• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPT-4 AI released

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

gpt-4.png

"We report the development of GPT-4, a large-scale, multimodal model which can accept image and text inputs and produce text outputs. While less capable than humans in many real-world scenarios, GPT-4 exhibits human-level performance on various professional and academic benchmarks, including passing a simulated bar exam with a score around the top 10% of test takers. GPT-4 is a Transformer-based model pre-trained to predict the next token in a document. The post-training alignment process results in improved performance on measures of factuality and adherence to desired behavior. A core component of this project was developing infrastructure and optimization methods that behave predictably across a wide range of scales. This allowed us to accurately predict some aspects of GPT-4’s performance based on models trained with no more than 1/1,000th the compute of GPT-4."

"One of the main goals of developing such models is to improve their ability to understand and generate natural language text, particularly in more complex and nuanced scenarios. To test its capabilities in such scenarios, GPT-4 was evaluated on a variety of exams originally designed for humans. In these evaluations it performs quite well and often outscores the vast majority of human test takers. For example, on a simulated bar exam, GPT-4 achieves a score that falls in the top 10% of test takers. This contrasts with GPT-3.5, which scores in the bottom 10%. On a suite of traditional NLP benchmarks, GPT-4 outperforms both previous large language models and most state-of-the-art systems (which often have benchmark-specific training or hand-engineering). On the MMLU benchmark [29, 30], an English-language suite of multiple-choice questions covering 57 subjects, GPT-4 not only outperforms existing models by a considerable margin in English, but also demonstrates strong performance in other languages. On translated variants of MMLU, GPT-4 surpasses the English-language state-of-the-art in 24 of 26 languages considered. We discuss these model capability results, as well as model safety improvements and results, in more detail in later sections."

ChatGPT+ users ($20/month) are able to use it now. It's extremely impressive.

Porcile

What's the next thing going to be I want to know.

Years ago it was 3D printing, then it was VR, and then after that it was everyone must learn 2 code or die Obama said so, then it was Blockchain last year, now it's AI.

Sakura

Signed up for the waitlist for the API, not sure if I will get access any time soon though considering I just want it for personal use.
Not really interested in paying 20$ just to try it out, and I don't think the GPT+ version has the image recognition thing?

Not meaning to be a jerk, but that JavaScript website looks like Geocities 1997. Show me something better and amaze me, because that website looks like ass. This is 2023.

I've used GPT to write political and business speeches over the past 9 months with 3.0 and 3.5. It's good for building a framework, but is horrible for creating a near-human quality equivalent of written created content. It needs heavy editing and one still needs be a gifted writer to take the framework and craft something worthy of audiences.

Lawl at the kiddos who submit their GPT homework verbatim.
It's a shitty sketch on a piece of paper with very little info, what do you expect? It's impressive that it is able to do what it is doing at all. If you gave it more guidance and explained more thoroughly what exactly it is you wanted, it would do a better job.
It is supposed to be a tool to support the process, not really meant to replace the process entirely.

E-Cat

Years ago it was 3D printing, then it was VR, and then after that it was everyone must learn 2 code or die Obama said so, then it was Blockchain last year, now it's AI.
AI is the last thing. Everything that will come after is just another manifestation of its impact.

AI will result in the singularity. It's the end game for humanity. Either we'll end up in a utopia or destroying ourselves thanks to AI.

As E-Cat E-Cat said, AI is the last thing. It's bigger than 3D printing, VR, Blockchain, etc. If anything comes along it'll be insignificant to AI or it'll be a result of it.

We're still in the early days and you just need to look at the last few years to see how fast AI is progressing. Right now we have chat models, image generation, and upscaling but that's just the beginning. I used to always think the idea of AI was silly but shit is getting real right now and we can't ignore it anymore.

Aesius

After AI takes all white collar jobs, it will soon be "Learn to HVAC"

PSYGN

Not meaning to be a jerk, but that JavaScript website looks like Geocities 1997. Show me something better and amaze me, because that website looks like ass. This is 2023.

I feel they should've demoed something more advanced as something simple like their sketch doesn't need AI, just optical recognition. But it's neat and just the beginning of what AI can do which is probably a lot more smarter as far as understanding the sketch. It would be interesting to see if it could pull off something more complex and say "using Bootstrap columns" or "using Tailwind grid". The next jump after would be to analyze your entire codebase and css styles to pattern off of and know which elements and styles to apply where. Then after that, to be able to create the files and pattern it after conventions of the framework. I know we'll get their eventually, and just like autopilot cars we'll probably still have to be alert to make sure it understands the context and all the moving pieces.

The next popular tech stacks will probably have AI helpers and autosuggest blocks of code and where to create folders and files without needing GitHub Copilot or what have you and be able to ask the framework AI through the terminal or doc site which will have higher relevance to its own self than common conventions elsewhere. Then we'll truly be overpaid for the work some of us do :LOL: Those with PhD's and AI/ML studies behind them will be king in the sector while the rest of us plumb through prompts and untangle bits of code here and there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom