• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 on PlayStation 5: The Digital Foundry Tech Review

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
For these that are not listening the video or reading the article.

The game is locked 60fps except for two cases:
1) Trial Montain (1 of the 40 tracks)
2) When you create too many reflections by setting the ToD to Dawn for example and forcing to put all the 20 cars (yours included) in the view.

Except for these 2 specific cases everything else is locked
Yeah but if you spend $40 on credit and use it to buy a Car in game, that's basically Sony charging you $40 for a car, the greedy bastards!
Try dancing round that one!

Last edited:

Romulus

PS4 Pro version looking pretty damn good and competitive for last gen.

Top: PS5 - Bottom PS4 Pro.

And unlike Horizon, it's still 60 FPS in game play too. Good shit.

G8Iofrq.jpg

NEu7TOa.jpg

That's an amazing show for last gen.

Swift_Star

Banned
Hopefully this is the last round of cross gen Sony games, because these PS5 ports of PS4 games are making the PS5 look weaker than it is. The performance drops are not acceptable for what is being displayed.

We need more native developed PS5 games.
These games look better than native next gen games. Troll are gonna troll.

There are really more differences than I was expecting.
I was expecting the PS4 versions to be just lower resolution with a bit less details on the sides, but no, the difference in detail AND FIDELITY is actually significant.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I can tell you just after playing past the point of where you get the license test that this game is pretty striking. Yes if you actually look and pay attention to certain walls or things then you will find imperfection but when it's in motion and everything is just clicking it is damn beautiful. I'm so impressed that just takes me back to the good old days of Gran Turismo.

ethomaz

Banned
I can tell you just after playing past the point of where you get the license test that this game is pretty striking. Yes if you actually look and pay attention to certain walls or things then you will find imperfection but when it's in motion and everything is just clicking it is damn beautiful. I'm so impressed that just takes me back to the good old days of Gran Turismo.
To be fair.
I’m dying here waiting to reach Monday to buy PSN Gift Card to buy the game.
I forget to do it before and when I saw it was Friday night and the people here doesn’t sent the code on weekends :(

I have a US account so I need to buy US PSN cards.

Edit - I was looking CDKey and it will probably be my only option before Monday.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I didn't buy GT5 or GT6, I just lost interest in the series and they just seemed a bit boring. But this feels like a return to form, reminds me of when I was a kid playing GT1 and GT2 for hours on end.

Here's hoping the multiplayer does great things.

Unknown?

Of course, there's no gun to your head, you have to play the game religiously to make sure you don't miss out of the rotations, meanwhile others will just pay money to get the same content and may get an advantage in online leaderboards, competitions etc.

The model isnt being received well generally online, there's nothing wrong with saying that.
This model has been the same since GT4. There have always been super expensive cars in GT that take grinding. GT5 had the rotating used cars before MTX too. Your response to his doesn't even have any relevance. He asked if you could earn credits by playing the game, nothing has increased in price in the in-game currency.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This model has been the same since GT4. There have always been super expensive cars in GT that take grinding. GT5 had the rotating used cars before MTX too. Your response to his doesn't even have any relevance. He asked if you could earn credits by playing the game, nothing has increased in price in the in-game currency.

Just because the practice has been in the past few games doesn't make it immune from criticism, especially with a price hike for the game itself.

But like Franky said, please take the MTX discussion to the relevant topic:

ethomaz

Banned
Of course, there's no gun to your head, you have to play the game religiously to make sure you don't miss out of the rotations, meanwhile others will just pay money to get the same content and may get an advantage in online leaderboards, competitions etc.

The model isnt being received well generally online, there's nothing wrong with saying that.
How do you exactly take advantage in online leaderboards and competition?

They have fixed cars and you don’t use the one you own in competitions or events.

Last edited:
people complain about $40 cars "Same price as they were in GT sport" should just get good half of these people are rolling around in empty fields in elden ring for 50+ hours fighting 1 shot hitting crabs you dont have enough skill to turn a few corners on a race track and not play it like a game of ping pong. How long does it take to grind out cars in GT min max and not buy anything you dont need to you could easily get 300k in the span of a few hours theres so many ways to get cars and credits in GT7 it's insane.

It looks good enough to make me car sick. Funnily enough, cockpit with extra wobble (wobble 2) doesn't get me sick.

It must be because the head sways with the car as you would expect. Most head bob in Doom and others is what makes me ill.

DJ12

If this was a same time PC/PS5 release that I would understand cause PC you can just use cheat engine.

I don't think there's any 'cheating' software like that on PS5 yet.
Someone could in theory put their save on a stick find the value and change it.

A seasoned hacker, not the average pleb like me.

Once someone has done it, it soon becomes easier for all.

I would assume this already happened in a previous game which is why they've added it to gts and gt7.

ethomaz

Banned

I would assume this already happened in a previous game which is why they've added it to gts and gt7.
You can change anything via PS4.
You just need a CFW and you don’t need to be a hacker for that… just follow simple steps.

If the game was only on PS5… yes it could not be cheated right now but with PS5/PS4 using the same system yeap it could be if offline.

Last edited:

Calverz

Been playing quite a bit of this and I have to say there is times it looks amazing and other times it looks pretty horrible. It doesn’t seem consistent. I feel John may have given the game a by because he is a fan. The damage on the cars is also atrocious. Like a simple scrape texture is added.
The weather effects are also pretty pure in comparison to forza 7 which came out 5 years ago.

I really think Forza Motorsport is going to blow this game away. But GT has more soul. Always has.

DJ12

I really think Forza Motorsport is going to blow this game away. But GT has more soul. Always has.
Gt7 far better car detail, fm8 probably better environments.

Swings and round abouts really. Personally anyone holding out for fm8 being a massive leap over fh5 because its not cross gen is perhaps drinking a bit too much cool-aid.

Stick fh5 in 60 fps mode on your xbox and you are probably already there.

FrankWza

There was a credit glitch on GT5 where you just went around in a circle for tons of credit. Not to mention dupe glitches where you could gift any car

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

You can change anything via PS4.
You just need a CFW and you don’t need to be a hacker for that… just follow simple steps.

If the game was only on PS5… yes it could not be cheated right now but with PS5/PS4 using the same system yeap it could be if offline.

Still, using a recent example, FH5 lets you play the entire game, barring events which specifically require more online people, in single player and offline.

GT7 should have had that option as well.

Calverz

Gt7 far better car detail, fm8 probably better environments.

Swings and round abouts really. Personally anyone holding out for fm8 being a massive leap over fh5 because its not cross gen is perhaps drinking a bit too much cool-aid.

Stick fh5 in 60 fps mode on your xbox and you are probably already there.
I’m not comparing gt7 to fh5. The comparison is to be made with the FM series as it’s track based.

FM8 will be a big leap from FM7.

ethomaz

Banned
Still, using a recent example, FH5 lets you play the entire game, barring events which specifically require more online people, in single player and offline.

GT7 should have had that option as well.
You can play GT7 offline.
You just not save it offline.

You can even play for two hours, enter online and save it before stop to play.

But I understand what you want… PD just not choose that path… and after over 15 million PSN accounts on GTS I don’t think that is really a big deal for most.

I have the feeling if gamers go against it PD may remove that online save only.

Last edited:

DJ12

I’m not comparing gt7 to fh5. The comparison is to be made with the FM series as it’s track based.

FM8 will be a big leap from FM7.
Look, its really simple, if you think FM8 is going to look significantly better than FH5 does in 60fps mode, you are going to end up disappointed.

I never said you were comparing GT7 to FH5, learn to read.

Cohetedor

You can play GT7 offline.
You just not save it offline.

You can even play for two hours, enter online and save it before stop to play.

But I understand what you want… PD just not choose that path… and after over 15 million PSN accounts on GTS I don’t think that is really a big deal for most.

I have the feeling if gamers go against it PD may remove that online save only.
Have you tried that? Because no you can't play offline career and then go online and save. Offline gives access to arcade mode only with limited tracks and only about 15 cars, no access to your garage. Livery editor, license tests, missions, cafe, none of them work offline.

ethomaz

Banned
Have you tried that? Because no you can't play offline career and then go online and save. Offline gives access to arcade mode only with limited tracks and only about 15 cars, no access to your garage. Livery editor, license tests, missions, cafe, none of them work offline.
Yes.

In GTS when my internet drops I continue playing offline and when it is back I just go on menu and select Save.

Just take in mind you can’t close it until internet is back and you saved it… GTS itself shows when internet is back and you can save.

I have access to all modes offline… it just give me message I don’t have internet when try to access Sport Mode for example.

Last edited:

Calverz

Look, its really simple, if you think FM8 is going to look significantly better than FH5 does in 60fps mode, you are going to end up disappointed.

Lmao FH5 is open world. FM8 isn’t. It won’t be constrained to the challenges presented in open world design.

Cohetedor

Yes.

In GTS when my internet drops I continue playing offline and when it is back I just go on menu and select Save.

Just take in mind you can’t close it until internet is back and you saved it… GTS itself shows when internet is back and you can save.

I have access to all modes offline… it just give me message I don’t have internet when try to access Sport Mode for example.
GTS, yes GT7 no. It doesn't work the same way.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

If Forza 8 doesnt look significantly better than FH5, GT7 and other last gen racers then it will be a BIG disappointment.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Prepare for disappointment then. I expect it to look marginally better but not by much.
If a near 10x increase in tflops from base Xone and a 7x increase in CPU processing power only results in marginal improvements then we need to riot.

We have already seen what marginal improvements look like thanks to the cross gen versions of FH5 and GT7. Some extra foliage, more detail on the tracks and higer res. For next gen, gamers need to demand more. More destruction, way better weather effects than even DriveClub, way better A.I, fucking 3D trees, new lighting engine, new physics systems, better collisions, new next gen features that we cant even think of.

DJ12

If a near 10x increase in tflops from base Xone and a 7x increase in CPU processing power only results in marginal improvements then we need to riot.

We have already seen what marginal improvements look like thanks to the cross gen versions of FH5 and GT7. Some extra foliage, more detail on the tracks and higer res. For next gen, gamers need to demand more. More destruction, way better weather effects than even DriveClub, way better A.I, fucking 3D trees, new lighting engine, new physics systems, better collisions, new next gen features that we cant even think of.
Well it's a nice dream.

Think you'll need to wait until fm9 and xbox Series x X or Series x+1.

Are you sure? I will try it today night.

Yeah. Today a few times my internet dropped and it kicked me out of a race (singleplayer) and was staring at a black loading screen in the main menu until the connection was up. Like I couldnt even go to garage, scapes....it was just a black screen.

Romulus

Most of that processing power gets soaked up in features that don't translate to a massive difference. Not at 10-12TF level anyways. I think with racing games maybe 20+ TF is needed for full ray tracing like we see in certain mods to get that wow effect, the current consoles just give us a half step forward.
I think when you have incredible devs like Guerilla they can give you something that exceeds ps4 pros image quality, settings, AND 2x the fps.

Last edited:

Neo_game

The difference between last gen and PS5 is much more than I initially thought.

This is also a nice video between GTS and GT7:

I am also curious about Forza8 since it is XS only game. But they have to make it1440P IMO or some other compromises to improve gfx detail. I think native 4K on PS5 is not worth it. GT7 is doing 4x more pixels and using higher settings compared to the than base PS4. So improved DC weather should easily be possible on these consoles at 1440P 60fps 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
VRR increases performance? I didn't know that.
Obviously VRR does not increase performance, but it's way better without vsync than with it, since that produce additional input lag (you know triple buffer does not sounds good in terms of latency), so basically if you limit framerate to 58 FPS (you can do it in driver setting on PC) for example and play with VRR, you don't see torn frames and input lag is smaller. So definitely this could be perceived by people like a "increased performance". You know perceived not real performance increase. If that make sense. I am personally hyped for VRR on PS5 and I hope Sony will utilize in a same manner as 40FPS Ratchet and Clank.

Been playing quite a bit of this and I have to say there is times it looks amazing and other times it looks pretty horrible. It doesn’t seem consistent. I feel John may have given the game a by because he is a fan. The damage on the cars is also atrocious. Like a simple scrape texture is added.
The weather effects are also pretty pure in comparison to forza 7 which came out 5 years ago.

I went back and played some FM7 yesterday after someone here said that fm7 'looks better than gt7. I scoffed at that comment a bit but I'm saddened to say that we'll, fm7 on my xb1x kinda does give gt7 a run for its money. Gt7 is a lot cleaner looking with less aliasing but in terms of track and environmental detail? I dunno. It's those damn 2-d trees and cardboard cutout npcs that polyphony insists on using. I swear wtf were they thinking with that.

Also, HDR pops a lot more in forza. Hdr in gt7 is more subtle than I had thought it would be. So yeah man, I dunno I think they could've done a but better with gt7. 5 years after fm7 on a newer gen of hardware should equate to something that doesn't just have a small edge over fm7.

Most of that processing power gets soaked up in features that don't translate to a massive difference. Not at 10-12TF level anyways. I think with racing games maybe 20+ TF is needed for full ray tracing like we see in certain mods to get that wow effect, the current consoles just give us a half step forward.
I think when you have incredible devs like Guerilla they can give you something that exceeds ps4 pros image quality, settings, AND 2x the fps.
Guerilla failed on the image quality front though in Horizon:fw's 60 fps mode. It's undeniably worse than Horizon 1.

Top Bottom