• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOT review embargo up on 14/07

Green texting outside 4chan KEK.

The climbing is like Uncharted? Now i know you're trolling it looks like the same animation SP has been using since Sly 1 and that was carried to the Infamous games right down to changing the character direction in a mid air.

I want to believe you, but it looked like that press forward to climb shit that has littered a lot of Sony exclusives. It was not like that for Sly or Infamous, those games had more engaging movement.

drotahorror

I thought this was more 'tactical' I guess. Nothing wrong with the 'spectacle fighter' approach but I was thinking it was something different. More Bushido Blade-esque. Looks amazing, graphically, but maybe a bit of a letdown considering Sucker Punch has been MIA since the start of the generation. I do hope it's something special though.

No animations while collecting items, roll spam is pretty over the top, and the bear fight is embarassing. I really want to like it, but damn.
Thank god for no collecting items animation. Much rather that than the absurd animation times in something like RDR2. That shit made me stop playing that game.

Thank god for no collecting items animation. Much rather that than the absurd animation times in something like RDR2. That shit made me stop playing that game.

Why does everybody keep referring to RDR2 on this matter? Again, it doesn't need to be a fully fledged ultra detailed animation, just a damn arm stretching out and catching the item would be just fine. No animation at all looks weird, and lazy.

THEAP99

Banned
Wapo reporter LMAO. Why does this crowd need to make everything seem so dramatic? It's a fucking game, liking or not liking it literally cannot be hard.
Honestly reviews are one of my favorite parts of a game release. I like the predictions, worries, and rollercoaster of emotions based on impressions LOL

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why does everybody keep referring to RDR2 on this matter? Again, it doesn't need to be a fully fledged ultra detailed animation, just a damn arm stretching out and catching the item would be just fine. No animation at all looks weird, and lazy.
And yet in RDR2 with all detail animation picking stuff up, it doesnā€™t have any animation for picking up bullets, to me that far more weird.

Honestly reviews are one of my favorite parts of a game release. I like the predictions, worries, and rollercoaster of emotions based on impressions LOL

I actually enjoy it a lot as well. Which do you think end up with a higher Metascore, GOT or Paper Mario?

THEAP99

Banned
I actually enjoy it a lot as well. Which do you think end up with a higher Metascore, GOT or Paper Mario?
I honestly don't know much about Paper Mario. Not interested in Nintendo. Though my Nintendo friends in a discord say it's gonna be the highest-rated game all year.

Idk. I skimmed through some impressions for it and think it will rate higher than Ghost.

I honestly don't know much about Paper Mario. Not interested in Nintendo. Though my Nintendo friends in a discord say it's gonna be the highest-rated game all year.

Idk. I skimmed through some impressions for it and think it will rate higher than Ghost.

I wish I shared your friends confidence lol. I'm going back and forth with how Paper Mario is going to score, I was ready for a mid 70's score but I'm reading a lot of really positive impressions so I think it could do mid 80's. Anything higher than that is probably not realistic. I think GOT ends up somewhere along that as well, it could be a tie.

Like my brain is telling me that GOT ends up with a higher score, but I have this nagging feeling it won't. Really interesting situation considering both games come out in the same day.

THEAP99

Banned
I wish I shared your friends confidence lol. I'm going back and forth with how Paper Mario is going to score, I was ready for a mid 70's score but I'm reading a lot of really positive impressions so I think it could do mid 80's. Anything higher than that is probably not realistic. I think GOT ends up somewhere along that as well, it could be a tie.

Like my brain is telling me that GOT ends up with a higher score, but I have this nagging feeling it won't. Really interesting situation considering both games come out in the same day.
When even does the embargo drop for Paper Mario?

Blond

Banned
Anyone playing can confirm if there's multiple characters? I feel like when I watch I'm wondering why they keep making an emphasis on the main characters name whenever I see this on the loading screens. Almost like a reminder of who you're playing as.

Unless it's been confirmed already then excuse me, but I've tended to not care more about video game previews since Halo 2, anyone who's old enough to remember that understands a hard lesson about hype/keeping up with the game

Last edited:

Fake

Bet it scores higher from real gamers than tlou2

IMO will be not higher than TLOUS2, but user score will probably for sure.

I guess 8 or higher. If both review score and user score get in this level will be great for the company.

Ya idk. Iā€™d say 90s for Paper Mario. 80s for Ghost. I hope Ghost rates higher than Paper Mario so i can taunt my nintendo friends

I'm a Nintenchad myself, but I wouldn't be mad if GOT takes this one because I really love SP and I have an almost irrational fear they could go under if any of their games underperform.

REE Machine

Banned
A review has leaked
https://www.pcgalaxy.co.il/game-review-ghost-of-tsushima/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

its in hebrew but they gave it a 9.5/10
tenor.gif

THEAP99

Banned
Now, towards the end of the generation, just before we move to PlayStation 5, the studio decided to take us back to the island in Japan during the Mongol invasion with Ghost of Tsushima, in the first game of this generation that takes place in ancient Japan (after Nioh and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice ) which includes A huge and accurate open world. But does that mean it's interesting and fun to play? Keep reading and find out.

The game opens with an epic battle on the shores of Kedma between the samurai forces and the Mongol invasion as you play the protagonist of the game Gin Sakai. After a hard fight that sees the loss of the samurai and the capture of your aunt, the leader of the island, you wake up and are treated by a warrior named Jonah. You make a failed attempt to save your uncle once again from the Mongol leader, one of the descendants of Genghis Khan named Cotton Khan (and an excellent villain by the way), and you now open up to the beautiful land of Tsushima as you try to gather and strengthen aids to save your uncle from captivity and put End the Mongol invasion before you cover his entire island and call your home

I will not go into too much detail on what happens next, but it is a pretty simple and direct
story, but with very kind and complex characters. The villain of the game may be a bit generic with his dialogue, but his dubbing is excellent and he exudes a lot of intelligence and power compared to the barbaric Mongolian we were used to seeing from so many movies. The main focus of the story, and the most interesting part of it is Jin and his relationship with the rest of the characters, especially with his uncle and villains. The story is very historically accurate and it goes into the meaning and weight of The Samurai Way, the first game I felt he did it right, in an interesting and emotional way.

Like I said, the game is an open world game that includes main missions, where you help
your friends to gain allies, and side missions, where you help individuals during the occupation like a women's village exploited by a farmer in disguise as a samurai or a man whose daughter was abducted on one of the Mongols' ships. The map also includes special missions that center on a legend from Tsushima Island that lead to tough boss battles that gain you new ability. Also, the map is full of Horizon: Zero Dawn -style Mongolian forts , criminals and Mongols at crossroads holding captives who, if rescued, will give you artifacts or event information on the map, and activities that will strengthen Gin's combat abilities. Unlike many games, I felt that the main missions and side missions were much more interesting and promoted the main story - stopping the Mongols who invaded your island, unlike other games where side missions feel cut off from the world.

Everywhere you go on your horse, which you chose at the beginning of the game and gave it its name. You can change the look of your horse saddle along with the look of gin, by finding swords in different areas of the island, collecting tribal flags and exchanging them for a new saddle, collecting flowers around the island and trading them in new colors in one of my villages, and my favorite, finding A calm point where you formulate your own haiku while looking at the landscape, which gives you a headband

These upgrades are purely cosmetic, but you can also upgrade your equipment using
materials you will find in the open world and perform bamboo challenges to strengthen your Resolve. You can also allow more amulets to be attached to your sword if you pray at the fox altars that will lead you to a fox in the forest (as shown in the State of Play ) and these amulets you will gain from various missions on the map and in the temples where you pray. While it sounds hard to find and discover, the game does provide you with aids - farmers you help will provide information about these places and songbirds will lead you to hidden secrets in the world. In addition, with each mission you complete, including the main missions, your legend will grow and you will gain experience points to upgrade your abilities.

All the activities are shown on the massive map of the game and there are many. Only the
first part of the game had a huge amount of activities and they were all fun, and to help you swallow into the game world, the developers tried to narrow down the UI view, and instead of marking with a map on the screen every moment, the wind guides you to your destination, mechanics maybe Will annoy some players, but as someone who likes a UI clean of information, I really liked the application of this in-game guidance method.

Ghost of Tsushima's battle system is quite simple but very varied and fun. Your main
weapon is the sword, with which you fight for a normal, strong blow and block against different types of Mongols - there are archery Mongols, fighters with 2 swords, with spears, with hammers and shields, and the more Mongolian leaders you destroy in the game, the more warfare techniques you will learn. Adapted to the type of enemy you are fighting, something I was happy to see because Gene's basic pose during the game always seemed a bit awkward and unrealistic to me, so I was happy to see more styles that make him feel like a more natural fighter. Also, before each battle you can open it in a confrontation with a Mongol warrior where you have to attack right a moment after he attacks you, it is a moment reminiscent of all the samurai movies of yesteryear. A successful confrontation will fill your Resolve points, along with good eliminations and attacks against the rest of the Mongols, these points allow you to heal yourself if your life has gone down too much,

Besides a sword, Jin is equipped with a dagger with which he secretly kills enemies (as opposed to the samurai way), an archery sniper on enemies with very realistic and accurate physics, even when you achieve the larger arc that allows you to shoot fire arrows, and as Jin's legend continues to grow, He learns to use additional combat accessories that help him eliminate the enemy like Kunai, smoke bombs, diversion bells and grenades, your use of these tools you can of course improve along with all the other abilities of Gin through the upgrade points you get from completing missions and increasing the legend of G Yin Bai. While I sometimes felt that certain battles could be very repetitive, the different tools and different types of enemies made it very entertaining and interesting, and there is no doubt that the game can be very challenging and difficult if you do not utilize all of Gin's abilities. Yes I found some of the fight a bit stiff and inaccurate, but for the most part the fight and stealth options along with the eliminations allow a lot of freedom and ability to define your playing style

The only thing that disappointed me in the battle and the warfare of the Mongols who
invaded the island is that apart from the main villain of the game, there are no really interesting Mongolian characters. There are a lot of interesting Japanese characters and great Japanese legends that really immerse you into the period and place of the game, but I would like to meet more interesting Mongolian bosses. If the game had applied mechanics similar to the Nemesis System of the game Shadow of War, it could have made any confrontation with the Mongols more diverse and meaningful. Despite this, the battle feels weighty and part of what has happened in the past on the Japanese island.

Ghost of Tsushima not only respects the true history of the island, but also the general
history of the samurai media, whether it's the shooting angles, English and Japanese dubbing for the characters, and concentrating on one samurai versus slim chances, reminiscent of the samurai movies of yesteryear A show mode inspired by legendary director Akira Kurosawa, who turns the entire game show into black and white with a dirty effect, is great for old movie buffs among us.

But even if you do decide to keep the game's regular graphics, this is one of the most
beautiful games of this generation. The light, texture and reflection effects bring to life some of the most stunning views I have seen so far on the PlayStation 4, even more so than most of the views in Horizon: Zero Dawn. Combine with all this great animation of the characters, both in body and face, precise and emotional dubbing, and a breathtaking Japanese soundtrack, and this is without a doubt one last exclusive exclusive game for Sony's successful console.

Ghost of Tsushima is another great open world game from Sucker Punch

While the battle system can be a bit stiff and I would like more variety and depth in the enemies, it is still an amazing game in terms of gameplay, visuals and story with a busy and lively world, which is the biggest attraction of the game, each mission and place feel important and interesting. The Ghost of Tsushima for the ultimate samurai game, which came to close us the generation in a big way

Ec2FaohWsAEOyvj

THEAP99

Banned
Now, towards the end of the generation, just before we move to PlayStation 5, the studio decided to take us back to the island in Japan during the Mongol invasion with Ghost of Tsushima, in the first game of this generation that takes place in ancient Japan (after Nioh and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice ) which includes A huge and accurate open world. But does that mean it's interesting and fun to play? Keep reading and find out.

The game opens with an epic battle on the shores of Kedma between the samurai forces and the Mongol invasion as you play the protagonist of the game Gin Sakai. After a hard fight that sees the loss of the samurai and the capture of your aunt, the leader of the island, you wake up and are treated by a warrior named Jonah. You make a failed attempt to save your uncle once again from the Mongol leader, one of the descendants of Genghis Khan named Cotton Khan (and an excellent villain by the way), and you now open up to the beautiful land of Tsushima as you try to gather and strengthen aids to save your uncle from captivity and put End the Mongol invasion before you cover his entire island and call your home

I will not go into too much detail on what happens next, but it is a pretty simple and direct
story, but with very kind and complex characters. The villain of the game may be a bit generic with his dialogue, but his dubbing is excellent and he exudes a lot of intelligence and power compared to the barbaric Mongolian we were used to seeing from so many movies. The main focus of the story, and the most interesting part of it is Jin and his relationship with the rest of the characters, especially with his uncle and villains. The story is very historically accurate and it goes into the meaning and weight of The Samurai Way, the first game I felt he did it right, in an interesting and emotional way.

Like I said, the game is an open world game that includes main missions, where you help
your friends to gain allies, and side missions, where you help individuals during the occupation like a women's village exploited by a farmer in disguise as a samurai or a man whose daughter was abducted on one of the Mongols' ships. The map also includes special missions that center on a legend from Tsushima Island that lead to tough boss battles that gain you new ability. Also, the map is full of Horizon: Zero Dawn -style Mongolian forts , criminals and Mongols at crossroads holding captives who, if rescued, will give you artifacts or event information on the map, and activities that will strengthen Gin's combat abilities. Unlike many games, I felt that the main missions and side missions were much more interesting and promoted the main story - stopping the Mongols who invaded your island, unlike other games where side missions feel cut off from the world.

Everywhere you go on your horse, which you chose at the beginning of the game and gave it its name. You can change the look of your horse saddle along with the look of gin, by finding swords in different areas of the island, collecting tribal flags and exchanging them for a new saddle, collecting flowers around the island and trading them in new colors in one of my villages, and my favorite, finding A calm point where you formulate your own haiku while looking at the landscape, which gives you a headband

These upgrades are purely cosmetic, but you can also upgrade your equipment using
materials you will find in the open world and perform bamboo challenges to strengthen your Resolve. You can also allow more amulets to be attached to your sword if you pray at the fox altars that will lead you to a fox in the forest (as shown in the State of Play ) and these amulets you will gain from various missions on the map and in the temples where you pray. While it sounds hard to find and discover, the game does provide you with aids - farmers you help will provide information about these places and songbirds will lead you to hidden secrets in the world. In addition, with each mission you complete, including the main missions, your legend will grow and you will gain experience points to upgrade your abilities.

All the activities are shown on the massive map of the game and there are many. Only the
first part of the game had a huge amount of activities and they were all fun, and to help you swallow into the game world, the developers tried to narrow down the UI view, and instead of marking with a map on the screen every moment, the wind guides you to your destination, mechanics maybe Will annoy some players, but as someone who likes a UI clean of information, I really liked the application of this in-game guidance method.

Ghost of Tsushima's battle system is quite simple but very varied and fun. Your main
weapon is the sword, with which you fight for a normal, strong blow and block against different types of Mongols - there are archery Mongols, fighters with 2 swords, with spears, with hammers and shields, and the more Mongolian leaders you destroy in the game, the more warfare techniques you will learn. Adapted to the type of enemy you are fighting, something I was happy to see because Gene's basic pose during the game always seemed a bit awkward and unrealistic to me, so I was happy to see more styles that make him feel like a more natural fighter. Also, before each battle you can open it in a confrontation with a Mongol warrior where you have to attack right a moment after he attacks you, it is a moment reminiscent of all the samurai movies of yesteryear. A successful confrontation will fill your Resolve points, along with good eliminations and attacks against the rest of the Mongols, these points allow you to heal yourself if your life has gone down too much,

Besides a sword, Jin is equipped with a dagger with which he secretly kills enemies (as opposed to the samurai way), an archery sniper on enemies with very realistic and accurate physics, even when you achieve the larger arc that allows you to shoot fire arrows, and as Jin's legend continues to grow, He learns to use additional combat accessories that help him eliminate the enemy like Kunai, smoke bombs, diversion bells and grenades, your use of these tools you can of course improve along with all the other abilities of Gin through the upgrade points you get from completing missions and increasing the legend of G Yin Bai. While I sometimes felt that certain battles could be very repetitive, the different tools and different types of enemies made it very entertaining and interesting, and there is no doubt that the game can be very challenging and difficult if you do not utilize all of Gin's abilities. Yes I found some of the fight a bit stiff and inaccurate, but for the most part the fight and stealth options along with the eliminations allow a lot of freedom and ability to define your playing style

The only thing that disappointed me in the battle and the warfare of the Mongols who
invaded the island is that apart from the main villain of the game, there are no really interesting Mongolian characters. There are a lot of interesting Japanese characters and great Japanese legends that really immerse you into the period and place of the game, but I would like to meet more interesting Mongolian bosses. If the game had applied mechanics similar to the Nemesis System of the game Shadow of War, it could have made any confrontation with the Mongols more diverse and meaningful. Despite this, the battle feels weighty and part of what has happened in the past on the Japanese island.

Ghost of Tsushima not only respects the true history of the island, but also the general
history of the samurai media, whether it's the shooting angles, English and Japanese dubbing for the characters, and concentrating on one samurai versus slim chances, reminiscent of the samurai movies of yesteryear A show mode inspired by legendary director Akira Kurosawa, who turns the entire game show into black and white with a dirty effect, is great for old movie buffs among us.

But even if you do decide to keep the game's regular graphics, this is one of the most
beautiful games of this generation. The light, texture and reflection effects bring to life some of the most stunning views I have seen so far on the PlayStation 4, even more so than most of the views in Horizon: Zero Dawn. Combine with all this great animation of the characters, both in body and face, precise and emotional dubbing, and a breathtaking Japanese soundtrack, and this is without a doubt one last exclusive exclusive game for Sony's successful console.

While the battle system can be a bit stiff and I would like more variety and depth in the enemies, it is still an amazing game in terms of gameplay, visuals and story with a busy and lively world, which is the biggest attraction of the game, each mission and place feel important and interesting. The Ghost of Tsushima for the ultimate samurai game, which came to close us the generation in a big way

Ec2FaohWsAEOyvj
This same reviewer rated Predator Hunting Grounds a 7.1/10 while that game got a 56/100 on metacritic. So I would not take his review as something to expect from general consensus for Ghost of Tsushima.

THEAP99

Banned
Ec2FvSOX0AESzxP
Ec2FmX4XgAE-GV-

Ec2FaohWsAEOyvj
Ec2Fi3HXYAYoXrE
Ec2FlL5WsAAO4i_
Ec2Fs8tWkBEVfMK
Ec2FmX4XgAE-GV-
Ec2FqkkXkAUkBO5
Ec2Fr39XkAAc2X2
Ec2FuWYWoAI4yzU
Ec2FvSOX0AESzxP

THEAP99

Banned
https://www.gamalive.com/test/2145-test-ghost-of-tsushima-ps4-avis-critique.htm Another leaked Ghost of Tsushima review:
A poor man's assassins creed 2.5/5
"We expected so much more... In the end we have a huge playground, huge playtime, but everything else is just average. Badly though out, badly exploited, badly handled, and at times uninteresting. Playability is poorly calibrated, poorly done... repetitive, missing depth in the gameplay as much as in the story. We never feel any real implication."

THEAP99

Banned
Infamous 2nd Son scored an 80/100 (2014).

Suckerpunch's highest-rated game: Sly 2 scored an 88/100 (2004).

Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) scored 87/100 (2018).

#GhostofTsushima will not top Spider-Man PS4, it will score in-between 80-86.

Ghost of Tsushima will score, an 83/100

Top Bottom