• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Day to perform live at the VGA

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
green-day-ap-cover.jpg

"The Game Awards is proud to welcome Green Day as the first announced musical performance for the 5th-anniversary show on December 12.

The band will be performing live and sharing a special announcement during the show, which streams live from Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles on Thursday, December 12 at 8:30 PM ET / 5:30 PM PT on Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube and more."

Last edited:

stranno

Are you gonna give Death Stranding ONE F* AWARD? I've been around since F* 1988 and you gonna give Death Strading ONE F* AWARD? You gotta be F* kidding me.

Quote me later.

waylo

Banned
Nobody:

LITERALLY FUCKING NOBODY:

Awards Shows:
"Lets have a live music performance"
Every video game related event feels the need to do this. I don't get it. Counter Strike tournaments do it all the time, they bring out these musical acts and they just perform to zero reaction. It seems like absolute death. Who wants this?

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Isa

Good Lord. I don't know, sure filler is needed to buy time for adverts but it happens to be something so immediately divisive. I mean we're already subjected to a fairly bland set of options that we didn't have any say on, and now we're being subjected to this arduous racket? Fuck me.

Just imagine the cost though, outside of obvious expenses and such. Why not the various orchestras from around the globe that play videogame music? Or even some compilation of fan covers on Youtube for Christ's sake. Ah well, at least there'll be a solid intermission.

Javthusiast

Banned
I like music performances if they do actual game osts and the mixing etc. is all good.

Singers/Bands performing their random songs that have nothing to do with games is just wasting time and is there to attract normies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I like Green Day, regardless of whether or not they're "real" punk. That said, they don't have a place at this event, because seriously - why do we need musical performances.

We don't.

VertigoOA

Banned
garbage band since they debuted

lol fukkin greenday

Like these video game awards weren’t just a massive advert...

Last edited:

Zannegan

It's weird, I didn't think that any awards show with guaranteed new announcements could have zero draw, but this is pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.

I'll sleep through the show, catch the announcements on GAF after, and continue to look forward to future Directs, Live Presentations, and State of Plays instead. I don't need any of this fluff (or, if last year is anything to go by, to watch some of the cringier acceptance speeches).

You'd think, after the response to Usher's E3 performance, that Keighly would have hesitated at least a little... or gotten a more culturally-relevant band. This does nothing to expand the show's potential audience and must be costing him a lot.

Last edited:
I like it! Green Day released one of the best albums of the 90s in Dookie. Not much of a fan of their recent stuff, but even then you could say they were visionaries by getting woke and going creatively broke in the mid 2000s.

Barakov

I remember Green Day saying they hate videogames or was that just the lead singer? Oh well, money talks.

Doczu

Green Day playing and a special announcement during the show?

Watch them tease the new THPS.

Kdad

I'm 52 years old...still into gaming...haven't been into Green Day since approx 1994.

Also this: https://www.nme.com/news/music/green-day-6-1190983
Bassist Mike Dirnt told Kerrang!: “My kids are going to grow up seeing things that I never saw, like Mixed Martial Arts. When that first came out, people were ‘Oh fuck, that’s fucking violent.’ And now they play it on TV in restaurants. I’m supposed to eat and watch this shit wherever I go? Nothing makes me hungrier than watching two guys in weenie bikinis kicking the shit out of each other
Dirnt added: “Video games are different now too. You’re actually in there shooting and killing people. And that’s got to take a toll, but I don’t have the solutions.”

RaptorGTA

man. I used to love Greenday....but yea...their latest singles Ive heard are terrible. It sounds like something released in mid-2000's. Gotta stay relevant.

-Arcadia-

Banned
vT5CXL9.jpg

I will accept I’m a little out of touch myself. Maybe Green Day is liked now? I have no idea. Just seems like a really strange choice, unless they’re going for the 30 year old boomer meme crowd that can’t let go of things they loved in the 90s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom