• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 |OT| Hitting the Apex

Honestly...it's 3am here where i live.
I was just going to try this out at midnight cause i work tomorrow. I just turned my PS5 off 5 minutes ago.

I played for 3 hours and i didn't even realize time had gone by so fast. I honestly can't remember the last time a game did this to me.
As soon as the first menu came up i could tell this was a Gran Turismo game. The attention to detail is everywhere...even in something as simple as a menu.

Then the opening video started and i was hooked. The way the game starts opening up right away. The way you level up as you collect cars and not as you drive is honestly amazing. Gran Turismo was always about cars and collecting them is a huge part of it. I was looking at my car collection and that menu feels like a Pokemon game with the ones you don't have all greyed out. I just know i'll try and get them all in here as well.

Anyway, i already did some licences, races, one championship, earned like 8 trophies...and as i was about to turn this off i realized why i was so hooked: It's everything Gran Turismo has ever been since i was a kid until Sport...but updated to 2022...and this time you didn't need to wait for a year of updates to have the game to play in an amazing way. On day one this game feels like it's been out for a long time. It's much more polished than any GT since GT4. And above all of this it made me nostalgic and think about how this is the longest running IP PlayStation has and the one with the longest history. Basically as a 33 year old this IP grew with me...and i started to think about all the previous entries i experienced so far. From the moment my dad gave me GT2 for PSOne when i was a kid, to how amazed i was with GT3, to how much i played GT4 split screen with my cousin during summer vacations back when i was a teenager...to the pain i felt when i bought GT5 after 2 years since release and needed 3 hours to install all updates when i was in college with a bad internet connection...to the most recent Sport.

This is the perfect Gran Turismo for people that have been with PlayStation since day one, but it also doesn't neglect new generations that started with Sport or even people that never even bought that one. It made me think that yeah, no matter how much PlayStation changes, we still have Gran Turismo with us and honestly better than ever.

Sorry for this text wall no one will ever read. Finally going to sleep (for 5 hours, god damn it)

Last edited:
Almost time!!!!
THG3wtE.jpg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Assume everyone’s game is working, surprisingly great intro, I like the classic car.

Slaylock

I came so close to hitting the preorder button, but I just can’t get my head around the $70 price tag. For some reason $60 seemed acceptable but $70 is a bridge too far for me.

I guess I’ll wait for a sale (or play it on Spartacus 🤞).

rolandss

It's everything Gran Turismo has ever been since i was a kid until Sport...but updated to 2022...and this time you didn't need to wait for a year of updates to have the game to play in an amazing way.
I’ve had the exact opposite experience. I live in Australia, and had preorders the disc edition of the 25th anniversary edition.

I picked it up at 10am and was home and popped the disc into my PS5 to start installing by 10:30am. It’s now 4:41pm here and I took the day off work to play this game.

The disc installed about 12gb, and then it has to download 96gb. It is still downloading. 6 fucking hours later. This has been the worst experience I’ve ever had with something like this.

I don’t know why the FUCK they are selling disc versions of the game that don’t have the fucking game on it!!! I’ve been looking forward to this game for years and it’s the reason I bought a PS5 and I’m stuck here watching a fucking download screen all fucking day.

Inviusx

I’ve had the exact opposite experience. I live in Australia, and had preorders the disc edition of the 25th anniversary edition.

I picked it up at 10am and was home and popped the disc into my PS5 to start installing by 10:30am. It’s now 4:41pm here and I took the day off work to play this game.

The disc installed about 12gb, and then it has to download 96gb. It is still downloading. 6 fucking hours later. This has been the worst experience I’ve ever had with something like this.

I don’t know why the FUCK they are selling disc versions of the game that don’t have the fucking game on it!!! I’ve been looking forward to this game for years and it’s the reason I bought a PS5 and I’m stuck here watching a fucking download screen all fucking day.

Had pretty much the exact experience as you fellow Aus bro. Picked up the game at 10, installed the "music rally" mode and the waited 3.5 hours for the rest to download.

It sucked, an absolute waste of a disc. Oh and I took the day off from work as well haha. I'm in now and just started the campaign and got all gold on the National B license. A bit painful getting here but that's life I guess.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I haven’t played a gt since 4 what POV do people normally play these games in?
I've pretty much always played with bumper view, but I'm thinking of trying out hood for this game. Once in awhile I play in cockpit view, but it's hard to see.

When it gets VR support I'll be playing that way as much as possible.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The lighting really improves the visuals by a lot. Can't wait for my first rainy race!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Fantastic first impressions. Have not dived into a GT game since 5 which was short lived. 3 was my pinnacle, and 100% PC gaming around the time 4 came out so I didn’t bother with it.

This game truly does feel like a love letter accumulated from 25 years of the franchise. 25 years already, time flies.

Just oozes with that car culture swagu. Will immerse myself fully tomorrow and throughout the weekend.

I will leave you all with this beautiful night shot.

2-D526645-812-A-4002-982-C-5-F13-E9389-F21.png

Last edited:

DJ12

I've pretty much always played with bumper view, but I'm thinking of trying out hood for this game. Once in awhile I play in cockpit view, but it's hard to see.

When it gets VR support I'll be playing that way as much as possible.
I'm normally on bumper cam too but this looks too damn good, cockpit view only for me with this I think.

One feature I really like and it's minor but no other game seems to do it, is when you look back it actually does so from where you are, so if your in the cockpit and look back your still in the car and can see the back seat.

Likewise with hood view, when you look back you can still see the boot.

I guess this and all the other small things kaz does are why I really love this game.

I played for 2 hours last night after telling myself I'd only do one race.

And it didn't even feel like 2 hours, I thought I'd been at it half an hour lol

This is going to eat my free time like no other game.

Last edited:

SSfox

Bought it but won't launch it until at least i finish my first run of Elden Ring.

So many great games bruh i cannnnnnnnnnnnn't. Times like this that remind me that sub services with monthly random ass games are definitely not for me.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
I ended up going to bed just before 2am after collecting the first 3 cars and getting golds in the first 10 licence tests. I could have carried on playing it through the morning, but, you know, work and stuff. All I can say as that it made me smile from ear to ear a good few times and I can’t wait to get stuck into it properly.

One thing I will say, is that I prefer the replays without RT because the cars just look cleaner. Other than that, it’s a stunning looking game. In fact, I’m surprised at how different it looks and feels to GT Sport.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I bought the deluxe edition on my US account (I live in EU) and I'm worried I won't get the bonus credits on my main account.

Have anyone tried this?

I am surprised that some reviewers are struggling with the concept of the music rally mode. I mean, it‘s literally just a checkpoint race, similar to Outrun, but instead of seconds counting down, it’s beats per minute.
That sounds pretty neat, a Wipeout with that mode would rule... Just need to get a ps5!

8BiTw0LF

Banned
When I redeemed my first roulette ticket the 1 million credits automatically got added to my wallet
Yeah I tried opening the game on my US account and received all the goodies on that :messenger_pensive: not on my main EU account. Can we gift stuff to each other in GT7?

TrebleShot

I’ve only played 2 hours and it’s a joy to play the haptics, the controls the visuals and the concept of it all are absolutely excellent AAA tier.

Already my Game of the month March 2022.

Certinty

Despite the few complaints I have with the game what I will say is that I agree with everyone saying time absolutely flies by playing this. I can't remember the last time I had a four hour session of gaming and when I did that with this it honestly felt like 2 hours max.

Top Bottom