• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grounded hit 10m player mark

kingfey

Banned
Grounded 10 Million Players Achievement Unlocked
Party popper
That's right! Over 10 Million of you have entered the backyard! To help celebrate, here is a special message from Grounded's Game Director, Adam Brennecke!

edit: FYI, the game was made by 18 people. Now 30 people are working on the project. Its also a side project for obsidian, while they are working on Avowed, their flag ship game.

Last edited:

Kacho

Impressive numbers for Forza Horizon. Halo not so much considering it’s f2p on multiple platforms.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly it's fantastic, but it really needs dedicated servers for sure. Out of all the survival games out there this is the one I have had the most fun with, primarily due to the setting.

Reactions: GHG

elliot5

Haven't played the last few updates, especially the reworking of the stats/armor system to be a bit more traditional RPG-like. Looking forward to the 1.0 release! Hope they open it up for custom servers to have more than 4 people so I can play as 5 or 6.

Do all of these numbers include people who have launched the game once because it was free on Game Pass? I mean, I would assume so. Like all those empty trophy lists I have because I launched a PS+ game once...
Lol 😂 Jesus just let those guys enjoy their moment it’s a small team that’s doing that they want. There’s no need to make it into a negative because you don’t want the numbers to mean what they mean . Congratulations to them this game has so much potential fortnite started this way too.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lol 😂 Jesus just let those guys enjoy their moment it’s a small team that’s doing that they want. There’s no need to make it into a negative because you don’t want the numbers to mean what they mean . Congratulations to them this game has so much potential fortnite started this way too.

I was referring more to the second post with the list of games.

But still, the number of active players is more interesting than how many have ever launched the game.

Banned
I haven't played it since the first early access release... I don't like early access releases... but I kinda wanna look back into it.

Interesting little game. I played it way back when it first hit early access but despite still being under construction I spend about 10 hours in the game. I should play it again.

GHG

This is what GAAS gets you.

?

But its not, it's your standard early access game that's been receiving a steady flow of updates/improvements from the developers.

That said it's an excellent game and a lot of people are sleeping on it. Anyone who likes survival games like subnautica/green hell/the forest/etc needs to give it a go. Personally I think once all is said and done it will be regarded as one of the best the genre has to offer.

DaGwaphics

I've got to go back to this one. It was buggy (no pun intended) way back when I played it, so, I decided I wait till they got everything worked out. The aspect they gave it really makes you feel small.

Great news for the devs, if I'm remembering correctly this was a really small team.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
?

But its not, it's your standard early access game that's been receiving a steady flow of updates/improvements from the developers.

That said it's an excellent game and a lot of people are sleeping on it. Anyone who likes survival games like subnautica/green hell/the forest/etc needs to give it a go. Personally I think once all is said and done it will be regarded as one of the best the genre has to offer.
But that's what gaas is, right? Consistent updates, whether it's early access or not.

Ozriel

M$FT
I haven't tried it but those are insane numbers. I never hear anyone talking about it though

It got a ton of coverage on its early access release.

3000 peak concurrent players yesterday on Steam, with steamspy estimating 1million - 2 million sales on Steam alone.

For the budget and the team size, it's already a pretty good success.

Ozriel

M$FT
But that's what gaas is, right? Consistent updates, whether it's early access or not.

GaaS usually means using a released game as a platform to sell additional content. So it'd be that if it was released and had paid MTX or post launch DLC.

While the final product might end up that way, In this case it's just an early access game at the moment like GHG GHG says. It's not F2P by any means, and no paid additional content

Reactions: GHG

pasterpl

I really like this types of games, and gave grounded a go when it was initially released, but the setting didn’t click with me. Regardless of my personal taste, great numbers.

cannot wait for avowed.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I really like this types of games, and gave grounded a go when it was initially released, but the setting didn’t click with me.
It was very early when it launched, with little to do (similar to Sea of Thieves) I'm waiting for the full release before I go back, but if you haven't played it in a long time it's a very different game now.

Robb

Gold Member
Must be a lot of fun for the devs to get this kind of reception, Grounded seems like a bit of a passion/side project.

It didn’t really click with me, but that’s probably because I don’t have anyone else to play it with. Same reason I don’t care for SoT.

The setting for this game is amazing and Foyle be really good fun with friends. I just didn't like the execution when I played it at launch. One it hits 1.0 I'll give it another chance.

anthony2690

Another title that still gets support, that you don't really hear about at all (and was recently back into the top 50 most played games on Xbox) state of decay 2 also hit 10 million plus players & got a series S/X update too.

yurinka

Grounded 10 Million Players Achievement Unlocked That's right! Over 10 Million of you have entered the backyard! To help celebrate, here is a special message from Grounded's Game Director, Adam Brennecke!

edit: FYI, the game was made by 18 people. Now 30 people are working on the project. Its also a side project for obsidian, while they are working on Avowed, their flag ship game.

Another way of looking at these numbers would be to say that over half the Gamepass users weren't interested enough on it to the point they didn't even launch the game.

How is Halo F2P? It’s on gamepass, which is a very different thing.
F2P means that you can download and play Halo Infinite (the MP part is F2P, the SP campaign is a paid DLC) for free.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Ok, like I said on the Horizon ZD thread. What is the point in pointing this out? It's like a dick measuring contest!
Because Grounded falls into the hidden gem category that is a mild success. Obsidian is also a studio that has made some great games in the past and this game was made by a small team. Gamers just doing the community a solid to remind us about Grounded.

Vognerful

Another way of looking at these numbers would be to say that over half the Gamepass users weren't interested enough on it to the point they didn't even launch the game.
Bro are you serious. I mean yes, I did not bother to play the game cause I don't like survival games and hate insects. But it is really bad statement that can be only received in a bad way.

it is like saying only fraction of Playstaion cosole owners bothered to get HZD, and lest than half of Playstation plus & now subscribes bothered to download it.

Top Bottom