• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 58th Grammy Awards |OT| Witness Greatness tonight at 8 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridian

DRzKDqn.jpg

It's Grammy day but this time it's on a monday. Things are changing. This year's ceremony offers a bit more diversity in terms of nominees, especially in the general category. With the unfortunate passing of Music Legend David Bowie early last month, the Grammys have provided a tribute for him, for which to whom Lady Gaga is in honor of serving. There's a lot of promising performances as well from Kendrick, Adele, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, James Bay, The Weeknd, & many more. Hopefully there will be some spark in this year's performance compared to last year's Ballad-heavy takeover. Rumors are saying there are bound to be a couple of controversial performances. For Album of the year, there's a 5-way race between Kendrick Lamar, Taylor Swift, Chris Stapleton, Alabama Shakes, & The Weeknd. Each are different in Genre, so it's bound to be anyone's game. Kendrick leads with 11 nominations so this will potentially be a huge night for him and many others of course. Come witness greatness from entertaining stage moments, possible audience capture memes, the potential snubs & reactions, & possible future music announcements.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/6865866/lady-gaga-david-bowie-tribute-grammys
Grammy producer Ken Ehrlich said in an interview with the New York Times that Lady Gaga had already been booked to perform at the Grammys prior to Bowie's death, and as the tribute came together, it made sense for Gaga -- who Bowie clearly influenced -- to perform it solo.

Award Show:
t1455584400z1.png

CBS Stream: http://www.cbs.com/shows/grammys/all-access/

When: Tonight at 8:00 PM EST on CBS
Premiere Ceremony: Today from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm EST/12:30 pm to 3:30 pm PT (Streamed Here: http://www.grammy.com/live)
Where: Staples Center (Los Angeles, California)
Hosted By: LL Cool J (shocking news)

Performers:
Taylor Swift
Kendrick Lamar
Lady Gaga (David Bowie Tribute + special Intel show)
Adele
The Weeknd w/ possibly Lauryn Hill
Miguel
Chris Stapleton, Gary Clark Jr, Bonnie Raitt (B.B King Tribute)
Justin Bieber, Skrillex, Diplo
Carrie Underwood, Sam Hunt
Greg Phillinganes
Ellie Goulding
Andra Day
Tori Kelly
James Bay
Pitbull, Robin Thicke, Travis Barker
Luke Bryan ,Demi Lovato, Meghan Trainor, John Legend (Lionel Richie Tribute)
Little Big Town
Eagles
Bernie Leadon
Jackson Browne
Johnny Depp~

-Possible Surprise perfomance *rumored to be Beyonce*

Nominations:

Record of the Year:
Mark Ronson – "Uptown Funk"
D'Angelo and the Vanguard – "Really Love"
Ed Sheeran – "Thinking Out Loud"
Taylor Swift – "Blank Space"
The Weeknd – "Can't Feel My Face"

Album of the Year:
Kendrick Lamar – "To Pimp a Butterfly"
Alabama Shakes – "Sound & Color"
Chris Stapleton – "Traveller"
Taylor Swift – "1989"
The Weeknd – "Beauty Behind the Madness"

Song of the Year:
Kendrick Lamar – "Alright"
Taylor Swift – "Blank Space"
Little Big Town – "Girl Crush"
Wiz Khalifa – "See You Again"
Ed Sheeran – "Thinking Out Loud"

Best New Artist:
Courtney Barnett
James Bay
Sam Hunt
Tori Kelly
Meghan Trainor

Best Rap Album:
2014 Forest Hills Drive – J. Cole
Compton – Dr. Dre
If You're Reading This It's Too Late – Drake
To Pimp a Butterfly – Kendrick Lamar
The Pinkprint – Nicki Minaj

Best Rap Performance:
"Apparently" – J. Cole
"Back to Back" – Drake
"Trap Queen" – Fetty Wap
"Alright" – Kendrick Lamar
"Truffle Butter" – Nicki Minaj
"All Day" – Kanye West

Best Pop Vocal Album:
Piece by Piece – Kelly Clarkson
How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful – Florence + The Machine
Before This World -- James Taylor
Uptown Special – Mark Ronson
1989 – Taylor Swift

Best Urban Contemporary Album:
Ego Death – The Internet
You Should Be Here – Kehlani
Blood – Lianne La Havas
Wildheart – Miguel
Beauty Behind the Madness – The Weeknd

Best R&B Song
"Coffee" – Miguel
"Earned It" – The Weeknd
"Let It Burn" – Jazmine Sullivan
"Shame" – Tyrese
"Really Love" – D'Angelo and the Vanguard

Best R&B Album:
Coming Home – Leon Bridges
Black Messiah – D'Angelo and The Vanguard
Cheers to the Fall – Andra Day
Reality Show – Jazmine Sullivan
Forever Charlie – Charlie Wilson

Best Country Album:
Montevallo – Sam Hunt
Pain Killer – Little Big Town
The Blade – Ashley Monroe
Pageant Material – Kacey Musgraves
Traveller – Chris Stapleton

Best Rock Album:
Chaos and the Calm – James Bay
Kintsugi – Death Cab for Cutie
Mister Asylum – Highly Suspect
Drones – Muse
.5: The Gray Chapter – Slipknot

Best Alternative Music Album:
Sound & Color – Alabama Shakes
Vulnicura – Björk
The Waterfall – My Morning Jacket
Currents – Tame Impala
Star Wars – Wilco

Full Nominee List

For those wondering which albums are eligible for nomination:
For the 58th Annual GRAMMY Awards, albums must have been released between Oct. 1, 2014 and Sept. 30, 2015.

May the best nominees win.
or be snubbed

2014-01-26-23_53_14.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Here for about half of the performers which is much higher than usual

MAD HYPED for Lady Gaga

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Really wish this was on a Sunday...am mad as hell because I won't be able to watch it. Will be making a scorecard though later today. Hopefully Kendrick gets his due.

Best Urban Contemporary Album:
Ego Death – The Internet
You Should Be Here – Kehlani
Blood – Lianne La Havas
Wildheart – Miguel
Beauty Behind the Madness – The Weeknd

the internet should be winning this category but its clearly going to the weeknd

Galang

Banned
The R&B choices for song of the year is pretty good as far as the grammies go.

Hoping Bjork, Flying Lotus, Kendrick, Courtney Barnett, Tame Impala and Jamie xx/Caribou win where nominated. They seem to be getting better each year at at least throwing in one random deserving artist in most categories... They're are obviously a lot of snubs as always, but eh.. That's the Grammies.

The R&B choices for song of the year actually is pretty good as far as the grammies go.

Hoping Bjork, Flying Lotus, Kendrick, Courtney Barnett, Tame Impala and Jamie xx/Caribou win where nominated. They seem to be getting better each year at at least throwing in one random deserving artist in most categories...

Straight up didn't know Bjork had a new album. Have you had a go at it?

Galang

Banned
Straight up didn't know Bjork had a new album. Have you had a go at it?

Yes! Vulnicura! One of the best albums she's ever done imo. :) It's good; there's also a orchestral version she released for it after that I haven't listened to. Not sure how that one is

Yes! Vulnicura! One of the best albums she's ever done imo. :) It's good; there's also a orchestral version she released for it after that I haven't listened to. Not sure how that one is

I'll have to take your word for that as I haven't actively listened to her in a while, but that's at least enough to pique my interest. Thanks.

Floridian

Damn shame that "Something More Than Free" wasn't nominated for best country album.

Why is .5: The Gray Album a nomination for best Rock Album? That was released in 2014...

It was released within the nomination window for the Grammys which was between Oct 1 2014 & September 30th 2015. Looks like the Slipknot album was released on Oct 14 of 2014 so it was eligible.

Because reality is what it is.

Kendrick ain't winnin shit. Taylor Swift will win AOTY for that tired ass album 1989 or whatever. There is no god.

I hope Drake wins for Back to Back just for the fuckery that would come out of it.

Mau ®

This level of defeatism. Taylor will not win. Don't ya'll know the media backlash that will ensue?

They will give it to Lamar, everyone in the Grammy Committee will pat themselves on the back and call it a day. Then the next five years the award will go to white people. It's the cycle of life.

that rih gif is FIRE

she really does dominate all media, damn.

anyway I don't watch the grammys but I hope things get messy for my non-faves. Give Katy a lifetime achievement grammy already ffs.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
this may be a stupid question, but do the performers get paid?
I'm not sure whether they would or whether it would be like the superbowl half time show where the promo they get out of it is payment enough but the grammys would cover the cost of the performance or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom