• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grounded hit 10m player mark

yurinka

Bro are you serious. I mean yes, I did not bother to play the game cause I don't like survival games and hate insects. But it is really bad statement that can be only received in a bad way.

it is like saying only fraction of Playstaion cosole owners bothered to get HZD, and lest than half of Playstation plus & now subscribes bothered to download it.
It would make more sense to compare Plus vs Gold, but we can't because MS doesn't share the numbers.
It would make more sense to compare Now vs GPU, but we can't because MS doesn't share the numbers.
It will make more sense to compare Spartacus vs Gamepass numbers, but I suspect next year MS will stop sharing the numbers.

Vognerful

It would make more sense to compare Plus vs Gold, but we can't because MS doesn't share the numbers.
It would make more sense to compare Now vs GPU, but we can't because MS doesn't share the numbers.
It will make more sense to compare Spartacus vs Gamepass numbers, but I suspect next year MS will stop sharing the numbers.
Bro, you are again missing the point. I am not fuckling comparing HZD to grounded!

I am saying that your comment is similar to me going to HZD thread and downplaying that it made 20 million sales. Learn to fuckin' logic!

Nico_D

Been playing this with my son for four months. It's excellent. Broodmother took some trying - as did the Assistant Manager but I think the difficulty level is pretty spot on, at least for two players. I don't know it would for one, even some of the basic enemies can be pretty tough at first.

Ozriel

M$FT

Grounded is a well received game in early access, made by 18 devs. Its the type of feel-good stuff we love to see in the industry. It’s family friendly, no predatory stuff and the devs have been super accessible to feedback.

So it feels really really grimy for you to bring your platform warz nonsense to this thread, for this game. Can you please give it a rest?

Getting 10 million players is a very good milestone, and not all of it is Gamepass either. It’s sold over a million on Steam and most likely has over 2 million total when you add in xbox and windows store numbers. Give them their flowers and move on.

elliot5

Been playing this with my son for four months. It's excellent. Broodmother took some trying - as did the Assistant Manager but I think the difficulty level is pretty spot on, at least for two players. I don't know it would for one, even some of the basic enemies can be pretty tough at first.
wolf spiders and even ladybugs will fuck you up if you go unprepared 🤣

Nico_D

wolf spiders and even ladybugs will fuck you up if you go unprepared 🤣
Indeed. I really like how the game evolves. We are now at the point where we are able to kill both of those with couple of hits. I remember when we first tried to fight them and how it felt nigh impossible.

freefornow

While studios make games to make money/income stream, the highlighted above would continue to inspire and motivate the devs.
This, is gaming!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I watched Skill Up's Early Access review and I'm taking his advice which is to wait until it hits release. And it wasn't because what he played was bad; he said that he enjoyed it so much that you should wait until everything is in there as a full product.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG

yurinka

Grounded is a well received game in early access, made by 18 devs. Its the type of feel-good stuff we love to see in the industry. It’s family friendly, no predatory stuff and the devs have been super accessible to feedback.

So it feels really really grimy for you to bring your platform warz nonsense to this thread, for this game. Can you please give it a rest?

Getting 10 million players is a very good milestone, and not all of it is Gamepass either. It’s sold over a million on Steam and most likely has over 2 million total when you add in xbox and windows store numbers. Give them their flowers and move on.
Grounded isn't a game "made by 18 devs", it's a game published around a year and a half ago on early access by a multi trillion company and developed by well knwon a AAA studio with 309 people listed on its game credits (246 devs, 63 thanks). I never said it's a bad game or that the 10M players milestone is negative.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Grounded isn't a game "made by 18 devs", it's a game published around a year and a half ago on early access by a multi trillion company and developed by well knwon a AAA studio with 309 people listed on its game credits (246 devs, 63 thanks). I never said it's a bad game or that the 10M players milestone is negative.

Up to late last year, it was a small team of around 14 people. It doesn’t matter if Obsidian is considered an AAA studio now. The Grounded team definitely isnt working with an AAA budget. Grounded itself is firmly an AA game.

You really think a subset of Obsidian devs won’t credit their co-workers in the game credits, even though their input was minimal?

yurinka

Up to late last year, it was a small team of around 14 people. It doesn’t matter if Obsidian is considered an AAA studio now. The Grounded team definitely isnt working with an AAA budget. Grounded itself is firmly an AA game.

You really think a subset of Obsidian devs won’t credit their co-workers in the game credits, even though their input was minimal?
I said they credited 309 people in the credits of the game, 63 of them in the 'thanks' part and provided the link to the list to these game credits. It may had a small core team but a shit ton of people worked in this game. For a AAA studio, 300 people listed in a game is something small, since big AAA games now have 1500-25000 people and in a few cases even more than 5000 people listed on their game creditts.

But it's still over 300 people from a AAA studio and a AAA publisher.

Starfield is going to obliterate these numbers lol. I predict easily over 700k concurrent on Steam also.
I think you're too optimistic. To have a perspective, Halo Infinite now has 24 hour peak of 20K concurrent users and an all time peak 273K peak being Halo, being a multiplayer game and being a F2P game.

Some Bethesda Game Studios all time peaks on steam:
Morrowind 1K
Oblivion 6K
Skyrim 287K
Elder Scrolls Online 49K

Fallout 2 0.6K
Fallout 3 10.4K
Fallout New Vegas 51K
Fallout 4 473K
Fallout 76 73K
Fallout Shelter 43K

Last edited:

Teslerum

I said they credited 309 people in the credits of the game, 63 of them in the 'thanks' part and provided the link to the list to these game credits. It may had a small core team but a shit ton of people worked in this game. For a AAA studio, 300 people listed in a game is something small, since big AAA games now have 1500-25000 people and in a few cases even more than 5000 people listed on their game creditts.

That includes everything that was outsourced, random studio and microsoft personnel and whatnot. Where are your standards here?

No, 300 didn't work on the game concurrently. There are pictures of the team and we have statements from the dev team itself about their internal size. (Which started at around 15 and last I heard around 35 IIRC, though its probably more at this point)

300 people alone would be around the entire company size of Obsidian.

Last edited:

elliot5

I think you're too optimistic. To have a perspective, Halo Infinite now has 24 hour peak of 20K concurrent users and an all time peak 273K peak being Halo, being a multiplayer game and being a F2P game.

Some Bethesda Game Studios all time peaks on steam:
Morrowind 1K
Oblivion 6K
Skyrim 287K
Elder Scrolls Online 49K

Fallout 2 0.6K
Fallout 3 10.4K
Fallout New Vegas 51K
Fallout 4 473K
Fallout 76 73K
Fallout Shelter 43K
you're high as hell dude. The list shows "CORE TEAM" which is 17 people. Those names are repeated in their respective roles. That's who makes the game.

Listing out the broader studio names and the parent org names is NORMAL. A game I worked on was mostly worked on by about 20-40 people, but we still included the entire Studio AND the Microsoft orgs within the credits even if they didn't do a damn thing on the art or code side. 300+ people DID NOT WORK ON GROUNDED. They were recognized as part of the organization.

Last edited:

Urban

are there 10 mio active players or did 10 mio try it ? I mean gamepass users will just try and delete it ?

yurinka

you're high as hell dude. The list shows "CORE TEAM" which is 17 people. Those names are repeated in their respective roles. That's who makes the game.

Listing out the broader studio names and the parent org names is NORMAL. A game I worked on was mostly worked on by about 20-40 people, but we still included the entire Studio AND the Microsoft orgs within the credits even if they didn't do a damn thing on the art or code side. 300+ people DID NOT WORK ON GROUNDED. They were recognized as part of the organization.
So according to you the testers, people from marketing, PR, HR, localization, CM, CS, legal, financials, publishing, sales, execs etc. don't work, they must be there only smellig the money or something. Ok.

elliot5

So according to you the testers, people from marketing, PR, HR, localization, CM, CS, legal, financials, publishing, sales, execs etc. don't work, they must be there only smellig the money or something. Ok.
They work on other things. The IT Manager of a QA Consulting company has their role within their own company, but individually has near-zero impact on a game like Grounded.

You really think the Geopolitical Analyist from Microsoft had significant impact on the development of Grounded? C'mon. The core team is tiny and they had a few contract work out to what looks like 3-4 companies. Even with those included it's likely a team of like 60 total that had their hands on the game itself.

kingfey

Banned
Concurrent player doesnt equal player numbers. It mean show many people played the game at the same time.

Around 10m steam users own the game (The f2p version, and paid version combined).

yurinka

Concurrent player doesnt equal player numbers. It mean show many people played the game at the same time.
Yes, I know. I never said that concurrent players mean a different thing that the amount of players playing the game at the same time.

Around 10m steam users own the game (The f2p version, and paid version combined).
I suggest you to check out Steam DB for Steam owners estimations, in addition to the SteamSpy one they add two more:

The "paid version" is a paid DLC of the F2P game so yes, the F2P numbers also include inside the 'paid version' ones.

kingfey

Banned
Yes, I know. I never said that concurrent players mean a different thing that the amount of players playing the game at the same time.

I suggest you to check out Steam DB for Steam owners estimations, in addition to the SteamSpy one they add two more:

The "paid version" is a paid DLC of the F2P game so yes, the F2P numbers also include inside the 'paid version' ones.
Games take time for people to pay. Both system have their flows. But if you just go by steam chart, you will not see the full picture.

Steam chart will always shows how many people play together. Best way to look at it, is these trackers.

Halo infinite from the link you showed, has has around 4m users who played the game. That is enough, since people dont play more than 1-2 hour a day. Unless you dont have time, and wanna go full 4 hour.

Destiny 2 for example has 13m users. All time peak was 292k. and 62k players are on now.

yurinka

Games take time for people to pay. Both system have their flows. But if you just go by steam chart, you will not see the full picture.

Steam chart will always shows how many people play together. Best way to look at it, is these trackers.

Halo infinite from the link you showed, has has around 4m users who played the game. That is enough, since people dont play more than 1-2 hour a day. Unless you dont have time, and wanna go full 4 hour.

Destiny 2 for example has 13m users. All time peak was 292k. and 62k players are on now.
I know that concurrent users are a different thing that owners estimations. What I meant by sharing the link is that under the graphs, if you scroll down, they also show in that page the owners estimations from Steam Spy in addition to other owner estimation methods. This is the example for another game, I think it was Lost Ark. Notice the 'owner estimations' box:

image.png

There's no best owners estimate method, depending on the game one is more accurate than the other. But looking at the three and trying to find a common point between them probably gives you a more accurate idea. In this case this game seems to be probably between 1.1 and 1.2M. But this particular game was released too recently so probably they still don't have enough data to make a proper estimate.

In fact, if we look at the (this one is accurate) concurrent players peak we see it's 1.3M, which means that the number of owners must be higher than tthat because obviously not all people who got a game are playing at the same time. In this case their owner estimations need more titme.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I know that concurrent users are a different thing that owners estimations. What I meant by sharing the link is that under the graphs, if you scroll down, they also show in that page the owners estimations from Steam Spy in addition to other owner estimation methods. This is the example for another game, I think it was Lost Ark. Notice the 'owner estimations' box:

image.png

There's no best owners estimate method, depending on the game one is more accurate than the other. But looking at the three and trying to find a common point between them probably gives you a more accurate idea. In this case this game seems to be probably between 1.1 and 1.2M. But this particular game was released too recently so probably they still don't have enough data to make a proper estimate.

In fact, if we look at the (this one is accurate) concurrent players peak we see it's 1.3M, which means that the number of owners must be higher than tthat because obviously not all people who got a game are playing at the same time. In this case their owner estimations need more titme.
Owner, just means people who claimed the game, and downloaded the game. You don't need to play the game, to be counted. I have destiny 2 in my account, that I haven't started, after the download. It will count that as 1.

Playertracker on other hand, tracks your play time. From 30min to 4 hour.

yurinka

Owner, just means people who claimed the game, and downloaded the game. You don't need to play the game, to be counted.
Yes. In fact, an owner maybe got the game 'for free' as a review copy, or from a Kickstarter or somewhere else so owner doesn't mean sold copy.

I have destiny 2 in my account, that I haven't started, after the download. It will count that as 1.

Playertracker on other hand, tracks your play time. From 30min to 4 hour.
Yes. And I don't know how many users are tracked by PlayTracker, and how representative are they of the global Steam population. So for some games can be a good estimation (specially the super popular ones) while for other ones maybe not (very small niche games).

Same goes with estimations from reviews or SteamSpy, in some cases is very accurate and in other ones is totally broken and unrealistic.

Last edited:
Total player count numbers for games that launch into Game Pass are going to be HIGHLY skewed though. Especially when they have reward challenges that let you simply turn a game on, and get the reward. Show me active players, and then I'll pay attention. I've "played" Grounded and Sea of Thieves too, by booting them up for literally 2 seconds. These numbers mean basically nothing.

Ozriel

M$FT
Total player count numbers for games that launch into Game Pass are going to be HIGHLY skewed though. Especially when they have reward challenges that let you simply turn a game on, and get the reward. Show me active players, and then I'll pay attention. I've "played" Grounded and Sea of Thieves too, by booting them up for literally 2 seconds. These numbers mean basically nothing.

These numbers mean a lot to the devs that made the game. Also means a lot to Spencer, who uses player count as a key metric. And Gamepass alone is absolutely zero guarantee of a big player base. You think Crossfire X will get anywhere near 5 million players?

In early access, the game has sold over 1 million units on Steam, via Steamspy. Likely will be pushing 3m when the full release shows up.

It’s not just by being on Gamepass. People have to want to try the games.

Top Bottom