• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Oh, hey... top of the second to last page.

won't they just be in cof getting 80% exp all the time

Probably. It doesn't bug me or anything, I just have a feeling that a certain segment of the population (probably people who bought the game, rushed to 80 and then quit who are back for the expansion) will rush it. There's only so many ways that farmers can interrupt or influence my play (the worst is purposely failing events, but that gets bug reported and patched out rather quick) and I'll be so busy playing it won't matter.

But it is something that will probably happen.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| Mo'dremoth, mo'problems.
Guild Wars 2 |OT5| The Land Before Taimi
Guild Wars 2 |OT5| Jungle Fever
Guild Wars 2 |OT5| Eat More Salad
Guild Wars 2 |OT5| Make like a tree and get out of here

Retro

Sooo when are we getting that sweet sweet OT5 up? i'm looking forward to seeing what you've pulled off Retro!

I usually wait until we get around 19,900, usually I like to aim for 19950 but depending on when I go to bed or how active the thread is I might just kick it over earlier.

Still a page left to go (or two for 50 ppp folks).

spiritfox

Masteries does sound like PvP reward tracks for PvE, but with more interesting rewards. I hope the masteries for the core areas are implemented well, since that has the most potential to either break things or are boring numerical increases. Are they going to update the old maps too?

Also, WvW masteries please.

Retro

HoT Collector's Edition is totally going to ship with an updated Rytlock mini, this time in Revenant form.

Masteries does sound like PvP reward tracks for PvE, but with more interesting rewards. I hope the masteries for the core areas are implemented well, since that has the most potential to either break things or are boring numerical increases. Are they going to update the old maps too?

Also, WvW masteries please.

I got the impression Masteries are more like WvW Abilities where you're putting points into a bunch of different categories to unlock things rather than PVP Reward tracks.

I hope we don't see a lot of boring stat increases tied to them, they talk about a lot of mechanical stuff like flying longer, ripping armor off enemies and such, but there's always the chance there's a lot of little +5% bullshit. But I seriously hope not.

I don't like to play the "Use your imagination and anything is possible!" speculation game, but I'm quietly hoping they take the opportunity an expansion presents to basically re-design traits to be more mechanic-oriented. We know that Specialization will change what skills and traits you have access to, so they're likely doing a pass on them...

I dunno. My ideal HoT reveal includes a trait overhaul (no more lines, no more passives), sigils and runes have their statistical component removed so they're just about the mechanical abilities and become account-bound. I won't be unhappy if they don't because those are both pretty big changes, but if we're talking about wishes, that'd be mine. I know everything else is going to deliver.

Korten

Banned
Anyone else hoarding the level up books? I should have enough by the time HoT's comes out to get my Reveant to level 80 right out of the tutorial. XD

Fishious

You still get XP, it just goes towards Mastery instead of the infinite well of 80+.

There is the distinct possibility that they purposely want to cut down on how many skill points are handed out because that's doing something unfavorable to the economy.

Still, come HoT, I have a terrible feeling we're going to see so many people just farming XP non-stop to raise their Mastery level overnight (and then bitch that there's nothing to do).

Maybe I read the article wrong, but I think mastery point acquisition will be the limiting factor rather than xp. If I'm right then those sorts of players who want to 100% masteries and be done with it won't be able to do it overnight. They'll certainly do it faster than everyone else, but I'd still expect to to take a while.

The way I understand it, mastery points come from doing the stuff like 100% maps, getting achievements, etc. Then you spend some points to unlock tracks like Lore, Legends, etc. You then select a track and level it. They mentioned each track has multiple tiers which each require more mastery points. Here's where my assumptions come in. I'd expect progression to go Lore Mastery 1 (spend mastery points) > earn xp until reaching tier 2 > unlock Lore Mastery 2 (spend even more points) > earn xp until reaching tier 3, etc with the ability to swap out and work on a different mastery at any time.

Assuming only as many mastery points exist as are needed to max all tracks (I think this was alluded to in one of the video interviews they did with some mmo site a few days after the HoT reveal--I'll try to find it later) then it will likely be difficult to max everything. Unlike normal levels or WvW levels you essentially won't be able to repeatedly do the same content you are comfortable with until you max out. You'll have to specifically seek out all the achievements, events, puzzles, or whatever they link mastery points to.

Edit: Found the video. Misremembered it a bit, but it still sounds like there are a finite number of mastery points in the game and they plan to add more as they add tracks.

hythloday

Nope. check the wording.

Nothing in that wording states "You will gain EXP as Mastery points". Just "this is the bar where you will see your mastery points".

If EXP does not go into Mastery, where else is it going to go? Either EXP goes to Mastery, we just simply stop gaining it altogether, or there's some 3rd place for it to go they haven't stated yet - because it won't be going towards skill points as it does now.

Because the Mastery training bar completely replaces the experience bar, players who’ve reached level 80 will no longer gain levels but will instead train Masteries. This means characters that have reached level 80 will no longer gain skill points through leveling.

We might just not get EXP anymore.

EDIT: Nope, see this:

Mastery tracks are trained by gaining experience while the Mastery track is slotted on the Mastery training bar. Higher tiers in Mastery tracks require progressively more Mastery points and more experience to fully train.

Retro

Nope. check the wording.

Nothing in that wording states "You will gain EXP as Mastery points". Just "this is the bar where you will see your mastery points".

If it's replacing the experience bar, it stands to reason that XP you earn will go into mastery instead. That's the whole point of Alternative Advancement systems, to act as a new 'leveling' process. But if you're going to get hung up on the exact wording, they're clearer later;

Because the Mastery training bar completely replaces the experience bar, players who’ve reached level 80 will no longer gain levels but will instead train Masteries. This means characters that have reached level 80 will no longer gain skill points through leveling. Skill points will be added as rewards across high-level content to offset this change.

Mastery tracks are trained by gaining experience while the Mastery track is slotted on the Mastery training bar.

Seems pretty clear EXP is earned and put towards increasing your Mastery level rather than your character level.

The thing that I'm hesitant about with the Mastery bar taking experience is that it will progressively take more experience to level the higher tiers.

Once you’ve unlocked a Mastery track tier with Mastery points, you can begin training that Mastery. Mastery tracks are trained by gaining experience while the Mastery track is slotted on the Mastery training bar. Higher tiers in Mastery tracks require progressively more Mastery points and more experience to fully train.

The leveling curve from 1-80 isn't a steep one. However I'm worried that Mastery will end up having a steeper curve, effectively undoing what they did for standard leveling.

these fractal things... when is a good level to start doing them?
For low level fractals, you can actually do them at any character level since they will uplevel you. At fractal level 10 and higher, being max level becomes more important (ultimately necessary) as the agony mechanic comes into play.

Retro

The thing that I'm hesitant about with the Mastery bar taking experience is that it will progressively take more experience to level the higher tiers.

The leveling curve from 1-80 isn't a steep one. However I'm worried that Mastery will end up having a steeper curve, effectively undoing what they did for standard leveling.

Yeah, not sure how it will work. In my head I picture it like WvW Abilities. I wouldn't be surprised if it's arranged more or less exactly the same in terms of UI.

Mxrz

Fractal quest continues. Pugs seem to sit at 38, so I'll need to hit 40+ groups to advance higher. Difficulty doesn't seem much worse. It feels a little cheesy skipping levels. Once I reach 50, might go back and start my own odd level pugs just to say I did every challenge.

Xp gets funneled into mastery, seems pretty clear to me. Other games have done similar, EQ comes to mind. There is actually an interesting choice in there as to what avenue to go for. The pull for a new legendary is going to be great, but missing out on exploring, combat, or even fractal stuff isn't an easy choice.

Ashodin

If it's replacing the experience bar, it stands to reason that XP you earn will go into mastery instead. That's the whole point of Alternative Advancement systems, to act as a new 'leveling' process. But if you're going to get hung up on the exact wording, they're clearer later;

Seems pretty clear EXP is earned and put towards increasing your Mastery level rather than your character level.

Definitely more clear now! I'm betting the EXP = mastery level will raise based on how high you are on the track you're on.

Retro

Definitely more clear now! I'm betting the EXP = mastery level will raise based on how high you are on the track you're on.

I'm hoping it will Plataea just like the leveling experience, but this is intended to be something new so we'll see. It's definitely meant to be a long-term goal, which is why I have my concerns about people trying to power level it and either succeeding (and then saying they have nothing to do) or failing (and saying it is 'grindy').

Ashodin

I'm hoping it will Plataea just like the leveling experience, but this is intended to be something new so we'll see. It's definitely meant to be a long-term goal, which is why I have my concerns about people trying to power level it and either succeeding (and then saying they have nothing to do) or failing (and saying it is 'grindy').

I wonder if they were smart and actually tied some levels "tiers" of the Mastery tracks based on what you've done instead of how many Mastery points you have.

So that way you can "grind" out points, but still can't use them unless you actually do stuff in the world.

I wonder if they were smart and actually tied some levels "tiers" of the Mastery tracks based on what you've done instead of how many Mastery points you have.

So that way you can "grind" out points, but still can't use them unless you actually do stuff in the world.

Well it says that you can't open up a Mastery path until you unlock it by doing something specific in the world.. So it seems like it kind of works like the dungeon reward stuff for PvP. Where you have to complete the dungeon first before you unlock the path.

Ashodin

Well it says that you can't open up a Mastery path until you unlock it by doing something specific in the world.. So it seems like it kind of works like the dungeon reward stuff for PvP. Where you have to complete the dungeon first before you unlock the path.

Perfect.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Kos Luftar

1PNhYd6.png

zulux21

For low level fractals, you can actually do them at any character level since they will uplevel you. At fractal level 10 and higher, being max level becomes more important (ultimately necessary) as the agony mechanic comes into play.

yeah.... don't know how much I can do... easily got destroyed by two spiders with my level 28 gear :p

that being said it would likely go better if I wasn't goofing around alone lol.

edit:
wow... so I have been doing 2-3 world bosses a day for the last two weeks. Just found out today I was wearing level 3 chest armor... as apparently I haven't gotten any new armor for that since then.

also I love when a silver doubloon drops as it's great money for my level. though I am curious why it's worth a lot of money while gold and plat doubloons aren't.

zulux21

Because The Juggernaut needs them and they only drop if your are lower level.

The other doubloons are either common, useless, or both.

yeah I read up on that, only drop while you are level 20-30 eh?

well I will just continue to sell every one I get, as if they ever decide to do a reduction process from the higher levels or add a copper recipe the value will crash lol.

Nemecyst

Just starting in this game and it's providing a great option for my Wow raiding lulls. Much better than the first Guild Wars.

Question: Weapons that can't be salvaged or sold are okay to just be destroyed?

Jira

Okay, thank you. Managing bag space was getting a little tricky with these small bags.

Be sure to also open your inventory, click the cogwheel in the top right and click deposit collectibles. This will put all crafting materials you have into a section of you bank dedicated to it.

Nemecyst

Be sure to also open your inventory, click the cogwheel in the top right and click deposit collectibles. This will put all crafting materials you have into a section of you bank dedicated to it.

Oh I do. Trying to keep these 8-slot bags free. Hopefully, I can invest in some bigger ones soon.

Minamu

Because The Juggernaut needs them and they only drop if your are lower level.

The other doubloons are either common, useless, or both.

yeah I read up on that, only drop while you are level 20-30 eh?

well I will just continue to sell every one I get, as if they ever decide to do a reduction process from the higher levels or add a copper recipe the value will crash lol.

That can't be true? There are no items that are level locked like that, right? Thanks to downleveling, getting lvl 20-30 chests or containers isn't difficult, as long as you're in the right area (though you rarely get lvl 5 loot once you're above 65+ I suppose).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
GW2 is a strange game where you get certain mats at a specific level.

I wish they'd implement a "no-level up" mode

Spiritfox and grenadier aka GAFstalkers!

I thought masteries would be something that you learn and more you use it the more points you get, I didn't think it would be upgraded by just gaining regular XP.

It seems like now people will say get to 80, that's when the real leveling starts.

That can't be true? There are no items that are level locked like that, right? Thanks to downleveling, getting lvl 20-30 chests or containers isn't difficult, as long as you're in the right area (though you rarely get lvl 5 loot once you're above 65+ I suppose).
Your actual level determines your loot level. Sometimes you will get a lower level item appropriate to the area, but those are usually trophy or salvage items.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's why t2-t4 mats are expensive, particularly fabric.

Anyway, is the game lying to me? The dual-wield of sword/pistol says it dazes and deals <damage> x 9, yet somehow I only see a few slashes.

I went into the future where GW2: HoT has been out a few months and looked at LFG tool for Fractals and all the postings said "expansion owners only, zerker only, min 30k mastery points".

Hope Lore Mastery makes it possible to open the dwarven door near Commisar in Dredgehaunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom