• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild 02 - Attack of the Friday Monsters: A Tokyo Tale |OT|

Yuterald

Bought this tonight and played it for a bit. So good. Art style is incredible, writing and characters are charming as fuck, and the OST is amazing. God, I fucking miss pre-rendered backgrounds too.

Zornica

Banned
bought it yesterday, ve'been playing for about an hour a day to spread it across the weekend.
I am not disappointed, I'd even say it exceeded my expectations. its like a love letter to all fans of classic japanese monster movies. it's innocent and charming as hell.
I hope they make this a series, not necessarly about monsters but I'd like more of those "japanese summer holiday games" to come over on the eshop.

I haven't played Bugs vs. Tanks yet, but both this and The Starship Damrey are pretty awesome games, despite their brevity. The Guild 02 series IMO really shows why games like these are an important part of the scene today.

I really hope Level-5 decided to continue the Guild series, and that more developers take some chances on the more niche style of games. The eShop is the perfect venue for them.

this sounds cool. really good impressions!

gonna hold off for a couple of weeks though. flying to dubai and this sounds a oerfect for the flight!

I unlocked the SDD Junior Notebook thingy and in it are designs for
Cleaner Man Junior!

So I assumed it must be an unlockable costume, which makes sense as I thought it was strange that the game doesn't actually give you anything for completing all chapters and collecting all cards.

So I spent about three hours in the post-game getting every dialogue outcome to every single topic that is bought up..... and you don't get anything!

Doing that kinda soured me on the game slightly :(
Once the credits have rolled, I actually don't recommend that anybody continues.

Yuterald

I haven't played Bugs vs. Tanks yet, but both this and The Starship Damrey are pretty awesome games, despite their brevity. The Guild 02 series IMO really shows why games like these are an important part of the scene today.

I really hope Level-5 decided to continue the Guild series, and that more developers take some chances on the more niche style of games. The eShop is the perfect venue for them.

I'm obsessed with the Guild series. I think all of the games are really cool (including Aero Porter, lol!). I love the idea of established developers/directors making low budget/niche games. Crimson Shroud is one of my favorite 3DS games now and it's one of Matsuno's finest works. Level-5 should definitely continue doing this. I think it's the coolest shit they've done/produced since their PS2 days.

olimpia84

Just beat this a few minutes ago. It's a fun little game, full of charm and with one of the best soundtracks this year...anybody know where I can find the songs?? Looked everywhere including Youtube but no dice. Took me about 3 hours to beat the game btw.

oufwid

Neo Member
Hi,

I have a question that may sound stupid: is the L button required to play the game? My L button doesn't work anymore and I am waiting for getting the spare parts and trying to repair it myself.

In the meantime I wanted to play games not requiring this button.

olimpia84

Hi,

I have a question that may sound stupid: is the L button required to play the game? My L button doesn't work anymore and I am waiting for getting the spare parts and trying to repair it myself.

In the meantime I wanted to play games not requiring this button.

No, it's not required. I believe the only button you use is A to interact with people/things and everything else is done through the touchscreen.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Just beat this a few minutes ago. It's a fun little game, full of charm and with one of the best soundtracks this year...anybody know where I can find the songs?? Looked everywhere including Youtube but no dice. Took me about 3 hours to beat the game btw.

It's on iTunes in Japan. Look into japan-codes.com if you can't wait.

randomkid

Attack of the Friday Monsters doesn’t mine childhood memories like some kind of exploitable resource. It treats these memories with care and caution, honoring them as important because children willed them so. It doesn’t get mired in metaphor or symbolism any more than the rock ‘em sock ‘em tokusatsu shows it lovingly emulates. It is sincere, and to an adult that sincerity feels more like a foreign country than its vintage, rural Japanese setting. Most of all, it is kind – to its characters, its world, and its players.

It’s tempting to call it a “small” game. But it’s not. Really.

http://www.thegia.com/2013/07/31/attack-of-the-friday-monsters-magical-realism/

Best Friday Monsters piece yet from the best website of the 1990s. All my favorite things are coming together!

duckroll

I got really mad at dying in SMT4, so I finally picked this up. Gonna give it a spin soon to relax. The GIA review totally convinced me. :D

Penguin

Bought this game with the money Nintendo gave for charging Wii U account.

It is relatively short, but extremely charming and endearing.

I loved the setting, characters, tone and world.

And especially the music. Especially near the end of the main game.

ohlawd

So the music's really good? Will buy then.

I wonder if it's worth picking up Bugs vs Tanks too.

edit: looked at reviews for BvT... guess not. Maybe when it's cheaper.

Finished it and I'm now in post-game which is kind of tedious. I need 4 more cards and episode 4 and 6. I don't mind the card game, but it moves so slowly, I should be able to just skip through all the talking and animation.

Post game question:

A-Plus says we should all use the same spell, what am I supposed to do? I don't remember the original spell, I've changed mine since.

duckroll

I finished the main game, and I'm in the post-game now. It's a pretty solid title. I find that it's pretty hard to describe exactly -why- the game works so well, other than the fact that it achieves what it sets out to do perfectly. As far as actual gameplay goes, the adventure part of the game isn't particularly complex, the card minigame is pretty much a matter of luck mixed with simple probability, and there really isn't that much content if you think about it and break it down. But yet, it feels like a very complete package, and everything works towards a single goal - to create a very specific atmosphere and tone for the player to experience and enjoy. No regrets at all buying it, and I'll probably replay it in future from scratch even after collecting all the cards and finishing the episodes - just to experience the journey again.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Post game question:

A-Plus says we should all use the same spell, what am I supposed to do? I don't remember the original spell, I've changed mine since.

You do nothing.
The point of Saturday is to go around and say an idea to the next person who will react to it differently enough to give you a new idea. Frank is the first one, so stay away from him once you get going or it resets the whole thing. This way you complete at least two of the remaining episodes.

Busaiku

This was a really cute game.
A lot shorter than I expected (at least the "main quest"), but it was still enjoyable.

So I missed out on a bunch of episodes, cause I triggered some events that progressed the story, that I didn't want to, can I finish all of them on
Saturday
?
Also, darn that cheating S.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Just finished the main story last night, took about 4 hours but I took my time. The story
got really weird toward the end, in typical japanese fashion I guess

Overall I really dug it and hope for more obscure eShop releases with the quality of this one.

You do nothing.
The point of Saturday is to go around and say an idea to the next person who will react to it differently enough to give you a new idea. Frank is the first one, so stay away from him once you get going or it resets the whole thing. This way you complete at least two of the remaining episodes.

So what are we supposed to actually do then im absolutely confused and I have 3 more episodes to complete :/

randomkid

The GIA has posted an interview with Kaz Ayabe about the game.

This is so great. I love that this little game is producing so much interesting writing and insight, even this overlong ANALYSIS has some neat little takeaways:

http://clockworkworlds.com/post/56557215335/a-disputed-history-attack-of-the-friday-monsters-and

Also since I am apparently the official linkdump person in this thread I just realized no one mentioned Ray's magazine here.

http://scroll.vg/issues/10

I think he's too polite to self-promote but it's a very lovely issue with a more in depth interview with Ayabe and you should buy it.

I cannot find the last glim for card 15 for the life of me. It's the only thing I need and I've searched every inch of every screen. Can you get it from battling
S-Chan and/or the mean kid
?

It seems a lot of other people are having this problem too. If someone can confirm/deny that you can get the last glim for card 15 from battles, that would be great.

Edit: Ah, just got it from battling
S-Chan
. Whew, 100% completion baby. :)

GeekyDad

Anyone know offhand if the game auto-saves? Did a few episodes, but I wanna finish up another game before I get too far into this.

Thanks

duckroll

Anyone know offhand if the game auto-saves? Did a few episodes, but I wanna finish up another game before I get too far into this.

Thanks

IIRC, it saves every time something happens (you get something, you trigger a story flag, etc). You can also manually save in the menu.

I played through this today and really enjoyed it. It was a nice minimalist adventure game and I would love to see it expanded upon in the form of a sequel or something.

Started and completed the game today (only the card side quest is left )
Really happy with the purchase, but the card battle is slow.
Worth the sales price :D

I still gotta play this since I got it on sale. Once i finish Tearaway this is most likely the net thing on my list... question though: does it use touch screen controls? my girlfriend's daughter scratched my bottom screen and I hate using my stylus now since it feels rough :(

Shiggy

So, this game is on sale for €2,69, what's the consensus?
The art intrigues me.

Bought it for €2.99 (where'd you get it for that price?). I think it's the right price. Short game, story is not great but good enough.

Just finished all episodes and noticed that the "Linked Content" becomes available then. Is that with all Guild02 games?

Tom_Cody

I finally got around to playing this.

What a delightful little gem. I really need to get around to playing the other Guild games.

Division Day

Neo Member
Finally got around to re-purchasing a 3DS and grabbing this game. It's always been on the back of my mind all these years and it didn't disappoint. Delightful in every way.

More please!

Top Bottom