• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godfall First Boss Fight, PS5 NXGen Gameplay, Dual-swords, 4K Footage. FIRE!!!!!!!!

splattered

I don't know why people are so down on this game, i think it looks a little generic but still fun like the Lords of Fallen dev games. Boss reminds me of first big boss in DS3 i guess? Neat looking but kind of simple but then that's probably the point being the first boss and all? 🤷‍♂️

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't know why people are so down on this game, i think it looks a little generic but still fun like the Lords of Fallen dev games. Boss reminds me of first big boss in DS3 i guess? Neat looking but kind of simple but then that's probably the point being the first boss and all? 🤷‍♂️
The first big boss in DS3 sent me to meet my ancestors 5 or 6 times and in 2 or 3 hits.

I call him the "fuck you" boss cuz that's what I imagine the devs were murmuring to themselves when they made him.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Dang I always struggle telling the difference between the two.

A good rule of thumb is that SSR can't reflect things that aren't on the screen, hence screen space reflections, so if you are looking at some mountains and their reflection in a lake and you move your view down the reflection disappears as they go off the top of the screen then its generally SSR.

Although thats not fullproof as games might blend/replace the reflections in real-time with a different method like cubemaps. I think Control does that maybe but I might be mixing up RT + SSR with SSR + Cubemaps.

TL;DR - Usually its SSR if something's reflection disappears at the same time as said thing goes leaves the screen/viewport.

FunkMiller

You go and APOLOGISE to Iudex this instant, young man!

GymWolf

It is only me or this boss fight looks like total shit gameplay?

I mean, graphics looks insane but a boss fight?

Hit, hit, hit, hit, hit, hit.... Dash, hit, hit, hit, hit,...

This is a joke, not a boss fight.
Someone said that this is the tutorial boss.

Kuranghi

A PSA for non-technical people wanting to check if a game is really running at 60fps and can't tell by eye:

Download this (or any style editor that supports .js): https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=tampermonkey

Then get this "force 30 fps for youtube" script: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/23329-disable-youtube-60-fps-force-30-fps

Then watch the video at the default 60fps, note the motion and stutter when the camera pans. Then activate the script and reload the page, youtube will now believe you can only support 30 fps and hide the 4K60 option and present a 4K30 version instead.

Watch the 30 fps version and you should be able to tell right away if its truly 60 fps.
The Demo here is Uncapped Framerate, above 30 but under 60.

Looks good, cinematics especially. But the art direction is too loud at times, all that gold makes me feel I should be fighting a dragon.

Cool, cheers for the informed info. I'm guessing even though its not locked to 60 there is still a big difference when you use the script I linked to compare the 30fps version of the video to the "60" version.

I'm trying to help people recognise these things themselves so they don't have to rely on someone like yourself to come in the thread and just tell them. Teach a man to fish, etc. Although I understand its gonna be hard to tell if its 30 vs 40ish with this method.

Your work is very much appreciated btw.

Concern

Nice graphics, nothing else going for it. But you know warriors gonna war. So its the "next best thing", even though it a slasher destiny ripoff.

splattered

The first big boss in DS3 sent me to meet my ancestors 5 or 6 times and in 2 or 3 hits.

I call him the "fuck you" boss cuz that's what I imagine the devs were murmuring to themselves when they made him.
You go and APOLOGISE to Iudex this instant, young man!

Really? I didn't think he was that bad though i had already played through DS1 and DS2 and BB so maybe i was just used to the mechanics already?

Tickrate

Looks really saturated and over-sharpened?
Not a fan of the bloom on everything either.

I wonder if the footage has been altered with post processing or not.

Gameplay wise not bad, not my type but animations and effects look good!

Edit: Watched on a LG C9

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
This looks more like something that should be F2P than something that you'd pay for with real money.

The combat looks awful.

This won't last a month in gamer's minds after launch.

Blown out lighting on everything is too much.

Last edited:
Already seeing some of the best graphics ever in these games and they're only releasing in the first year...

As for this game in particular, it's nothing special. I got tired with the Souls trend years ago, it's not good in most other games, move on and figure out another system.

Last edited:
Mfw+title+_6ae528cb922d2db0945935b5f491a7c0.png

WTH was the Square game?!? Not going to lie, it looked fairly interesting. It looked really good too... I guess all games are just going to look good now 🤔 I'm going to have to be extra careful about making impulse purchases!

Edit: Their reaction to Elastiplant extending and running in a circle to collect the crystals was appropriate :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
I've played this game 1,000 times.

Hope it succeeds for the developers but... where's the risk taking?
Not every game needs to be risky imo, especially not a launch game. They're going for a loot melee game with phenomenal graphics/vibrant colours. All they need to do is hit the brief and they'll be fine. Game looks cool, not groundbreaking, but definitely a "good" tier launch game.

Last edited:
Dirt 5 on the XSX was a dynamic 4k screen tearing and geometry/texture pop in and LOD transitions showcase...

and Godfall seems plagued by a fluctuating framerate and some texture pop in like the giant rotating cube during the cutscene after the floor collapses.

Today wasn't a good day for next gen consoles showcase....

I honestly don’t get the graphics in this game - like they’re good? But the art style is just really bad? I can’t tell, but I think that’s it. Demons soul all the way for me

cryptoadam

Banned
Feels like Avengers to me. Co op hack and slash loot game.

Will it be all GaaSey and half baked at launch like most looters?

Caio

Well, it looks quiet good, impressed. I think graphics have improved a lot since I saw it for the first time. I'll stay tuned.

VFXVeteran

Banned
The colour palette for this game is all over the shop.

There's zero hierarchy and as a result your eyes struggle to know what they should be focusing on at any given time. It needs to be toned down massively.

Yea, they really screwed up the colored lighting. It's so bad that the scene has very little actual color variation. Why make beautiful textures when they are dominated by red or blue?

Willing to believe it may have more depth and is just being played like shit, seen plenty of gameplay demos where the person demoing is just a spaz, but even so the pace was dull and the art style is ridiculous. If it ends up as shallow as as it appears it will literally be a polished turd, polished to the point that seemingly everything in the game shines like the sun. Happy to be proved wrong but my expectations are low atm.

GreyHand23

If it releases with a good amount of content and is mostly bug free then I'd have to say it's better than Avengers for now and I've played a ton of Avengers. Avengers needed more time in the oven and I'm really hoping they continue to work on it because it has a solid foundation.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
If it releases with a good amount of content and is mostly bug free then I'd have to say it's better than Avengers for now and I've played a ton of Avengers. Avengers needed more time in the oven and I'm really hoping they continue to work on it because it has a solid foundation.

I much prefer the gameplay of the Avengers. Widely unique movesets and friendly character personalities. Also enemies don't seem like sponges.

Last edited:

GreyHand23

I much prefer the gameplay of the Avengers. Widely unique movesets and friendly character personalities. Also enemies don't seem like sponges.

I'm guessing you haven't played against any of the shielded enemies in Avengers? Plenty of spongey enemies in Avengers as well with lots of trash that you can destroy quite easily. I'm sure they'll have a similar mix here. Avengers does have very unique combat for each character which is nice. Godfall seems more like Dark Souls. Based on the footage here, the different armor people do have personalities, but since we can't see their faces that will be limited for sure. If I'm talking objectively though, Godfall will review better if it does the things I said before, so decently polished, and a good amount of content, and it should have higher reviews than Avengers.

I decided not to watch any footages of godfall. Otherwise I may end up buying the game. It gets better and better. But my wallet hurts. I will get the game when then it’s on sale though.

Audiophile

I dunno what it is about this game, in the latter showings it looks fundamentally nice but alongside the over-cooked colours, there's a "crispy" granular look to the motion and geometry edges that is extremely detrimental. Not sure if it is the TAA, poor motion blur sampling and/or imprecise filtering. But, it breaks the illusion and pushes the game from beautiful to harsh and rudimentary, in places.

The better looking things get, the more important it is that all elements that make up the image are coherent and up (or down-) to an even level. Otherwise things stick out.

Something's just off about this game and it's just not pleasing to the eye..

Last edited:

SuperGooey

Looks like a generic hack 'n slash game from the PS2 era, but with more polygons. The art direction isn't really that impressive to me either since it is so busy.

Top Bottom