• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT2| Life's A Beach

Reule

The new update is pretty awesome. Flight school is pretty fun, I hope they add more missions to it in later updates. Hopefully a Driving School will open at some point so I can get frustrated at it like I did in San Andreas.

I wish you could get different colors for the flight suit but I have a feeling when heists are out they'll have the boiler suits ready in an assortment of colors.

Might not be a popular opinion but I still don't think the stats/money/clothes/cars should carry over from old gen to current gen. Start the slate clean, especially with all these updates. This is coming from someone who got to rank 42 too.
I'm wondering if there will be any issues with getting our characters on the new platforms. In any case, I'd still jump ship to the PS4 version without much thought.

I ran that Lamar mission "Ticket to Elysium" twice on hard (solo, free aim) and i think it might be bugged. The wanted level doesn't go away anymore (unless u call lester), i tested it out by dying and I respawned with a wanted level. I did this mission a few days before the patch with no problems. I hope that is the only one messed up.

Reule

I ran that Lamar mission "Ticket to Elysium" twice on hard (solo, free aim) and i think it might be bugged. The wanted level doesn't go away anymore (unless u call lester), i tested it out by dying and I respawned with a wanted level. I did this mission a few days before the patch with no problems. I hope that is the only one messed up.
Is that the one with the tanker? If so, I drove into the ground and then the mission failed. Twice.

Tawpgun

Seriously considering spending 60 bucks to buy this game digital on 360.

I really want to play GTA:O again and don't want to wait for whenever next gen GTA comes out. And Destiny is 2+ weeks away.

Fucking broken disc drive. It doesn't make sense to buy the game twice, wish there was a way to just prove you have the game and then get a free download.

I can probably hold out until Destiny but UUUGGGHHH

Seriously considering spending 60 bucks to buy this game digital on 360.

I really want to play GTA:O again and don't want to wait for whenever next gen GTA comes out. And Destiny is 2+ weeks away.

Fucking broken disc drive. It doesn't make sense to buy the game twice, wish there was a way to just prove you have the game and then get a free download.

I can probably hold out until Destiny but UUUGGGHHH

I think it's on sale this week. big R* sale right now.

MisterHero

I liked the original payouts. $500 felt reasonable for doing something for Gerald. Petty crimes get lower pay and so on.

That all changed with the DLC. The added vehicles are reasonably priced. However, new clothes, weapons, etc. are a little nutty. Not to mention car upgrades; the cost of which multiplies if you upgrade everytime you unlock something.

It was a pleasure to see the rebalanced pay system. It's absolutely terrific for multiplayer sessions. Missions like the below pay extremely well now:

-A Titan of a Job
-Satellite Communications
-The Los Santos Connection
-Defender

I haven't worked up the nerve to revisit missions involving cracking Merryweather's safe or breaking into the army base. Infinite enemies are my bane. Also Pick Up Sticks. Haven't finished that one yet.

Despite all those changes, RR is still good for a grind. The above missions pay well for multiplayer but they are also timesinks just because of travel time. RR could be completed twice or three times in the amount it takes to complete any of the fixed missions.

Ultimately R* did good. Let's just hope they keep up with fixing bugs and such.

I played for the first time in ages for the airplane playlist and unlockables. Fun stuff. Any chance I could get into the GAF clan? I'm on 360, gamertag is thoseAREmySHOES. I've had a request pending for GAF Street since online launched, not sure if that is even the right clan anymore.

GQman2121

Banned
Seems like the last two updates have added some good times to the multiplayer. I wonder if all this is going to be ready for the current gen game whenever it finally launches. You know they're going to add some exclusive items to entice people to pull the trigger, but I really want to checkout all of the current stuff too.

Ted

Played a little on Sunday evening and managed at least to complete the event playlist for the parachute unlock. I quite enjoyed the new events. The Airforce One capture type PvP mission is fun and the hold the flag one is also a good laugh though I wish more people actually understood that just shooting anyone is pointless and instead focused their attention on the flag carrier.

I still haven't finished Flight School at all. I need to actually attempt the final event as well as gold the shooting range and flag collecting ones (I think bronze is my best in both and I don't think I have the patience to retry the shooting range one much). Once complete maybe I'll go back and replay the ones where I scraped a gold or know I could go faster/score better but I seem to get far to easily distracted so probably won't!

I wondered whilst playing the flag collecting flight school mission whether this could work as a PvP game as well. One hundred flags scattered over the map, five minute timer (or all flags collected), winning team is the one with the most flags. I see no reason why it could work with planes, helis, boats, cars and bikes either separated into different game types or all together in one spectacular vehicular orgy of flag collecting.

Tawpgun

Played a little on Sunday evening and managed at least to complete the event playlist for the parachute unlock. I quite enjoyed the new events. The Airforce One capture type PvP mission is fun and the hold the flag one is also a good laugh though I wish more people actually understood that just shooting anyone is pointless and instead focused their attention on the flag carrier.

I still haven't finished Flight School at all. I need to actually attempt the final event as well as gold the shooting range and flag collecting ones (I think bronze is my best in both and I don't think I have the patience to retry the shooting range one much). Once complete maybe I'll go back and replay the ones where I scraped a gold or know I could go faster/score better but I seem to get far to easily distracted so probably won't!

I wondered whilst playing the flag collecting flight school mission whether this could work as a PvP game as well. One hundred flags scattered over the map, five minute timer (or all flags collected), winning team is the one with the most flags. I see no reason why it could work with planes, helis, boats, cars and bikes either separated into different game types or all together in one spectacular vehicular orgy of flag collecting.

A Multiplayer collect the flag mission would be sweet.

that would be a cool mission, i liked that team oddball variant too where you had to hold the flag. Everyone was flying around in the open, when i eventually grabbed the flag i cut into the heart of city. I had a nice run til i crashed lol.

Tawpgun

that would be a cool mission, i liked that team oddball variant too where you had to hold the flag. Everyone was flying around in the open, when i eventually grabbed the flag i cut into the heart of city. I had a nice run til i crashed lol.

Dying with the flag isnt even that bad because you respawn so close to it you always get it before someone else usually.

I have yet to lose a game of that. So much fun. Usually if I get the flag and see an opening ill just book to to another part of the map while everyones busy fighting each other and dodging buildings. People generally stick to the homing missles which are super easy to dodge.

Wolfe

I never got around to playing the event playlist over the weekend, what were you able to get from it?

Did the flight school missions which were rather fun, getting gold on all of them wasn't too hard either. Wasn't surprised to see that any of the timed missions were already exploited as the world records were all .001 second times.

Razakin

I never got around to playing the event playlist over the weekend, what were you able to get from it?
Finishing the full event gave a High Flyer Chute Bag, so nothing special.

POfgD2m.jpg

And I'm glad that the Flight School doesn't give anything special when you get all golds, after that formation flight I was just ready to bronze them all. Especially shooting range and flag collecting are something that I probably will never get gold.

Tawpgun

Finishing the full event gave a High Flyer Chute Bag, so nothing special.

And I'm glad that the Flight School doesn't give anything special when you get all golds, after that formation flight I was just ready to bronze them all. Especially shooting range and flag collecting are something that I probably will never get gold.

As someone who golded it I'm disappointed. Havin a cool reward makes it something coveted that people want to work towards getting

Akai__

What's currently the best mission to do in online (EXP and cash wise)?

Haven't played a coupple of months and I just finished doing 100% in Singe Player.
The guy who thought the 3rd Triathlon aka Coyote Cross Country is a good idea, needs to be slapped. 30 minutes of spamming the A Button, really? I had to take several breaks, in order to complete it.

Tawpgun

Just bought the 6 car garage in the desert. Gonna stash my offroad vehicles there, and might even use it as my spawning location. The proximity to the airport is sweet.

MisterHero

As someone who golded it I'm disappointed. Havin a cool reward makes it something coveted that people want to work towards getting
Well some of the later ones give you almost $40k for getting Gold. Most of the time I get silver but I wanted the one-time Gold award so I kept abandoning the jet to restart it.

The Elitas shirt in general is just kind of boring. I would've thought the SA Flight School logo would've been more appropriate.

What's currently the best mission to do in online (EXP and cash wise)?

If you have friends do some of the thses missions.
-A Titan of a Job
-Defender

Did Docks to Stock 2 with some GAFers a few days ago. It's much harder without friends (one had a Buzzard) but it pays $27k.

FWIW I still think Rooftop is more efficient for SOLO players, but just by a really tiny margin. Either a supercar or an Akuma will shave lots of time from the driving section.

Some missions take as much time as 2 or more rounds of Rooftop, but all are faster than Survivals ($30k). So they're pretty good for now.

Haven't played a coupple of months and I just finished doing 100% in Singe Player.
The guy who thought the 3rd Triathlon aka Coyote Cross Country is a good idea, needs to be slapped. 30 minutes of spamming the A Button, really? I had to take several breaks, in order to complete it.
Congrats! Gotta for all the achievements next. Nothing was sweeter than clearing all the trophies on the ps3. Seeing that platinum pop up was such a great sight.

Akai__

If you have friends do some of the thses missions.
-A Titan of a Job
-Defender

Did Docks to Stock 2 with some GAFers a few days ago. It's much harder without friends (one had a Buzzard) but it pays $27k.

FWIW I still think Rooftop is more efficient for SOLO players, but just by a really tiny margin. Either a supercar or an Akuma will shave lots of time from the driving section.

Some missions take as much time as 2 or more rounds of Rooftop, but all are faster than Survivals ($30k). So they're pretty good for now.

My friends don't play GTA Online anymore, but I'll try my best with strangers. Thanks for the recommendations.

Congrats! Gotta for all the achievements next. Nothing was sweeter than clearing all the trophies on the ps3. Seeing that platinum pop up was such a great sight.

Yeah, I still need like most of the Online achievements. Will probably take a while, but I plan on doing them. Thankfully, these aren't so stupid, like the GTA4 online ones.

Ted

My friends don't play GTA Online anymore, but I'll try my best with strangers. Thanks for the recommendations.

Hi Akai, PS3 or XB360?

If PS3, send BaronVonBeans a PM and join the GAF crew (Gaming Age Family). Some of us are still pretty active and happy to play co-op. We play free aim and soft lock, with and without mics, badly (me) and with skills (everyone else), drunk and sober, so any preference is fine.

I'm also happy to add GTA:O playing GAF'ers to my friends list so feel free to send me a PM too. I'll admit now though that I have problems with my friends list (I think due to it being over 100, especially when the other person is also over 100) so sometimes people show up as online and sometimes they don't.

If you're are XB360 a few active users post here so perhaps scan the history of the thread.

Alternatively there are loads of active crews with open registration on the Rockstar Social Club website.

Hopefully we'll see you in LS.

Razakin

Happened upon a really good race (Hit The Apex by Zigmeister666) tonight with ted_wears_a_hat. Nicely challenging and fun to drive, so people on PS3 should check it (I assume that non-verified missions/races are just on the console they were made).

Ted

Happened upon a really good race (Hit The Apex by Zigmeister666)

Great track and more to the point incredible side by side racing. Good fun mate, good fun.

GTAV doesn't get enough credit for being an awesome open world arcade racer as well as regular old GTA.

Tigress

Great track and more to the point incredible side by side racing. Good fun mate, good fun.

GTAV doesn't get enough credit for being an awesome open world arcade racer as well as regular old GTA.

Heh, GTA to me seems to be a car/driving game that lets you do other stuff as well. But it seems really if you look at it the cars are the focus of the game (and hell, the game has auto in the name ;) ).

Wolfe

Definitely, and one of my favorite things to do in the game is the racing. It's just unfortunate that so many randoms seem to prefer playing "ram all opponents off the road" style racing instead of using skill to out race them.

waypoetic

Banned
Definitely, and one of my favorite things to do in the game is the racing. It's just unfortunate that so many randoms seem to prefer playing "ram all opponents off the road" style racing instead of using skill to out race them.
YUP.

... Isn't that right Baron?

too many racers rely on driving dirty, that's not skill. They limit their own potential, i raced someone last night in standard and non contact- and he beat me in standard by driving dirty but guess what happened in non contact when he had only to rely on his own driving skill? yup he lost. He didn't have that security blanket when he usually rams someone off the road and is then able to afford a few sloppy ass corners.

Tigress

I crash into people when racing not cause I rely on it as a strategy, but just cause I suck at driving in game and end up hitting people cause, "oops, sorry" ;). Though I honestly prefer racing with the no contact on (partly cause then I don't worry about messing some one up and partly cause I prefer to actually see if I can manage to beat people cause hitting me is an effective strategy).

(Hey, I never claimed to be good at this game).

I like contact and non contact for different reason.
Contact is fun for the bumping and trading paint that comes with it. It also can be really challenging.
Non contact for the speed and skill of it all.

I crash into people when racing not cause I rely on it as a strategy, but just cause I suck at driving in game and end up hitting people cause, "oops, sorry" ;).

This is another reason i prefer non-contact. Also lets not forget about the people who go the wrong way to crash into others just because they ate it hard on a turn or are helping crew members get 1st place.

Wolfe

I crash into people when racing not cause I rely on it as a strategy, but just cause I suck at driving in game and end up hitting people cause, "oops, sorry" ;). Though I honestly prefer racing with the no contact on (partly cause then I don't worry about messing some one up and partly cause I prefer to actually see if I can manage to beat people cause hitting me is an effective strategy).

(Hey, I never claimed to be good at this game).

I've got no problem with this, shit happens, I can still remember a time I misjudged the entry speed for a corner and rammed the guy in first on accident and ended up winning the race over him. My issue comes down to people doing it deliberately for no reason except to screw up the person they're crashing out. It reminds me of corpse camping in an MMO for example, when the other person didn't do anything to warrant it.

I mean in the end whatever and people can play however they want but it just ends up keeping me from doing races with randoms all that often due to having that done to me removing my enjoyment of the race. And as you said they now have the no contact option that people are free to use.

Razakin

I really dislike those people on races who ram you out of the road when you're passing them, or just drive behind you on straights. And usually it's easy to see if someone crashes you at accident, or it's just a crazy corner with 5 cars trying to survive.

And I enjoy both racing modes, but contact is more fun when you have players racing who don't like to crash, then you see awesome side by side races and so on. Also, all this racing talk has made me thinking of doing 16 series Los Santos Rally playlist, should just first do the 16 rally stages around Los Santos.

YUP.

... Isn't that right Baron?
Yea, it's a pain all right. The majority of time I drive in first person, so it's harder to see people that are next to you, or slightly behind you, making navigating those tight turns a mess. I always prefer those non contact races when I can...otherwise I try to stay in the back for the first few turns, and try to make my way up the pack. I still find myself having issues though with that method, as the bumping still seemed to happen occasionally. Can never say who's fault it is, I blame the game, but oh well. I occasionally try to hit people that have spun out to help them spin the right way, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it almost always results in me spinning wildly out of control. Why I like to stick to my own races! Non contact is the best. Removes a lot of the crap that goes with normal races.

Side note, still getting new crew members, which is great! Welcome to the new folks on PS3, and apologies more can't be done for you Xboxers :( But glad to see people still having interest in this :D

Top Bottom