• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Pretty rad day after a couple days of complete crap. Between today's stuff, Wasteland 2 DC, and the Witcher 3 expansion? Pretty killer week.

Dsyndrome

Pretty rad day after a couple days of complete crap. Between today's stuff, Wasteland 2 DC, and the Witcher 3 expansion? Pretty killer week.

Swamped with RPG goodness, I don't even know why I bought Age of Decadence yesterday when I already have Wasteland 2, Witcher 3, and Divinity DC this month.

Tizoc

So bit of an odd question but of the following games which is one that is 'fast paced' or quick to get into?
Anno 1503
Anno 1701
The Settlers Rise of an Empire

Sothpaw

OK I have about 20 hours into System Shock Enhanced. Gotta say it's one of the best games I've ever played. I wish games like this were still being made but honestly Bioshock is so watered down compared to SS. SS makes you think without being overcomplicated, it's just so perfectly paced. Night Dive did a great job with this release as well.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So bit of an odd question but of the following games which is one that is 'fast paced' or quick to get into?
Anno 1503
Anno 1701
The Settlers Rise of an Empire

None of those games could be called fast paced by any metric. But I guess Settlers would be the easiest to get into despite being the worst of the 3 games.

Tizoc

None of those games could be called fast paced by any metric. But I guess Settlers would be the easiest to get into despite being the worst of the 3 games.

Thanks, but could you elaborate on why Settlers is the weakest of the bunch?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Thanks, but could you elaborate on why Settlers is the weakest of the bunch?

They tried to revamp the classic Settlers formula to be more of a combat focused traditional RTS and completely shit up everything that makes Settlers great while not at all delivering a quality RTS.

Tizoc

Most of these DOSBOX emulated games don't run well on my lappy @_@
Will post a list of which ones don't work later.

Risgroo

I'm in the mood for some Rogue Squadron, is the GOG version alright now? IIRC there were a few issues when it launched.

Tizoc

So in Asia there is Project EGG, a service that allows people to buy old 80s and 90s games and PC games.
Among Project EGG's catalog is a bunch of classic Falcom games including Xanadu, Dragon Slayer and Sorcerian
http://www.amusement-center.com/project/egg/

In addition they have a bunch of Konami games too though mainly their MSX and MSX 2 library-
Castlevania 1 MSX

Now granted all games are in Japanese, but it'd be pretty interesting if they can have a partnership and release 'not very Japanese text heavy' games on GOG.

While the site does have an English language option I don't think it features all the games.

mclem

A rare Friday release, and it's niche but interesting:

Falcon Collection

Falcon through to Falcon 4.0. I seem to remember these being really popular amongst my friends who were heavily into flight sims.

Edit: Oh, that's interesting. 4.0 is regarded as a 'bonus item' rather than as one of the games in the pack. Reading the forum, if I'm understanding the implications correctly, it seems that barebones 4.0 isn't really that popular, but it has some very popular user mods. GoG can't distribute the modded version, of course. Hence presenting 4.0 as more of a platform than a game.

MrFortyFive

A rare Friday release, and it's niche but interesting:

Falcon Collection

Falcon through to Falcon 4.0. I seem to remember these being really popular amongst my friends who were heavily into flight sims.

Edit: Oh, that's interesting. 4.0 is regarded as a 'bonus item' rather than as one of the games in the pack. Reading the forum, if I'm understanding the implications correctly, it seems that barebones 4.0 isn't really that popular, but it has some very popular user mods. GoG can't distribute the modded version, of course. Hence presenting 4.0 as more of a platform than a game.

You're basically right. A mod on the forums had this to say about it:

"Okay, all jokes aside, here is why Falcon 4.0 was added as an as-is bonus.

The last official version before Hasbro disbanded the dev team was 1.08. After the source code leaked though, the community carried the development cycle on and carried the torch. Currently, the Benchmark Sims team is carrying the torch with their excellent BMS - I, being an A10 Warthog fan, am stunned by the amount of work put into all community projects.

Therefore, fixing the old Falcon 4.0 in terms of compatibility would still give you an inferior game. However, in order to install community projects like BMS, you need to show that you have the original game. Hence the decision to include the original Falcon 4.0 as a bonus."

I don't have much interest in the games myself, but it's cool to see GOG bringing back these games from obscurity for those who do have the interest.

draetenth

The second chapter is finally coming out?

Ah, I finally saw the thread about it. I've been holding off on playing the first one so I'm ready. IIRC, it's been mentioned that it's nice to play the second one after the first, but the third one isn't as crucial.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So in Asia there is Project EGG, a service that allows people to buy old 80s and 90s games and PC games.
Among Project EGG's catalog is a bunch of classic Falcom games including Xanadu, Dragon Slayer and Sorcerian
http://www.amusement-center.com/project/egg/

In addition they have a bunch of Konami games too though mainly their MSX and MSX 2 library-
Castlevania 1 MSX

Now granted all games are in Japanese, but it'd be pretty interesting if they can have a partnership and release 'not very Japanese text heavy' games on GOG.

While the site does have an English language option I don't think it features all the games.
Sorry to ask this kind of question, but how can I assure myself that these are legitimate licensed game downloads? In the West, I certainly feel that GOG is well-known for having publisher agreements, but I'm not familiar with this company. And I saw something about a monthly fee for access -- what's that about, or was it a bad Google Translate thing?

Knurek

Sorry to ask this kind of question, but how can I assure myself that these are legitimate licensed game downloads? In the West, I certainly feel that GOG is well-known for having publisher agreements, but I'm not familiar with this company. And I saw something about a monthly fee for access -- what's that about, or was it a bad Google Translate thing?

EGG is as legitimate in Japan as GOG is here.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Thanks!

The ¥500/month charge is kind of off-putting, after having free service with GOG. I'll look over their catalog and see whether it's worth it to grab a few titles.

Nikodemos

Warhammer 40k: Rites of War is out, and part of this week's Staff Pick bundle, along with Chaos Gate, Final Liberation and SotHR.

Knurek

Warhammer 40k: Rites of War is out, and part of this week's Staff Pick bundle, along with Chaos Gate, Final Liberation and SotHR.

What's the deal with SotHR user reviews? Last few are just a string of 1/5ths complaining that the game doesn't work.
I thought GOG didn't ship games like that?

Knurek

They've been dropping the ball a lot late. If a game isn't DOS based (and thus uses DOSBox), then odds are GOG didn't do much to make it work.

This is bullshit.
Also, take note that other Warhammer games in the bundle are getting the same reviews. One of them even mentions you can't return the game if you're running Windows 10 (on which the games don't seem to work at all), since the store product page only mentions compatibility up to Windows 8.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Blood Omen 2 is just fine if you like the series. Did someone get BO1 working? PC version has been a nightmare for a long time, enough for it to be a better idea to go with the PS1 version.

Persona7

Banned
Trails In the Sky FC is getting a update soon. I think it is the past few (two, I think) steam patches rolled into one? I am not exactly sure.

ShadowOwl

Trails In the Sky FC is getting a update soon. I think it is the past few (two, I think) steam patches rolled into one? I am not exactly sure.
How do you know? Also, that update is way overdue. I hate feeling like a 2nd class customer on GOG when it comes to game updates.

Tizoc

Well fancy that Blood Omen is on sale on US PSN.
Sadly it isn't directly Vita compatible.

Are there any major differences between the PC and PSOne versions?

Knurek

Well fancy that Blood Omen is on sale on US PSN.
Sadly it isn't directly Vita compatible.

Are there any major differences between the PC and PSOne versions?

One version has horrible loading times.
I'll let you guess which one.

D3RANG3D

Good luck getting Blood Omen running on a modern OS.

aULFSTC.png

Running on Windows 10

Dsyndrome

Try dgVoodoo2, it fixes literally every old PC game that I throw at it.

Holy shit, I got Dark Side of the Moon working with it, even on Windows 10. Wish I had heard about this before.

Edit: well it works every other time, anyways. Need to do some more tweaking.

SparkTR

Holy shit, I got Dark Side of the Moon working with it, even on Windows 10. Wish I had heard about this before.

It's probably one of my favourite pieces of gaming software right now, I've been installing dozen of older games lately that haven't been released on gog and this fixes pretty much all of them to varying degrees. Even notoriously buggy ones like Warhammer Dark Omen, Space Hulk Vengeance of the Blood Angels and Mage Slayer work great with it.

Knurek

Try dgVoodoo2, it fixes literally every old PC game that I throw at it.

Doesn't work all that well with Planescape Torment.
No flickering, true, but the minute the gameplay starts, it starts chugging at 5-10 fps.
Might be because I have ddraw fix applied and am playing at 1080p...

Tizoc

I have a bit of a stupid question to ask but ummm
Roller coaster Tycoon are about building theme parks in general and not just roller coasters?

Top Bottom