• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

Amidst the chaos, a Pact officer named Laranthir gathers the remnants of the Pale Reavers—elite sylvari soldiers—and struggles to maintain a foothold in the jungle and overcome the survivors’ suspicions of him and the other sylvari.

Well, you wanted Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness, didn't you, Retro?

Ashodin

I want the jungle itself to have to be cleared away every time. Encroaching darkness!

wNIdjLQl.jpg

In other news, Rytlock has his sword back! It broke because of stress at the flame part of Sohothin's base, and I fixed it with a couple drill spots and a long needle connecting the two.

Also, I love the lighting in some areas. It makes my armor shiny!

a9FfK4o.png

I would love to hear;

What is going to happen to gameplay systems like Charm/Ferocity/Dignity, The Home Instance, The Personal Story, and how are they going to cohesively bridge the Personal Story, with Living Story, with HoT?

It sounds like HoT will be like Orr in that there won't be Hearts. I guess we're all happy about this, right? Nobody needs more Hearts at this point. Everyone who gets to 80 understand the game so well, it serves no purpose.

Adventures sounds like a great type of competitive PvE. It will be interesting to see who in the GAF guild will have the best speed runs for jumping puzzles. Hopefully there will be a guild pane, just for stat tracking this.

I also like the idea of the Outposts; This fixes (or it might fix!) a fundamental problem with dynamic events; You're doing an event by just finding it, and it's really cool that this goes on while you just stumbled upon it, but it's difficult because you don't have any context. By having a outposts as a base storyteller, narrative-set-up, you know the factions, the struggles and you can more easily make sense of what the conflicts are about.

I wonder if both Adventures and Outposts will carry into main GW2 as more main zones get changed by Living Story. What will happen to Orr? What role will Orr have now? Orr is still an important piece of content, but one that hasn't seen balancing for a long time. I still go there, and I enjoy the difficulty of the God temples, and there is a healthy train, that is not to extreme. Megaserver has done wonders for Orr, like it has everywhere else.

Retro

Well, you wanted Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness, didn't you, Retro?

Yep, that and the Day / Night cycle is pretty close to what I was thinking.

I'm afraid I'm in the "interested but not super excited" camp regarding today's blog post. Outposts sound like the Silverwaste Forts (small, region-specific meta events around which multiple DEs are based), and that's a good thing and a much more interesting way to lure players into the world than Renown Hearts... but the details are kinda slim so I'll wait and see.

Adventures, when I imagine them in my head, are like the races you'd find in Crackdown (at least the Jumping Puzzle parts). You can normally do the JP, or you can interact with an "Adventure Mote" and do it while timed / competing with other players. It doesn't seem like something that will be intrusive, so it's just one more thing to do for the sheer joy of it and that's just gravy in my book.

OT5 is 90% done, for what it's worth. Just gotta tweak some color / layout issues, fix a few typos, upload some properly sliced images and toss all the links in there. The way the thread moves lately it'll probably be up sometime this weekend, maybe. I'll keep an eye on things.

Shiokazu

im back home, im back to the game, i even went on a world boss today.

i think im ready to wait for when the temperature gets HoT.

its funny if you think that the next expansion can be called HoT. because jungles usually are hot.

I'm excited but it doesnt feel like what I expected a "deep dive" to be. Still kinda reads like it was written or edited by marketing rather than the devs themselves.

Ashodin

I'm imagining lots of mini-game Adventures built into the existing content, and they don't have to limit it to Maguuma either. I'm stoked!

hythloday

I'm excited but it doesnt feel like what I expected a "deep dive" to be. Still kinda reads like it was written or edited by marketing rather than the devs themselves.

I'm a "show, don't tell" kind of person sometimes. Especially with games. I'm very excited for Heart of Thorns but I don't want to read paragraphs of theory about it all that much - I want to get in and play it and see things for myself, or if that's not an option, screenshots and videos are rad.

But that said I'm still eager to see the additional blogs! Especially the class specializations.

I'm a "show, don't tell" kind of person sometimes. Especially with games. I'm very excited for Heart of Thorns but I don't want to read paragraphs of theory about it all that much - I want to get in and play it and see things for myself, or if that's not an option, screenshots and videos are rad.

But that said I'm still eager to see the additional blogs! Especially the class specializations.
Exactly.

I had no idea Retro married female Kos.

Mxrz

Its new stuff, so I'll eat it all up. They really do not need to convince me of anything with blog posts. I'm on board. Just gimme a release date and a preorder. I suspect that outside of specific specializations, we already know everything can tell us.

It does sound like there won't be as many maps, but even so there will have to be Izel(?) or whatnot villages. Unless these are in the middle of the jungle/fort/silverwastes stuff, there should be some quiet maps too.

zulux21

Please fishing anet

I want to catch 'em all

I can imagine it now, 200+ fish to collect, over 50 different fishing spots, 5 tiers of rods to craft/buy, each location has a super rare fish that is unique to that location that even with the most expensive rod only has like a 1 in 500 chance of being caught.

my time... she would be no more :/

Ashodin

I can imagine it now, 200+ fish to collect, over 50 different fishing spots, 5 tiers of rods to craft/buy, each location has a super rare fish that is unique to that location that even with the most expensive rod only has like a 1 in 500 chance of being caught.

my time... she would be no more :/

Rods could even be bundles, it's easy as hell to add them, with a complex mini-game mechanic to catching or lazy fishing auto attack 1. Auto-fishing would just catch small amounts of common fish.

Ploid 3.0

Just saw a video on turning Karma into gold by buying a crap ton of Lost Orrian Jewelry Boxes. Is there a better way to spend Karma? I don't think I'd ever try for a legendary if karma ever comes into play for those. I'm a casual and the only thing I ever spent karma on was low level gear sometimes, rarely.

1,097,828 karma currently.

Levyne

Banned
There used to be a way to get karma items and throw em into the forge for salvageable linen, but it sounds really tedious and a lot more effort than spamming on jewel boxes, even if the return is better (and is a sure thing).

That said, I don't recommend jewel boxes either really

Achtius

Today's a great day for me. Got my first ascended weapon chest (Theodosus/Clerics) from Teq. Probably won't use it but still great find.

zulux21

Rods could even be bundles, it's easy as hell to add them, with a complex mini-game mechanic to catching or lazy fishing auto attack 1. Auto-fishing would just catch small amounts of common fish.

you would have to have some sort of simple minigame that requies some sort of random input mechanic for fishing. The game auto logs you out if you stand around for to long, so it's doubtful they would want to bog down their servers with people standing around fishing while there is no human player at the other end. Thus it would have to be an active thing you do to catch fish.

but yeah, really thinking about it this wouldn't be that hard to implement. I know I spent way more time than I should have fishing in torchlight 2 lol.

Mxrz

Just saw a video on turning Karma into gold by buying a crap ton of Lost Orrian Jewelry Boxes. Is there a better way to spend Karma? I don't think I'd ever try for a legendary if karma ever comes into play for those. I'm a casual and the only thing I ever spent karma on was low level gear sometimes, rarely.

1,097,828 karma currently.

Yeah, buy the blue Cloth Crab Grabbin Gloves from this guy. Forge four of them, salvage for linen. Its tedious as hell, but its how I get my linen for crafting.

Retro

OT5 is ready when we get up there. Really enjoyed making it and stepping outside of my usual habits, I hope folks enjoy it (for all 5 seconds it's on the front page and then never again).

And I'll ask you guys not to talk about my wife's beard, thankyouverymuch.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
wait what's so special about Laranthir

also wasn't it Canach who was making a reaction that "we're not evil!!!"

Ashodin

http://www.tentonhammer.com/news/gu...layers-‘first-look’-guild-wars-2-heart-thorns

ArenaNet Invites Players for a ‘First Look’ at Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns later today to dive into the Heart Of Maguuma as well as Masteries. The studio is inviting fans to learn more about the Masteries system, its new vision for endgame progression in an MMO, and journey deeper into the Heart of Maguuma jungle, the new environment that serves as the main setting in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns. Yesterday ArenaNet released the first of two blog posts discussing the Heart Of Maguuma in a little more detail and today, according to the press release, there will be a second detailing the Mastery system in more depth. As well as that, there's a livestream over on the official Twitch channel at 12 p.m. PST tomorrow.

Rubi Bayer and Expansion Content Designers Anthony Ordon and Steve Hwang will journey into the Heart of Maguuma and discuss the new mastery system. Popular streamers Richie “Bog Otter” Procopio and Aurora Peachy will also be livestreaming their own special Guild Wars 2 programming before and after “Points of Interest,” with pre-show starting at 11 a.m. PST on the Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel. Here's the official press release regarding the Heart Of Maguuma and the Mastery System.

THE HEART OF MAGUUMA

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns picks up where Season 2 left off, with players journeying deeper into the Heart of Maguuma to find out what happened to the pact fleet. The jungle environment, composed of three biomes, brings an element of verticality that directly influences the gameplay. Players will need to learn new masteries like hang-gliding and mushroom jumping to traverse different levels in the jungle.

