• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GomTV Starcraft II (GSL) Tournament - Season 3 - Thread of white people in Korea

Aaron

Feep said:
I didn't watch any of the later games, but is defending 14 hatch THAT hard? That one guy did 2 Spine Crawlers (with GOOD placement) and banelings to pretty easily hold it off.

Not that I mind. This do-one-thing-only mindset is annoying (and yet, so APPROPRIATE for the hivemind). I'd love to see transitions into early Roach and maybe 20-Hatch.
The guy who fended it off was facing Rainbow, who was playing like complete shit. He had a chance to kill the second spine crawler before it popped, and just failed. He also didn't commit enough SCVs. There was also the map advantage with the ramp creating a small chokepoint... so you can hold it off, but you need a lot in your favor.

syllogism

As always, people are way too quick to draw conclusions. Mere weeks ago terrans were adamantly claiming 14 hatch is 100% safe. Certainly on some maps/close positions it will be, as it should, very difficult to defend against early all-in aggression with 14 hatch, but it's far from clear whether that applies to most maps. Obviously it's pretty silly to be 14 hatching currently if you aren't certain you'll be able to hold the push most of the time.

Mairu

Just woke up and started watching the 2AM matches. Spoiled myself with the results though and saw I'm 2/4 for the bets on the later matches :lol At least Fruit Dealer didn't get knocked out :p

V_Arnold

14 hatch is anything but

-100% safe
-0% safe

The truth lies in between, obviously. I personally think that some zergs (the good ones) realized that:
a) If terran brings SCV's, you gotta bring drones usually also, or at least have the option
b) Queens help. Queens aid. Queens heal, Queens buy you time
c) Spine crawlers can be crucial

Combined all these, Zergs can imho defend an early exp more successfully if they know what they are doing compared to some poster's quoted 20-food roach build. Because you can more easily place defenses and get queen around if you already have hatches creep around to plant buildings and move faster than to face an incoming marine+(optionally scv) rush when your hatch is still spawning, and you have a few immobile roach.

//Edit: Not to mention the OH-MY-GOD option of actually abandoning the hatch and tech up behind with spines, and defending your choke. While the mule gathers money, terrans would have used it regardless of the SCV's, so if he brings 6-10 scv to bring you down, and you can defend your choke but not your exp, you gotta realize that and you will easily get ahead due to his SCV's lost mining time.

Boken

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Stalkers? They do not have the range for that. Study that map for a second, please. And more importantly, Colossi only sees high ground if he is on it.

Colossi can see high ground as long as it is within sight range.

I thought FD's games were pretty good today! (Only because I'm rooting for FD lol)

Zzoram

In Broodwar Zerg had to build 3 creep colonies after a 12 hatch to be safe against an early marine push. They would start upgrading them to sunken colonies if their zerglings saw marines move out. Zerg in SC2 has to fully commit to spine crawlers due to build time of spine crawlers being too long to start them when you see marines move out. I think 2-3 should be standard after a 14 hatch to be safe. Zergs are just playing too greedy.

Also Broodwar zergs kept their Speedlings outside their base to surround the attacking marines from behind when they engage the sunken colonies. I'm not sure why SC2 zergs dont do these basic Broodwar Zerg things that developed to make hatch first safer.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
V_Arnold said:
Stalkers? They do not have the range for that. Study that map for a second, please. And more importantly, Colossi only sees high ground if he is on it.
colossi are air units as far as the game is concerned. they can see up cliffs at all times and can be fired upon without highground sight.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I'm bored!

Teams:
ZeNex: Banbanssu, cOre, Destination, Kyrix, JSL, Drug, Line, Naya, DreamizEr, Choa, On
Prime.We: Check, anypro, MarineKing, HongUn, Libero, Maka, Polt, BitByBit, ButterFlyEffect, Annyung
fOu: aLive, choya, Golden, GuMiho, Leenock, sC, TheBest
oGs: HyperDub, MC, TheWind, VINES, Zenio
ST: GgoBooGie, Monster, Rainbow, July, Max
IM: JunwiPirme, MVP, NesTea, Sleep
TSL: Cliiiiiiiide, Fruit Dealer, Rain, GuineaPig
Liquid: Ret, HayprO, Jinro
FOX: Moon, Lyn
EG: Idra
Fnatic: Sen

Clans:
SlayerS: Boxer, Jys
NSP: Joon, Genius
Jung: JookTo

No Team: OdinMVP, Cyrano, LittleBoy[Goma],Rache, NewDawn, Tosyad

Round of 64:
Code:
[B]Team			No.	%[/B]
ZeNex: 			11	17.2%
Prime.We: 		10	15.6%
For Our Utopia (fOu):	7	10.9%
No Team: 		6	9.4%
Old Generations (oGs):	5	7.8%
Startale (ST): 		5	7.8%
Incredible Miracle (IM):4	6.25%
The SCV Life (TSL):	4	6.25%
Liquid:			3	4.9%
New Star Players (NSP): 2	3.125%
SlayerS (SlS):		2	3.125%
WeMade FOX: 		2	3.125%
Evil Geniuses (EG): 	1	1.6%
Fnatic: 		1	1.6%
Jung: 			1	1.6%

Round of 32 (so far)
Code:
[B]Team			No.	%[/B]
For Our Utopia (fOu):	3	21.4%
Prime.We: 		3	21.4%
No Team: 		2	14.3%
The SCV Life (TSL):	2	14.3%
Fnatic: 		1	7.1%
Incredible Miracle (IM):1	7.1%
New Star Players (NSP): 1	7.1%
Startale (ST): 		1	7.1%

Note2: http://kr.battle.net/sc2/ko/profile/81892/1/oGsjookTo/ <-- going to try and confirm this now..

Zzoram

HopeTorture is in ST I Believe. Nsp is a clan not a team. The difference is clans have much lower admission requirements and no sponsors.

HolyCheck

Zzoram said:
HopeTorture is in ST I Believe. Nsp is a clan not a team. The difference is clans have much lower admission requirements and no sponsors.

Yes thats what I thought, GOM has him listed as TSL_Rainbow so I was a tad confused.

and yeah.. so I'm thinking of counting genius twice lol.. as the other NSP member gets a mention in the clan..

HolyCheck

(Z)LiquidRet vs Cyrano(P)
(T)JSLZenith vs KyrixZenith(Z)
(T)MarineKing vs NEXLine(Z)
(R)GuMihofOu vs Monster(Z)
(P)GuineaPig vs IMJunwi(Z)

(T)Cliiiiiiide vs LeenockfOu(Z)
(Z)Max vs oGsHyperdub(T)
(P)oGsMC vs OdinMvP(T)
(Z)July vs cOreZenith(P)

Get yo tips in!

Underlined/Boldered/Italicised the ones I really really really hope win

HolyCheck

Trickster said:
any reccomended games from today?
Ro64 - Day 2A - Set 1
(Games _ + _)
Ro64 - Day 2A - Set 2
(Games _ + _)
Ro64 - Day 2A - Set 3
(Games 2 + _)
(One sided, but a fun watch)
Ro64 - Day 2A - Set 4
(Games _ + _)
Ro64 - Day 2A - Set 5
(Games _ + _)
--

Ro64 - Day 2B - Set 1
(Games 1 + 2)
Ro64 - Day 2B - Set 2
(Games 1 + 2)
Ro64 - Day 2B - Set 3
(Games _ + _)
Ro64 - Day 2B - Set 4
(Games _ + _)

GAF bets after day2:

vicissitudes - 10
jersoc - 10
HolyCheck - 9
jorma - 9
Chaser - 9
Mairu - 8
bbyybb - 7
Wallach - 7
Hazaro - 6
poserdonut - 6
Haunted - 5
Raelson - 5
Akuun - 5
Freakinchair - 5
pieatorium - 4

Everyone got Rainbow and Haypro wrong, anyproPrime and Lyn losing screwed up a lot of people. A bunch of newcomers on day 2 who are behind for missing day 1. Congrats to Wallach for getting an amazing 7/9, leapfrogging Hazaro and poserdonut who betted on both days :lol

jersoc

(T)BoxeR vs NEXLine(Z) <----watch this be an upset and screw everyone up
(R)GuMihofOu vs Monster(Z) <---no clue, but random will be fun to watch

(T)Cliide vs LeenockfOu(Z)
(Z)Max vs oGsHyperdub(T)
(P)oGsMC vs OdinMvP(T)
(Z)July vs cOreZenith(P)

I agree with the person above who said day 1 was better. I was booooored watching the last set of games last night. I think it's more that TvT is just like watching the same person fight themselves. Both sides used tanks and marines almost exclusively. /yawn

HolyCheck

Vaporak said:
Apparently Genius isn't in Zenex anymore and is currently teamless.

That's what I've been saying! but no one believes me :( even NesTea said it!
and you know, looking at that line up of players, he's the only one who's made a name for himself (and now Kyrix I guess) but everyone else is some new school (ie popped up in the last month or two)

and now i'm questioning a few other things, for instance, slayers is just a clan too.

I'll have another google around later tonight.. its 7am and I haven't slept yet.. and I still have an ep of chuck to watch.. and house.. oh god :(

jorma

is now taking requests
(T)BoxeR vs NEXLine(Z)

(T)Cliiiiiiiiiiiide vs LeenockfOu(Z)
(Z)Max vs oGsHyperdub(T)
(P)oGsMC vs OdinMvP(T)
(Z)July vs cOreZenith(P)

Gotta go with random!

Raelson

(T)BoxeR vs NEXLine(Z)

(Z)Max vs oGsHyperdub(T)
(P)oGsMC vs OdinMvP(T)
(Z)July vs cOreZenith(P)

HolyCheck

1290509454_1.jpg

Those eyes... they look soulless.

Haunted

vicissitudes said:
GAF bets after day2:

Everyone got Rainbow and Haypro wrong, anyproPrime and Lyn losing screwed up a lot of people. A bunch of newcomers on day 2 who are behind for missing day 1. Congrats to Wallach for getting an amazing 7/9, leapfrogging Hazaro and poserdonut who betted on both days :lol
It's a long season, we're just getting started. :D

Thanks for counting. :)

(Z)LiquidRet vs Cyrano(P) - foreigner fighting!
(T)JSLZenith vs KyrixZenith(Z) - fantastic showing in GSL2
(T)BoxeR vs NEXLine(Z) - see above
(R)GuMihofOu vs Monster(Z) - gotta root for the random

(T)Cliiiiiiide vs LeenockfOu(Z) - why so good Clide?
(Z)Max vs oGsHyperdub(T)
(P)oGsMC vs OdinMvP(T) - The Protoss hope
(Z)July vs cOreZenith(P)

All in all, I'm playing it ridiculously safe. :lol

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Anyone know a program to dl the videos off the web. The usual youtube dlers don't won't. Oh well I'll watch these sometime when I get home :(

farnham

Banned
(Z)LiquidRet vs Cyrano(P) - BROTOSS!
(T)BoxeR vs NEXLine(Z)
(R)GuMihofOu vs Monster(Z) 33,33% chance of BROTOSS!
(P)GuineaPig vs IMJunwi(Z) BROTOSS!

(T)Clide vs LeenockfOu(Z)
(Z)Max vs oGsHyperdub(T)
(P)oGsMC vs OdinMvP(T) - BROTOSS!
(Z)July vs cOreZenith(P)

Yup!

Haunted

Zzoram said:
I wonder what team. oGs and Prime are the best teams.
oGs certainly took a beating so far, though. 2 of their biggest names (Nada and Inca) not even qualifiying, and the 2 players competing so far both getting kicked out in the Ro64.

At least MC and Zenio should be fine, though.

Looking at the lineup only, Prime is certainly looking the strongest right now. Zenex has a lot of players, but quite a few of those are unknown, so it's hard to gauge how many will make it actually through to the later rounds.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
My picks for today's set of games.

(T)BoxeR vs NEXLine(Z)
(R)GuMihofOu vs Monster(Z) <-- Should be interesting

(T)Clide vs LeenockfOu(Z) <-- Come on Clliiiiide
(Z)Max vs oGsHyperdub(T)
(P)oGsMC vs OdinMvP(T)
(Z)July vs cOreZenith(P)

I didn't pick to well, with Lynn and Haypro being my biggest disappointments so far. I actually haven't watched the Haypro games but from what i have read it looks like they were pretty one sided.

(T)BoxeR vs NEXLine(Z)

(Z)Max vs oGsHyperdub(T)
(P)oGsMC vs OdinMvP(T)
(Z)July vs cOreZenith(P)

Can't wait to see July play. I won't be able to watch Ret (and the whole first batch of games) unfortunately, the games start at 05:00 CET which is a tad too early for my taste. The maps Ret has to play don't seem too bad for him (Metalopolis, Jungle Basin, Xel'Naga)

(T)BoxeR vs NEXLine(Z)

(Z)Max vs oGsHyperdub(T)
(P)oGsMC vs OdinMvP(T)
(Z)July vs cOreZenith(P)

HolyCheck

ret 1.15 vs. 4.75 Cyrano
JSLZenith 2.45 vs. 1.48 Kyrix
Foxer 1.40 vs. 2.75 NEXLine
GuMihofOu 2.55 vs. 1.45 Monster
GuineaPig 3.20 vs. 1.30 Junwi
Clide 1.50 vs. 2.40 Leenock
Max 1.65 vs. 2.10 oGsHyperdub
oGsMC 1.34 vs. 3.00 OdinMvP
July 1.50 vs. 2.40 cOreZenith

The odds! care of TL, care of XLBet.com

mad favoritism for ret! go korea!

edit: shit is it foxer or boxer playing

FFS it's marine king, i copied pasted the names from the gom site too, gah! time to change my choice

edit2: every one else but me picked him anyway so it didn't matter lol. unless you wish to bet against!

Mairu

(T)BoxeR vs NEXLine(Z)

(Z)Max vs oGsHyperdub(T)
(P)oGsMC vs OdinMvP(T)
(Z)July vs cOreZenith(P)

Man today is a hard one...also I'm a little surprised at the Korean bets for a couple of them.

(T)BoxeR vs NEXLine(Z)

(Z)Max vs oGsHyperdub(T)
(P)oGsMC vs OdinMvP(T)
(Z)Julyvs cOreZenith(P)

GuMihofOu versus Monster is very tough. ST_Monster is a...well, monster on ladder, but GuMihofOu is pretty high too, and I think random + Monster's nerves may give the edge to GuMiho (although I just really want him to win).

GuineaPig and IMJunwi is another tough one. IMJunwi another monster on ladder and on a very good team, but GuineaPig is on TSL and I've heard very good things about him. Gonna go with a dark hose pick.

Max vs. oGsHyperdub...no idea who Max is, but I feel like oGsHyperdub has fallen off since Season 1. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

July vs. cOreZenith another tough one, I don't think either player is very good so it's a toss-up.

I'd like to chime in, thank you vicissitudes!

No problem, gives me something to do at work :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Code:
[B](Z)ret[/B] vs (P)Cyrano:                            Metalopolis, Jungle Basin, Xel'Naga Caverns
(T)JSLZenith vs [B](Z)Kyrix[/B]:                       Metalopolis, Delta Quadrant, Jungle Basin
[B](T)MarineKingPrime[/B] vs (Z)NEXLine:            Shakuras Plateau, Lost Temple, Jungle Basin
[B](R)GuMihofOu[/B] vs (Z)Monster:                    Jungle Basin, Metalopolis, Shakuras Plateau
(P)GuineaPig vs [B](Z)Junwi[/B]:                 Lost Temple, Shakuras Plateau, Xel'Naga Caverns
--
[B](T)Clide[/B] vs (Z)Leenock:                       Jungle Basin, Lost Temple, Shakuras Plateau
(Z)Max vs [B](T)oGsHyperdub[/B]:                  Blistering Sands, Scrap Station, Delta Quadrant
[B](P)oGsMC[/B] vs (T)OdinMvP:                  Jungle Basin, Shakuras Plateau, Xel'Naga Caverns
(Z)July vs [B](P)cOreZenith[/B]:                Shakuras Plateau, Delta Quadrant, Steppes of War

When to watch:
Nov 22, 2010 19:00 KST(GMT+9) - 8 PM / 2 AM (PST).
The Ro64 will go on a 8pm/2am rotation like Season 2.
Ro32 and on will likely all be at (13:00)/19:00KST (GMT+9) - 2 AM (PST). Finals might be an hour earlier or later.

Streams
(Must have GOM installed): http://www.gomtv.net/2010gslopens3/live/
PLEASE INSTALL AND STREAM VIA GOM PLAYER. If you cannot after a few tries, then watch via stream.

http://www.livestream.com/dicesc
http://www.livestream.com/kim347
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/huko1
http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/SKTDH
http://www.justin.tv/carefoot

vicissitudes said:
Congrats to Wallach for getting an amazing 7/9, leapfrogging Hazaro and poserdonut who betted on both days :lol
That's what I get for voting with my heart.
I bet I get 6/9 today.

Chaser

Another standard round of picks:

(T)BoxeR vs NEXLine(Z)

(T)Cliiiiiiiiiiiide vs LeenockfOu(Z) (it's his turn this year, I (read: Tastosis) swear!)
(Z)Max vs oGsHyperdub(T)
(P)oGsMC vs OdinMvP(T)
(Z)July vs cOreZenith(P)

Zzoram

Teamliquid said:
Clinching Scenarios ro64 Day 3

LiquidRet: Can clinch at least Code A with win.
Cyrano: Can clinch at least Code A with win.

JSLZenith: Code A achieved, small chance of clinching Code S after ro32
KyrixZenith: Code S achieved

FoxeR: Code S achieved
NEXLine: Code A achieved, will likely need to get a top8 finish to achieve Code S

GuMihofOu: Can clinch at least Code A with win.
ST_Monster: Can clinch at least Code A with win.

GuineaPig: Code A achieved, small chance of clinching Code S after ro32
IMJunwi: Code A achieved, small chance of clinching Code S after ro32

TSL_Clide: Code S clinched
LeenockfOu: Code A achieved, could clinch Code S with win and a few other players losing in the later ro64 games

ST_Max: Can clinch at least Code A with win.
oGsHyperdub: Code S clinched.

oGsMC: Code A achieved, could clinch Code S with win and a few other players losing in the later ro64 games
Aya: Code A achieved, small chance of clinching Code S after ro32

ST_July: Can clinch at least Code A with win.
cOreZenith: Code A achieved, no clinching scenarios for Code S until ro32

Click here for Code S wild card rankings

Go Ret!

Wallach

vicissitudes said:

ERiTV.gif

Here's my picks for today. I'll probably get mauled now. :lol

(T)BoxeR vs NEXLine(Z)

(Z)Max vs oGsHyperdub(T)
(P)oGsMC vs OdinMvP(T)
(Z)July vs cOreZenith(P)

Top Bottom