• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great games but one or two issues are holding them back

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
There are games out there which I like a lot and some of them has the potential to be perfect but sadly weird mistakes IMO happened there .. let me give you some :

lTeGGKB.jpg

Metal gear solid V one the best games when it comes to stealth and gameplay but it's not the best in the franchise sadly and doesn't fit either in open world genres, MGSV succeeded in most of the things but failed in some for example the choice for the the open world was poorly designed and picked..

Doing missions in that way by dropping the legend in middle of the desert is not what I expected from Kojima when it comes to MGS storytelling.. a world with almost nothing than soldiers and small villages, I did enjoy the game + I played every MGS game BUT I couldn't lie about this one when someone asking me is it perfect ? ..

Another thing hold MGS V back from glorious and that will be the cassette tapes , I needed that tapes as a scene in the game not in the main screen to listen to them ! .. there are much important and great tapes that could be seen as an epic cutscene but no .. all of them are on your device and no one is paying attention to them and not everyone will listen to them while playing .. its boring
And of course the missing content or should I say the missing chapter..
Other than that I love everything about it at the end its MGS goddamit ..

Do you agree with me ?

And

Tell us which game you enjoyed but what mistakes did it make ?

Codes 208

BotW was immediately the first that comes to mind. Amazing game, my second favorite this gen only behind bloodborne.

but its biggest two sins are: lack of traditional dungeons and the weapon durability system. Otherwise a fantastic game that ive spent hundreds of hours in.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
I hope you got your money back.

Lol

Mind you I didn't hate it, but it had me longing for the days of things like action replay which I could disable things like that that. It seemed like in BOTW you got one weapon per enemy and that's just not how to do that kind of thing after finding myself without a weapon in one too many occasions I just gave up and moved on.

Kenpachii

World of warcraft vanilla.

1) new content, honestly game is doa if they don't make new content for it.
2) subscription, 15 buck a month for a game that's ages old and paid for 10 times over isn't really encouraging new players

AC games:

1) Funny part is, to much content is what holds it back.
2) Price. 100+ bucks way to expensive

Anno 1800:

1) Price ( problem is u need all dlc's or else match making doesn't really work, which makes it to expensive.
2) match make system and online in general, gotta be able to speed stuff up more.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Not a great game IMO but Lost Odyssey comes to mind. It starts out with a bang and by disc 2 I lost all interest.
1. Story became worse
2. Barebones in the skills/magic department
3. Enemy variation
4. Setting becomes boring.
Shame since it was kinda of refreshing at first.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
World of warcraft vanilla.

1) new content, honestly game is doa if they don't make new content for it.
2) subscription, 15 buck a month for a game that's ages old and paid for 10 times over isn't really encouraging new players

AC games:

1) Funny part is, to much content is what holds it back.
2) Price. 100+ bucks way to expensive

Anno 1800:

1) Price ( problem is u need all dlc's or else match making doesn't really work, which makes it to expensive.
2) match make system and online in general, gotta be able to speed stuff up more.

AC games I kinda agree with you but this thing happened after the original series, when I said original I meant 1 , 2 , brotherhood , revelation and the third one I liked it but after that it gets boring with big world filled with many content but still can't finish the game

GymWolf

Zelda botw, with better combat, better boss, more enemy variety, better rewards for exploration, a decent plot with good characters, some good old school quality dungeon, better graphics and some other minor tweaks it could be one of the best game ever.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Fuel. Shitty car physics and zero sense of speed.

I hope this is not going to be replicated to Microsoft Flight Simulator since it is the same studio.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
BotW was immediately the first that comes to mind. Amazing game, my second favorite this gen only behind bloodborne.

but its biggest two sins are: lack of traditional dungeons and the weapon durability system. Otherwise a fantastic game that ive spent hundreds of hours in.
Yeah breakable weapons, while I get the idea. It doesn’t jibe so well with me but eh. It’s not a deal breaker as such. Just I dunno 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
All great games BUT

Red Dead 2 controls too heavy.

Witcher 3 controls too floaty.

Crash Team Racing AI too difficult even on medium.

Sekiro no difficulty mode.

DonJorginho

Banned
Zelda botw, with better combat, better boss, more enemy variety, better rewards for exploration, a decent plot with good characters, some good old school quality dungeon, better graphics and some other minor tweaks it could be one of the best game ever.

So basically better everything.

DonJorginho

Banned
Witcher 3: Terrible Floaty Controls
RDR 2: Weighty Controls/Over Linear Mission Design
BOTW: Weapon Durability/Better Story
Days Gone: More Ambitious Mission Design.
MGS V: An actually good story to compliment it's perfect gameplay.
Jedi Fallen Order: Snappier Combat/Better Characters.
The Order 1886: More Gameplay/Less Corridors.
Death Stranding: Better Boss Battles/More Responsive Controls (Combat Wise).
Dishonored 1: Making you feel like shit for having fun.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I am 20 hours in.
You know, I really tried.

But using up a full bag of weapons and shields to just get a couple of Moblins dead in a side mission really goes on my nerves.

This system is so incredibly stupid that I wanna smash my head against a wall.

I never fought anything in BotW if I didn't really have to, not that you gained anything from it except broken weapons. I'll never get the praise for that game (and yes I finished it).

Ninja Gaiden 2 remains a weird gem because Itagaki had to rush it out with ongoing issues at Tecmo, so while it's possible to play a locked 60fps version on XBX via backwards compatibility, lots of unintended rough edges remain as a result of its troubled development.

And Hayashi didn't improve it with Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, instead the game's core got mutated into something else.

Speaking of action games, while I find myself enjoying DMC3 on Switch, it still has uninspired and annoying enemies with really drab environmental aesthetics. Not having dynamic music also hurts it, though I think that might be asking too much; not sure how many games from 2005 had dynamic music.

Same goes for Dragon's Dogma, love the concept and execution but enemy design is super bland and the open world could use a lot more improvement.

Oh yes, MHXX on Switch is delightful but frame pacing issues and not being at 60fps (is it because they tied the action the framerate?) hold it back from being Elder Dragon tier.

Edit: Removed an apostrophe.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Splinter Cell: Double Agent is a great game being held back by the obscene amount of glitches and by replacing the sound and light meters with a BS multicolored light-bulb on Sam's back.

Thief: Deadly Shadows is a worthy sequel to the first two games despite the chopped down levels and the simplification of mechanics in lieu of consoles.

a great game, but missing one key thing.....
...... being an actual game.
jknHIxk.jpg

So... it's not a great game.

Gp1

Alpha protocol - one of most interesting rpg of the last gen. If only they did a engaging gameplay it would be goat... But yeah... The gameplay is atrocious.

Kingdom of amalur - another one that could be on Skyrim level of hype if they balanced the game better. It's way too easy. Another game that have this problem is...

FFXV - besides the same problem as above. Do 3-4 side quests and you are over leveled. And they should actually finish the game that they proposed to in the first place (which is the same problem of MGV)

Last edited:

Shakka43

Sony games.

They often forget this one thing called gameplay.
tenor.gif

Days Gone. The flashlight bean coming out of nowhere, very minor thing but distracting as hell on an otherwise pretty graphically impressive game.

Last edited:

Dane

Resident Evil 2 Remake.

Everything is excellent, they managed to translate the tank and fixed camera gameplay into a TPP damn well, the graphics are one the best in the generation and runs smoothly, its the only game that I did 100%.

But they fucked up big time with the scenarios, it made them chronologically incorrect, why for example, MR.X is killed by Birkin before Claire gets to the Lab, yet Leon has to face it there? And how come that in 2nd run, after unlocking the stairwell door, you find out that your partner has already left RPD? In the 1st run that would be impossible in the same timeframe (about 2 minutes). And finally, how the fuck Annette resurrects (notice, she died with the eyes open) after dying on Claire campaign only to shoot Ada ?

Notice, back in the day, the whole scenario thing in RE2 98 became an issue because Wesker's Report had incorrect statements that led to discussions over its chronological confusion, it was fixed over the time, you're supposed to play Claire first, then Leon.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Fable 2 - it's too damn easy. I know that's what they were going for, but if the game had some bite to it I think it would have been an all-time great.

AC Odyssey - the RPG junk they added to it just ruined the game. Take out the leveling/scaling system and the loot system and it becomes a much better game immediately.

Zannegan

Luigi's Mansion 2 - Great little game, from the environments, to the moment to moment gameplay, to the graphics and animations (for a 3DS game). BUT they tried to build it around a core concept of bite-sized play sessions, so instead of exploring each environment like a little Metroid world, they have you run through a part of the environment, often the same one, several times on missions, and after each one they kick you back to the lab to be jabbered at by E. Gadd. I've never seen a game with such solid fundamentals so destroyed by structure.

Kid Icarus Uprising - amazing game, it just needed to come out on a system with the hardware to support its gameplay, either super fast/tight pointer controls, like the Wii, or else some more dang buttons on a touch-based platform. The 3DS' weirdly limited design killed any chance the game had to be more widely popular. I look forward to seeing it remade/remastered on a VR platform someday... or just a PC port.

Crackdown 2 - gameplay wise, it was built on the incredibly solid framework of the first game, plus wingsuits. What's not to love? Generic zombie hordes and an ugly, recycled environment, that's what. How they could abandon the first game's themed criminal empires with distinct lieutenants and vertical, interesting terrain for holes in the ground full of samey zombies I'll never know.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Divinity OS2 - Level scaling and the issues attached to it. It's much more noticeable late game, where a single level will mean a vastly different advantage or disadvantage. This causes issues with difficulty, loot, quests, and player choice. You often feel locked into 1 or 2 paths because the other route is too high level just because.

Find cool gear? Too bad, this new generic item is 1 level higher and completely outclasses it. There also isn't enough quests in the game for how strict the XP is. Essentially leading you to do almost all the quests if you want to be proper level and leaving almost no variation for further playthroughs.

I agree that MGSV was a game that had a ton of content but felt woefully incomplete. The tapes system made it difficult to stick with the story in a timely manner as the best way to listen to the tapes is to sit in the ACC and play them, otherwise they hinder your situational awareness. It's also difficult to truly comprehend everything happening on the tapes with no visual element, and is doubled if you're trying to focus on playing the game and listening to tapes.

My biggest issue with the game, however, was the credits system. It ruined a lot of surprise and suspense in the game as every single mission let you know what you would be facing, from the types of vehicles to even the name of the boss you would be fighting. Knowing I was about to encounter the Skulls unit or Sahelanthropus took the shock factor out of the start of those encounters.

I loved MGSV, and I have played a ridiculously large number of hours in the game across both PS4 and PC. That said, this game is the definition of flawed beauty. There are so many things that the game did right, but it also did a ton of things wrong. I'm not even sure if a couple more months to a year in development could have fixed some of the glaring issues.

The combat in Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Game got memed for being an unnecessary open world game, but traversal is ridiculously fun once you turn off that red dot abomination. Even the missions are for the most part really engaging. The story is ass, but gameplay is king and a fun game with bad story still makes for a great game. The combat though is completely broken, I don't get why they went ahead with that anyway.

GymWolf

Witcher 3: Terrible Floaty Controls
RDR 2: Weighty Controls/Over Linear Mission Design
BOTW: Weapon Durability/Better Story
Days Gone: More Ambitious Mission Design.
MGS V: An actually good story to compliment it's perfect gameplay.
Jedi Fallen Order: Snappier Combat/Better Characters.
The Order 1886: More Gameplay/Less Corridors.
Death Stranding: Better Boss Battles/More Responsive Controls (Combat Wise).
Dishonored 1: Making you feel like shit for having fun.
Dishonored difference if you kill everybody is like 30 sec slightly different final scene in a mediocre plot, hardly something that make you feel bad about it.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I'm playing Breath of the Wild again. I guess it doesn't qualify, because I don't have one or two nitpicks, I have about 6,000. The fact that it still remains a very good game is a huge testament seeing that so much of the issues I have with the game should be deal breakers.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Some games are above the criticism and some can see them as perfect (Ocarina of Time, GTA 3, Bioshock etc.) the one criticism a lot of gamers have with the Last Guardian is its controls, some idiots won't touch the game because of the lag between you and Trico (What is that all about??) the game, story and characters has so much appeal to me that the positives are above the negatives.

Kumomeme

Witcher 3 held back by clunky, janky and unresponsive animation especially combat that also had serious hitweight and box issue

Ureal - Intelligence of the opponents, or rather lack thereof.
Fallout 3 - Lack of customization and leveling system isn't anything to write home about.
Mafia II - While a really great game, it was also butchered because of 2K's pressuring the development team.
Metroid Prime - The fact you (possibly) find out that you had to collect Artifacts at the last part of the game.
Shenmue - Not being able to move with the Dreamcast Controller's analog stick.

GreyHorace

The Witcher 3 - Fantastic story and quests held back by some bland combat. I don't think the combat was bad, but compared to Sekiro and Jedi Fallen Order? It's subpar.

Jedi Fallen Order - Fantastic Star Wars game with an absolutely crap loot system. No, I don't want a new poncho or paint job for the Mantis! Give us meaningful loot in the sequel and not more cosmetic shit!

Marvel's Spider-Man - Superior Spidey simulator held back by stealth segments starring Mary Jane and Miles Morales. Also, the DLC packs are a joke.

Alpha Protocol - Terrific story and choice based dialogue system paired with awful stealth and combat mechanics. I couldn't finish it because of this.

Assassin's Creed 3 - A great story and setting marred by bugs aplenty and bland open world design. All point to a rushed development cycle.

Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag - Improves on 3 by being a full on pirate simulator, with some awful obligatory tailing missions. Less sneaky, stabby assassin and more YARRR!!! Me a Pirate!

Mass Effect 3 - Would have been the greatest game in the series if not for that GODDAMN ENDING.

Super Mario 3D World. Incredible game, totally destroyed by the time limit for me. Could have been one of my favorite games of that generation, but I lost almost all enjoyment. I would have loved to explore every level peacefully but now it was only stressful.

Sussoloc

Two Point Hospital - Too many patients in late game
Uncharted 4 + TLOU - Boring Gameplay
RDR2 + GTA V - Boring combat gameplay
Halo + Gears oF War - No Progression, feels always the same as previous parts
Ori and the blind forest - Some frustrating trial and error passages
Ninja Gaiden 2 - Either too hard or i suck at it
Horizon Zero Dawn - Human enemies have ridiculous AI + boring and emotionless NPC
Heavy Rain - Horrible controls
Startopia - Boring combat gameplay
Evil Genius - Ineffective traps
Fallen Order - Too much Tomb Raider/Uncharted climbing
Spiderman - Batman wears the wrong costume :messenger_winking:

Last edited:
Top Bottom