• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grammy Nominations announced, K.Dot walks away with 11, The Weeknd with 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
fGP7hMy.jpg

[P4]

[Official Nomination List]*

A few select cuts.

1. RECORD OF THE YEAR

Really Love
D'Angelo And The Vanguard

Uptown Funk
Mark Ronson Featuring Bruno Mars

Thinking Out Loud
Ed Sheeran

Blank Space
Taylor Swift

Can't Feel My Face
The Weeknd

2. ALBUM OF THE YEAR

Sound & Color
Alabama Shakes

To Pimp A Butterfly
Kendrick Lamar

Traveller
Chris Stapleton

Taylor Swift

Beauty Behind The Madness
The Weeknd

3. SONG OF THE YEAR

Alright
Track from: To Pimp A Butterfly

Blank Space
Track from: 1989

Girl Crush
Track from: Pain Killer

See You Again
Track from: Furious 7: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Thinking Out Loud
Track from: X
*Yes I am soooo impressed you haven't heard of any of these acts :)

Oozer3993

The nominations were announced today for the 58th Grammy Awards. I hope you like Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar, because the voters sure do. Did they both get nominated for Album of the year? Yup. Did they both pick up numerous nominations in their genre fields? Of course. Did the song they did together get nominated? Duh. A quick refresher for the more complicated rules:

* The difference between Song of the Year and Record of the Year is something only Grammy voters know. There might be something about writing in there, but scientists aren't entirely sure.
Record is for the recording and is given to the producers and the artist, Song is given for songwriting.
* The eligibilty rules for Best New Artist are, and this is a direct quote from the Grammy handbook: "Whatever the heck we feel like in any given year."
Artists are eligible after they release their first album to get mainstream attention.
* The eligibility period is October 1st to September 30th. Hence no Adele.

The biggies:

Album of the Year:

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
Taylor Swift - 1989
Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color
Chris Stapleton - Traveller
The Weeknd - Beauty Behind The Madness

Record of the Year

Really Love - D'Anglelo and the Vanguard
Blank Space - Taylor Swift
Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson
Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran
Can't Feel My Face - The Weeknd

Song of the Year

Blank Space - Taylor Swift
Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran
Alright - Kendrick Lamar
Girl Crush - Little Big Town
See You Again - Wiz Khalifa Featuring Charlie Puth

Best New Artist

Courtney Barnett
James Bay
Sam Hunt
Tori Kelly
Meghan Trainor

Full list of nominees

Nobility

Banned
Adele is not eligible until 2017 (Grammy lol)

Only watching for the expected Kendrick and The Weeknd robberies.

gdt

Beauty isn't his best album, but it's a great album and he deserves it after his career.

The Weeknd I mean.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Weeknd's worst release gets his highest number of Grammy noms. Unbelievable.

Well it's a lot like Scorcese winning his first Oscar for The Departed. It's about damn time, but not exactly the project you want him to be best known for.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Um hello what about Madonna she had a successful album with good reviews this year.

They just fFORGOT about Rebel Heart?!!! Flop awards confirmed.

LAb9juF.gif

CloudWolf

I really, really hope Thinking Out Loud doesn't win Record of the Year and/or Song of the Year.

EDIT: Wait wait wait, why the hell is Kamasi Washington not nominated in the Jazz categories? Bullshit, I tell ya.

Jigolo

Still robbery from the last time M.a,D.D city was a better album than this one. Nothing could make up for that

ZeroAKA

Grammys is 4 years late to The Weeknd. BBTM is really disappointing compared to House of Balloons and the other two mixtapes. At least it's better than Kiss Land.

MrS

Banned
Father John Misty's only nomination is in the 'BEST BOXED OR SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE' category. The packaging for this vinyl set had a defect that warped all vinyls and a product recall was initiated. Of all the categories I Love You, Honeybear should have been nominated in, why this one?

Kissland got 0 noms
Err, exactly. Kiss Land is a much better album imo.

amnesiac

Father John Misty's only nomination is in the 'BEST BOXED OR SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE' category. The packaging for this vinyl set had a defect that warped all releases and a product recall was initiated. Of all the categories I Love You, Honeybear should have been nominated in, why this one?

Hahaha that's pretty funny.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Nicki Minaj gets one token nomination for best rap album while Kendrock Lemar has a ton of nominations including album of the year.

God's in His heaven and all is right with the world.

chaislip3

At least Kendrick's getting the respect he deserves. I still remember how he got robbed by losing to that fucking Macklemore album. Also how did All Day get nominated for best rap song

JLynn

Obviously Kendrick's nominations were the RIAA's way of apologizing for fuckin with him.

Just like the MPAA awarding Heath Ledger with an Oscar for TDK.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Give Meghan Trainor the best new artist Grammy so the best new artist curse can go into effect and we never have to hear her shitty vocals ever again.

What is the difference between an Album, Song, and Record? I feel like Record is just another term for Album, but clearly I'm missing something.

Rap fans about to get crushed again by the tastes of 60 year old black and white people. These awards are not about quality, chill out.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Rap fans about to get crushed again by the tastes of 60 year old black and white people. These awards are not about quality, chill out.
They're not going to let Nicki Minaj win anything, will they?

I mean, she's below the Insane Clown Posse in terms of talent.

Floridian

Why was Sufjan Stevens completely snubbed though? I don't like that. Hopefully Bjork could get her first Grammy with Vulnicura since a win for her is long overdue.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I also noticed that the new One Direction and Justin Beiber albums missed the cutoff and won't be eligible until 2017.

I hope their insufferable fandoms prepare for the inevitability of Adele cleaning house again. She wakes up in the morning, goes to the bathroom and shits out Grammys and platinum records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom