• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 on PlayStation 5: The Digital Foundry Tech Review

MrFunSocks

Banned
It was supposed to launch April-June 2021 or at least that was the goal. It got delayed to 2022 and Ryan or Hulst was on the record of saying it wasn't till recently that they decided on a PS4 version.
"Gran Turismo 7, after all, was outright advertised as a PS5 exclusive in December, although to be fair to Sony, I understand the decision to release a PS4 version was made only fairly recently."

That’s the person who wrote the article speculating, and they’re wrong.

Unknown?

That’s the person who wrote the article speculating, and they’re wrong.
You're right, I misread that. However what we do know is when it was announced it was only in development for PS5. It was the only one that said PS5 exclusive. Spiderman and God of War never were advertised that way just omitted the mention of a PS4 version.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You're right, I misread that. However what we do know is when it was announced it was only in development for PS5. It was the only one that said PS5 exclusive. Spiderman and God of War never were advertised that way just omitted the mention of a PS4 version.
Lol no. It was always developed as a PS4 game first and then a PS5 “port” second.

Hey mods, am I gonna get reply banned from this comparison thread for no reason as well like I just was from the IGN GT7 one? Would love to know the rules about what gets you reply banned.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It was supposed to launch April-June 2021 or at least that was the goal. It got delayed to 2022 and Ryan or Hulst was on the record of saying it wasn't till recently that they decided on a PS4 version.
"Gran Turismo 7, after all, was outright advertised as a PS5 exclusive in December, although to be fair to Sony, I understand the decision to release a PS4 version was made only fairly recently."

GT7 was delayed because of covid related development issues. Straight from the horse's mouth:

GT7 has been impacted by Covid-related production challenges and therefore will shift from 2021 to 2022,” Ryan said. “With the ongoing pandemic, it’s a dynamic and changing situation and some critical aspects of game production have been slowed over the past several months. We’ll share more specifics on GT7’s release date when available.”

Last edited:

John Wick

I am really looking forward to how they compare with each other.
Turn 10 have done everything to get the best game out they are capable of at this point. New hardware only, new game engine designed from the ground up to take advantage of the full raft of DX12 U extensions, and the extra time they have taken to develop the game as well.
Let's just say the up coming GT7 vs Forza MS threads on GAF are gonna be lit. Mods get ready.
Seeing as FM is being built ground up for Series consoles it will be graphically better. It's clear that GT7 is a PS4 game modified for PS5. Maybe the next one will be true next gen.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yeah and at that time it was still advertised as PS5 only. I wasn't saying it got delayed due to a port, just that the delay made them reassess things and decide to do one.
Which is wrong. The game was always a PS4 game from day 1. The PS5 version was then added later in the development stage.

fatmarco

Seeing as FM is being built ground up for Series consoles it will be graphically better. It's clear that GT7 is a PS4 game modified for PS5. Maybe the next one will be true next gen.
Well see.

The artists at Turn 10 aren't exactly at the level of Playground and historically, Polyphony. Hence why their games, despite being technical achievements, have never quite dominated GT visually at any point.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That is ridiculously close considering the gap in hardware. I knew the first time I saw it on Ps5 that it looked like a ps4 game with enhancements, that's exactly what it is. Gameplay side by sides are especially close.
This is literally the exact opposite of whats being said in the clip tho..

"there are alot of difference, more than I expected"

This same thing was said about Forbidden West too.

But by all means, you do you.

Last edited:

Romulus

This is literally the exact opposite of whats being said in the clip tho..

"there are alot of difference, more than I expected"

This same thing was said about Forbidden West too.

But by all means, you do you.

I watched the video, and I completely disagree outside of DF 300% zoom lenses and replays. It simply is not a big difference at all in normal side by sides zoomed out the way we actually play it.

Romulus

Cherry picking of course, but someone brought up Horizon on PS5 vs ps4 pro.

With Horizon, you get 2x the framerate on ps5 AND better visuals than the ps4 pro.

That's not even remotely close here.

kyliethicc

PS5 loads in under 1 second
PS4 loads in over 33 seconds

LsihjWO.jpg

With Horizon, you get 2x the framerate on ps5 AND better visuals than the ps4 pro.

Nah it's basically the same.