One of the first maps players will experience within the deep jungle will feature survivors from the Pact Fleet who spend the daytime fortifying and repairing their positions. When nighttime rolls around, however, the map will enter a secondary phase in which the Mordrem masses attempt to overwhelm the Pact defenders. Assisting outposts like these will be vital in the dynamic environment, as they can be leveled up and will be essential in preparing for secondary phases of new areas. A new adventure system will provide challenges for players to earn high scores in nearly any activity, minigame or challenge imaginable in the game world.

THE MASTERY SYSTEM

Players left wondering what is next for their maxed out characters will be pleased to hear about Heart of Thorns’ new mastery system, a progression system that respects players’s time and effort by allowing them to grow their level 80 characters in new ways. Masteries grant meaningful powers to characters, like the ability to hang glide or jump on mushrooms to traverse the Heart of Maguuma faster and get to previously unreachable areas. Specific masteries will be earned from experience gained in PvE regions that are tied to those skills. Masteries will be leveled up on separate tracks, allowing for multiple tiers and simultaneous progression on multiple masteries.

Masteries must first be unlocked with Mastery points, which are gained from tasks like completing a chapter in a character’s story, completing achievements, finding secret locations, defeating difficult enemies, performing well in the new adventure system and earning 100 percent completion in maps. New characters can accumulate mastery points, but the points cannot be spent until a character hits level 80. Furthermore, Masteries will bring new benefits to all of the characters in a player’s account. The mastery system was designed to expand players abilities without invalidating past achievements and to grow their characters while focusing on gameplay instead of grinding for new gear.

Livestream stuff starts at 2 p.m. EST tomorrow at twitch.tv/guildwars2

Most likely we'll see the mastery system in-game. Aww Yiss

Cathcart

Really hoping there's some gameplay in that stream and not just panning shots of the jungle (which are great and I'm excited about them and not super jaded). Would love to see an adventure because yesterday's blog made it sound like something they thought up as they were writing the post ("Uh, maybe it will be like a jumping puzzle with a clock on it? Who knows?").

I'm excited to be excited about masteries. So far I kinda dislike the idea because "You can unlock the ability to get places you couldn't get the first time" sounds a bit too much like "We added new levels but just called them masteries." But at least you only have to get them once per account. Idk, prove me wrong, ANet.

Alright how much longer should I wait for support to contact me about my account being locked?

I bought this during the sale last week and its been nearly 2 weeks since I submitted a ticket without a response. Are they really this slow? I might just try and use an alternate email if it gets any longer.

Valus

Hey everyone, I recently started playing this game and am playing a human thief. Can you give any advice on how I should be progressing? I'm almost level 30. I feel like my PvE abilities suck hard, I'm just not sure how to maximize my dps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, from skills to gear to anything else.

Hey everyone, I recently started playing this game and am playing a human thief. Can you give any advice on how I should be progressing? I'm almost level 30. I feel like my PvE abilities suck hard, I'm just not sure how to maximize my dps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, from skills to gear to anything else.

Thief is a class that leaves a lot more to the skill level of the player than some of the easier-to-play-classes, like Warrior and Guardian.

Well, you want, to prioritize gear with Power and Condition Damage and Ferocity. Those will maximize your damage.

If your problem is that you're not good at weapon swapping and staying alive, you can opt for Toughness and Vitality based gear. That will make you more more surviveable, but it will make your damage less effective.

You should go to the trading post and buy a stack of Sharpening Stones and Foods. Besides giving you 10% increased XP each, they also give you a nice buff, and they cost next to nothing. Don't worry about not having money while levelling in the game. You make a lot more money at lvl 80, so its pointless to think you're saving copper by not buying consumeables and stuff.

You can see a list of foods here, to find a combo of stats you like. Just search for it on the trading post. Pick something that is cheap; http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Food

Alright how much longer should I wait for support to contact me about my account being locked?

I bought this during the sale last week and its been nearly 2 weeks since I submitted a ticket without a response. Are they really this slow? I might just try and use an alternate email if it gets any longer.

A great deal of people don't have good security, or know how to protect themselves from malware, and are easy prey. This allows people to easily steal peoples accounts and use them for gold selling schemes. This creates a massive pressure on the customer supports infrastructure.

Being a non-subscription based game, there are limits to how fast you can expect CC to get back at ya, but with that being said, in the 3-4 times I've contacted them about various things they got back to me within 1 or 2 days.

If you want to dps, your best bet is using sword/pistol and dagger/pistol. Sword/pistol has solid damage on the autoattack as well as a nice cleave, s/p 3 is also nice.

For dagger/pistol, you have a stealth combo. Using pistol 5 lays down a smoke field, dagger 2 finishes with it to give you stealth, which you can then use to backstab with dagger 1, just make sure to hit from behind.

Both of these weapon combinations are heavily dependent on power, with precision and ferocity being useful but less necessary.

Lastly, shortbow is solid dps against groups. The weakness combo is nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom