• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition |OT| Ah shit, here we go again

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Does San Andreas retain the ps2 versions orange haze at sunset? No other version done that and it was amazing.

It's still there, just toned-down. I love this effect and it defines the aesthetic of the game for me. It can be easily restored on PC thou.

Definitive Edition
My7ODJZ.jpg

OG PC with PS2 effects restored
rhyJcP9.jpg

Superwave

Banned
You see, you're doing this again for no reason. No one is saying you can't enjoy those remasters. It's fine. But please don't downplay the criticism. Little details are important.

And of course I agree that missing music is even more important.
Heat instead of meat is not important at all, in any scenario. It doesn't even amount to something that can be criticized. It's a mistake.

• Empathy
Reactions: amc

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Heat instead of meat is not important at all, in any scenario. It doesn't even amount to something that can be criticized. It's a mistake.

So if every single sign in the game had a mistake in it, it wouldn't be an issue?

Of course it would. We're not saying the remasters are bad because of the one sign.

SenkiDala

Damn it looks "ok" but I'm quite disappointed... I was really looking to buy this on day one but it really needs a patch. And I mean wtf do we need to chose between performance and quality, those are 20 years old games a bit tweaked, both next gen can run this at 4k60 with no problem... Shitty optimisation.

hemo memo

Shit like this is so embarrassing, like, you can't have one guy page through the assets for a day or two making sure everything sounds correct?

Really poor, and to think GAF's preoccupation was with how wOkE this was gonna be - the removal of a confederate flag is the least of anyone's worries
If they put that much effort into making the remaster better than wasting all this time on this maybe would have end up with a good remaster.

Javthusiast

Banned
I will play through SA on game pass, maybe pay one month for PS now and play GTA3, but other than that they are not getting money for the full product. I will just wait till Vice City hits game pass someday or now.

These ports do not deserve the price.

San Andreas cut scenes are way too dark and the game in general is way too dark. I'm playing on a calibrated CX. My friend told me to turn off HDR but with the way the game plays i.just Uninstaller. Surprisingly I didn't notice frame drops. Could that be the VRR on the TV?

Superwave

Banned
San Andreas cut scenes are way too dark and the game in general is way too dark. I'm playing on a calibrated CX. My friend told me to turn off HDR but with the way the game plays i.just Uninstaller. Surprisingly I didn't notice frame drops. Could that be the VRR on the TV?
Lower contrast in game.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

It's still there, just toned-down. I love this effect and it defines the aesthetic of the game for me. It can be easily restored on PC thou.

Definitive Edition
My7ODJZ.jpg
That looks good but I wish it was more orange. I really liked how the first cutscene looked on PS2:

3:35

0:29

Last edited:

dotnotbot

I hope they fix the rain:

It's funny cause they seem to be proud of new rain:

This same thinking extended to the weather effects. If you look back at GTA III now, you’ll notice that the rain is simply a visual effect applied to the foreground. In the remasters, it’s a torrent. Puddles accumulate on the ground, and screen-space reflections allow nearby geometry, pedestrians, and cars to appear in those puddles, which makes a huge difference to the mood – especially in the neon glow of Vice City. Complimenting that are emissive lights, which light up nearby characters and vehicles.

Maybe it's a mistake and they meant it's a torment, not a torrent

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
How so? I quickly release the lock on trigger after each kill then reengage. Seems to work.
Feels finnicky to me. I also feel like it is slowing my manual aim to a crawl. Often when I lock onto someone, I feel like I am playing tug of war in an attempt to drag the icon up towards their head, before they blast me to death.

Maybe it's something else I need to take into account, but I just find that I'm not doing well in combat.

ripeavocado

Banned
This is an early morning effect. The one I shared before was taken at sunset. This is also restored. If you want that true PS2 look you'd have to drop the resolution way down. I prefer to play in 4k.

nlIm2Sp.jpg

H3Pkkev.jpg

the effect was already extremely toned down in the PC and Xbox releases of the original game among other things such as grass.

The original PS2 version is the best one.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Woof, this remaster is rough. I booted up SA and they kept most of the PS2 graphics in, just make that shit shiny. The only real visual enhancements feel like the fucking loading screen & main menu. It would have been great for them to keep the cartoony aesthetic, but the characters models should have been updated at least. I wasn't expecting much and was still disappointed

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
the effect was already extremely toned down in the PC and Xbox releases of the original game among other things such as grass.

The original PS2 version is the best one.

Nobody that plays on PC plays using the original untouched PC version. That version is and always was crap.

And no, PS2 version is not the best one. Your memory is failing you. I would suggest to connect your PS2 (if you even still have one) to a CRT (if you even still have one) and try playing it.

Then check out this modded version and really tell me which version is the best.

fSm77hl.jpg

0wgS3E9.png

p0Me4aW.png

YzxOE30.png

ByCb3m6.png

HsPiZZQ.jpg

Kerotan

Fine, but not perfect. There are still framedrops and crashes to be fixed. Luckily it's easier to update these versions than the RenderWare versions.
There probably are frame drops. I watched him on share screen for ages and it looked absolutely fine. The original games look dogshit and this is a nice improvement.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Nobody that plays on PC plays using the original untouched PC version. That version is and always was crap.

And no, PS2 version is not the best one. Your memory is failing you. I would suggest to connect your PS2 (if you even still have one) to a CRT (if you even still have one) and try playing it.

Then check out this modded version and really tell me which version is the best.

fSm77hl.jpg

0wgS3E9.png

p0Me4aW.png

YzxOE30.png

ByCb3m6.png

HsPiZZQ.jpg

I play. The cow piss filter/effect can go to the pasture.

Top Bottom