• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

sinnergy

I agree with everything you’ve said.

Talking solely of the open world section. When viewing on a large 4K TV, it doesn’t look anywhere near as real as the small gifs posted here.

The artifices/shimmering or whatever it is on buildings is very noticeable. I’ve also noticed it in a lot of those homemade UE5 videos.
But there is no point in demanding better.. because at the moment this is the best show case in real time graphics .

It looks good to great, hardly mindblowing.
I liked it. Can´t say I was stunned by the visuals though.

I don't understand? To me it looks pre prendered and I don't think it will look this good when it launches. If they manage to get it to run like this at 60 fps it will be one of the best looking games available.
You don't have to like Silent Hill but how can you say you don't like the visuals?

GymWolf

I don't understand? To me it looks pre prendered and I don't think it will look this good when it launches. If they manage to get it to run like this at 60 fps it will be one of the best looking games available.
You don't have to like Silent Hill but how can you say you don't like the visuals?
good to Great visuals is not a compliment?

I'm just not blowed away by the character (especially the face).

Tbf we are talking about a pretty mediocre and small dev team like bloopers so i guess my expectations are too high, i give you that.

good to Great visuals is not a compliment?

I'm just not blowed away by the character (especially the face).

Tbf we are talking about a pretty mediocre and small dev team like bloopers so i guess my expectations are too high, i give you that.
Yes, it's made bly Blooper so my expectations are not so high either, that's why I think it's pre rendered and the final game won't look like that.
But if it does... well, count me in :)

GymWolf

Yes, it's made bly Blooper so my expectations are not so high either, that's why I think it's pre rendered and the final game won't look like that.
But if it does... well, count me in :)
I think it is perfectly realistic for a game made by bloopers with ue5.

This is like the bare minimum of how a proper next gen game should look, especially a small non-open world one with 4-5 models tops on screen in the busiest moments.

I think people lack imagination and underestimate what we had last gen on a cheap ass 1.3\1.8tf console with laptop cpus...

I assure you that by the end of the gen this game is gonna look cute at best.

Last edited:

alloush

The first next gen what the hell moment for me, i'm watching the trailer in loop, i can't wait! But i have passion for town surrounded by fog and photorealistic graphics...so having one of my favorite game of all the time with this incredible graphics it makes me cazy!!!
That's awesome, man. Yeah the game looks good but I feel it could have had a higher graphical fidelity taking into account it is a next gen only game running on UE5. I am glad you are liking it though!

It looks good to great, hardly mindblowing.
My sentiments exactly.

alloush

I think it is perfectly realistic for a game made by bloopers with ue5.

This is like the bare minimum of how a proper next gen game should look, especially a small non-open world one with 4-5 models tops on screen in the busiest moments.

I think people lack imagination and underestimate what we had last gen on a cheap ass 1.3\1.8tf console with laptop cpus...

I assure you that by the end of the gen this game is gonna look cute at best.
I agree 100%. By the end of this gen this game will be compared to cross-gen games visually.

I'd rather the graphic bump be a modest leap(PS3 to PS4 or weaker) so that we can make 60fps the standard this generation. Then future gens will be able to have wild graphical leaps whilst maintaining 60fps.

This is some gorgeous gorgeous stuff. I thought the poster was playin around at first. Could not believe this was a videogame at first, let alone an FPS game, this genre has been lagging behind visually in recent times.

Holy shit.

Between this, Scorn, and A Plague Tale Requiem, it finally feels like "next-gen" games are really starting to show up.

luca_29_bg

That's awesome, man. Yeah the game looks good but I feel it could have had a higher graphical fidelity taking into account it is a next gen only game running on UE5. I am glad you are liking it though!

Well we have to keep in mind that this is most surely a AA budgeted game and this must be keep in consideration, we know that fidelity needs money and time!

jonathan-benainous-capitol-interior-main-hall-053.jpg
anthony-vaccaro-anthonyvaccaro-tloup1-innergate-10.jpg
jared-sobotta-01-dam-crossing.jpg

jonathan-benainous-capitol-exterior-new-template-003.jpg

sarah-swenson-sarah-swenson-tunnel-03.jpg

I hope new Faction will looks like this. Tlou part 1 looks amazing.

EDMIX

Hardly disagree, at least for the open world walking part, i visited amsterdam 15+ times and that shit tricked me for good.

Well they are different games, as in MW2 looks amazing in that level, but I don't know if that same team is doing some whole ass city that looks like that, so hard to say.

They both look great, but are aiming for different things.

GymWolf

Well they are different games, as in MW2 looks amazing in that level, but I don't know if that same team is doing some whole ass city that looks like that, so hard to say.

They both look great, but are aiming for different things.
Sure, but the hyperbole around that fucking matrix demo has to stop.

The only incredible looking part is a fucking cutscene with a limited shooting gallery (that still has a downgrade when you have to aim and shoot compared to when you don't have control)

The walking part is nowhere near the level of the gifs that people love to post.

Last edited:

EDMIX

The only incredible looking part is a fucking cutscene with a limited shooting gallery.

The walking part is nowhere near the level of the gifs that people love to post.
ok but, if those gifs exist, clearly it can look good....

The tech demo is merely a demonstration, they are not going to be out here spending 8 years making an actual city to prove this, the fact that they were able to even get that city to that size is a massive feat considering, it is merely a demonstration.

Imagine what can be done with a team focusing on making an actual real game full time for 8 years? So I think its silly to nitpick it, its purpose wasn't to be a final thing as that isn't a flaw of Unreal Engine 5 anymore then a free sample at Costco being able to tell you if you can get full from it or something.

Last edited:

GymWolf

ok but, if those gifs exist, clearly it can look good....

The tech demo is merely a demonstration, they are not going to be out here spending 8 years making an actual city to prove this, the fact that they were able to even get that city to that size is a massive feat considering, it is merely a demonstration.

Imagine what can be done with a team focusing on making an actual real game full time for 8 years? So I think its silly to nitpick it, its purpose wasn't to be a final thing as that isn't a flaw of Unreal Engine 5 anymore then a free sample at Costco being able to tell you if you can get full from it or something.

I'm not talking about an hypothetic full game, i'm just talking about the demo we have in our hands.

Of course a full team with a big budget is gonna do much better, or at least much better than the walking part, the cutscene looked a bit hard to replicate with full controlled gameplay.

UnNamed

Banned

The only incredible looking part is a fucking cutscene with a limited shooting gallery.

This is from the game and it's pretty awesome.

I think there is a misconception here
the cutscene looked a bit hard to replicate with full controlled gameplay.
That IS gameplay.

We are not in 2K or even 2010 where you had to manually move every object, move every light, add fake effects just for the cutscenes, script every scene, so you have room to do more while there is "no gameplay".

In modern engines, so UE, Unity, in part Cryengine and other stuff from Sony ICE (I don't remember if Decima is ICE or it's just a team inside Naughty Dogs ), you have access to automated "scripts" which, in the end, are all processed in real time like a real game. Most of the job by the CPU is done even when you don't touch the pad.

That's why I find Matrix demo more impressive than the other one with Unity, which was more like an old style demo with "few" routines behind it.
And even in that case, hair physics, muscles physics, light physics, material properties, etc, the CPU has a lot of stuff to do.

EDIT: I just realized someone could say "the demo processed the chase scene in real time and after that there is no need to waste resources on it, so just capture the scene and throw away all the job behind it", which can be true, but I think it's not the case here since the reason why developers do a demo is they need to show the full power. There is no need to fake features to other developers who ALREADY know they could fake a scenes like that.

Always remember the real target of those demos are developers, and they may find impressive some elements that are apparently useless for a gamer.

Last edited:

GymWolf

This is from the game and it's pretty awesome.

I think there is a misconception here

That IS gameplay.

We are not in 2K or even 2010 where you had to manually move every object, move every light, add fake effects just for the cutscenes, script every scene, so you have room to do more while there is "no gameplay".

In modern engines, so UE, Unity, in part Cryengine and other stuff from Sony ICE (I don't remember if Decima is ICE or it's just a team inside Naughty Dogs ), you have access to automated "scripts" which, in the end, are all processed in real time like a real game. Most of the job by the CPU is done even when you don't touch the pad.

That's why I find Matrix demo more impressive than the other one with Unity, which was more like an old style demo with "few" routines behind it.
And even in that case, hair physics, muscles physics, light physics, material properties, etc, the CPU has a lot of stuff to do.
The cutscene look much much better than the part you actually play with full control, the cutscene look like a movie scene in some moments, the walking part like a videogame, not sure how people dpcan't see the difference.

The game doesn't look like the first gif on a lg c1, the gif format make everything look better and you can't notice all the noise the game as when you play live.
Also the car damage system is completely fucked up and random, if you played the demo you know that.

I have no reason to shit on the demo, if they can replicare the car chase with full control then i'm gonna eat a crow and i'm gonna be happy to do it, but for now the walking part didn't impressed me at all if we consider how fucking hyped it was.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
The cutscene look much much better
Thanks to a friend of mine, I also played the demo at 4K* on PC at full quality, there were no visibile differences in terms of quality of lighting, shadows, etc. IMHO it was even better without the green filter. Of course you have bugs here and there, and the temporal reconstruction is annoying sometime, but it's also visible in the cutscene, see DF video.

*They say it's not real 4K even when you set this in the options, just temporal reconstruction, but the IQ is still good.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Thanks to a friend of mine, I also played the demo at 4K* on PC at full quality, there were no visibile differences in terms of quality of lighting, shadows, etc. IMHO it was even better without the green filter. Of course you have bugs here and there, and the temporal reconstruction is annoying sometime, but it's also visible in the cutscene, see DF video.

*They say it's not real 4K even when you set this in the options, just temporal reconstruction, but the IQ is still good.
I want to try the demo on pc but with my current build i can dream of 4k, the result would be close to my ps5 most probably.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
but for now the walking part didn't impressed me at all if we consider how fucking hyped it was.
As I said before, these demos are not meant to impress you, the final gamer. These demos have to impress the developers, of couse they have no value if developers say "we can do the same with our 10yo engine".

For example, some year ago, engines used to show lights everywhere, there was always a part with those lights floating. Nothing impressive for a gamer used to see that lights in many games. Impressive for developers because of the deferred rendering technique behind it.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Sure the bullshit car chase cutscene part looks better, especially on gif.

ok Gym, but it still looks good.

Gif is merely showing you what many of us get to see with that demo, its a great demonstration and opens up a lot of possibilities of how open world games can be made using Unreal Engine. Especially those muzzle flashes. The lighting and effects make this scene

GymWolf

ok Gym, but it still looks good.

Gif is merely showing you what many of us get to see with that demo, its a great demonstration and opens up a lot of possibilities of how open world games can be made using Unreal Engine. Especially those muzzle flashes. The lighting and effects make this scene
Of course it looks good, I played the demo, i know how impressive the cutscene part is, i said it looks like a movie scene if you are a bit drink or stoned, but that modern warfare 2 stuff look like a movie scene aswell, gif format make everything looks much better and hide all the imperfections and graphical noise.

But I also played the matrix walking part for 20 min trying to understand why slimy switched from catholicism to unrealism for the past 6 months but i can't find the answer to save my life.

It looks great, but many games look great and it didn't impressed me more than hfw or ratchet rift apart.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The whole matrix demo is mind blowing .. I couldn’t believe what I saw the first time I booted it.. some people still in denial.it’s even mind blowing from a technical point of view.
In denial of what exactly?

I have a ps5 and in a couple of months from now a pc capable of running ue5 better than 99% of gaffers, why the hell should i be in denial? I'm gonna play every damn ue5 is gonna be released better than most :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Fucking please.

Last edited:
Top Bottom