV shows based on their games. If you saw Uncharted in theaters you saw their fancy animated logo.
Not even close. Microsoft focused on selling you a console with multimedia capabilities first, rather than a game console. That's why they forced every consumer to have a Kinnect with their console, but they forgot to invest in some new games. Thought they could lean on Halo, Gears and Forza and be enough.

Sony already has multiple new Ips since then, with GOY winners being adapted to the big screen. The situation is in no way the same, but it's funny to see people project the failure of what was Xbox360 on playstation.....I see it still hurts.

Am I alone in that I have zero desire to see video games adapted to TV and movies? Even taking Hollywood's shitty wokeness out of the equation, games are games for a reason. I don't want or need then adapted to the screen.
Then just play the games and ignore the movies?

No one is forcing you guys to watch these movies.

Top Bottom