• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri GOP passes bill banning cities from raising their minimum wage

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Cities can't raise their minimum wages higher than the state's rate ($7.70 an hour).

I searched a few terms and didn't see a thread.

A long-awaited $10 minimum wage in St. Louis may prove short-lived, as Missouri lawmakers on Friday sent a bill banning local minimum wages to the governor with minutes left to spare in the legislative session.

But not before Senate Democrats put up a fight, with a lengthy filibuster earlier in the week and a wide-ranging series of procedural moves Friday in a futile attempt to block a vote on the bill.

They managed to stall its final passage for more than two hours but couldn’t prevent final passage.

“We’re not going to follow the rules if you don’t follow the rules,” Sen. Jamilah Nasheed, D-St. Louis, told Republicans on the floor. Nasheed has been a vocal opponent of the legislation, arguing that cities have the right to determine a living wage for their residents.

St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson released a statement calling the passage “a setback for working families” and vowing to “work with others to get an increase in the (statewide) minimum wage on the ballot since our state Legislature won’t address it.”

“Every city and town in our state does not have the same issues, needs or economy. A big city frequently has different problems than a very small one,” she said in the statement.

Republicans contend the measure is necessary for the sake of consistency, saying a patchwork of different minimum wage laws throughout the state would be burdensome to Missouri businesses.

Derwind

Republicans contend the measure is necessary for the sake of consistency, saying a patchwork of different minimum wage laws throughout the state would be burdensome to Missouri businesses.

Oh fuck off.... then how about helping offset the costs of living for people in your state. For the sake of consistency of course.

Volimar

How can they even say this with a straight face?

This wouldn't piss off more of the smaller cities in the states that are red? I don't understand how poor Republicans are against raising the minimum wage.

For context, here is the 2016 election breakdown to see how the different areas lean

390px-United_States_presidential_election_in_Missouri%2C_2016.svg.png

MarionCB

How the fuck do Republicans keep getting elected? It's like the greatest con job ever pulled and it just keeps going.

This wouldn't piss off more of the smaller cities in the states that are red? I don't understand how poor Republicans are against raising the minimum wage.

For context, here is the 2016 election breakdown to see how the different areas lean

No, this bill is specifically and entirely targeted at Saint Louis City (otherwise known as Abortion Sanctuary City, Missouri) which is the only city in the state that raised the minimum wage recently (to $10).

Mathieran

Banned
Conservatives love to say local government is the best government but only when it is something that they agree with. Otherwise big government is free to intervene.

Because if you raise the minimum wage, everything just gets more expensive and then it doesn't matter! And then burger flippers make almost as much money as me and that's not fair!

/s

Averon

And people will continue to re-elected these same people back into office year after year.

The American voter is a glutton for punishment, it seems.

Nearly 1.6 million Missourians voted for this. (Trump got more of their votes than anyone in that states history. That says... a lot.).

mortal

Gold Member
Man, that is some evil ass shit.

How can you have a class hierarchy if the common person is living relatively well from a 9-5, am I right?

The Missouri Legislature has passed this same legislation twice in the past (that I can recall), but they keep screwing up how they do it and it keeps getting challenged in court.

HeatBoost

Considering that the cost of living is probably pretty fucking significantly different between St. Louis and Bugfuck MIssouri, this strikes me as kinda... something that should be illegal, maybe.

Like, I wouldn't expect the lowest tier jobs in San Francisco and Alturas to pay the same. Am I crazy here?

Slayven

And when poverty spikes, they're just gonna tell em to pull themselves up by the bootstraps. Goddamn this party.

Between shit like this and healthcare hard to believe they are not trying to kill their base. Like this fucks over people in the short term, but when folks start dying or able to dip what they going do?

Considering that the cost of living is probably pretty fucking significantly different between St. Louis and Bugfuck MIssouri, this strikes me as kinda... something that should be illegal, maybe.

Like, I wouldn't expect the lowest tier jobs in San Francisco and Alturas to pay the same. Am I crazy here?

Imagine working for $7.70 an hour in the city... That's a disgrace, and hell, I can't imagine that's a livable wage anywhere, but people will still vote against their interest.

Is it even legal to specifically ban Cities from raising minimum wage? Like wouldn't that be struck down by the state court unless it also bans towns from doing the same?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It may be unpopular, but it makes logical sense if you think about it.

Imagine you have a store owner and he initially hired one person at $7.00/hr to run the cash register.

But if we remove the minimum wage, then that same store owner can hire 7 people to work at $1/hr on that same cash register.

Sure, wages are lower, but getting $1/hr hour is still better than getting zero dollars per hour, and on top of that, unemployment goes down.

Everybody wins.

erawsd

Imagine working for $7.70 an hour in the city... That's a disgrace, and hell, I can't imagine that's a livable wage anywhere, but people will still vote against their interest.

Its because the base of the GOP is far more interested in petty shit like forcing their religious beliefs on others, oppressing scary brown people, and guns. As long as the GOP fights for those things nothing else matters.

Derwind

Imagine you have a store owner and he initially hired one person at $7.00/hr to run the cashier.

But if we remove the minimum wage, then that same store owner can hire 7 people to work at $1/hr.

Sure, wages are lower, but getting $1/hr hour is still better than getting zero dollars per hour, and on top of that, unemployment goes down.

Everybody wins.

You're joking right?

The minimum wage is not being removed, its banning cities from increasing their own minimum wage from whatever the State standard minimum wage,

Many people lose because of this since the cost of living differs from city to city.

mj1108

Imagine you have a store owner and he initially hired one person at $7.00/hr to run the cashier.

But if we remove the minimum wage, then that same store owner can hire 7 people to work at $1/hr.

Everybody wins.

That's exactly the GOP mentality about it. Hell, even $1 an hour they would probably say that wages are too high.

Shoeless

Is it safe to assume that even if Republican supporters get affected by this and it makes their lives and ability to raise their children harder, they'll feel it's an acceptable, self-inflicted injury as long as democrats get angry about it, and immigrants get hurt by it?

Top Bottom