• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Path of Fire |OT| Mount and Shining Blade

Morokh

It just hit me after I finished Map Completion in PoF but the way collections are made in the expansion it's actually quite easy to 'rush through' the expansion without even meaning to.

Basically :
- Unlock all the Elite specs collections
- Focus on the story and finish it.
- DIscover the hidden mount after the story.
- Go back to amnoon and proceed with map completion going map by map.

When you're finished with map completion you'll have most of the collections in the game done save for some busy work (Race/Wish/Skritt / Full Map completion on a specific class).
You could even be done with the funerary set collections.

It's a bit weird to me because I played PoF without meaning to be efficient about it and the only thing I didn't do straight away was unlock all the Elite Specs collections.

SourBear

Banned
I hope not. Doubt a living season episode will be able to pull off another dragon stand.

Sort of speculation here but I think it would be kind of neat if in LS4 they have implemented something similar to WoW phasing. Wherein everyone who is in LS4 they will see an entirely different Oasis map that has meta events, etc. going on. I mean... at the end of the story it seems like everything is about to go to shit. So it would sort of make sense for the map to change because of it. And you could basically swap between the two versions of the map any time you wanted. Want to fart around exploring shit - go to the regular map. Want to do a meta events that span the whole map - go into that version.

Sort of speculation here but I think it would be kind of neat if in LS4 they have implemented something similar to WoW phasing. Wherein everyone who is in LS4 they will see an entirely different Oasis map that has meta events, etc. going on. I mean... at the end of the story it seems like everything is about to go to shit. So it would sort of make sense for the map to change because of it. And you could basically swap between the two versions of the map any time you wanted. Want to fart around exploring shit - go to the regular map. Want to do a meta events that span the whole map - go into that version.

That's actually a great idea. So you're saying that
that if you have completed the story, you will see all of Elonas maps as "branded", but people who've not completed the story will see it as currently is?

SourBear

Banned
That's actually a great idea. So you're saying that
that if you have completed the story, you will see all of Elonas maps as "branded", but people who've not completed the story will see it as currently is?

I could see it being implemented a number of different ways.. but essentially yea. I'm sure people will want the ability to swap it off/on though. So it would probably have to be implemented like you are activating a story. And then you could quit it if you want to go back to the regular version.

Anyway, its just my strange idea. I think it could work and I think it could be pretty cool. And gives players the best of both worlds in terms of how they want to play in the maps.

Some people take fractals way too seriously. T4 has a few real sanctimonious assholes, ran into another one tonight. After I tried pulling aggro off him early on, dude wouldn't let up the whole way through.

Auraela

Banned
The thing with branded stuff is the constant lightning strikes yea skimmer avoids it or hiding under things. But vabbi already proves in certain places this cant be done n makes fights annoying.

if they want to brand all maps 8n living season 4 i can see shit getting boring in its current form makes mounting nearlly impossible once ur branded n fights more tedious then needed.

I hope season 4 is about joko now that he's free after us killing balth

Stuart444

I finished the story. Was a nice conclusion, but I really wonder what will happen from this point on.
Will we kill Kalky in Season 4?

I doubt it, feels like an expansion type of deal but we'll see.

As for map phasing, I'd only want two versions of the map if they made it so certain things ie hero points were only in the normal map. Maybe bounties (or at least most of the current bounties) as well. And make a meta for the non-normal maps so people would have reasons to run both.

But we'll see what they do. Who knows what will happen.

edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/73enqi/arenanet_please_i_dont_mind_hard_content_but/

Ow. Literally impossible if you get a bad spawn/they take too long to get back into the instance. (end of Act 1 story mission spoiler in the link)

Hellers

Dear lord. That story boss. You know the one. After the rather significant event for your character. What the hell were they thinking? The vast majority of newish players are going to hit that like a brick wall and bounce off. I cheesed it on my necro but man.

Just got my fourth mount. Now I'm off to finish the story.

Stuart444

Dear lord. That story boss. You know the one. After the rather significant event for your character. What the hell were they thinking? The vast majority of newish players are going to hit that like a brick wall and bounce off. I cheesed it on my necro but man.

You mean the one that will
recover health if anyone, regardless of if it's you, your friends, your minions or your pets is near it with a break bar that is gone in seconds.

Yeah. that one sucks.

SourBear

Banned
You mean the one that will
recover health if anyone, regardless of if it's you, your friends, your minions or your pets is near it with a break bar that is gone in seconds.

Yeah. that one sucks.

It's reallly really easy if you don't have pets / minions / illusions. They just need to change it so those things don't give the boss health.

Managed to beat the last story chapter and finish the whole quest line for the 5th mount all in one sitting. I really enjoyed the collections for that one. There was actual story significance and context to everything you needed to collect, and the visible changes to the plateau actually made me feel like I was accomplishing something.

Stuart444

It's reallly really easy if you don't have pets / minions / illusions. They just need to change it so those things don't give the boss health.

Unless you can't get away from the boss quickly enough. Your endurance bar doesn't feel enough on it's own without support from a "Get away quick button". I pretty much relied on burning retreat + a dodge roll to get away as soon as he jumped. Using dodge rolls only didn't work too well for me.

I also feel like if you have a break bar, you should have more than 1 - 2 seconds to break it.
even just an extra second might be enough to break it successfully to me.

Man
Eater of Souls
fight is rough for Guardians since he eats boons...FB has so many boons i had to drop it for DH and put signets in my utility to beat him...always made sure shield of courage was on CD so he couldn't eat Aegis..

Massicot

Havent' been able to successfully complete the Serpent's Ire Meta event in Vabbi yet. The second phase of it seems to require a lot of coordination: pretty sure it involves breaking 5 champs at the same time. It's kinda a cool even though.

Goldrush

I could see a raid or story instance that would revise a map, but not open-world PvE. Season 3 spoiled us with a new map every episode. I don't know if there's any amount of changes they could make that wouldn't cause an outcry of a revised Amnoon rather than a new map.

spiritfox

I did it on my Necro and I was wondering why it was so hard until I realized
he was healing to full from my Flesh Golem.

MartyStu

Wait, which boss is this? I do not remember anything in the story causing any issues. And Holosmith is sort of undertuned right now.

I could see a raid or story instance that would revise a map, but not open-world PvE. Season 3 spoiled us with a new map every episode. I don't know if there's any amount of changes they could make that wouldn't cause an outcry of a revised Amnoon rather than a new map.

These maps are much too cool, large and empty to NOT just throw more events at them for the LS.

I gave GW2 a shot about a year ago and never really stuck with it. Thought I'd give it a try again since it's had a few updates/expansions and I'm in the right mood for it. I'm starting from scratch with a Norn Revenant - terrible idea? Anything I should know starting out to go and do or try and avoid, from you guys with a bit of experience?

Wanderer5

Another legendary journey I had partaken is done, and now I have a legendary backpiece. The Warbringer!

itdLu57.jpg

loHJAso.jpg

6iEzyt7.jpg

PyK9Vbs.jpg

AR7B6je.jpg

It flares up for a moment when you get in combat, and I think when you even jump also. Overall I love this ridiculously huge backpiece, and the glider is also pretty damn nice. I am glad to had finally gone through with this, especially with it being a WvW legendary. Those changes to the pips and the amount of tickets you get a week really helped too lol.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
LMAO all shroud traits work with sand shades

no wonder power scourge is popular

Another legendary journey I had partaken is done, and now I have a legendary backpiece. The Warbringer!

It flares up for a moment when you get in combat, and I think when you even jump also. Overall I love this ridiculously huge backpiece, and the glider is also pretty damn nice. I am glad to had finally gone through with this, especially with it being a WvW legendary. Those changes to the pips and the amount of tickets you get a week really helped too lol.
Grats! I still am 1 out of 4 of the backpack quest lol

MartyStu

Eater of Souls

Oh, found him to be a pushover. My current build does not use many boons though, so that might be it.

I gave GW2 a shot about a year ago and never really stuck with it. Thought I'd give it a try again since it's had a few updates/expansions and I'm in the right mood for it. I'm starting from scratch with a Norn Revenant - terrible idea? Anything I should know starting out to go and do or try and avoid, from you guys with a bit of experience?

I would not start with a Revenant if I were you. They serve as a poor introduction to the rest of the classes / the game.

Stuart444

Oh, found him to be a pushover. My current build does not use many boons though, so that might be it.

It's one of the few bosses that can be easy on one profession but hard on another.

Also
if you're playing with someone else, they appear as a spirit and can only really use skills that give you boons which won't help and if the boss can gain health from being near them as well. I had to send my partner to the other side of the arena so she wouldn't gain aggro from me kiting the boss around. >_<

Just tried the Legendary Corrupted Facet bounty... what a disaster that was! It's random traits were brutal. Everyone died repeatedly, and I think we got it down to 60%.

Matriox

So... I was having a ton of fun til about last tuesday, where I guess my account was locked for suspicious logins and potentially compromised account? I have 2fa and I'm not aware of it being compromised, but anywho, I submitted a ticket on Tuesday and have had 0 response to the ticket. I have since then also tried to contact them via facebook and twitter to no response there either. Any suggestions?

Westraid

So... I was having a ton of fun til about last tuesday, where I guess my account was locked for suspicious logins and potentially compromised account? I have 2fa and I'm not aware of it being compromised, but anywho, I submitted a ticket on Tuesday and have had 0 response to the ticket. I have since then also tried to contact them via facebook and twitter to no response there either. Any suggestions?

Apparently they have a huge number of tickets and response time is slower than usual. I cleverly locked myself out of my account last week and it took them 4 days to get the authenticator off my account so I could regain access to it again.

Just don't send in another ticket, as it apparently dumps you at the end of the queue again.

Matriox

Apparently they have a huge number of tickets and response time is slower than usual. I cleverly locked myself out of my account last week and it took them 4 days to get the authenticator off my account so I could regain access to it again.

Just don't send in another ticket, as it apparently dumps you at the end of the queue again.

lol ugh. Ok thanks.

Hellers

While I'm loving this expansion far more than HoT there are still areas that frustrate. Probably the biggest is the mobs/square inch in certain maps and certain areas. Especially in narrow passages or places with significant environmental hazards. There just aren't enough people in each map to warrant such a high mob layout and going through these places solo even with a mount can be very vexxing. Especially since these days we get far less waypoints. Mobs hit much harder after core and really abuse stuns, knockdowns, roots and slows. I think they could easily get away with a less is more vibe. The first map is a nice intro but after that things get very hectic very quickly.

I think I'm going to carry on maining my Necro. I wasn't sure about Scourge until I tried it but now I love it. Even more than Reaper.

Massicot

Yea I really like the Sunspear Armor. Some of the Elonian is nice too.

Even though I grabbed them all, I don' t care much for the Funerary armors (though the weapons are nice). I haven't looked at much Bounty Hunter yet because I'm waiting to grab them all from Elisa.

Morokh

Just beat the story.

Just wondering what's next: Is there a endgame'ish map like Dragon Stand?

No, they pulled a worse than a Vanilla GW2 on that one there isn't anything like that and overall very little to no endgame type content so far.

SourBear

Banned
Yea I really like the Sunspear Armor. Some of the Elonian is nice too.

Even though I grabbed them all, I don' t care much for the Funerary armors (though the weapons are nice). I haven't looked at much Bounty Hunter yet because I'm waiting to grab them all from Elisa.

The bounty hunter stuff is super expensive and you can't preview it which is a shame. I've always found the dulfy previews look way way worse than actually seeing it in-game so I'm curious. But the female light bounty hunter armor looks pretty good.

Imagining they went that route because the next living story season is going to pick up relatively soon that they'll want people to move to, and having a competing grind map to the HoT metas would leave the jungle entirely empty in the mean time.

Stuart444

I want some quick Exotics for my Charr Ranger before I go through the PoF story. Currently equipped in Magi stuff as a Druid and want an alt gear set for my Soulbeast. What stats should I go for?

edit: The Mistlock Sanc perma pass is back for 5 days if anyone wanted to buy it.

Vestal

Gold Member
Considering grabing the xpac thanks to all the praises to the story..

Questions...

Which class right now would be the most enjoyable for doing PVE and the story?

I have.

80 Necro, Guardian, Mesmer, Ranger, Revenant.

Right now Necro is the most decked out in gear running GS/AxeWarhorn.

Also what build would be recommended?

Thanks in advance

Stuart444

Considering grabing the xpac thanks to all the praises to the story..

Questions...

Which class right now would be the most enjoyable for doing PVE and the story?

I have.

80 Necro, Guardian, Mesmer, Ranger, Revenant.

Right now Necro is the most decked out in gear running GS/AxeWarhorn.

Also what build would be recommended?

Thanks in advance

Depends on what you want. Necro for Minions/shades (if using scourge) and good condition dmg. Also Reaper if you want to use that is fun to see.

Guardian, I think their Elite for PoF is pretty powerful so if you want high dmg, that's good.

Mesmer is fun, all I can say since I don't know much about Mirage (PoF elite spec) but Chronomancer is always welcomed in high-end content if you see yourself playing any of that.

Same with Ranger due to Druid for healing/buffs

Can't say much about Rev atm.

So pick whatever sounds fun and go for it I guess.

As for build, if it's just open world/story stuff, any build will do. Feel free to check metabattle, qtfy.eu or the gw2 builds reddit to see what people might be running with. If you plan on doing high-end, using qtfy.eu is usually the recommended (though metabattle probably have some good builds as well) otherwise like I said, anything works really.

Staff/Sword/Shield Glint/Ventari Revenant is still the freaking best.

With cleric gear I feel like an unstoppable Bunker machine. Dropping 3.5k spammable heals, 100% uptime on regen and protection, and two sources of infused light.

Stuart444

Staff/Sword/Shield Glint/Ventari Revenant is still the freaking best.

With cleric gear I feel like an unstoppable Bunker machine. Dropping 3.5k spammable heals, 100% uptime on regen and protection, and two sources of infused light.

Hmm, might look into that when I unlock Glint. Currently just playing through the story and using mostly the dwarf/shiro ones.

Hmm, might look into that when I unlock Glint. Currently just playing through the story and using mostly the dwarf/shiro ones.

Yeah it was originally just my PVP build but out of curiosity I decided to try it in PVE as well and it is extremely effective. Killing times are slow although not too slow since there's some power on the build but the advantage is mostly survivability. High toughness, high healing power, and you shed conditions like water. Impossible to be rooted or cc'd by mobs.

Top Bottom