• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 on PlayStation 5: The Digital Foundry Tech Review

Musilla

ezgif-1-cc0cde4b24.gif
ezgif-1-dc21a2f88d.gif

Banned
So nothing to add to the conversation? You don't like VRR, you don't want better performance, you don't like the good things in life. Dually noted. Maybe send me your gamer tag, so I can laugh at you in my rear view. I'll have the last laugh for sure.

he would like all those things if Xbox didn't have them but PlayStation did.
that is the really sad part.

and that is why fanboyism is bad for everyone.

I see this in games I play too. the Apex Legends community is the most toxic shit ever. I literally get my threads on the official subreddit downvoted in which I report bugs and showed issues with the game in the past.

they downvote that because of that "I don't notice these problems so you must be a hater" mentality. "I love this game, how dare you point out issues!!!"

so the game has bugs in it that simply don't het patched because the community at large represses feedback

Last edited:
I do get why they opted for it to be a cross-gen title (would have released even earlier had it not been for the Covid situation, during the very first year of the PS5, unlike a proper current-gen experience), and I certainly appreciate Polyphony technical know-how, but I am still unclear as to whether this will be the only platform PD will build upon for the next 6-7 years, or whether another GT, developed with only the PS5 in mind, will release around 2026?

Last edited:
he would like all those things if Xbox didn't have them but PlayStation did.
that is the really sad part.

and that is why fanboyism is bad for everyone.

I see this in games I play too. the Apex Legends community is the most toxic shit ever. I literally get my threads on the official subreddit downvoted in which I report bugs and showed issues with the game in the past.

they downvote that because of that "I don't notice these problems so you must be a hater" mentality. "I love this game, how dare you point out issues!!!"
I wish people would stop fanboying all the damn time. Enjoy the GAME not the plastic housing of their console. It's fucking pathetic that you have people shitting on something, just because of the plastic housing. These people are weak souls.

I'm just excited to play this game either way. Fanatec was weak sauce recently, went with a better wheel cause of it.

Banned
I do get why they opted for it to be a cross-gen title (would have released even earlier had it not been for the Covid situation, during the very first year of the PS5, unlike a proper current-gen experience), and I certainly appreciate Polyphony technical know-how, but I am still unclear as to whether this will be the only platform PD will build upon for the next 6-7 years, or whether another GT, developed with only the PS5 in mind, will release around 2026?

yeah, given how long it can take them to release these I wouldn't bet on any vastly improved successor until 2026... maybe even later

scydrex

Would you rather have VRR or not. Simple question. Take all the time you need to answer it. I'll wait.

No one in their right mind would reject VRR.

I'm 2 days we'll see if this patch helps or not. Either way, I'm excited to play it. You can look at my post history, and you'll see my enjoyment of the GT series from back to ps1 days. I guess I can't say anything negative about the game, huh?

I would rather have VRR. Is better to be 60fps locked and no need to use VRR but sometimes having VRR will help like Elden Ring.

iHaunter

I never thought people would laugh at performance gains like VRR, but here we are

xQ69IMM.png

Such a sad time to be alive
VRR can help, but it's the be all end all people make it out to be. It just isn't.

I would rather have VRR. Is better to be 60fps locked and no need to use VRR but sometimes having VRR will help like Elden Ring.

I have VRR on my PC monitor, it doesn't help jack shit with Elden Ring. Still a laggy piece of shit on PC.

Last edited:

scydrex

VRR can help, but it's the be all end all people make it out to be. It just isn't.

I have VRR on my PC monitor, it doesn't help jack shit with Elden Ring. Still a laggy piece of shit on PC.

In PC no because you have shutters and the game stops because the streaming. If it were variable FPS it would help. Look at what DF says with the X version it helps it dosen't have shutters but variable FPS or not a stable FPS.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
RT or not, a racing game just doesn't feel right at 30 FPS.

I wonder if we'll be able to get RT reflections at 60 FPS in any of the tentpole franchises this gen be it Forza or GT.

1bckp8.png

They don't need to be stingy with DRS either.
While I have no issue with a 30fps racer (DriveClub or Forza 30fps played very well).

This game is only playable in 60fps.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Framerates hit the forties, needs dynamic resolution badly.
In a very specific case where there a lot of reflection due the ToD and you force to show 20 cars in screen.

When that happens actually playing the game? I don’t know because it is really hard to put 20 cars showing at same time.

VGTech will probably show 99.99% 60fps.

I think VRR is handy. But it doesn't magically fix core problems, like Elden Ring streaming. Hopefully they release the VRR patch soon.
That's a internal issue within the game. If a 3090 is brought to it's knees, then you know it's a problem. Doesn't take great hardware to get a get a constant 60fps in that game, so your know it's a problem. On games that are mostly 60fps, VRR will help in time when it doesn't hit 60fps.

Banned
This is a game that doesn’t need VRR except for the forced case John created that doesn’t happen in normal play.

except that the game drops into the high 50s duing normal play as well as shown in the same video. even with 0 cars on screen.

VRR is specifically great for those cases.

you will see stutters with every single dropped frame no matter how low the average framerate goes, as soon as a frame is missed in a fixed refresh 60hz display the frametime will spike from 16.6ms up to 33.3ms, you will always feel that.

with VRR the frametime would vary way less and therefore these 58, 57 or even 59fps drops on some tracks would be completely unnoticeable to anyone.

instead of frametime spikes all the way from 16.6ms up to 33.3ms, it would only go to 16.9ms or 17.5ms

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
except that the game drops into the high 50s duing normal play as well as shown in the same video. even with 0 cars on screen.
Only I Trial Mountain… and the number of cars doesn’t affect the performance… 1 or 20 is the same… btw there is no 0 car option in the game.

Everything else is 60fps.

He was very clear to point the very specific cases the framerate drops.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

VRR is specifically great for those cases.

you will see stutters with every single dropped frame no matter how low the average framerate goes, as soon as a frame is missed in a fixed refresh 60hz display the frametime will spike from 16.6ms up to 33.3ms, you will always feel that.

with VRR the frametime would vary way less and therefore these 58, 57 or even 59fps drops on some tracks would be completely unnoticeable to anyone.

instead of frametime spikes all the way from 16.6ms up to 33.3ms, it would only go to 16.9ms or 17.5ms
01011001 01011001 - you are a man after my own heart. Good job speaking the facts!

sn0man

Extremely underwhelming for a PS5 game. Basically just a resolution upgrade and a few settings bumps.

Guess I'll have to wait for Forza Motorsport for a next gen racing game.
Like on one hand I get you, but on the other hand we knew this. GT for a long time has just been slowly plotting a course across releases with an engine. I’m happy that we are reaching a fidelity threshold (4K) that should allow for them to focus on something besides resolution bumps.

ethomaz

Banned
For these that are not listening the video or reading the article.

The game is locked 60fps except for two cases:

1) Trial Montain (1 of the 34 track locations)
2) When you create too many reflections by setting the ToD to Dawn for example and forcing to put all the 20 cars (yours included) in the view.

Except for these 2 specific cases everything else is locked at 60fps.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Only I Trial Mountain… and the number of cars doesn’t affect the performance… 1 or 20 is the same… btw there is no 0 car option in the game.

Everything else is 60fps.

He was very clear to point the very specific cases the framerate drops.
You guys cherrypick Xbox games and brag about just a tiny bit of better performance in a AAA game like Elden Ring. Why can't you receive your lumps too?

ethomaz

Banned

1) Trial Montain (1 of the 40 tracks)
2) When you create too many reflections by setting the ToD to Dawn for example and forcing to put all the 20 cars (yours included) in the view.

Except for these 2 specific cases everything else is locked

Gamerguy84

So always keeping my mind open I have a question.

I trying to listen to bits and pieces but am working, but I did read the text on the first post. And since the topic of VRR is getting hammered in the last several posts I'm asking what's it going to do?

It's my understanding the game is performing extremely well in 99.9% of the time. The text in the first post has a specific scenario to get the frame rate to dip. But I don't see a number how far it dips. Is there a number and do we need that scenario for it to happen?

Would having VRR allow them to have worse performance but add RT? I understand the design choice was for 60fps. Not to mention it doesn't really fix elden ring.

Are we saying the game is bad because of the .01% and the scenario where it can dip and are we saying if a game isn't 100% technically sound it is broken?

At the same time I am not dismissing any feature and would welcome VRR I'm just wondering in this instance how much it brings to the table. I think the war over this feature is people over hyping the need for it which causes the side to say it isn't needed at all.

1) Trial Montain (1 of the 40 tracks)

Except for these 2 specific cases everything else is locked.
That's only what they covered. Unless they did a 100% play through, this is what they found. Doesn't meant it doesn't hold stable framerates on certain scenarios.

Again this is why several people want VRR, cause it helps.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Hopefully this is the last round of cross gen Sony games, because these PS5 ports of PS4 games are making the PS5 look weaker than it is. The performance drops are not acceptable for what is being displayed.

We need more native developed PS5 games.
It's not because it's cross gen. It's because the hardware actually is underpowered for the graphics that developers are trying to push. A sure way to know this is if the game has to run at lower than 4k with reconstruction. That tells you right there that there isn't enough bandwidth coming from these consoles.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So always keeping my mind open I have a question.

I trying to listen to bits and pieces but am working, but I did read the text on the first post. And since the topic of VRR is getting hammered in the last several posts I'm asking what's it going to do?

It's my understanding the game is performing extremely well in 99.9% of the time. The text in the first post has a specific scenario to get the frame rate to dip. But I don't see a number how far it dips. Is there a number and do we need that scenario for it to happen?

Would having VRR allow them to have worse performance but add RT? I understand the design choice was for 60fps. Not to mention it doesn't really fix elden ring.

Are we saying the game is bad because of the .01% and the scenario where it can dip and are we saying if a game isn't 100% technically sound it is broken?

At the same time I am not dismissing any feature and would welcome VRR I'm just wondering in this instance how much it brings to the table. I think the war over this feature is people over hyping the need for it which causes the side to say it isn't needed at all.
Yeap the game doesn’t need VRR except for Trial Mountain… the article is very clear about that.
Even in the forced stressing scenario John doesn’t talk about VRR because unless you create the situation you won’t face it.

Now Trail Mountain needs a fix or VRR can help.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I hope it completely demolishes gt7 and teaches Sony a firm lesson on cross gen foolishness
It does look good but it also looks cross gen apart from replays and other non playable areas. I think the next Forza is going to stomp this game if it's Series only.
I think they have missed a trick by not showing any real footage of Forza 8 before GT7 launched. It wouldve given us a good indication of just what is lacking from a cross gen GT.

The most depressing part about this is that we wont get a true next gen GT until 2027. The year PS6 is supposed to come out. We have literally gotten to the point where PD is skipping entire generations.

ethomaz

Banned
That's only what they covered. Unless they did a 100% play through, this is what they found. Doesn't meant it doesn't hold stable framerates on certain scenarios.

Again this is why several people want VRR, cause it helps.
That is exactly what they covered.

“In the vast majority of cases, you'll enjoy completely stable 60 frames per second gameplay. Nearly every race runs consistently, even with a grid of 20 cars on the track.”

The exceptions:

“Firstly, there's Trial Mountain.”

“Beyond that, we need to invoke stress test conditions to make the frame-rate buckle: load up a track in the rain at dusk or dawn, fill out the grid with all 20 cars and for the most pain, set your starting position at the very back of the pack. With this, the screen is filled with reflections, particles and cars causing the frame-rate to dip.”

The fact he could only get that specific case setting this position to last place (to have a view of all cars) at the start of the race (when all cars are still unmoving) tells you a lot… because if the cars are moving you it impossible to put all cars in the view.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yeap the game doesn’t need VRR except for Trial Mountain… the article is very clear about that.
ethomaz ethomaz - you can't say a game doesn't need VRR when it will help performance. The PS5 can render the hardcoded test tracks and actual campaign fine, but if a gamer makes their own tracks, they can push the PS5 to drop FPS. I think the Xbox crew is basically saying that if you had VRR, you'd be able to put more on screen to render. This goes back to what I was saying about the SSD and Nanite. Trying to push more geometry into a frame will cause the shaders to run longer and therefore drop FPS. There is a LIMIT! We just have to be more conservative on what that limit is.

That is exactly what they covered.

“In the vast majority of cases, you'll enjoy completely stable 60 frames per second gameplay. Nearly every race runs consistently, even with a grid of 20 cars on the track.”

The exceptions:

“Firstly, there's Trial Mountain.”

“Beyond that, we need to invoke stress test conditions to make the frame-rate buckle: load up a track in the rain at dusk or dawn, fill out the grid with all 20 cars and for the most pain, set your starting position at the very back of the pack. With this, the screen is filled with reflections, particles and cars causing the frame-rate to dip.”
Ok bro, you got it. VRR is unnecessary. Game runs perfect without it. I'll play it either way, and when i suffer from bad frames in the trial mountain, I'll think of you.

VFXVeteran

Banned
The most depressing part about this is that we wont get a true next gen GT until 2027. The year PS6 is supposed to come out. We have literally gotten to the point where PD is skipping entire generations.
But this shouldn't be a surprise. Most game developers only get ONE shot at a big game for a generation and then it's back to coding for the next generation. That's why I'm an advocate against assuming that these games will get a second one within a generation to show off a consoles "true" power at the end of a cycle. Most of the time, they will produce one game and that's it.

Banned

1) Trial Montain (1 of the 34 track locations)

Except for these 2 specific cases everything else is locked at 60fps.

...which is why VRR would be great to have for a game like this...

every single dropped frame looks jarring on a locked 60hz screen.

we really have to stop fixating on frames per second metrics and talk frametime way more.
dropping from 60fps to 57fps sounds like nothing. but if you actually think about what that means in terms of frame times on a fixed refresh then it becomes way more clear why that still sucks, and why VRR is such a great feature to have

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
ethomaz ethomaz - you can't say a game doesn't need VRR when it will help performance. The PS5 can render the hardcoded test tracks and actual campaign fine, but if a gamer makes their own tracks, they can push the PS5 to drop FPS. I think the Xbox crew is basically saying that if you had VRR, you'd be able to put more on screen to render. This goes back to what I was saying about the SSD and Nanite. Trying to push more geometry into a frame will cause the shaders to run longer and therefore drop FPS. There is a LIMIT! We just have to be more conservative on what that limit is.
I’m not sure what are you saying if the game is locked 60fps for example it doesn’t even use VRR even if it is turned on.

Plus you won’t get the VRR issues with gamma and colors that all TVs with VRR has.

It is weird to advocate VRR as a perfect solution when it is not perfect… locked framerate will be a better experience than VRR.

Let me ask your professional option in that regards… what is better for this case: add VRR or make Trial Mountain 60fps?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But this shouldn't be a surprise. Most game developers only get ONE shot at a big game for a generation and then it's back to coding for the next generation. That's why I'm an advocate against assuming that these games will get a second one within a generation to show off a consoles "true" power at the end of a cycle. Most of the time, they will produce one game and that's it.
I think this game and HFW proves that they dont get just ONE shot. Both PD and GG got to make sequels to their PS4 games for the PS4. GG actually made three games and have improved drastically from KZSF, let alone HZD.

I dont think your theory holds water.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I think this game and HFW proves that they dont get just ONE shot. Both PD and GG got to make sequels to their PS4 games for the PS4. GG actually made three games and have improved drastically from KZSF, let alone HZD.

I dont think your theory holds water.
I saying one of the same type of game. Companies like Ubi will make more but I'm talking about smaller companies. God of War was one 1 iteration during the entire gen. There was only 1 KZSF, 1 Infamous SS, etc..

Neofire

I hope they let you expand the sound track because from what Ive seen on reviews the sound track for the GT is trash and that is very unfortunate.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I’m not sure what are you saying if the game is locked 60fps for example it doesn’t even use VRR even if it is turned on.

Plus you won’t get the VRR issues with gamma and colors that all TVs with VRR has.

It is weird to advocate VRR as a perfect solution when it is not perfect… locked framerate will be a better experience than VRR.

Let me ask your professional option in that regards… what is better for this case: add VRR or make Trial Mountain 60fps?
Agreed. But I think what they are saying is that VRR can help if the game can't be optimized or settings lowered, it would be a good alternative to nothing at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom