• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Movie | First Look and Logo Revealed (Coming August 11, 2023)

supernova8

Banned
I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with it. The casting is great, so I have hope. And "true story" films can have that underdog vibe that can be inspiring and emotionally fulfilling.

I just hope they can match the emotional beats and vibes of Ford vs. Ferrari -- which I feel is the best car racing film and the best advert for Gran Turismo yet.
I think this is the problem. It's going to get compared to Ford vs Ferrari no matter what, but will inevitably be magnitudes shitter due to it probably having a way smaller production budget. I mean just look at the tiny snippet they showed. I'm getting "well-made above-average fan-made movie" vibes more than anything.

Honestly I don't understand why they're making a Gran Turismo movie lol. There's no "story" to tell unless they're going to show some dude farming the Sunday Cup to save up for his first proper car.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Love that they used shots (and sounds) that match the in game camera angles. Nice nod

nCkYUhL.jpg

Plot twist: it's actually GT8.

Erebus

This movie could be an instant cult classic if they had Sophy become self-aware and then tried to enslave humanity and let the world be run by sports cars.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think this is the problem. It's going to get compared to Ford vs Ferrari no matter what, but will inevitably be magnitudes shitter due to it probably having a way smaller production budget. I mean just look at the tiny snippet they showed. I'm getting "well-made above-average fan-made movie" vibes more than anything.

Honestly I don't understand why they're making a Gran Turismo movie lol. There's no "story" to tell unless they're going to show some dude farming the Sunday Cup to save up for his first proper car.
There's actually a fantastic story here, and that's what they are banking on: a true story of a video gamer who used to play Gran Turismo games at home, decided to become a professional racer, and achieves his dream. He has raced with professionals now on famous tracks like Daytona and Le Mans.

That is a wonderful story and a perfect advert for the Gran Turismo video games too.

ManaByte

Idea of a kid playing driving games and became a real-life winning driver that based on real story is stupid?

Yes because this is a Hollywood movie produced by people who don't know what video games are and think they know what eSports are made by the same studio who wanted to make a Spider-Man movie where he was a Snapchatting EDM fan.

A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”…..wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way….he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense….and it’s all NBD to him, of course.
- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it
- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

These are the geniuses making a GT movie focusing on eSports.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Harbour is a horrible bit of casting for a GT driver. Is he meant to be the team leader? Because his fat ass would drop a tenth every lap.

FunkMiller

Based on the footage he looks like an eSports promoter.

I've just read that he's an ex-driver, who comes out of retirement to train the kid.

Because six foot two, fat ass Americans are famous for driving European GT cars...

This is likely going to be a disaster, written and directed by people who don't understand top level motorsport, given that bit of casting.

Guaranteed we'll get a shot of them changing gears while doing 200 down the Mulsanne Straight :pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

Unknown?

I've just read that he's an ex-driver, who comes out of retirement to train the kid.

Because six foot two, fat ass Americans are famous for driving European GT cars...

This is likely going to be a disaster, written and directed by people who don't understand top level motorsport, given that bit of casting.

Guaranteed we'll get a shot of them changing gears while doing 200 down the Mulsanne Straight :pie_eyeroll:
Ahhh that'd be like Fast and Furious! Always forgetting they have an extra gear until they're neck and neck.

FunkMiller

Ahhh that'd be like Fast and Furious! Always forgetting they have an extra gear until they're neck and neck.

It's the dumbest shit going. I understand it for a fantasy like Fast & Furious, but if they're wanting to make a film about actual racing, then I hope they don't do stupid shit like that. I'm not going to hold my breath though. I'm sure they'll be finding a higher gear on the straight, or sawing at the wheel going around an apex. All with fat old David Harbour at the wheel :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would watch it if it took place inside a coffee shop where all the car experts have come to enjoy car talk over a cup of java. I’d watch that.

This has some “young and dumb” feeling to it. Must be Hollywood’s interpretation of the American gamer.

TheMan

There's actually a fantastic story here, and that's what they are banking on: a true story of a video gamer who used to play Gran Turismo games at home, decided to become a professional racer, and achieves his dream. He has raced with professionals now on famous tracks like Daytona and Le Mans.

That is a wonderful story and a perfect advert for the Gran Turismo video games too.
That sounds interesting, although I think Sony already did this? I swear I watched a documentary series of vids on YouTube with this exact premise. If I recall the video gamers mostly ended up sucking or being unable the physical strain

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That sounds interesting, although I think Sony already did this? I swear I watched a documentary series of vids on YouTube with this exact premise. If I recall the video gamers mostly ended up sucking or being unable the physical strain
This story is about just one person though, Jann Mardenborough https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jann_Mardenborough

So they'd not be talking about the failures 😄 just the guy who succeeded.

Tams

Thank goodness they got their film division to do it, not some shitty Japanese production house.

Outlier

Basically a kid becoming a real racer by training in GT but highly dramatized for movie purposes. Based on a true story too.
This is what I expected, since it's a story many GT players can relate to.

If this movie is to be made, then this is the perfect story to tell, with it.

Just hope it's good.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I asked OpenAI to write the story:

The protagonist, Jack, is a young and successful race car driver who is passionate about veganism, hot yoga, and EDM. He is known for his impressive driving skills and for being a bit of a rebel in the racing world.

Despite his success, Jack struggles with maintaining a healthy work-life balance and often finds himself sacrificing his personal interests for his career.

When Jack's mechanic, a talented woman of color named Sarah, suggests that he take a break from racing to focus on his health and well-being, Jack initially resists. However, after a series of setbacks and injuries, Jack realizes that Sarah may be right and decides to take a break from racing.

During his time off, Jack reconnects with his estranged family and begins to prioritize his personal life. He starts practicing hot yoga regularly and even takes up vegan cooking.

As Jack starts to find balance in his life, he also begins to see the value in Sarah's skills and starts to appreciate her as more than just a mechanic.

When Jack finally returns to racing, he is a changed man. He is more focused and driven, but also more mindful of his health and well-being. With Sarah's help, he is able to win the championship and become the top driver in the world.

In the end, Jack learns that success isn't just about winning races, but also about finding balance and living a fulfilling life.

TexMex

Can you share with us what you believe would be a better story to tell for a GT movie designed to be seen in theaters?

No, I’m not a creative. I’m the consumer. I think that this looks bad and is a dumb idea for a movie. If I had a better idea, I would be writing movies for a living.

This comment is like when someone is critical of a pro athlete after a game, there’s always that one guy who says something like “yeah well YOU couldn’t do better!!” Well, yeah, no fucking shit dingus. I can barely run 2 miles without being out of breath. That doesn’t mean they had a good game though.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

warm-in-the-sunshine-this-week-before-wintry-winds-snow-march-322551-3_768.jpeg

Off voice: Since I was little, I have always wanted to be a racing driver, video games have taught me to follow my unattainable goals.

Now that I am a pilot, I will continue giving my best effort.

And this is not my destiny, it is not my life.

5184a260eba9dd0e9b0405f4f5105cbd.gif

Amber: What is it then honey?

Amber-Heard-in-Aquaman.jpg

Orlando:

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f76504d7045476c4d7a30376571413d3d2d3239323138363338332e313436373131613561626330363034623432333532383834343132362e676966

Orlando: It's my Gran Turismo...

Public in the cinema:

damn-damn-damn-damn.gif

DAMN!!!! WHAT A AWFUL LINE

Yes because this is a Hollywood movie produced by people who don't know what video games are and think they know what eSports are made by the same studio who wanted to make a Spider-Man movie where he was a Snapchatting EDM fan.
You saw the film?
It's made because they can and Kaz wanted it. What's wrong about that?

Last edited:

TexMex

You saw the film?
It's made because they can and Kaz wanted it. What's wrong about that?

You don’t have to see the film to make reasonable assumptions at this point. ManaByte ManaByte isnt saying something without grounds. We have 30 years of video game adaptations that range from unwatchable at worst to mediocre at best. All of this junk should be met with a healthy dose of skepticism at this point, they spent decades earning it.

ManaByte

You don’t have to see the film to make reasonable assumptions at this point. ManaByte ManaByte isnt saying something without grounds. We have 30 years of video game adaptations that range from unwatchable at worst to mediocre at best. All of this junk should be met with a healthy dose of skepticism at this point, they spent decades earning it.

1. I love Bloomkamp and love 2/3 of his movies. I will forever be mad at Ridley Scott for killing Blomkamp's Aliens sequel.
2. I do not trust modern Hollywood to make a non-cringe movie focusing on eSports.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
1. I love Bloomkamp and love 2/3 of his movies. I will forever be mad at Ridley Scott for killing Blomkamp's Aliens sequel.
2. I do not trust modern Hollywood to make a non-cringe movie focusing on eSports.
This, I agree. Hopefully it has a more serious tone.

Fuck man, are you always this negative when it comes to anything related to movies? I've noticed this in the Avatar and DCEU threads too.

Neogaf is the one site where I consistently see people wanting things to fail. Its fucking bizarre.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Tell me you never watched drivers and teams of some IMSA Gr3 and Gr4 races, without telling me. Because I see a lot of middle-aged stout dad bods with FU money racing and winning in them. And a lot are Canadian and American as well.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Tell me you never watched drivers and teams of some IMSA Gr3 and Gr4 races, without telling me. Because I see a lot of middle-aged stout dad bods with FU money racing and winning in them. And a lot are Canadian and American as well.

Nope. I just watch actual, proper GT races 😉

FunkMiller

Fuck man, are you always this negative when it comes to anything related to movies? I've noticed this in the Avatar and DCEU threads too.

Neogaf is the one site where I consistently see people wanting things to fail. Its fucking bizarre.

I‘m positive about good movies. This year The Batman, Top Gun, Everthing Everywhere…

What you’re actually mad about is me not liking stuff that you do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom