• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Oh No, There Goes Tokyo!

Anung

Un Rama
If any Godzilla fans (or people who are curious about the game) are on still the fence about this I put together a video review.

Maybe its Godzilla fan bias but I don't think it deserves even half the internet scorn it seems to be getting right now.

zeopower6

How does diorama mode work? How do I unlock things?

The numbers for bases don't really add up (base 16 is area 17 in the God of Destruction) but basically just get 100% in all stages to get the bases. Figures will add up to a bit more. Lots of energy for those.

100% completion is around 60-70 hours of God of Destruction mode with all kaiju with the Defenders taking the least amount of runs compared to say, Godzilla, who requires about 12 clears to get enough energy for all his unlocks. There's a speed run for G-Energy that's possible with Space Godzilla, it seems, but it requires about 2 hours of speed running through stages 1-7. (5 hours without the speedrunning)

Teknoman

If any Godzilla fans (or people who are curious about the game) are on still the fence about this I put together a video review.

Maybe its Godzilla fan bias but I don't think it deserves even half the internet scorn it seems to be getting right now.

Funny enough, someone in the current console screenshot thread didnt know it existed.

BokehKing

Banned
They're pretty tough to use until you upgrade their charge speed significantly. They're not brawlers, so you have to rely on distance attacks as much as possible. Kiryu is probably the most well rounded of the four.
They got 4 Mechagodzillas but no Titanasaurus, Megalon or Gabera?

Rough

So I am having a lot of problems shooting my atomic breath in the sky, no matter how many times I press up, he shoots breath down.

I'm playing through invade mode with G14 right now, there is no Intel pick ups? Or can you only do that in campaign with BioGodzilla?

G14 makes all other kaiju look like Minya

zeopower6

They got 4 Mechagodzillas but no Titanasaurus, Megalon or Gabera?

Rough

So I am having a lot of problems shooting my atomic breath in the sky, no matter how many times I press up, he shoots breath down.

I'm playing through invade mode with G14 right now, there is no Intel pick ups? Or can you only do that in campaign with BioGodzilla?

G14 makes all other kaiju look like Minya

Data collection is only done in Go Ashore.

As far as the breath goes, it's kind of 'auto aim' and you sorta need to just get lucky.

OK, this is bullshit that I have no idea if JJ is going to show up until after destroying the generators and risking moving on to the next stage. Such a terrible design.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finally got Mothra! Unlocking her was the key to being able to upgrade Godzilla properly. I was able to get about 10 upgrades immediately after finding her.

Now for Biollante. The last kaiju I need.

Thanks, that was pretty useful for someone like me who was still on the fence. As you suggest I think I'll try and wait a while for the price to come down.

zeopower6

OK, this is bullshit that I have no idea if JJ is going to show up until after destroying the generators and risking moving on to the next stage. Such a terrible design.

He's mostly an Easter Egg character. As long as you keep track of time you should be able to tell when he will spawn and when he won't.

Raptomex

Are the monsters you fight random in GoD? I only need one more and I'm not sure if they're in set paths meaning I need to just take a certain route.

Pffffft this guy

I enjoy it, did anyone think this would be some huge mass appeal Success?

Yeah, I saw these reviews coming the second the game was announced. This is par the course for Godzilla games, but at least this actually plays like the movie instead of Super Godzilla, which was my first G game.

If you could stomach that you can handle anything.

zeopower6

Clearly I wouldn't have been upset if I could easily tell. I thought I had it at stage 7 but nope. Gotta restart.

I remember trying a while ago before I got the trophy and got 3 minutes and 5 seconds on the timer. He didn't spawn, so you might need to finish before the timer hits 3 minutes?

Are the monsters you fight random in GoD? I only need one more and I'm not sure if they're in set paths meaning I need to just take a certain route.

They are random..ish? There's a specific set of kaiju that can appear in each stage and then they're randomly selected from there. There are also some like Biollante that can only appear in one area between Go Ashore/Invade/Defend. (Area 17)

This game is really getting battered for no reason. :/ There are FAR worse games out there.

BokehKing

Banned
Yeah, I saw these reviews coming the second the game was announced. This is par the course for Godzilla games, but at least this actually plays like the movie instead of Super Godzilla, which was my first G game.

If you could stomach that you can handle anything.
Hey it may be getting battered, but at least people are not shitting up the thread just because they heard it's not good. To me that's a positive, keeps the OT healthy.
Super Godzilla, the game I only read about in magazines but never actually saw in the stores? I use to think the graphics were amazing on that, made me want it real bad, guess it was a better to want than to have issue.

This was my first Godzilla game, on the NES, it was super tough and the password never got written down, I only got so far and I hated being Mothra at times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyb2sZK9SGc&sns=em

Maaaaaaan, I really want this but it seems to be £50 everywhere in the UK!

*fake edit*, seems like it's £43 on Amazon. Not sure whether to wait on a possible price drop.

Anung

Un Rama
Maaaaaaan, I really want this but it seems to be £50 everywhere in the UK!

*fake edit*, seems like it's £43 on Amazon. Not sure whether to wait on a possible price drop.

I picked it up for £34 on Shopto but it seems the price has shot back up to 47 quid D: I'd wait for a price drop :D

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Well, if it makes anyone feel better, I'm taking on the review for the site I write for and it's not going to be a bad review by any means. As a lifelong Godzilla fan, the game hits the mark in many ways.

Oh, and I just saw this blu ray reissue and thought the cover was hilarious:

TBR-24331D.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well, if it makes anyone feel better, I'm taking on the review for the site I write for and it's not going to be a bad review by any means. As a lifelong Godzilla fan, the game hits the mark in many ways.

TBR-24331D.jpg
Should have been the tree stuff.

I watched the joe review. Its pretty spot on. I think the game is utter shit and i own both this version and the Japanese import which is even more laughable. Like broken framerate, no mp, and no playable monsters outside godzilla.

Stanng243

I watched the joe review. Its pretty spot on. I think the game is utter shit and i own both this version and the Japanese import which is even more laughable. Like broken framerate, no mp, and no playable monsters outside godzilla.

There's online multiplayer, and you can use all the monsters. At least on the PS4 version.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

All of your points are objectively false. You must be playing the PS3 version?

zeopower6

Yeah, it sounds like you bought the PS3 version for both. PS4 has a lot of additions and in Japan, it's marketed as Godzilla VS. and not just Godzilla, while in the West, they marketed it as the same game... >_______>

But he's using points that only apply to the PS3 version....

I am making points about how much worse the ps3 version is but i dont think the ps4 release is much better. I'm still punching generators in an ugly game with little content. So why am i playing it? How many godzilla games come along? I play what i can get. No matter the quality unfortunately.

This game is great dumb fun and amazing for Godzilla fans! Beat it 3 times now and the 3rd time was with Godzilla 2014. It's addicting in a way since you want to make Godzilla grow bigger so you don't get bodied by the tougher Kaiju in the later stages since they get 100m +. Think the highest I got was 99.78m or something during my 2nd play through and I plan on playing again. Also did anybody else who played Godzilla 2014 in God of Destruction mode bust out laughing when they saw a 50m Kaiju come into the stage? I know meter/height growth comes into play and all but I really didn't expect that much of a height difference tbqh. Godzilla is just towering over them and they reach only to his thigh area lol.....good times.

Also the reviews were pretty expected imo, though as a HUGE Godzilla fan it is really enjoyable. It could use much improvements here and there but the combat and feel is true to the source that you can't help but smile if you grew up watching Godzilla/Kaiju movies. Kinda doubt it happen but I hope to see a sequel after they release the new Toho Godzilla movie next year. Hoping for it to be a true next gen Godzilla game with an original storyline, more destruction, expanded roster, 4 player multiplayer(3 is just weird) and way more variety in the types of modes. Though since PS4 isn't doing so great in Japan, it's a long shot that it would happen but it's still possible since Godzilla has/is coming back strong nowadays.

Also off topic but I think Gamera has a new movie that is supposedly coming out next year too which is great.

SURGEdude

Got the game from Gamefly at 9 this morning. Played for a couple of hours in absolute horror. Stuck it in the mailbox on the corner before afternoon pickup. The game is broken, repetitive, and boring as fuck. I'm struggling to think of a single positive other than that I think it's pretty accurate that Zilla moves like the big tank he is.

Godzilla games sometimes get a bad rap, but in this case it was well deserved.

Teknoman

Got the game from Gamefly at 9 this morning. Played for a couple of hours in absolute horror. Stuck it in the mailbox on the corner before afternoon pickup. The game is broken, repetitive, and boring as fuck. I'm struggling to think of a single positive other than that I think it's pretty accurate that Zilla moves like the big tank he is.

Godzilla games sometimes get a bad rap, but in this case it was well deserved.

i can see someone saying repetitive...maybe boring if you dont just enjoy smashing cities, and then getting into monster duels, but how is it broken?

SURGEdude

i can see someone saying repetitive...maybe boring if you dont just enjoy smashing cities, and then getting into monster duels, but how is it broken?

The matchmaking is totally broken with no attempt to get similarly skilled players together and on top of it tons of lag and random disconnects which I don't suffer from on other PS4 titles. In addition the clipping is constant and just shows how lazy the whole product is. And finally the lack of a real way of blocking, which is an essential for a fighting or brawling game. All of those to me stand out from the rest of it like the bad graphics, lack of variety or length, and small cities, as being something that rises up just taste and are elements that by any reasonable measure are busted.

The matchmaking is totally broken with no attempt to get similarly skilled players together and on top of it tons of lag and random disconnects which I don't suffer from on other PS4 titles. In addition the clipping is constant and just shows how lazy the whole product is. And finally the lack of a real way of blocking, which is an essential for a fighting or brawling game. All of those to me stand out from the rest of it like the bad graphics, lack of variety or length, and small cities, as being something that rises up just taste and are elements that by any reasonable measure are busted.
If you gave it more than a couple of hours and learned its nuances and asked questions or searched around this thread, you'd see that there's a bit more depth than initially thought.

Blocking and move buffing is done with R1+L1. And you'd probably want to grow and upgrade your kaiju before heading online anyway.

By the way, folks... Can I remove special moves once unlocked? Godzilla's 180° turn when I'm trying to roar/block just fucks me up. I guess upgrading that path may help?

zeopower6

If you gave it more than a couple of hours and learned its nuances and asked questions or searched around this thread, you'd see that there's a bit more depth than initially thought.

Blocking and move buffing is done with R1+L1. And you'd probably want to grow and upgrade your kaiju before heading online anyway.

By the way, folks... Can I remove special moves once unlocked? Godzilla's 180° turn when I'm trying to roar/block just fucks me up. I guess upgrading that path may help?

Hmm, it takes some getting used to. I still occasionally accidentally do the 180 turn when roaring x_x

Tizoc

TBR-24331D.jpg

Godzilla's enjoying himself. Any chance this one will be region free?

Kamina777

Banned
I don't remember Godzilla blocking, crossing up or doing parries in any of the movies. Its fine if you say it's a lackluster product, but putting unrealistic expectations on it to the further the point just seems like ovrrkill.

BokehKing

Banned
Sounds like this game is not for you man..
I don't even really notice any of those things because I'm a bias godzilla fan who is just happy to have a godzilla game. My little nephews love it, play it with them, we have fun, it's cool to see the smiles on their faces as they blow stuff up ect ect

Top Bottom