HFW PS4 1080p 30 Hz
HFW PS4P 1800pCB 30 Hz
HFW PS5 2160p 30 Hz + better visuals
HFW PS5 1800pCB 60 Hz + better visuals

GT7 PS4 1080p 60 Hz
GT7 PS4P 1800pCB 60 Hz
GT7 PS5 2160p 60 Hz + better visuals

And faster loading, etc. Only thing missing is a 120 Hz mode on PS5 for GT7.

Last edited:

TrippleA345

They said after a patch the loading times were improved and showed an example. 0.09 sec. vs 33,17 sec. for on one specific track. Thats quite good. 2-3 sec would already be pretty fast but 1/10! of a sec. is impressive so far.

Last edited:

jroc74

I watched the video, and I completely disagree outside of DF 300% zoom lenses and replays. It simply is not a big difference at all in normal side by sides zoomed out the way we actually play it.
Ok, I just hope this same energy is applied to other games, analysis.

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean, because they also explained some of the game design differences here too.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That is ridiculously close considering the gap in hardware. I knew the first time I saw it on Ps5 that it looked like a ps4 game with enhancements, that's exactly what it is. Gameplay side by sides are especially close.
The video shows the complete opposite.
Difference is really remarkable.

Mr Moose

2.9x more pixels and higher effects and other stuff.

ethomaz

Banned
Not in actual gameplay without 300% zoom. I believe Horizon is far more noticeable, especially when you consider the 2x gap in framerate.
You don’t need zoom to see it… c’mon.

Edit - I will give you another theory.
The video has 22 minutes and it was released a hour ago.

How can you have watched it 53 minutes ago? Did you just quote the post without watch? Or did you just watch 5 minutes?

Last edited:

Romulus

Ok, I just hope this same energy is applied to other games, analysis.

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean, because they also explained some of the game design differences here too.

They also explained the differences with Horizon, yet it achieves 2x the framerate while looking superior in an open world.

Romulus

Edit - I will give you another theory.
The video has 22 minutes and it was released a hour ago.

How can you have watched it 53 minutes ago? Did you just quote the post without watch? Or did you just watch 5 minutes?

There's literally comments in the video that are 3 hours old.

jroc74

They also explained the differences with Horizon, yet it achieves 2x the framerate while looking superior in an open world.
Still not sure what you're trying to say here.

GT7:

doesnt have a 30 fps mode for game play.
Its using a native 4K resolution.

the mode it does have thats 30 fps is for ray tracing during replays, photos and Scapes. Yeah a ray tracing mode that can be turned on and off.

Again, I dont know what you're trying to say here.

I think Forbidden West looks amazing, but the car details in GT7 are even more amazing.

ethomaz

Banned
There's literally comments in the video that are 3 hours old.
Because they commented when the video was uploading and not released yet.

And it just one comment btw… all others are 1 hour and 30 minutes from now.

Last edited:

Romulus

Still not sure what you're trying to say here.

GT7:

doesnt have a 30 fps mode for game play.
Its using a native 4K resolution.

the mode it does have thats 30 fps is for ray tracing during replays, photos and Scapes. Yeah a ray tracing mode that can be turned on and off.

Again, I dont know what you're trying to say here.

I think Forbidden West looks amazing, but the car details in GT7 are even more amazing.

I'm not comparing Horizon vs GT7 in graphics, they're too different. I'm just saying Horizon is way more of a showcase for the PS5. I think GT7 is more a of showcase of a peak PS4 game running on all cylinders. The PS4 Pro version is literally amazing looking considering it's running on that shitty CPU.

Unknown?

Did you watch the comparisons? Trial Mountain is night and day between PS4 and PS5.

Romulus

Because they commented when the video was uploading and not released yet.

And it just one comment btw… all others are 1 hour and 30 minutes from now.

I feel like every thread if someone disagrees with you, you'll do whatever you can to discredit them. Look, if you want to believe your ps5 version is leagues above the ps4 version, go ahead. I would agree with Horizon, but not in this case. I would be completely happy playing this on a ps4 pro but that's not the case at all with Horizon. So do you have an exact time it was posted?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Post the exact time it was posted. Not "an hour ago" because that's vague.
It is no vague at all.

BTW Upload Time (UTC): 14:59:32

That is when the video was posted by DF and but it was processing yet.

The guy that posted the video here: 14:09 (UTC).
Your comment: 14:39 (UTC)

The video has 22m08s.
Even if you watched when DF posted you did not watch in 4k… if you watched when the GAFer posted you skipped parts of the video and I can’s really say 4k was available already (some videos take one hour to 4k shows).

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I posted 40minutes after that and 20 minutes after it was posted here. 22-minute video.
So you did not watch in 4k?
That explain the denial and the need to zoom.
Watch it again in 4k in a 4k TV and not a small screen like mobile phone (no game will had differences in a mobile screen lol).

Last edited:

jroc74

I'm not comparing Horizon vs GT7 in graphics, they're too different. I'm just saying Horizon is way more of a showcase for the PS5. I think GT7 is more a of showcase of a peak PS4 game running on all cylinders. The PS4 Pro version is literally amazing looking considering it's running on that shitty CPU.
Ok, for this I will give you the benefit of the doubt, because it seemed like legit trolling.

That said, GT7 has a ray tracing mode and Forbidden West doesnt.
GT7 is native 4K at 60, Forbidden West is native 4K at 30.

And both games show clear differences when under the microscope of analysis to the last gen versions.

Not directed at you...but can we for a minute recognize that once upon a time the PS5 wasnt supposed to be able to run games at native 4K.

Romulus

So you did not watch in 4k?
That explain the denial and the need to zoom.
Watch it again in 4k in a 4k TV and not a small screen like mobile phone (no game will had differences in a mobile screen lol).

Omg dude. Just stop. You accuse me of "not having enough time to watch it" then you realized that was wrong, now you're pivoting to my 4k TV. What's next? Are you wearing your glasses? lol

Unknown?

Omg dude. Just stop. You accuse me of "not having enough time to watch it" then you realized that was wrong, now you're pivoting to my 4k TV. What's next? Are you wearing your glasses? lol
Well as I said I strongly disagree. Differences in Trial Mountain are night and day between the two versions.

Romulus

Ok, for this I will give you the benefit of the doubt, because it seemed like legit trolling.

That said, GT7 has a ray tracing mode and Forbidden West doesnt.
GT7 is native 4K at 60, Forbidden West is native 4K at 30.

And both games show clear differences when under the microscope of analysis to the last gen versions.

Not directed at you...but can we for a minute recognize that once upon a time the PS5 wasnt supposed to be able to run games at native 4K.

Yeah, I'm not trolling at all. The RT bet ended up being expensive and less pronounced in actual gameplay without zoom. I feel like maybe in the beginning they wanted to do RT and the result with the ps5 maybe wasn't as good as they thought, but they had already committed. That's speculation on my part.
Racers are less demanding than open-world action RPGs, so I can easily see 4k 60fps not being a problem(even though it has drops). I think even the old X1X from last gen did Forza 7 4k 60fps with a shitty tablet CPU. Obviously, that's older tech etc but it still looked great at the time.

Unknown?

I'm hoping to see a split screen analysis. See how much of a hit it takes in that mode. So glad that GT still has couch co-op.

Rudius

GT7 on PS5 runs natively at 3x the pixels of the Pro, with better shadows, draw distance, reflections, car lods, environment poly count, more grass, trees, particles, better lighting, anti-aliasing, higher resolution textures. Not to mention 1 second loadings vs 30 to 40 seconds.

It also runs at double the framerate in the replays.

Last edited:

Romulus

GT7 on PS5 runs natively at 3x the pixels of the Pro, with better shadows, draw distance, reflections, car lods, environment poly count, more grass, trees, particles, better lighting, anti-aliasing, higher resolution textures. Not to mention 1 second loadings vs 30 to 40 seconds.

The loading times are easily the most impressive difference by a massive margin. Everything else is just a long list of small differences that don't translate to much on the screen outside of zoom lenses and replays or "shinier" in certain corners. Those load times though, even if the PS4 pro version looked better or ran better and was cheaper, I would still buy the ps5 version for those load times.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PS4 Pro version looking pretty damn good and competitive for last gen.

Top: PS5 - Bottom PS4 Pro.

And unlike Horizon, it's still 60 FPS in game play too. Good shit.

G8Iofrq.jpg

NEu7TOa.jpg

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I proved you did not watch it at time you made the first post about it lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom