• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zand

Neo Member
The small info blurb we got for how the zones / events in HoT will work was nothing surprising, or exciting. We can expect these zones to be like Silverwastes, small, densely packed with connected events, fun for awhile. Nothing at all like the "old world" which was expansive...but it'll prolly work out just fine. I think ANet will nail the geography, and the zones should look pretty bad-ass.

He/She/They...it is all you need when speaking about people. Any other pronouns are ridiculous and should be ignored, except maybe "it". ;p

Anno

Masteries blog is up!

Alternate Advancement in EverQuest 1 is probably my favorite system for character progression ever, so I love how they're handling this. Probably as close to that system as I'll get again.

Zeroth

Master Fractals: Uncover new depths in the Fractals of the Mists to gain powerful new abilities to overcome difficult fractal challenges, garner greater rewards, and unlock more powerful infusions.

GAFractal team, assemble!

Trey

decoupling skill points from level gain. I understand why the did it since it made more sense given what skill points are generally used for but it still feels weird.

putting Mastery level in the name plate is gonna provide that peacock effect a lot of folks been clamoring for, which is odd since GW2 already has so many vanity items to show off.

Cathcart

They keep saying things like "master abilities to defeat champions", but I don't think they're actually giving us new skills and stuff from masteries, right? I wonder if it's just like "now you do 5% more damage to jungle champions because you are a jungle fighting master."

Also wonder if tomes will work to get mastery points.

Jira

They keep saying things like "master abilities to defeat champions", but I don't think they're actually giving us new skills and stuff from masteries, right? I wonder if it's just like "now you do 5% more damage to jungle champions because you are a jungle fighting master."

Nah it's not going to be +5% to damage and such cause they say that in some cases you'll need to return once you've unlocked some masteries in order to defeat certain challenges. Either it will be some kind of ability that can penetrate otherwise unbreakable armor or something like any attack you do now allows you to break their armor. My guess is the latter if only cause I don't think they'll want to create abilities/animate/spell effects/etc all for a single enemy type or something. Think of it like unlocking the Missile launcher in Metroid which then allows you to defeat certain enemies that you couldn't with just your beam gun.

Ashodin

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/points-of-interest-heart-of-thorns-gameplay/

Really glad I have off tomorrow. Can't wait to see some gameplay.

YOU BETTA BE ON MAMBLE or something

Also wonder if tomes will work to get mastery points.

SO JADED

I can get you're unimpressed because it's not explicitly laid out for you "this is what this does. This is what that does." but have some imagination. If it was literally "you only get 5% more damage to Jungle creatures" I think they would have said that by now :p

Abilities to defeat champions sounds like they'll add a new utility category that is for Mastery only and you can swap one in.

Zakalwe

Banned
If there are any guilds that has active EU members, please may I join? Getting bored of lone wolfing.

FluentFox.7251

I have a level 76 guardian and a level 35 Mesmer.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man I couldn't post on the last page because it set off our Websense filter. weird...
If there are any guilds that has active EU members, please may I join? Getting bored of lone wolfing.

FluentFox.7251

I have a level 76 guardian and a level 35 Mesmer.
Anybody get him yet?

I've been playing this game a ton since I bought it during the sale. I'm at level 55 now. Can't wait to hit 80 so I can start learning all of this stuff. Most of the time guild chat feels like people are speaking a different language. Lol

hythloday

YOU BETTA BE ON MAMBLE or something

SO JADED

I can get you're unimpressed because it's not explicitly laid out for you "this is what this does. This is what that does." but have some imagination. If it was literally "you only get 5% more damage to Jungle creatures" I think they would have said that by now :p

Abilities to defeat champions sounds like they'll add a new utility category that is for Mastery only and you can swap one in.

The problem with imagination is similar to talking to someone and telling them all about a dream you had. "So let me tell you about all these things that didn't happen ever."

I thought the mastery blog was pretty informative though. It does lay out the different types of paths well enough for me.

Ashodin

Woodenpotatoes video just got me hyped. He said the Shooting Gallery from DR might be an adventure they add to the game. PLZ ANET DO IT

Ploid 3.0

I started doing a Living Story quest line yesterday, then I stopped to look for the reward for doing the quests and it all seem to be craft materials, achievements, or random loot chest. So nothing like season 1's rewards that gave skins yet? I don't want to miss out on the current skins after looking at all the locked stuff I missed out on such as the Halloween stuff for example.

I've been playing this game a ton since I bought it during the sale. I'm at level 55 now. Can't wait to hit 80 so I can start learning all of this stuff. Most of the time guild chat feels like people are speaking a different language. Lol

Ask questions! Most of us are happy to answer. It's usually a race to see who can answer first hehe

Cathcart

SO JADED

I think you're using too much imagination reading things into my post that aren't there. I didn't say I was unimpressed with today's update, I was just curious how you're going to learn "new abilities" without learning new skills. As in, are there more buttons to press because you learned a mastery or not? Will we get actual cool new abilities with fancy animations or just a passive thing that lets us fight a champion we couldn't fight before?

I never said "it's 5% more damage", I asked if it was going to be like that or something else.

I am sorry for having questions :p

Step 1) Do all PvP dailies every day
Step 2) Hoard every PvP Potion you get
Step 3) Wait for new crazy reward tracks to come out with Heart of Thorns.
Step 4) Activate that crazy future reward track and drink your stacks of potions and get a poopload of HoT loot all at once.

Morokh

Not too hot on mastery replacing XP, hope that skill points still come in as easily, they are a big source of my income in the game.

Ashodin

Step 4) Activate that crazy future reward track and drink your stacks of potions and get a poopload of HoT loot all at once.

this is a good idea

Zand

Neo Member
Yes, I am a bit worried about the loss of gaining SP via xp, unless they also reduce the SP cost of some items, I would suggest getting out there and farm as much SP as possible. =)

Minamu

So they are gonna remove the only reason and purpose of levelling beyond 80? What am I supposed to do with all the excess exp? :)

Retro

So they are gonna remove the only reason and purpose of levelling beyond 80? What am I supposed to do with all the excess exp? :)

You still get XP, it just goes towards Mastery instead of the infinite well of 80+.

There is the distinct possibility that they purposely want to cut down on how many skill points are handed out because that's doing something unfavorable to the economy.

Still, come HoT, I have a terrible feeling we're going to see so many people just farming XP non-stop to raise their Mastery level overnight (and then bitch that there's nothing to do).

GAFractal team, assemble!

What kind of Infusions are we talking about here? The expensive to make kind with +5 to a stat or just high-end agony infusions? Or maybe something new?

Zeroth, Levyne, Miktar, Taffer, Moondrop, Noisy Ninj4, and CrimsonN0 had best be ready come time for Master Fractals.

Ashodin

You still get XP, it just goes towards Mastery instead of the infinite well of 80+.

There is the distinct possibility that they purposely want to cut down on how many skill points are handed out because that's doing something unfavorable to the economy.

Still, come HoT, I have a terrible feeling we're going to see so many people just farming XP non-stop to raise their Mastery level overnight (and then bitch that there's nothing to do).
Content farmers rejoice! (not)

Levyne

Banned
What kind of Infusions are we talking about here? The expensive to make kind with +5 to a stat or just high-end agony infusions? Or maybe something new?

Zeroth, Levyne, Miktar, Taffer, Moondrop, Noisy Ninj4, and CrimsonN0 had best be ready come time for Master Fractals.

oh, didn't even notice

will be cool to have extra incentive to fractal again. right now I just pray for armor box or weapons at the end

Mxrz

Hey everyone, I recently started playing this game and am playing a human thief. Can you give any advice on how I should be progressing? I'm almost level 30. I feel like my PvE abilities suck hard, I'm just not sure how to maximize my dps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, from skills to gear to anything else.

At Level 30, don't worry about it. Just practice how your weapon skills work, and utilities as you unlock them. A good deal of dps and the like is determined by your traits. Later for a quick and lazy pve thief - Spam sword 3 and pistol 5. Good dps, nothing can hit you.

Thought about doing this, its tempting, but I want the dungeoneer title first. I still don't think HoT will come till the third anniversary, so probably enough time to finish and still get a stack of potions.

That's actually a really good idea. I spend the majority of my time in pvp, so using the potions atm doesn't really help. Once a new reward track comes out, I'll get through most of the track by potions alone.

CrimsonN0

Well, I have started playing again.
I also finally managed to craft a set of ascended armor.

All I need is Spark now. I shall be prepared at when the time comes.

won't they just be in cof getting 80% exp all the time

Mxrz

Probably takes a lot more XP to earn a mastery point, otherwise dungeon grinders would be maxed out in a week. I wouldn't mind if dungeon rewards were redone entirely, but i doubt they'll touch that hornets nest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom