• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand theft auto 6 details.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
QCtNXAu.jpg

Droxcy

Very hungry for this game and anything Rockstar releases, I feel like 6 will take it to the next level in terms of size I'm hoping.

If that is true, it is probably another case of forced diversity in games. I have nothing against women, since I am married and also have a daughter, but I don't want to be forced to play as one. Why not giving the option to choose, like in the Assassin Creed games, I think that works very well.

And I am getting tired of this whole more women in the gaming industry movement, the most qualified person should get a job at a company regardless of gender, race or sexual orientation. Of course it is important to be careful that the person in charge of hiring is not against women and give everyone the same chance.

But it is just a fact that the majority of gamers by a big margin are men and that is because more men are interested in gaming and most women have other interests. And this is something that will never change or does someone seriously think more men love shopping in the future and men and women become basically the same?

ReBurn

Gold Member
If that is true, it is probably another case of forced diversity in games. I have nothing against women, since I am married and also have a daughter, but I don't want to be forced to play as one. Why not giving the option to choose, like in the Assassin Creed games, I think that works very well.

And I am getting tired of this whole more women in the gaming industry movement, the most qualified person should get a job at a company regardless of gender, race or sexual orientation. Of course it is important to be careful that the person in charge of hiring is not against women and give everyone the same chance.

But it is just a fact that the majority of gamers by a big margin are men and that is because more men are interested in gaming and most women have other interests. And this is something that will never change or does someone seriously think more men love shopping in the future and men and women become basically the same?
It's also a fact that nobody forces you to play any games. If a game has a female protagonist and you don't like it then make the choice to not play the game.

MastaKiiLA

Make the female lead part Wendy from Ozark, and part Ma-Ma from Dredd. A bad bitch that'll make you delicious buttermilk pancakes before throwing you off a balcony.

Given they are bringing GTA 5 to the next gen systems, 6 is going to be a while away!

but I don't want to be forced to play as one.

1. Can you not see the irony of you complaining about being forced to play as a female character despite the fact that has been the situation for female gamers for most of the history of the hobby?
  2. You aren't forced to play any particular game.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I believe the 70s / 80s / 90s setting, and its clearly gonna be in Vice City.

1 of the 2 or 3 playable character being female seems obvious.

Fall 2022 release? Lets hope.

Re-releasing a slightly updated GTA 5 in 2021 makes sense as a way to build up hype.

TheContact

It would be cool if the male/female is an option at the start and just carries through to the rest of the game. A lot of games have done this for a while, but GTA is so story and character focused it might be a little difficult to pull off unless they do something like AC Odyssey did. Or maybe even something like star ocean 2

YCoCg

Also can I point how retarded gaming websites are for running this news "FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN THE SERIES" when the original Grand Theft Auto let you pick both men and women and GTA Online lets you play as a woman too. Is a bit of research too much to ask?

I hope that is all true. The incels raging against playing as a woman will be a very special moment I will savor fully. Much like it was when their older brothers were "forced" to play as or "couldn't identify with" a black player character in San Andreas.

Let's just hope Rockstar finally figured out how to makes guns not feel like GTA 3 levels of bullshit. Surely after billions of dollars in Shark Cards, they were able to staff the combat team fully instead of relying on interns.

Last edited:
I hope that is all true. The incels raging against playing as a woman will be a very special moment I will savor fully. Much like it was when their older brothers were "forced" to play as or "couldn't identify with" a black player character in San Andreas.

Let's just hope Rockstar finally figured out how to makes guns not feel like GTA 3 levels of bullshit. Surely after billions of dollars in Shark Cards, they were able to staff the combat team fully instead of relying on interns.
Just like you fully savor when leftist idiots are raging when playing as a heterosexual white man™?

cormack12

Gold Member

Who was this? lmao. Tales from my ass.

You are aware the split of female/male avatars is quite high for GTA:O? The main reason being photo mode - so whether you like the reason or not, plenty of people are already playing as females. This is also the same on RDR:O - which has a much higher of female players as well. But yeah, keep making an ass of yourself about games you don't play or have probably never touched.

You are aware the split of female/male avatars is quite high for GTA:O? The main reason being photo mode - so whether you like the reason or not, plenty of people are already playing as females. This is also the same on RDR:O - which has a much higher of female players as well. But yeah, keep making an ass of yourself about games you don't play or have probably never touched.

Ah, that wonderful GTA:O back in the San Andreas PS2 era. Reading comprehension seems to not be a strong suit of yours.

I have played and finished all the games in each series. I even suffered through PS3 GTA:O's insufferable load times, lack of activities and busted looking graphics for a spell. But, please, tell me more about games I have or have not played. So sensitive there, big boy, lol.

cormack12

Gold Member
Ah, that wonderful GTA:O back in the San Andreas PS2 era. Reading comprehension seems to not be a strong suit of yours.

I have played and finished all the games in each series. I even suffered through PS3 GTA:O's insufferable load times, lack of activities and busted looking graphics for a spell. But, please, tell me more about games I have or have not played. So sensitive there, big boy, lol.

No. The reading comprehension is your issue. You are trying to push two distinct conversations into one to try and not look stupid. This isn't twitter. You said

Much like it was when their older brothers were "forced" to play as or "couldn't identify with" a black player character in San Andreas.

To which my response was to ask for receipts with this statement

You then went on to reference the original post about female playable characters with this hot take from the surface of twitter

I hope that is all true. The incels raging against playing as a woman will be a very special moment I will savor fully

To which I responded it won't be an issue because if you look at GTA:O there is a precedent already. There are literally hundrends of thousands of players who happily play as female avatars and don't incel out. And then provided the official R* photo mode archives to show they are actually quite popular and dominate the pages, thus destroying your wished for hot take. So you're left holding yout hot take and nothing else. Where are the incels raging out that you can play as a female online? So as you're so heavy into the series, I can see you are maybe speaking from your own experience where you will incel out?

7_X0wf.gif

Last edited:
No. The reading comprehension is your issue. You are trying to push two distinct conversations into one to try and not look stupid. This isn't twitter. You said

Much like it was when their older brothers were "forced" to play as or "couldn't identify with" a black player character in San Andreas.

To which my response was to ask for receipts with this statement

You then went on to reference the original post about female playable characters with this hot take from the surface of twitter

I hope that is all true. The incels raging against playing as a woman will be a very special moment I will savor fully

To which I responded it won't be an issue because if you look at GTA:O there is a precedent already. There are literally hundrends of thousands of players who happily play as female avatars and don't incel out. And then provided the official R* photo mode archives to show they are actually quite popular and dominate the pages, thus destroying your wished for hot take. So you're left holding yout hot take and nothing else. Where are the incels raging out that you can play as a female online? So as you're so heavy into the series, I can see you are maybe speaking from your own experience where you will incel out?

7_X0wf.gif

Forum talk, from 15 years ago. Feel free to go dig up everything.

Nice attempt at turning the tables but you clearly are getting way too worked up by a single comment. Might be nap time for you soon so get some rest, cupcake.

cormack12

Gold Member

Nice attempt at turning the tables but you clearly are getting way too worked up by a single comment. Might be nap time for you soon so get some rest, cupcake.

Ah the old 'trying to make out someone is more bothered by something because you've been shown to be talking out your ass'. Was popular around 2008 I think. Enjoy bud.

Ah the old 'trying to make out someone is more bothered by something because you've been shown to be talking out your ass'. Was popular around 2008 I think. Enjoy bud.

now-kith-28569652.png

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
This is just fkn AWESOME

r/GTA6

Takeaway from yesterday’s patent post​

renderTimingPixel.png

I’ve read over the patent post from yesterday, and I noticed a lot of people missed the most exciting information in it. I’ll sum it up in non technical language:
It’s essentially a method to improve vehicle AI when driving
Currently, when NPCs drive on the road, they can sense a few cars around them to determine crashes or other things to drive around. This is “dumb” AI as it has very few factors to take into account, and requires a lot of computational resources. This is why vehicles despawn when far away, to free up the CPU.
Here’s a quote from the patent:
an additional drawback, conventional systems relied almost entirely on local traffic avoidance for NPCs to avoid collisions. This involves, each frame, checking the local environment for any potential obstructions (vehicles, pedestrians, objects), building up a view of that obstruction from the local vehicle (creating a front facing polygon which is a list of points/lines that the vehicle will need to avoid in order to not hit the obstruction), generating information about the road the vehicle is on so they can avoid going off-road into buildings and finally generating and detecting the best steering angle to avoid all the obstructions. This is done every frame for each entity and no knowledge of the previous frame is used. This can result in very late detection of potential issues and no high level knowledge of this road is blocked; instead, the system only indicates that there’s something in my way to be avoided. Vehicles cannot plan accordingly, for example, if there is any type of road blockage.
Rockstar's patent describes a system that primarily will change this and give NPCs more situational awareness. They will essentially have an objective of navigating from one location to another (simplified, but is essential in making routines similar to rdr2) and be able to take into account other external factors. Coolest of all,NPCS will still exist when your game isn’t rendering them in this implementation.
Specific examples mentioned by Rockstar state they will be able to use weather conditions, traffic, and crashes to determine where to go. Some areas might be dangerous in the rain, they might avoid it. If an area has too much traffic, they will avoid it. Possibly destructible environmental areas could be reacted to (similar to bridges in Just Cause, this point is speculation however ). Cars will also be able to take into account # of lanes and speed in their decisions. NPCs will be also able to take into account high speed chases, and be able to navigate if they themselves are speeding.
There will also be other reactions that are mentioned specifically, such as changing lanes before a highway exit appears, and as Rockstar puts it
driving slower on residential-type roads or having to perform certain maneuvers to avoid oncoming traffic on single-lane streets
The large part they also mention is this implementation uses a lot less processing power. The NPC schedules can be relayed by a central server (they could possibly use the console itself as well) and it doesn’t require the same constant surrounding analysis as previous AI. Rockstar mentions this will allow them to have denser traffic with the same resources.
A large aim also seems to be “realism.” Rockstar's patent mentions realistic reactions to various factors as being the main intent. For example, NPCs will each have different driving ability levels, based on the driver and the car:
each NPC can define its own specific characteristics for traversing the road nodes. These characteristics can define the distinction between vehicle types/models that have various speed restrictions and benefits. By way of example, various characteristics and parameters can include acceleration, times/distances, braking times/distances, top speed, cornering speeds
Essentially each driver will have its own profile, and have unique driving characteristics as well as skill level. Some might speed, others might not. Each vehicle will also affect the driving of these drivers.
Personally I find this very exciting. It builds an image of a denser world, with many variable environmental conditions. It remains to be seen to what degree this will be implemented, either way it’s a great find!
This also seems to give the idea that weather and changing conditions will have a large impact on the Gameworld. As the other patent posted today mentioned as well, response and varying environments are heavily emphasized. IMO this is biggest takeaway from this, and will be important even if it is not incorporated into GTA 6.
Keep in mind though, patents do not mean this tech will be used, or used to the full extent described. Companies often patent stuff that they might use and then decide not to use them due to lack of feasibility, or go for a broad patent and use it a lot more limitedly.

https://uspto.report/patent/app/20200338450 patent
Credit to /u/ElementNo28 for finding the patent

This is just fkn AWESOME

r/GTA6

Takeaway from yesterday’s patent post

renderTimingPixel.png

I’ve read over the patent post from yesterday, and I noticed a lot of people missed the most exciting information in it. I’ll sum it up in non technical language:
It’s essentially a method to improve vehicle AI when driving
Currently, when NPCs drive on the road, they can sense a few cars around them to determine crashes or other things to drive around. This is “dumb” AI as it has very few factors to take into account, and requires a lot of computational resources. This is why vehicles despawn when far away, to free up the CPU.
Here’s a quote from the patent:

Rockstar's patent describes a system that primarily will change this and give NPCs more situational awareness. They will essentially have an objective of navigating from one location to another (simplified, but is essential in making routines similar to rdr2) and be able to take into account other external factors. Coolest of all,NPCS will still exist when your game isn’t rendering them in this implementation.
Specific examples mentioned by Rockstar state they will be able to use weather conditions, traffic, and crashes to determine where to go. Some areas might be dangerous in the rain, they might avoid it. If an area has too much traffic, they will avoid it. Possibly destructible environmental areas could be reacted to (similar to bridges in Just Cause, this point is speculation however ). Cars will also be able to take into account # of lanes and speed in their decisions. NPCs will be also able to take into account high speed chases, and be able to navigate if they themselves are speeding.
There will also be other reactions that are mentioned specifically, such as changing lanes before a highway exit appears, and as Rockstar puts it

The large part they also mention is this implementation uses a lot less processing power. The NPC schedules can be relayed by a central server (they could possibly use the console itself as well) and it doesn’t require the same constant surrounding analysis as previous AI. Rockstar mentions this will allow them to have denser traffic with the same resources.
A large aim also seems to be “realism.” Rockstar's patent mentions realistic reactions to various factors as being the main intent. For example, NPCs will each have different driving ability levels, based on the driver and the car:

Essentially each driver will have its own profile, and have unique driving characteristics as well as skill level. Some might speed, others might not. Each vehicle will also affect the driving of these drivers.
Personally I find this very exciting. It builds an image of a denser world, with many variable environmental conditions. It remains to be seen to what degree this will be implemented, either way it’s a great find!
This also seems to give the idea that weather and changing conditions will have a large impact on the Gameworld. As the other patent posted today mentioned as well, response and varying environments are heavily emphasized. IMO this is biggest takeaway from this, and will be important even if it is not incorporated into GTA 6.
Keep in mind though, patents do not mean this tech will be used, or used to the full extent described. Companies often patent stuff that they might use and then decide not to use them due to lack of feasibility, or go for a broad patent and use it a lot more limitedly.

https://uspto.report/patent/app/20200338450 patent
Credit to /u/ElementNo28 for finding the patent
I just dont see this being implemented in the way described. They'd need to program thousands of nodes across the game world lining every road, and have them referenced constantly by thousands of basic AI routines running in the background. I can see it working in a more sparsely populated world like RDR, but GTA just doesn't seem likely to me. The return on investment as far as allocating resources goes just doesn't seem worth it.

Top Bottom