• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri GOP passes bill banning cities from raising their minimum wage

Tigress

It may be unpopular, but it makes logical sense if you think about it.

Imagine you have a store owner and he initially hired one person at $7.00/hr to run the cash register.

But if we remove the minimum wage, then that same store owner can hire 7 people to work at $1/hr on that same cash register.

Sure, wages are lower, but getting $1/hr hour is still better than getting zero dollars per hour, and on top of that, unemployment goes down.

Everybody wins.

I thought you were being facetious but it seems other people think are you being serious?

mashoutposse

Ante Up
The principle of supply and demand applies to labor. Raising the minimum wage literally forces businesses to pay people more than their skills are worth. Past a certain level, it's political gimmickry and counterproductive.

Businesses don't simply absorb the cost with no downstream effects. Taxpayers end up paying for it one way or another.

-Businesses hire less/replace workers with technology. Young people starting out are especially hurt by this.
-Businesses increase the cost of their goods/services to compensate.
-Businesses maintain end user pricing and report lower profits, directly harming tax revenue.
-Businesses close/relocate due to insufficient return on the capital. Complete loss of jobs and tax revenue.

You can probably make a million dollars fast by building a touchscreen POS (point of sale) for fast food drivethrus that allows you to order and swipe your credit card from your car and licensing the system for $1500/month per location. No health care to provide, no payroll taxes to pay, never late to work, no turnover/training, no loss prevention issues, can get rid of at least one human employee. That's an easy sell that gets easier as the minimum wage goes up.

Damaniel

Banned
This wouldn't piss off more of the smaller cities in the states that are red? I don't understand how poor Republicans are against raising the minimum wage.[/IMG]

As long as it hurts black people more than white people, and is suggested by a party that promises to save the babies, then those poor Republicans will let them do anything they want.

BigDug13

The principle of supply and demand applies to labor. Raising the minimum wage literally forces businesses to pay people more than their skills are worth. Past a certain level, it's political gimmickry and counterproductive.

Businesses don't simply absorb the cost with no downstream effects. Taxpayers end up paying for it one way or another.

-Businesses hire less/replace workers with technology. Young people starting out are especially hurt by this.
-Businesses maintain end user pricing and report lower profits, directly harming tax revenue.
-Businesses close/relocate due to insufficient return on the capital. Complete loss of jobs and tax revenue.

You can probably make a million dollars fast by building a touchscreen POS (point of sale) for fast food drivethrus that allows you to order and swipe your credit card from your car and licensing the system for $1500/month per location. No health care to provide, no payroll taxes to pay, never late to work, no turnover/training, no loss prevention issues, can get rid of at least one human employee. That's an easy sell that gets easier as the minimum wage goes up.

Well raising minimum wage won't really slow down tech replacing people. It's merely a bandaid to the future where there will most definitely not be enough jobs for people.

But let's focus on getting those coal jobs back and let's make sure that we let companies keep exploiting the labor they have before the robots take those jobs.

GOOD.

The closer we get to automation and basic income, the better.

Humans shouldn't have to waste their life doing shitty work.

But until that time, people are dying. People are starving. People are living on the streets. And those same mother fuckers making sure this happens to these people are the ones making sure they're downtrodden, oppressed, and unable to access the same education and privileges of others. Therefore they never escape.

Fuck. These. Evil. Mother. Fuckers.

Don't you dare defend them.

Nikodemos

This measure is also intended to stop Repub voter drain. When wages are substantially higher in cities, many small towns experience people drain. When people move to larger cities, their views slowly start skewing less conservative. These two combined cause Repub votes to go down. By keeping the minimum wage low, they pad their votes in the next elections.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
And then burger flippers make almost as much money as me and that's not fair!
Somebody actually said this to me the other day. I can't believe there are people out there who are so... I don't even know the how to describe it... Jealous of their social status? That they can't think of how wages affect others, and only want to make sure that they're making more than someone else. As if a mom with four kids and no partner doesn't deserve to support her self and her children because she can't find a better job.

mr_nexus

Banned
bnH0P7e.jpg

The principle of supply and demand applies to labor. Raising the minimum wage literally forces businesses to pay people more than their skills are worth.
If a person can't make enough money off a job to survive off it than the job shouldn't exist. It's not worth doing and is a waste of everyone''s time.

pa22word

Somebody actually said this to me the other day. I can't believe there are people out there who are so... I don't even know the how to describe it... Jealous of their social status? That they can't think of how wages affect others, and only want to make sure that they're making more than someone else. As if a mom with four kids and no partner doesn't deserve to support her self and her children because she can't find a better job.

C78RK9P.gif

Would just like to add that my state has like ten black people and the state legislature still passes ghoulish shit like this all the time, including this specific kind of legislation.

GOP just hates everyone.

Also they fucking made it illegal to tax plastic bags when my municipality was looking into the idea, which is like top tier pettiness.

Local control of schools so Jim Bob can get "both sides" of the evolution "debate" taught to Little Sally, state control of what local governments can do to meet the needs of their citizens.

Fuck this party.

Kremzeek

If a person can't make enough money off a job to survive off it than the job shouldn't exist. It's not worth doing and is a waste of everyone''s time.

Yeah that's kind of my feeling too.
If a job doesn't pay enough for someone to even afford the basics then what is the fucking point.

This law is so evil, anti-human and anti-Christian.

digdug2k

Small government
Heh. "I'm sick of the government telling me what to do (but I'm fine with it telling other people what I want them to do)."

I wasn't a huge fan of the nation-wide minimum wage increases precisely because I like cities/states doing it themselves. Like, its more expensive to live in cities. Also, how the fuck can we not just pass something that ties the minimum wage to inflation at least at this point? Oh yeah, our country is run by fuckwits who live in shitsville towns because we gave them all extra votes since we were so concerned they might not have enough influence without it.

Businesses collude on wages.
Businesses are always increasing their costs with inflation as a baseline. Not because of wages, but because that and a variety of factors including wages.
Automation has reduced labor costs, supply costs, and reduces the impact of reshoring. Wages can't fuck with automation. We can't fuck with other geographies.

As you can see it's not just supply and demand, a lot factors into it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is like the law we got in Michigan banning a tax on plastic bags at stores. (Specifically aimed at Ann Arbor, we're like a liberal blue bubble, along with Detroit, in a red state).

Republicans are for local control. Except when it is municpal broadband, the environment, minimum wage, right for LGBT, etc. Then all the sudden big government is absolutely needed.
The outstanding hypocrisy of it all is what really makes me furious.

scitek

My rent in downtown St. Louis is over $1500 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment. I don't know how the fuck even $10 an hour would've been a livable wage.

TarNaru33

Banned
My rent in downtown St. Louis is over $1500 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment. I don't know how the fuck even $10 an hour would've been a livable wage.

Only possible if you live with someone and even then, its still not a great living wage.

This is why I disagree with anyone saying "it needs to be local" over a federal minimum wage increase to $12. The places that are used to $7.25 will just have to eat it and adapt (rural life is dying anyways), majority of people in this country live in urban areas anyways and that is where economical growth is growing and they adapt to technological changes.

The minimum wage needs to be increased federally because there are many pockets of Republicans in red states, blocking cities from increasing their own minimum wage to a living standard.

Also I'd like to point out that there is in fact touchscreen POS's in every fast food restaurant right now.

It's called the cash register and people are paid to learn how to use it quickly because if they relied on the customers themselves to do their orders service would slow to a crawl and business would implode.

Top Bottom