• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Xbox is teasing ‘important announcements’ for December’s Game Awards

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What would be a point of showing "refresh" design now if they are supposed to release it at the end of 2024? Or you want to suffocate sales of Series X even more?

There is a reason why Sony revealed "Slim" PS5 few weeks before release. Because they had clusterfuck of base PS5 in their warehouses and they did not want to risk slowdown of sales because "people are waiting for Slim"

If Microsoft will be at TGA there are several more logical option
- GamePass ad (fuck me if that is true)
- reminder of Perfect Dark with gameplay (since Perfect Dark was revealed at TGA and Booty said in June that we will see the game in next 18 months)
- new game reveal (Hoberman said that Certain Affinity's new game will be revealed in December and there is rumor that this game is "Project Suerte" - Monster Hunter clone that is made for Xbox)

I honestly don't think Hellblade 2 will be there because I'm kinda certain that Microsoft is preparing Developer Direct with Hellblade 2, Avowed, MSFS2024 and Towerborne for january-february. So my bets are on Indiana Jones.
Suffocating the Series X sales is a good counter-argument.

With all the talk that Xbox console hardware is performing even worse than Xbox One, its market share shrinking in US, UK, and EU, and how Xbox may abandon / should abandon consoles, I thought it might do good for Xbox to mend their image, indicating that they are still committed to hardware and a better refresh is coming.

But, yes, while it may have a positive effect on their PR, it will likely negatively affect their Series X console sales.

Godot25

Banned
Suffocating the Series X sales is a good counter-argument.

With all the talk that Xbox console hardware is performing even worse than Xbox One, its market share shrinking in US, UK, and EU, and how Xbox may abandon / should abandon consoles, I thought it might do good for Xbox to mend their image, indicating that they are still committed to hardware and a better refresh is coming.

But, yes, while it may have a positive effect on their PR, it will likely negatively affect their Series X console sales.
While Microsoft would for certain be happier if sales of Series X/S were better I don't think it is that tragic as GAF likes to make it.

Especially because unlike Xbox One gen (first three years), Xbox is in PC gaming business with their services and games being available day one on that platform which wasn't the case in previous gen. And constant revenue growth is pretty good indicator of that. And fact that Xbox (even without ABK) is one of the biggest publisher on Steam is also proof of that. Their games among best selling games on Steam every year.

Also. There is no magic pill on console sales. You can have refresh but it will hardly move a needle. Microsoft just needs Call of Duty on Game Pass ASAP, and constant stream of first-party games. PlayStation 5 is selling primarily because people are entrenched in that ecosystem and pulling them out is just hard. 2023 was a solid start, but it was just a start. Especially after bad 2022.

Given they appear to be caught in a hardware trap next year I am curious what they'll do.

I don't think BG3 on Gamepass will move the needle and I genuinely don't think their announced games will move the needle much either.

I'm expecting a big ABK on Gamepass announcement with the games and approx dates in there. Big audience and it'll get the word out there.

For my tastes, beyond Fable, I can't say I'm all that excited but we'll see.

Killjoy-NL

I think "important" is key here.

Seems like it's more than just the announcement of games/releasedates.

Then again, given the state of Xbox, any announcement is important.

Little Mac

Gold Member
It's either an acquisition or partnership of a non Japanese developer,
Maybe some sort of exclusivity agreement,
A gamepass announcement in the lines of CoD campaigns shadow drop,
Baldur's Gate 3 gamepass shadow drop, or it's a pack-in game for new Series X Digital that launches in March/April,
Gameplay footage of Perfect Dark, Fable, etc ...

I'm probably reaching hard, but one or two off those, or something along those lines, is what I'm feeling ...

MS debuted the Series X at The Game Awards in 2019 ... and they didn't even hype up that announcement at all. Regardless, keep your hype and emotions in check.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Why would old COD games joining Game Pass qualify as an "important announcement?" I see several people have it in their predictions.

COD games were supposed to join Game Pass soon after the acquisition closed. That batch has already been delayed.

Sintoid

Microsoft buys VGA
10 minutes of Melina Jurgens eyes
15 minutes of rotating hands by unknown new Microsoft PR or
3 New CGI World Premieres (but not World Premiere anymore says Geoff)

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Sega collaboration, finally revealing a Dreamcast classic collection added on Gamepass ,with added online multiplayer. Also revealing the classic Dreamcast controller, now wireless.

NickFire

Why would old COD games joining Game Pass qualify as an "important announcement?" I see several people have it in their predictions.

COD games were supposed to join Game Pass soon after the acquisition closed. That batch has already been delayed.
Would definitely fall flat for me if that's what it is. I'd guess the same would be true for most people who have bought it almost every year as well. But we do see reports about old games getting resurgences when put on subs, so I'd guess old COD's would be praised by plenty of people.

Zuzu

I really want this in the Elite as well but buying the new controller regardless

Yeah, I will likely buy one of these and then buy an Elite Series 3 when it comes out later on. I doubt they'll release the Elite Series 3 at the same time as the new standard controller. The Elite version will probably come out like a year or so after the standard version releases.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah, I will likely buy one of these and then buy an Elite Series 3 when it comes out later on. I doubt they'll release the Elite Series 3 at the same time as the new standard controller. The Elite version will probably come out like a year or so after the standard version releases.
I really expected the Series 3 to come out first with the new features and Xbox try to get people to pay $200+ for those first

Zuzu

I really expected the Series 3 to come out first with the new features and Xbox try to get people to pay $200+ for those first

They might be releasing the standard version first in order for the mass market to buy into it which should incentivise developers to implement the gyro and haptics into their games more readily than if they released an Elite 3 version first (i.e. developers may not tailor their game experiences too much for the Elite's haptics if it was the only Xbox controller with those features since the Elite might not sell enough to hit mass market uptake). Once the new controller's features are being implemented broadly into Xbox games, perhaps then Microsoft will release an Elite 3. But I don't know really, just a theory. But fingers crossed Microsoft will release both the new standard version & the Elite 3 at the same time. That would be awesome, but probably won't happen imo.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
All aboard the hype train!

giphy.gif

GTA 1 week exclusivity deal? Jesus would have to be the biggest money hat in history, and no way would Take2 want to shit on their potential sales with PS5 and its 50 million user base.

I don't think most publishers would want to sour relationships with Sony given the way that market is going.

Sony consistently produce a platform that even in its darkest hour provided a userbase of 80m+.

tronied

I'm sure this has already been said, but given the recent talk of "we're merging faster than expected", there's a likelihood that the first round of Activision / Blizzard games will be announced for GamePass.

At least, that's what I'm hoping for...

MarkMe2525

While it may be underwhelming, could this announcement be tied to Xbox cloud gaming coming to Meta Quest? Ole Zucker told us it would be launched sometime in December.

Okay, I'll go left-field.

What are the chances Xbox showcase its upcoming 2024 Series X refresh during TGA?
  • It will help them avoid showing games (assuming they don't want to / they aren't ready to be shown) and still have an "important" announcement.
  • It will help them counter PS5 Slim, at least somewhat from the marketing perspective.
  • They did reveal Series X for the first time ever at TGA.
Who's with me? 👀

If that refresh is announced to be what was in the leak then there'll be significant blowback.

They must have seen the reaction online.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Gta6 exclusive single player campaign for xbox series X

No sp mode for ps5

Like i would care whahah.
Who plays single player gta 🤣

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Likely:
- Hellblade 2 release date
- Baldurs Gate 3 same day digital release
- A couple of more game pass games
- Starfield first DLC trailer / date

Possible:
- Baldurs Gate 3 launching on game pass
- Xbox hardware refresh
- Fable trailer
- Gears 6 announcement
- Kojima game trailer

Unlikely:
- Fable release date
- Perfect Dark trailer
- Activision games dropping on game pass same day

Mibu special:
- Xbox ending console production, becoming third party.

Top Bottom