• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Series Adaptation Hires The Marvels Writer

Draugoth

Gold Member
Tomb-Raider-TV-Series-Taps-The-Marvels-Writer-1024x512.jpg
  • Fleabag creator Phoebe Waller-Bridge will helm Prime Video's Tomb Raider show, which aims to establish a shared universe for a new Tomb Raider movie reboot.
  • Megan McDonnell is part of the writing team, after gaining recognition for her work on WandaVision and The Marvels.
  • Amazon's acquisition of MGM paved the way for Prime Video's new Tomb Raider franchise, but it will be in competition with a planned Netflix animated series set to arrive in 2024.
Per Variety’s report, the Marvel Cinematic Universe scribe has been hired to join the writer’s room for the planned Tomb Raider series adaptation from Fleabag creator Phoebe Waller-Bridge. While the series might still be in its early stages of development — with the plot and other people involved remaining up in the air — McDonnell’s involvement serves as a green light that the studio is planning to move the project forward.

Besides the planned series adaptation, Deadline earlier this year reported that MGM and Amazon Studios are working together for another Tomb Raider film adaptation. However, no further announcements or release dates have been revealed as of the moment.

Jesus fuck. No Time to Die was the worst Bond movie of all time. He was basically feminized and he cried like a bitch and acted like a bitch the entire movie, like literally the opposite of what Bond would ever do.
Bond finally displaying anything other than suave stoicism is the least of that movie’s writing problems. The nonsensical virus and bad guy should be at the top of anyone’s list.

ksdixon

Now a smarter Sony would have spent the money to win MGM's library, especially where media are split up and that would have reunited them. And TR games IP from SE.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
There really isn't that much difference from characters on her previous work, including wandavision and the marvels, and the previous tomb raider games.

StereoVsn

Wandavision was pretty good so I wouldn't write her completely off. Marvels was a mashup of a bunch of characters that screamed design by committee so I really can't blame the writer for not being able to make it coherent.
Personally I thought the premise of Wandavision was shit. The “Hero” essentially trapped and tortured bunch of people because she felt sad and they was basically waved off. Meh.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
and they was basically waved off. Meh.
Waved off? They tried to kill her to stop her alternate reality bubble, and after that Wanda was wanted, so she escapes/hides and the next time we see her she's basically the villain without any real opportunity to go through what happened, and now she's "dead".

Ulysses 31

Waved off? They tried to kill her to stop her alternate reality bubble, and after that Wanda was wanted, so she escapes/hides and the next time we see her she's basically the villain without any real opportunity to go through what happened, and now she's "dead".
In the series it was waved off and in the movie Dr. Strange said she put things right with how she handled that town enslavement... o_O

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
In the series it was waved off and in the movie Dr. Strange said she put things right... o_O
...When?
SWORD literally tries to kill her and the she just straight up escapes, they were never done with her.
Strange's only concern was the darkhold, she "makes it right" by destroying every copy in the multiverse while sacrificing herself doing it.

You're right

247341475_5054035264611344_8347175349881638562_n.jpg
She's number 5.

1. Nonsensical Virus
2. Badly written bad guy
3. Blofeld being wasted
4. Bond’s relationship and “lineage” subplot
5. New 007 being underdeveloped as a character

We’ve seen stories before of how older main characters are feeling beaten down, broken down, emotionally damaged, and done with everything. The moments where Bond showed emotion weren’t as earned as they should have been, which is the critical issue here. That doesn’t equate to bond with emotions = bad, it means the writing itself failed the great acting, cinematography, and music in those scenes.

Ulysses 31

...When?
SWORD literally tries to kill her and the she just straight up escapes, they were never done with her.
Strange's only concern was the darkhold, she "makes it right" by destroying every copy in the multiverse while sacrificing herself doing it.
Ehm at the end where Monica Rambo allows her to fly off after saying she made sacrifices?

The Dr. Strange comment was before he knew she's after America so it refers to how she handled the town situation. Yeah, just letting the people go was enough for him and not hold her accountable for imprisoning and torturing them with her magic. 🤨

Last edited:
Personally I thought the premise of Wandavision was shit. The “Hero” essentially trapped and tortured bunch of people because she felt sad and they was basically waved off. Meh.
This happens so much in superhero cinema, I just expect that 90% of the time super hero writers don’t know how to correctly land the plane and have a good ending, let alone a great one.

Saber

Gold Member
Chessuz, why? The Marvels were terrible.

Guess I can expect "angry to everyone" Lara Croft. In any case I'm already out.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Ehm at the end where Monica Rambo allows her to fly off after saying she made sacrifices?
Spectrum is only an agent of SWORD and she rebelled against the orders that deemed wanda a terrorist, it doesn't matter if she let wanda go, she had no authority, she was still wanted by SWORD.
After the events of wandavision SWORD gets reabsorbed into SHIELD, and spectrum leaves to join SABER instead, we don't know if this happened while wanda was still a fugitive, but she dies before we can find out.
The Dr. Strange comment was before he knew she's after America so it refers to how she handled the town situation. Yeah, just letting the people go was enough for him and not hold her accountable for imprisoning and torturing them with her magic. 🤨
He's just talking to her then as a friend that's showing remorse, but he also immediately says he's not there to talk about that situation, his concern lies elsewhere as it always does; he's not a cop or whatever lol, he only gives a shit about things that destroy the universe.

