• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got scammed, feel like shit :(

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I arranged to meet up with this person from kijiji (its craglist of canada), I always try to do safe transaction. So daylight, and good location and always bring 1-2 buddy with me. In this case, she called us at the apartment lobby. So that seems safe to me, lot of people going in and out.

Anyways, so we reach there, and the phone was sealed (galaxy s21) weight felt good with receipt. ofc the imei number on the box matched with the receipt. We insisted to have it open, she said once its broken, you have to buy it. I said ofc, if the phone is good and working i am buying it. So she actually opened the box (I applaud her confidence), showed me the phone in her hand and actually turned it on. the Samsung logo and bootup came up. silly me who didn't take it from her hand and observed it further.

I hand her the money and left. As soon as we sit in the car. I take the phone out and immediately felt something was wrong. Screen seems cheap, after further inspection camera were fake. And ofc she just disappeared somewhere in the building. Didn't pick up my phone either. I felt sick to my stomach.

TDLR

got scammed $1000 CAD, replica version of S21. Never again buying anything like this. I am sad GAF, really really sad. And there is nothing I can do.

I am going to police station to report it, but obviously not expecting any outcome. I have reported the kijiji ad as scam.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
yourself GIF

BeforeU

You knew the building she was in and you didnt call the police on the phone right awa

What is the upside to purchasing things this way as opposed to going to the store? How much would the phone have been if you had bought it at a store?
I was saving $300...people buy phones in contract and sell it. This is my 5-6th purchase over last 12 years or so

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only thing I've ever bought on Craigslist/Kijiji (I've never used eBay), is an Ikea steel frame table and some old hard to find DVDs sets. I think the table was $40 and the DVDs were $30 for 5 seasons! When I got to the DVD house I could tell she was moving and just getting rid of shit.

Thats as far as I go trusting people.

The Ikea table didn't even include all the screws as he sold it to me unassembled and had the screws and shit in a plastic bag. Not a big deal as I have screws at home to use. But even for a shitty table frame I couldn't even get the complete set.

Although maybe eBay is safe as they have some kind of guarantee if it's a sham.

Last edited:

McCheese

That fucking sucks OP, you have to just tell yourself karma will balance it out somehow.

Hope you get your good luck soon!

:messenger_fistbump:

Last edited:

T8SC

Gold Member
As harsh as this will no doubt sound, but if you cant afford the $300 extra to buy from a legitimate source (Like a shop/online retailer) then keep saving or risk shit like this happening.

I know which option I'd choose.

BeforeU

Got scammed multiple times. work tools for my house, screens for my PC. all minor stuff below the 200 bucks tho.

Feels like shit for a day or two then u move on.

That fucking sucks OP, you have to just tell yourself karma will balance it out somehow.

Hope you get your good luck soon!

:messenger_fistbump:

Don't feel bad, it happens to a lot of people. Worst feeling ever.

Thanks guys. Just trying to forget this whole thing and looking for a silver lining lol and fuck that scammer.

SoulTas

Neo Member
If i had 1000$ to spend on a phone, i could afford the extra 300$ to buy it from a legit store and get a warranty and all that shit.

I know this doesn't make you feel better OP but see it as you spend that amount of money to buy a life changing experience that will benefit you greatly in the future. Pretty sire you are much wiser now. Other people may have spent way more for the same lesson.

down 2 orth

I've encountered people who do that kind of stuff, and as much as you want to shove their face into a wall, they're living in their own kind of hell. Try not to stress it OP, the cycle of kindness is much more rewarding.

Kenpachii

Thanks guys. Just trying to forget this whole thing and looking for a silver lining lol and fuck that scammer.

Oh it can go far worse men. friend of mine had a laptop that was like 3 grand that he won from some show. he ended up selling it for like 2k as it was brand new in the box still. Some girl wanted to pick it up so he gave his home address. one guy showed up at the door and stated he was there to pick up a laptop for his sister, she confirmed it through sms.

He opened the door, got his head smashed in, another guy came out of the car smashed his head in even further destroyed half of his shit in his home in search for money and took his girlfriends jewerly. ( he broke his eye socket / nose / few teeth gone, jaw broken ) basically they just slaughtered him. His girlfriend came home at the same time which made those shitters panic, they bailed out of the house straight towards her, any threatened her while robbing her with "any message to the police, we know where u life its going to be the end of you".

Fucking awesome man.

months of recovery, moved because didn't feel safe anymore, fucking trauma. And that all for a fucking laptop.

Another one.

Neightbour of mine also got hit by 2 douchebags, some girl and guy showed up to buy his laptop 1,5k or something. Everything seemed fine, they didn't had cash with them because everything goes through apps now. They showcased them on there mobile they wrote the money over which took a day at the time to actually show up. They got the laptop and walked out. Obviously money was never transferred and bye bye laptop.

Then some real next gen scamming in the next one and last one:

In short, some shitter started up a company and hired people never paid them, did it on a whole bunch of empty promises. Made a dad of a friend of mine co-owner ( he didn't know anything about the company, but got flattered into it and he needed work badly after a few months being out of work ), the guy that started the company basically pushed massive loans, did all kinds of jobs with the company banked the cash but never really delivered the work. used his dad ( dad of that friend of mine ) as advertisement tool and face of the company and made him ceo of his shitty 8 man strong company.

He then funneled all the money out of the company through his brothers new found company that he hired for insane amounts of fee think about 3000 euro's a hour. Everybody in the company where not paid for a long time probably up to a year. Then the shitter dropped the company without his dad knowledge as he really has no clue what was going on and this was proven entirely on him. so no the company all its debts and tons of angry people started to sue his ass and that all in the span of a month or two.

He lost his house / everything he owned, 3 years poverty etc. After he attempted suicide a year in and i told my dad about it. As my dad kinda had a lot of disposable income at the time. he basically took large of his debt away and legal problems by buying it off for him, and basically arranged a job for him in a company he often visited. Fast forwards they are best friends now so that worked well out for both of them as my dad was kinda bored to shit mostly. he often visits them and the other way around also.

So even for the guy, it ended pretty well at the end but yea.

I would say honestly, be happy its 1k in cash and nothing else happened. Some of those fucks are some real next level trash cans. They can give you a real mobile, follow your ass and rob you in your own house straight after it.

Could very well be she wasn't alone there even remotely and some gang was right next towards her scouting u out.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Oh it can go far worse men. friend of mine had a laptop that was like 3 grand that he won from some show. he ended up selling it for like 2k as it was brand new in the box still. Some girl wanted to pick it up so he gave his home address. one guy showed up at the door and stated he was there to pick up a laptop for his sister, she confirmed it through sms.

He opened the door, got his head smashed in, another guy came out of the car smashed his head in even further destroyed half of his shit in his home in search for money and took his girlfriends jewerly. ( he broke his eye socket / nose / few teeth gone, jaw broken ) basically they just slaughtered him. His girlfriend came home at the same time which made those shitters panic, they bailed out of the house straight towards her, any threatened her while robbing her with "any message to the police, we know where u life its going to be the end of you".

Fucking awesome man.

months of recovery, moved because didn't feel safe anymore, fucking trauma. And that all for a fucking laptop.

Another one.

Neightbour of mine also got hit by 2 douchebags, some girl and guy showed up to buy his laptop 1,5k or something. Everything seemed fine, they didn't had cash with them because everything goes through apps now. They showcased them on there mobile they wrote the money over which took a day at the time to actually show up. They got the laptop and walked out. Obviously money was never transferred and bye bye laptop.

In short, some shitter started up a company and hired people never paid them, did it on a whole bunch of empty promises. Made a dad of a friend of mine co-owner ( he didn't know anything about the company, but got flattered into it and he needed work badly after a few months being out of work ), the guy that started the company basically pushed massive loans, did all kinds of jobs with the company banked the cash but never really delivered the work. used his dad ( dad of that friend of mine ) as advertisement tool and face of the company and made him ceo of his shitty 8 man strong company.

He then funneled all the money out of the company through his brothers new found company that he hired for insane amounts of fee think about 3000 euro's a hour. Everybody in the company where not paid for a long time probably up to a year. Then the shitter dropped the company without his dad knowledge as he really has no clue what was going on and this was proven entirely on him. so no the company all its debts and tons of angry people started to sue his ass and that all in the span of a month or two.

He lost his house / everything he owned, 3 years poverty etc. After he attempted suicide a year in and i told my dad about it. As my dad kinda had a lot of disposable income at the time. he basically took large of his debt away and legal problems by buying it off for him, and basically arranged a job for him in a company he often visited. Fast forwards they are best friends now so that worked well out for both of them as my dad was kinda bored to shit mostly. he often visits them and the other way around also.

I would say honestly, be happy its 1k in cash and nothing else happened. Some of those fucks are some real next level trash cans. They can give you a real mobile, follow your ass and rob you in your own house straight after it.
iB8aGww.gif

Mohonky

Fucking awesome man.

Another one.

Could very well be she wasn't alone there even remotely and some gang was right next towards her scouting u out.
Jesus christ, what pieces of shit.

Tschumi

Don't beat yourself up, you tried to hoodwink the system and lost. Took a risk. These things happen... Use proper websites like Amazon or ebay in future...

Anecdote:

Eve Online. I spammed that i was looking for a cargo hauling corp, said i had a freighter that I'd just saved up for and all the necessary skills.

Some guy contacts me, makes me do his corp's application process, tells me he'll haul all my stuff into low sec for me, tells me packaging my hauler (a 1.2km long ship) will allow him to transport it in his. Tells me to go to a system like 120 jumps into low sec.

I give him my stuff and tell him I'll do the journey tomorrow. Log back in the next day, whisper him that I'm on the way and I'm excited.. he doesn't reply. I persist a bit and he says "er, i scammed you, I've sold all your stuff".

I take it with a rueful chuckle. I'm about 70 jumps into low sec at that point and i never see my old home station again before quitting the game.

Thus spake two thousand and nine.

~fin~

Pidull

I got scammed on an OG Xbox once, felt stupid about it. Eventually got over it.

Scariest I had was when I thought my wife and I got scammed on selling our vehicle for $9k. She had called the lending agent for the buyer directly based on the business card the buyer handed us, and hadn't verified the loan by calling the bank first and then asking for the agent. I freaked out that she called some bogus agent because my stupid fucking bank flagged the check we were given as fraudulent.

My bank never notified me the check was "fraudulent" until I called 3 weeks after selling to inquire why the pending $9k deposit had suddenly vanished from my deposit list altogether. When I found out they worked with the other bank that cut the cashier's check frequently and never contacted them about the "fraudulent" check, and that the check was 100% legit, I was PISSED.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Phones are supposed to be bought through retailers and try to have them operate the device in front of you before buying, public McDonald’s have wifi range I actually bought a used Alienware and got it demo’d in front of me you’re supposed to test before buying.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Go to the police station and file a police report, being sure to show them the counterfeit/fake phone and box. It may have fingerprints still on it from her. Take it serious. Don't laugh or joke around or they'll think you aren't serious. You may not be the only victim and your case could be a part of a larger network/ring. If you have house/apartment insurance, see if theft is covered. If so, figure something out.. Anyway, more than likely she/they will do it to another, again. She'll probably go through the money in a few days and have an urge to keep doing it. Keep an eye out for another ad. Look for similar wordage and when you find the ad, immediately notify the police. Let them set something up to catch her. It's not worth getting into a tussle with street trash. The less criminals know about you, the better. Also, don't use selling platforms which have minimal safeguards, checks and balances in place.

99Luffy

Banned
Normally Id say live and learn but you know where she lives. Call the police and have them go through security cameras.

Go to the police station and file a police report, being sure to show them the counterfeit/fake phone and box. It may have fingerprints still on it from her. Take it serious. Don't laugh or joke around or they'll think you aren't serious. You may not be the only victim and your case could be a part of a larger network/ring. If you have house/apartment insurance, see if theft is covered. If so, figure something out.. Anyway, more than likely she/they will do it to another, again. She'll probably go through the money in a few days and have an urge to keep doing it. Keep an eye out for another ad. Look for similar wordage and when you find the ad, immediately notify the police. Let them set something up to catch her. It's not worth getting into a tussle with street trash. The less criminals know about you, the better. Also, don't use selling platforms which have minimal safeguards, checks and balances in place.

If you have house/apartment insurance, see if theft is covered. If so, figure something out..

Wait...hold up. The dude gets scammed and one of your solutions is to pay the scam forward? To his insurance company no less. You're suggesting he commit insurance fraud?

Wait...hold up. The dude gets scammed and one of your solutions is to pay the scam forward? To his insurance company no less. You're suggesting he commit insurance fraud?
Theft is covered under house insurance, or in most cases it is. If it's in the complex it could be argued that it's covered. And it's not suggesting fraud, it's "See if theft is covered." Very different.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Insurance companies are the biggest fucking thieves out there. Nothing wrong with trying to see what's covered and what's not. Most likely they won't cover it but doesn't hurt to inquire.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Man, that's a good point. Imagine having no remorse and coming up on 1k that easily. You're sure to chase that high again right after, I'd think.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Man, that's a good point. Imagine having no remorse and coming up on 1k that easily. You're sure to chase that high again right after, I'd think.

People that can sink that low are used to being that low. They live in it. Breathe it. Feel it. They've become "good" at what they do. It's obvious the lady knew what she was doing, it wasn't her first rodeo (scam). Even so much as to take the item out of it's box for a moment. She read the victim like an open book, like instinct. She's a trained scammer. So if a moment was to arise where she/they could do it again, she would. And she'll/they'll keep doing it until they're caught.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

The silver lining is that you've learned a lesson and will be more cautious in the future. Yeah a grand is a lot to lose on this but many people don't learn this kind of lesson before they get taken for considerably more (car, home, life savings).

Remember the pain, take a little time to consider what you could have done better and then consider the money to be invested into a very valuable learning experience that provides perspective that you didn't have before and will serve you well later in life.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Ya gotta due dilegence proportional to the value of the purchase.

I sold a couple stuff and you really get a couple dirt bags. So just go in with the assumption they're bad. And if something seems off just stop all contact

Last edited:
Top Bottom