• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition |OT| Ah shit, here we go again

stranno

Claude hips idle animation is subtly disturbing :messenger_dizzy:

CBi7HNQ.gif

Water splashes are maybe the only decent detail of these new graphics. Still, XBOX rain drops on screen should have been there as well.

BGpvqIA.gif

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

I understand shit about gaming development, but it seems to me that, other than some details here and there and some stuff on the main characters, they just made an AI upgrade everything else and didn't even bother to adjust all the inaccuracies it created.

They also were super lazy by keeping the same menu interface for the 3 games, since each of them are suppose to have quite different vibes.

Seems like a super lazy port, but I'm sure they're gonna make fucking tons of easy money on it anyway.

Last edited:

Superwave

Banned
Well I played around 7 hours of SA today and I loved it. Not played a game that long in many many years.

The amount of hate this is getting is comical. If you are a San Andreas fan (some missing music aside) this is leaps and bounds ahead of the PS2 game and it is an essential purchase. It honestly looks beautiful without being a full remake. Seeing SA like this is uncanny. Having accelerate on the trigger, camera on the stick, better saving etc go a long way. The PS2 game which I have for PS4/5 is a slog to play, is damn fugly, dated in all the wrong ways it is definitely of its time. Even though this is a minimal reworking it pushes it into enjoyable and compelling again.

The driving is the central experience and it is so much fun, arcade yet satisfying and that is why GTA V is toilet by comparison. I loathe that shallow central pole hyper-unrealistic driving model in V. Doesn't feel fun, doesn't feel satisfying.

Don't know why lens flare is off by default but I put that back on.

dotnotbot

I understand shit about gaming development, but it seems to me that, other than some details here and there and some stuff on the main characters, they just made an AI upgrade everything else and didn't even bother to adjust all the inaccuracies it created.

They also were super lazy by keeping the same menu interface for the 3 games, since each of them are suppose to have quite different vibes.

Seems like a super lazy port, but I'm sure they're gonna make fucking tons of easy money on it anyway.

Yep, they even admitted themselves to using some machine learning tools to upscale things. It's obvious looking at many textures and character models.

FD7mEiNWQAYT76P

FD7y9CcXsAIUoBl

comment_1636670187y5jzIvJxLVVJeY2w5WZJaP.jpg

comment_1636649556IsSHb6JyXi35nh77b9Ffa3.jpg

wrv75cy4yuy71.png

Typical OCR errors: "m" replaced by "ni", "e" by "o" (fixed in the final release):
comment_1636534134tMnulgYfmPqK4HBxyElXho.jpg

comment_163665042628lYQIxumhNAQMz0YQpsJF.jpg

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The amount of hate this is getting is comical. If you are a San Andreas fan (some missing music aside) this is leaps and bounds ahead of the PS2 game and it is an essential purchase. It honestly looks beautiful without being a full remake. Seeing SA like this is uncanny. Having accelerate on the trigger, camera on the stick, better saving etc go a long way. The PS2 game which I have for PS4/5 is a slog to play, is damn fugly, dated in all the wrong ways it is definitely of its time. Even though this is a minimal reworking it pushes it into enjoyable and compelling again.
jim breuer snl GIF by The Jenny McCarthy Show

Stuart360

I'm surprised no one seems to be talking about the pussified difficulty. Just watched DSP's San Andreas stream and its just so easy now. Everything is super accurate, including npc's meaning missions like the one with the guys on the train can be beaten in like a minute. Hit light poles and you dont come off your bike anymore, guys die with much less bullets, cops seem even more useless than before, missions where you have to chase someone in a vehicle, they seem to slow down now meaning its almost impossible to get the 'you let them get away' mission end, etc, etc.

Just awful.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I'm happy to be playing San Andreas via gamepass, but I would have loved and appreciated more effort going into this port. This trilogy of games are worthy of more attention and care going into the remaster than we currently got.

The original games are so important and iconic.

The remasters should have been an amazing homage to the originals and treated with quality and care to help immortalise these remasters as an amazing update that modernised the games and brought them to a new audience.

In the end it's fallen short. Just a "meh" port that doesn't do anything to recapture what we felt about the originals and was not handled with the same care as the originals either. We should have been looking back at these remasters in years time and reflecting on them fondly just like with games like Crash, Spyro or Shadow of the Colossus. In years time we'll reflect on it like "remember when we got that half assed remaster"?

Last edited:
Well I played around 7 hours of SA today and I loved it. Not played a game that long in many many years.

The driving is the central experience and it is so much fun, arcade yet satisfying and that is why GTA V is toilet by comparison. I loathe that shallow central pole hyper-unrealistic driving model in V. Doesn't feel fun, doesn't feel satisfying.

Don't know why lens flare is off by default but I put that back on.
I too am enjoying it, but it's far from a great port. The manual aiming is not up to par with what we were told to expect. I've had some real frustration with early missions that I did not have issues with on the original release. My biggest issues is the terrible lighting. Anything that isn't in direct contact with light is completely dark. I've lost count on the amount of times I've watched cutscenes and couldn't make out any details of characters on screen. They need to fix this big time. Also the rain effects look awful. The original was had a much more subtle look while the remaster is totally in your face and every drop is illuminated. Honestly looks like a shitty Snapchat filter. Gross. At least the only bug I've encountered is subtitles not staying off after I've turned them off in menu.

I'm happy to be playing San Andreas via gamepass, but I would have loved and appreciated more effort going into this port. This trilogy of games are worthy of more attention and care going into the remaster than we currently got.

The original games are so important and iconic.

The remasters should have been an amazing homage to the originals and treated with quality and care to help immortalise these remasters as an amazing update that modernised the games and brought them to a new audience.

In the end it's fallen short. Just a "meh" port that doesn't do anything to recapture what we felt about the originals and was not handled with the same care as the originals either. We should have been looking back at these remasters in years time and reflecting on them fondly just like with games like Crash, Spyro or Shadow of the Colossus. In years time we'll reflect on it like "remember when we got that half assed remaster"?
Of all companies too Rockstar is one of the biggest and richest. That's what gets to me when I see all the issues these remasters have. Make no mistake they are vastly more enjoyable to play then the 30 fps ps2 versions on ps4/xb1 but still, no excuse for such shoddy work.

Of all companies too Rockstar is one of the biggest and richest. That's what gets to me when I see all the issues these remasters have. Make no mistake they are vastly more enjoyable to play then the 30 fps ps2 versions on ps4/xb1 but still, no excuse for such shoddy work.
This and GTA IV are bandaids because GTAVI must not be going well.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Never thought I was going to say this but the trilogy on Android is miles better. That's GTA on the go.
I mean, we should wait to see what DF says.

I'm sure this will be much better overall. Android is jank.

Android is supposed to be getting this remake next year as well.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: amc

Excess

Hell, the original PC versions are better. I can play them at 60 FPS with no compromises. The remasters are two steps back.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm not gonna enter my credit information onto yet another shitty launcher on PC. There are leaks on SteamDB suggestion that the game will be out for Steam soon. I can wait.

Woggleman

I am scared that I made a mistake in buying this. Hopefully it is at least as good as the PS4 2014 versions and 60FPS will be a plus.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I am scared that I made a mistake in buying this. Hopefully it is at least as good as the PS4 2014 versions and 60FPS will be a plus.
The PS4 2014 versions are just the emulated PS2 games. I have them, too. To be honest they play like complete ass. I don't see how this could be worse than those.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve been playing GTAIII on PS5. I might just be echoing what everyone else has been saying. It’s like a modder added a texture pack and controller mods. Which isn’t bad if these were free and optimized around the game. Rockstar makes a billion dollars off a single entry in the franchise and their Remastered game looks like someone on the internet created mods for it. I’m enjoying myself in the sense that it’s GTA, but I can’t get over low budgeted this collection feels.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Paging crowbcat at the minute.

Played San Andreas with game pass and man, it's ridiculous I got frame drops on a game this old. Even explosion are super turned down.

Last edited:

Editaur

I know current Rockstar has lowered their standards but this looks ridiculous.

I expect a couple patches here and there for performance but nothing much else.

Hargate

Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on today at rockstar. No one seems to be talking about the fact that rockstar's launcher and all titles have been down for maintence for 8 hours now. Launch day and you can't even play because the launcher doesn't work. https://support.rockstargames.com/servicestatus GTA V / RDR 2 PC have also been down all day.

Last edited:
well, San Andreas is one of my fave games of all time. I just put 2 hours into this remaster on Game Pass.

and my feeling is that this was just a waste of time. Its not much of an improvement. Frame rate is bad. Lighting is bad. The game is so dark i can barely see anything unless im inside. Some characters dont look right. So i thought ok. At least the driving and aiming will be leagues above the original. And its really not. The aiming might actually be somehow worse than the PS2 game. Driving feels about the same

the only positives i have are the cars and city look good visually. Im not sure that this is even a step up from the weird phone versions of the game that were on xbox/playstation store years ago.

amc

I've looked into this. Done my homework. Boned up. Read the manual. Dotted the i's and crossed some t's. I can safely say....it's shit.

Save your dough. Buy ten indie shits off of Steam or live arcade or Wii Ware or something. Rockstar be nappin'.

Last edited:

thatJohann

Aside from the terrible ports on the technical side, I honestly find the games to be so wonky and with terrible animation and very dated. And just not fun to play at all. Only thing I like is the soundtrack of the originals. Hard pass.

Top Bottom