• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Governor Greitens screws over St. Louis. Allows minimum wage to go from $10 to $7.70

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/st-louis-minimum-wage-will-revert-back-to-in-august/article_0428b488-d4e2-5778-895b-f44ad92cc65a.html

The minimum wage in St. Louis will revert to $7.70 an hour on Aug. 28, with Gov. Eric Greitens announcing on Friday that he will allow a bill blocking the city’s increase to become law without his signature.

When the Legislature sends the governor a bill, he has several options. He can sign it, veto it or take the middle course — without action before a constitutional deadline, the bill automatically takes effect.

The bill in question bans local minimum wages, requiring all cities and municipalities in Missouri to stick to the statewide standard.

Minimum wage workers in St. Louis are currently making $10 an hour, after winning a two-year legal fight against business groups who challenged a 2015 city ordinance authorizing an increase.

Under that city law, the wage was set to rise again in January 2018 to $11 an hour, then increase annually with inflation.

“It will kill jobs,” Greitens said of the increase. “And despite what you hear from liberals, it will take money out of people’s pockets.”

Sucks to be retail in St. Louis.

“I disapprove of the way politicians handled this,” Greitens said. “That’s why I won’t be signing my name to their bill.”

You wont sign it because youre a cowardly piece of shit.

Lol at his rationale. I'm amazed politicians get away with shit like this. If you're going to be against something have the courage to do it based on your principles. If you have any.

NewFresh

Will anyone really buy that he isn't technically giving this the OK?

like, as a voter you have to look at this and say, he is signing off on this.

Lol at his rationale. I'm amazed politicians get away with shit like this. If you're going to be against something have the courage to do it based on your principles. If you have any.

He has no principles. He also vetoed a bill today that would stop 8000 elderly and disabled people from losing their medical care due to his budget.

I wish people would understand how ridiculous they sound blaming everything on liberals, like they're some sort of Boogeyman. They've become the new millennials.

I hope liberal White Man Palette Swap Jason Kander can replace this piece of shit White Man Palette Swap in 2020. How could anyone with a conscience accept - sorry, "refuse to veto" - a bill knowing it will immediately consign thousands of people to even worse poverty?

JohnsonUT

It's weird that the party that is all about "government is more effective at the local level" is not allowing local groups of citizens to decide their own rules. For another example of this, see Texas.

What was the statistics on the effects of the raised wage? Interested in Seattle as well since all I've seen are GOPstans citing Fox articles on FB. Not sure of the best/most reliable place to look if there's anything on either out there.

This guy is saying "it will...it will...." It will when? If that was the problem, why hasn't the money already left people's pockets? Why aren't jobs suffering or dying already?

And yes, those damn dirty liberals. Even when having barely any ability to change anything, they are still somehow the fault of every problem. Well, except the problems caused by brown or black people, but of course they're liberals too. Except the good ones of course.

Republicans, if you hate that people take your tax dollars through welfare, why don't you just pay people who work full time enough to survive? Oh yeah, because you only care about making sure the rich get richer.

rjinaz

Well the gov is right. It will take money out of American pockets.

Somebody needs to think of the CEOs and the wealthy suits out there. Finally.

EMT0

Banned
Sounds like something a State's Rights advocate would fight tooth and nail agai-oh wait, right. That'd be against the purpose of State's Rights.

This is the same state and Governor considering legislation that would allow discrimination of women who use birth control or have abortions - http://www.nationalmemo.com/missouri-women-using-birth-control-denied-employment/
Missouri’s Senate is considering legislation that would allow employers and landlords to discriminate against women who use birth control or have had abortions. The bill, which has the support of the state’s governor, Eric Greitens, was approved by the Missouri House Tuesday.
Add this too and they all sound like right cunts to me.

Top Bottom