Ulysses 31

Spectrum is only an agent of SWORD and she rebelled against the orders that deemed wanda a terrorist, it doesn't matter if she let wanda go, she had no authority, she was still wanted by SWORD.
After the events of wandavision SWORD gets reabsorbed into SHIELD, and spectrum leaves to join SABER instead, we don't know if this happened while wanda was still a fugitive, but she dies before we can find out.
Never said it had to just had to be her to stop Wanda but in the universe, no one bothers to get help from other powerful magic users(Dr. Strange, Wong) or even Avengers to help deal with Wanda while she's holding the town hostage.

And we both know Wanda is not really dead. :messenger_winking_tongue:
He's just talking to her then as a friend that's showing remorse, but he also immediately says he's not there to talk about that situation, his concern lies elsewhere as it always does; he's not a cop or whatever lol, he only gives a shit about things that destroy the universe.
Dr. Strange was informed about what happened at that town but Multiverse of Madness is the first time he talks to her again. So he didn't really seem to care to visit her till he needed her help with something else.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yes, Killing Eve too. I've only seen season 1 of Killing Eve and can't account for the whole series but I enjoyed what I watched of it so far.
I’ve heard that too. Wonder if the marvels is one of those shows that got killed on the editing floor and not any single person’s fault. People seem to say it’s missing “something”. Maybe? I haven’t seen it and have no interest in it so I’ll never know…

I’ve heard that too. Wonder if the marvels is one of those shows that got killed on the editing floor and not any single person’s fault. People seem to say it’s missing “something”. Maybe? I haven’t seen it and have no interest in it so I’ll never know…
I'll watch it once it hits streaming, and that's mainly because I can predict that years from now Marvel will turn things back around and I don't want to be behind narratively when that upswing happens.

From all of the reports it sounds just like you've stated: a ton of rewrites, edits, and reshoots, and all of this was sloppily done to where people can tell stuff is missing.

Ulysses 31

I'll watch it once it hits streaming, and that's mainly because I can predict that years from now Marvel will turn things back around and I don't want to be behind narratively when that upswing happens.

From all of the reports it sounds just like you've stated: a ton of rewrites, edits, and reshoots, and all of this was sloppily done to where people can tell stuff is missing.
It's more likely Marvel will try to reboot the universe rather than keep making movies connected to phase 4 and up.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
no one bothers to get help from other powerful magic users(Dr. Strange, Wong) or even Avengers to help deal with Wanda while she's holding the town hostage.
No one knows while it's happening, the reason SWORD gets absorbed is because of corruption and they had their own nefarious plans for Vision, it wasn't really in their best interest if Fury/Avengers got involved.
So he didn't really seem to care to visit her till he needed her help with something else.
Yes exactly, he doesn't care because he just views her has a friend that's remorseful, so she's not a threat to him, this immediately changes when he does visit her and he finds out it's all been a ruse and she's about to do shit that's waaaay worse than the westview incident and promptly treats her as hostile.

Ulysses 31

No one knows while it's happening, the reason SWORD gets absorbed is because of corruption and they had their own nefarious plans for Vision, it wasn't really in their best interest if Fury/Avengers got involved.
Even if that's true, an entire town held hostage and in a dimensional bubble in the US is not something you can keep a secret for long in a world with internet and smart phones. To say nothing of people living outside of that town who have family/relatives/business there.
Yes exactly, he doesn't care because he just views her has a friend that's remorseful, so she's not a threat to him, this immediately changes when he does visit her and he finds out it's all been a ruse and she's about to do shit that's waaaay worse than the westview incident and promptly treats her as hostile.
A friend imprisoning and torturing an entire town, unwillingly or not, with magic is something Dr. Strange would investigate. And for him to just assume it won't happen again without checking it personally is ludicrous and character assassination for someone's that's supposed to be a guardian.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Even if that's true, an entire town held hostage and in a dimensional bubble in the US is not something you can keep a secret for long in a world with internet and smart phones. To say nothing of people living outside of that town who have family/relatives/business there.
There was nothing outside the bubble, all of westview was inside it, anyone who drove into it would just get absorbed, it also only took a little less than two weeks and there were less than 4000 ppl living there, not hard for an organisation like SWORD to keep it quiet.

Edit: I just recalled that the whole reason SWORD was gathering info was because to them it seemed like westview didn't exist and was a creation of wanda, but what she really did was make everyone outside of the hex forget about westview, that's why the cops from eastview don't remember that westview ever existed at all.

A friend imprisoning and torturing an entire town, unwillingly or not, with magic is something Dr. Strange would investigate. And for him to just assume it won't happen again without checking it personally is ludicrous and character assassination for someone's that's supposed to be a guardian.
Not really, she's not some rando, she's a friend, an avenger, the most powerful magic user on the planet, saved the world several times and he knows now she's remorseful and isn't causing any further trouble, case closed, there was nothing left to "investigate", which is also why he doesn't care to discuss it when he does visit.
He realises he misjudged when she reveals the darkhold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom